PDA

View Full Version : Life Job Applications

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I am currently applying for a position and the application is probably 20 pages. It asks for everything from relatives to finances. My question to the smart ones is. I have student loan debt, auto loan, and a couple small balance credit cards. How bad does this hurt me?

pr_capone
01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Depends on the job you are trying to get. If it includes some sort of security clearance... I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Dog
01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Not at all, that's all "normal" debt.

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 04:05 PM
It's a law enforcement career. I am not behind on any of my debts and the car payment is under my wife and I. It's been over two years since I missed a payment and my credit score is average with the rest of the world.

Fairplay
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Are you going to work for TSA and frisk people?

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Are you going to work for TSA and frisk people?

Nope, arresting people yes.

WebGem
01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't see why any of that would affect you getting a job, it's all very normal stuff.

BigRedChief
01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I am currently applying for a position and the application is probably 20 pages. It asks for everything from relatives to finances. My question to the smart ones is. I have student loan debt, auto loan, and a couple small balance credit cards. How bad does this hurt me?Don't lie, don't fudge and be totally truthful. No matter how many years pass if they catch you in a lie, your fired immediately. Even if what you were covering up would have been okay. Just be honest and let the chips fall where they may.

Get your credit rating checked. It's free to see if there is false bs on there you need to correct.

BigRedChief
01-08-2011, 04:13 PM
What job are you applying for....something with the Government?

I've never had an application be more than 3 or 4 pages.

And to answer your question...it all depends on what type of position you are applying for.I've filled 86 page ones.

R8RFAN
Not at all, that's all "normal" debt.

Debt is not normal, Debt Free is Normal :thumb:

Old Dog
I assume that the vast majority of it is security clearance type paperwork?

Just a little tip, if you want the job, don't fill out any portion of your YW clearance in crayon. They frown on that.

WebGem
01-08-2011, 04:14 PM

You're a fucking moron

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't lie, don't fudge and be totally truthful. No matter how many years pass if they catch you in a lie, your fired immediately. Even if what you were covering up would have been okay. Just be honest and let the chips fall where they may.

Get your credit rating checked. It's free to see if there is false bs on there you need to correct.

Thanks

I checked it a few months back and found nothing. I checked it two summers ago and found out that my mother stole my identity. She fixed it and it was removed. I can't lie on my application due to getting a polygraph later. They are law enforcement, they will find everything. I work for a sheriffs office now as a jailer and I had one criminal mistake four years ago (DUI dismissed).

BigRedChief
01-08-2011, 04:15 PM
It's a law enforcement career. I am not behind on any of my debts and the car payment is under my wife and I. It's been over two years since I missed a payment and my credit score is average with the rest of the world.make sure you explain why that happened and why your situation is different now, that it won't happen again.

When I worked at Homeland Security they rejected 68% of the applications because of financial concerns with their credit.

R8RFAN
01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
You're a ****ing moron

And I bet you are in debt :thumb:

-King-
01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I've filled 86 page ones.

For what? President of the united states?

86 pages. Jeeeez!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
01-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks

I checked it a few months back and found nothing. I checked it two summers ago and found out that my mother stole my identity. She fixed it and it was removed. I can't lie on my application due to getting a polygraph later. They are law enforcement, they will find everything. I work for a sheriffs office now as a jailer and I had one criminal mistake four years ago (DUI dismissed).make sure you explain that in great detail. As much as you can possibly remember. Shows your openess and that you realize that you have to give uo some of your privacy rights to hold this position. That as far as your criminal and financial situation in life goes....they know it all now and forever going forward. Thats the trade off.

BigRedChief
01-08-2011, 04:21 PM

86 pages. Jeeeez!!!
Posted via Mobile Deviceobligatory............If I told you I would have to kill you.

I've filled out that same form 3 frikking times. Got the same set of fingerprints 8 frinkking times.

WebGem
01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
And I bet you are in debt :thumb:

No, actually I'm not at all. You're just a fucking idiot.

Extra Point
01-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Leave it to the government to rake you over the coals for carrying debt.

Old Dog
01-08-2011, 04:26 PM

86 pages. Jeeeez!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Not completely uncommon really, for someone working with highly classified info. The written securtiy clearance portion of some include things such as every address you've ever lived at along with persons who knew you then and their current addresses, addresses of relatives (including cemetary addresses if applicable), and a plethora of other crap I assure you you won't just pull off of teh top of your head.

