PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Cassel Postgame Comments

Tribal Warfare
01-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Matt Cassel Postgame Comments (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Matt-Cassel-Postgame-Comments/7a8f6e4e-0c3d-452c-acef-5b9af0eecaf1)

By PR Staff

Posted 1 hour ago
Opening Statement: “This one hurts. It really does sting because I felt coming in that we had an opportunity to win. We had a great week of practice. It really came down to the second half and it came down to turnovers. We all know that in playoff football you can’t turn the ball over and it starts with me. I forced a few balls in there and it did not turn out well. As leader of the team and a leader of the offense, I can’t do that. Our hats go off to the Ravens. They’re obviously a good team. They have a good defense. We knew that coming in. Hopefully they do well going forward. But, this one definitely hurts a little bit.”

Do you feel that on your best day you could have beaten the Ravens?

Cassel:“Absolutely, I don’t feel like they are such a superior team to us that we didn’t have an opportunity in this game. We went into the half at 10-7 and the game was in reach. We got into the second half and it was just a lot of bad football on our part.”

Stats-wise you’ve had a couple of bad games in a row. What does this tell you that you need to work on or improve on in the offseason?

Cassel: “That’s a good question. Right now, I don’t know if we’ve laid out a plan for the offseason. Like I said, this is a tough loss. We’ll take a few weeks, we’ll go back and re-evaluate the film from the year, and see what we can work on to get better for next year.”

It seems you are a big fan of Charlie’s [Weis]. He’s clearly helped you a lot. How were you able to not let the fact that he is leaving be a distraction the last couple of weeks?

Cassel: “Like I’ve said before, I think we’ve gone on ‘business as usual.’ Nothing has changed around the stadium at all. Our relationship has stayed the same. And, nothing has changed on his part. He’s still in there. He’s working hard. He’s doing everything he can to put us in the best position to win. For us, nothing has really changed. Going forward, we are going to definitely miss him. But, that’s football. That’s the NFL.”

Do you know when Weis stops becoming the Chiefs offensive coordinator? Will he look at tape with you? Will he still coach you or, is he gone tomorrow?

Cassel:“I don’t really know, to be completely honest. I don’t know if he’s leaving tomorrow or if he’ll leave tonight or if he’ll be here another week. I’ll go in like everybody else tomorrow and we’ll kind of figure it out.”

Do the numbers the last two games shake you at all – shake your confidence?

Cassel:“Obviously, I’m upset about it. I would’ve loved to come in here and thrown for 300 yards and walked out of here with a victory. But, it also doesn’t take away from the fact that we did have a great season. I was happy with my performance throughout most of the season and it just makes you want to work that much harder when you go into the offseason.”

In the third quarter, there were a lot of mistakes made that were not necessarily characteristic of this team. How difficult is it to get control of the game when all of that starts happening?

Cassel:“It is a great question. It was difficult, at that point, when things started to unravel and things started to go south. It was one bad thing after another. Somehow you just have to try to stop the bleeding and we weren’t able to do that.”

How tough was that third quarter when you see mistake after mistake? In this environment, that’s pretty difficult to take.

Cassel: “It is difficult. There’s no easy way to handle it. You just try to stop it and you try to continue to move forward. But, we weren’t able to overcome it today.”

Was WR Dwayne Bowe not open today? How come he wasn’t targeted or thrown at?

Cassel:“I think he was a big part of the game plan and unfortunately, most of the day, they double teamed him. They did a good job covering him today.”

Did you audible to the handoff on the touchdown?

Cassel:“It was a ‘check with me’ play. It was based on the look that they gave us. I went to the opposite direction.”

Did they have you uncertain at all when you were throwing the ball?

Cassel:“They do a good job of mixing up their coverages. But, for the most part, I think we did a good job. I knew where I wanted to go with the ball. There were some times where I forced it in the third quarter and I can’t do that.”

WV
01-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Cassel:“They do a good job of mixing up their coverages. But, for the most part, I think we did a good job. I knew where I wanted to go with the ball. There were some times where I forced it in the third quarter and I can’t do that.”

Oh no, he was certain that is wasn't going where it needed to. Good job my ass....he has some big stones to make that last statement.

01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
all I know is Bowe was open several times and he never even looked at him.

Thig Lyfe
01-09-2011, 07:10 PM
His opening and closing statement should have been "I hereby retire from the game of football, forever, effective immediately."

BigMeatballDave
01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Well, at least he pointed the finger at himself.

Thig Lyfe
01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
all I know is Bowe was open several times and he never even looked at him.

Nope, he was blanketed the entire time, as were the other receivers. googlegoogle told me so, and he has a genious football IQ.

Reerun_KC
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Wow, text book answers from Cassel...

Welcome to the offseason folks...

kcwild
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Stats-wise you’ve had a couple of bad games in a row. What does this tell you that you need to work on or improve on in the offseason?

Cassel: “That’s a good question. Right now, I don’t know if we’ve laid out a plan for the offseason."

WOW...Doesn't even know what he needs to work on, he's waiting to be told where he sucks!

That sums it up for me.

DeezNutz
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM

Fail.

InChiefsHeaven
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
oh for fucks sake. everyone sucked in this game. Goddam Jamaal "He needs more carries" Charles fucking fumbled the shit away...Cassel shits the bed, fucking defense can't do it all...look...we were young, we had no business being here and it was proven. We have a lot of work to do...we need O-line, WR, and Linebacker help...Cassel is the least of our problems, but he is a problem. This game pissed me off, but I should have expected it. We all should have.

Extra Point
01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I want the team to do four film critique interviews with the OC candidates. That's how shit gets done. Take the best of all the mix, and give the team some input. This identification is all part of the learning/coaching process. If the NFLPA local isn't down with that, then, their hearts aren't so much into the sport.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-09-2011, 07:44 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
RT @hayden2004: well today showed why chiefs need mcdaniels think it happens? ... I don't. McDaniels will be somewhere, not KC.

ForeverChiefs58
01-09-2011, 07:50 PM
when Weis first came here, he said his job was going to be to fix Matt Cassel. Maybe he left because he realized that was just an impossible job to do. Sure he could help mask it as long as possible, but when we played anyone decent he would be exposed. :shrug: Just a thought

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
SI_PeterKing Peter King
RT @Kris1980: @SI_PeterKing @SI_PeterKing Any news on McDaniels in Minn? ... Just know Leslie Frazier would really like to hire him.