The YW I spoke of earlier was for a position in the White House while I was in the military. I told them I didn't want it, they made me fill out the paperwork and was told I would interview anyway. I filled out four pages of it in crayon and oddly enough (after more than a few ass chewings) they didn't select me.

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Does the negative mark kill me? That was 2 1/2 years ago. I really want this career and this is where my wife wants to finish college. My score is at medium risk.

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I just want the interview, I just don't want it to be "another" application they received.

Old Dog
01-08-2011, 04:30 PM
It certainly won't help, but fill it out and don't sweat it. Like BRC said, be completely honest and that's all you can do. It isn't like you can go back and change it.

Bugeater
01-08-2011, 04:35 PM
No, actually I'm not at all. You're just a fucking idiot.
Yes, he is.

threebag
01-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Question 2a. Where you ever bullied or made fun of by your peers in school?

if no continue, if yes go to the last page of application

-King-
01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Not completely uncommon really, for someone working with highly classified info. The written securtiy clearance portion of some include things such as every address you've ever lived at along with persons who knew you then and their current addresses, addresses of relatives (including cemetary addresses if applicable), and a plethora of other crap I assure you you won't just pull off of teh top of your head.

The YW I spoke of earlier was for a position in the White House while I was in the military. I told them I didn't want it, they made me fill out the paperwork and was told I would interview anyway. I filled out four pages of it in crayon and oddly enough (after more than a few ass chewings) they didn't select me.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: I'm in tears. Are you serious?

Old Dog
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Are you serious?
I swear, every bit of that is the honest truth.
I took more than a few ass chewings for it, and was threatened with UCMJ action, but had no desire to move back to that part of the country and even less to work in the White House. It worked. Of course when I mysteriously came down on deployment orders AGAIN less than two weeks after that it wasn't a big suprise.

All in all, I would do it again.

-King-
01-08-2011, 04:53 PM
I took more than a few ass chewings for it, and was threatened with UCMJ action, but had no desire to move back to that part of the country and even less to work in the White House. It worked. Of course when I mysteriously came down on deployment orders AGAIN less than two weeks after that it wasn't a big suprise.

You have no idea how awesome that is man. ROFL

jspchief
01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Previous DUI? Unless things have changed, you aren't getting the job.

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Previous DUI? Unless things have changed, you aren't getting the job.

I would say things have changed. One of the deputys I work with has one. Most qualifications to these jobs are no felonys, domestic violence, or pending criminal cases.

Buehler445
01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Don't lie, don't fudge and be totally truthful. No matter how many years pass if they catch you in a lie, your fired immediately. Even if what you were covering up would have been okay. Just be honest and let the chips fall where they may.

make sure you explain that in great detail. As much as you can possibly remember. Shows your openess and that you realize that you have to give uo some of your privacy rights to hold this position. That as far as your criminal and financial situation in life goes....they know it all now and forever going forward. Thats the trade off.

Listen to this man. You have what you have, nothing is going to change that. Just put it out there.

Slayer Diablo
01-08-2011, 06:01 PM

ROFL :LOL:

How did you have a crayon in the first place?

Old Dog
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
ROFL :LOL:

How did you have a crayon in the first place?

I filled it out at home. You don't fill that thing out at work in an afternoon.
If you're talking about the deployment part, I had been home for almost three months from the previous one. They just hit me pretty much back to back.

Slayer Diablo
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I filled it out at home. You don't fill that thing out at work in an afternoon.
If you're talking about the deployment part, I had been home for almost three months from the previous one. They just hit me pretty much back to back.

Ah, I could see that...good thing they didn't hand it to you after lunch and tell you to have it done by 5.

BigRedChief
01-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Not completely uncommon really, for someone working with highly classified info. The written securtiy clearance portion of some include things such as every address you've ever lived at along with persons who knew you then and their current addresses, addresses of relatives (including cemetary addresses if applicable), and a plethora of other crap I assure you you won't just pull off of teh top of your head.What hospital was your grandma born at? Whats the address?

Reerun_KC
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey Homeboy? You moving down here?

Dunit35
01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Hey Homeboy? You moving down here?

Doubt it, she doesn't think she will get into the medical program she needs to get into.

Dunit35
03-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Taking a polygraph tomorrow for stage 2 of the application. Trying to keep myself from getting too nervous.

Saul Good
03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Good luck.

BigRedChief
03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Taking a polygraph tomorrow for stage 2 of the application. Trying to keep myself from getting too nervous.Just be honest. Let the chips fall where they may fall.

I'll never take a polygraph. I'm afraid that they would ask about beastility and I'd flunk it. I'd take a polygraph if something happened and they asked if I had anything to do with it or something like that but......the full scope poly?????

Dunit35
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Just be honest. Let the chips fall where they may fall.

I'll never take a polygraph. I'm afraid that they would ask about beastility and I'd flunk it. I'd take a polygraph if something happened and they asked if I had anything to do with it or something like that but......the full scope poly?????

I have nothing to hide that would fail me and I'm horrible at lying so there is no point in it. They said upwards of three hours and I get nervously easily. I'll tell the truth the entire time and still be nervous.

I've never done hard drugs, I rarely drink, never stole from an employer, never been involved with a minor, etc.

I do feel like I have a buttload of pressure from people.

Bugeater
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
3 hours? Damn.

BigRedChief
03-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I have nothing to hide that would fail me and I'm horrible at lying so there is no point in it. They said upwards of three hours and I get nervously easily. I'll tell the truth the entire time and still be nervous.

I've never done hard drugs, I rarely drink, never stole from an employer, never been involved with a minor, etc.

I do feel like I have a buttload of pressure from people.I wasn't a very good person for a lot of years. More interested in self gratification and partying than caring about the state of my fellow man. But, the last 21 years or so I've tried to be a more solid citzen. Give a chit about the state of my fellow man.

Where I work in very short order everyone knows what kind of person you really are. You can't hide or BS for very long. You get called on it and shown the door very uncermoniously. It really does help you be the better person that you are striving to be.

Buehler445
03-02-2011, 08:58 PM

I do feel like I have a buttload of pressure from people.

If I were you, I'd get worked up at the beginning so your baseline is nervous.

Dunit35
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
That was a nerve racking 2 1/2 hours. I passed it and
no questions were weird.

Pushead2
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
That was a nerve racking 2 1/2 hours. I passed it and
no questions were weird.

did you ever put the acronym "PIIHB" on Chiefs Planet

congrats on passing!

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I got a call today about another application I put in last Thursday. I'm still waiting on the other application (through sources I was told I was at the top of the final six applicants for five openings). Two weeks ago they said it would be another four to six weeks.

They want me to come in for an interview this week. Long story short, my fiance says it's too far of a drive for her school (40 minutes) and I disagree. The 1st application is in the same town as her family and school. I'm not completely dismissing the 1st application, I just don't want to get my hopes up too much and keep my options open unless the 1st application fails.

What do I do? She's pretty pissed about the 2nd application even though I'm honestly just keeping my options open.

mikey23545
05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
40 minutes?

I'll be honest...that does not sound like a very reasonable or mature woman...

-King-
05-02-2011, 05:11 PM
40 minutes is not that far especially if it's a very good job.

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Well it's a PD job, so pay is never fantastic. It pays the same as the 1st application but the population is 45,000 less...so cost of living is cheaper and less places to go. But Oklahoma City is a 30 minute drive.

Pants
05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
40 minutes is nothing. I would dump her, my man,

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
40 minutes is nothing. I would dump her, my man,

We are getting married the 21st.

I am pretty pissed at her, feel like she is being selfish?

Reerun_KC
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Seriously? Still trying to brag about this shit?

Pants
05-02-2011, 05:31 PM

I was just messing with you, man. LOL

I don't know whether she's being selfish or not. I do know that I drove 40 minutes each way for almost a year. The drive to work didn't bother me because it was kind of like 'mediation time'. The drive back sucked balls because you just wanted to be home. Also, keep the weather in mind. Do you really want your wife driving 40 minutes one way when it's sleeting and the roads are freezing?

eazyb81
05-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Wait, so is she the one that will have to drive 40 minutes or is it you?

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I was just messing with you, man. LOL

I don't know whether she's being selfish or not. I do know that I drove 40 minutes each way for almost a year. The drive to work didn't bother me because it was kind of like 'mediation time'. The drive back sucked balls because you just wanted to be home. Also, keep the weather in mind. Do you really want your wife driving 40 minutes one way when it's sleeting and the roads are freezing?

She brought up the weather factor, bring out all the stops.

Like I said, it's all about not ruining other options while I'm waiting on my 1st application. I don't want to eventually be turned down and lose out on my 2nd application because of the waiting game with the 1st.

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Wait, so is she the one that will have to drive 40 minutes or is it you?

She is...18 months worth of driving back and forth. five days a week. Her family does live in the same town as her school.

Reerun_KC
05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Where you all going to move to?

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Where you all going to move to?

Probably either Enid or Kingfisher.

Reerun_KC
05-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Probably either Enid or Kingfisher. Sweet!

Were moving to Norman in 3-5 weeks.

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Norman....ghey.

I can see it now...reerun=newest OU fan.

Reerun_KC
05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Norman....ghey.

Yeah its gay for sure... But we need to be closer to work and stuff. So its best for us to move down there.

We are moving Cody to CCS so he can play golf in High school.

DaFace
05-02-2011, 06:12 PM
40 minutes?

I'll be honest...that does not sound like a very reasonable or mature woman...

40 minutes is not that far especially if it's a very good job.

What these guys said. I mean, it's all about your priorities, but 40 minutes is about average around here. I work with a guy who has a 2-hour commute.

Simplex3
05-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I have a 35 minute commute each way right now and it sucks. I don't plan on renewing my contract with this customer because of it. Besides, there's nothing saying YOU can't be the one driving 40m each way.

Saul Good
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I got a call today about another application I put in last Thursday. I'm still waiting on the other application (through sources I was told I was at the top of the final six applicants for five openings). Two weeks ago they said it would be another four to six weeks.

They want me to come in for an interview this week. Long story short, my fiance says it's too far of a drive for her school (40 minutes) and I disagree. The 1st application is in the same town as her family and school. I'm not completely dismissing the 1st application, I just don't want to get my hopes up too much and keep my options open unless the 1st application fails.

What do I do? She's pretty pissed about the 2nd application even though I'm honestly just keeping my options open.

Unless I'm reading something incorrectly, it sounds like the job is 40 minutes away from her school. Can you move somewhere in between so that you both have a 20 minute drive, or do you have to live in the town because it's for the PD?

Either way, she is being selfish. She can drive her ass back and forth for 18 months while you support the household financially. I'm far from convinced that she's emotionally mature enough for marriage.

58-4ever
05-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah its gay for sure... But we need to be closer to work and stuff. So its best for us to move down there.

We are moving Cody to CCS so he can play golf in High school.

Norman >>>>>> than Edmond.

Dunit35
05-02-2011, 06:46 PM
The career requires in town residency.

And yes, for the most part I will be supporting us. She does get around 800 a month during school for national gaurd.

I'd drive 40 minutes for her all day everyday.

Saul Good
05-02-2011, 06:48 PM
The career requires in town residency.

And yes, for the most part I will be supporting us. She does get around 800 a month during school for national gaurd.

I'd drive 40 minutes for her all day everyday.

Then she can either find a way to pay all expenses on $800 a month or STFU and be damned grateful that she has a man who is willing and able to subsidize her pampered existence.

Phobia
05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
What you should do is just let her push you around before you're even married because it definitely improves after you're married.

I wouldn't want to drive 40 minutes but it's a temporary thing and jobs are hard to come by. It's not like her school is the only one in the world. If the drive is too arduous then she can transfer or stay with her family M-F. Tons of options available.

Lots of people from small towns can't fathom a 40 minute commute. They wouldn't dream of it, so that's probably part of it.

Bugeater
05-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Shit, I live in a decent sized city and I can't fathom a 40 minute commute. I get mad if it takes me more than 15 minutes to get to/from work.

Dunit35
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I had my written test and interview today. Pending a physical and psychological test I am hired. There were 9 applicants with 6 openings and I placed 4th. We are pumped.

|Zach|
07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Congrats!

BigRedChief
07-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I had my written test and interview today. Pending a physical and psychological test I am hired. There were 9 applicants with 6 openings and I placed 4th. We are pumped.

Cool :thumb:

Mosbonian
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Looking for a job sucks right now

58-4ever
07-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Norman....ghey.

Norman is one of the best towns in the country.

Simply Red
07-22-2011, 10:24 PM
truebigdog has a lot of interesting stories, he's really coming into 'his own' as a poster, keep doing your thing TBD.