PDA

View Full Version : Life Any North Carolinians around?

Rain Man
01-10-2011, 08:26 AM
I need to drive from Charlotte to Raleigh today and am getting wildly conflicting reports on conditions. Anyone in the area willing to advise me on whether I should get on I85 and I40? As a Coloradan it doesn't seem that bad, but if the locals are freaked out I don't want to end up getting killed by a sliding Greensboro semi.

HonestChieffan
01-10-2011, 08:35 AM
The highway department there used to have great road condition reports on their website.

WV
01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
An inch if snow can shut places like this down, people don't know how to drive in it and the cities don't know how to handle it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I lived in Fayetteville for 7 years, those people are idiots when the weather is bad. If the conditions are bad play it safe. We don't need CP members dead.

Rain Man
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
The highway department there used to have great road condition reports on their website.

It's weird. Their highway cams look like they're live and they're showing a nice sunny day, but then they say the roads are snow covered and there are local reports saying there are already 9 inches on the ground in Graham (a city en route).

I guess I'll believe the cameras, but I hope they're not just pro-tourism still photos from 1978.

Infidel Goat
01-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Very light flurries in Winston-Salem (30 miles west of Greensboro). Nothing sticking yet.

I'd guess Greensboro is the same. I'm hearing that the system might eventually move far enough north to clip Raleigh.

For now, I think you concern is getting from Charlotte to Greensboro. Charlotte, as I understand, has a couple of inches.

kc rush
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.eilivesurf.com/livecams.asp

Snow on the beach in one of our favorite places - Emerald Isle, NC.

Simply Red
01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I need to drive from Charlotte to Raleigh today and am getting wildly conflicting reports on conditions. Anyone in the area willing to advise me on whether I should get on I85 and I40? As a Coloradan it doesn't seem that bad, but if the locals are freaked out I don't want to end up getting killed by a sliding Greensboro semi.

it's not the locals'freaking out' it's their lack of removal equipment, and I85 (i can say) will have had the most activity on it, so it may be the clearest. But not sure, we're all iced/snowed in, here in Atlanta.

Simply Red
01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
An inch if snow can shut places like this down, people don't know how to drive in it and the cities don't know how to handle it.

yes, due to NO removal equipment.

Ultra Peanut
01-10-2011, 10:20 AM
The south is adorable.

Simply Red
01-10-2011, 10:34 AM
The south is adorable.

you were just in the wrong part, glad to see you found the new digs, though. Unexpected that you'd choose Boston, why did you, anyhow?

Rain Man
01-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I made it to raleigh. in charlotte everyone was acting like the apocalypse was arriving. downtown was deserted, my meeting was canceled after I flew all the way here and then drove three hours, and the guy in front of me at the 7/11 was saying that his wife was asking her boss for a hotel room because she couldn't get out. and it was three inches, maybe four, of which half had already melted on the roads. in colorado that's what we call a heavy frost.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
I made it to raleigh. in charlotte everyone was acting like the apocalypse was arriving. downtown was deserted, my meeting was canceled after I flew all the here and then drove three hours, and the guy in front of me at the 7/11 was saying that his wife was asking her boss for a hotel room because she couldn't get out. and it was three inches, maybe four, of which half had already melted on the roads. in colorado that's what we call a heavy frost.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is lame on an incredible level.

Rain Man
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
This is lame on an incredible level.

tell me about it. if I could insert an angry smiley on my phone, I would.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
That's the South, for you. Here in Nashville, we received two or three inches of snow last night and they declared the city a disaster area, Mr. Rain Man.

By the way, don't ask directions from the Raleigh guy with the one tooth and the wandering left eyeball. I did that once and it didn't work out very well. From time to time, I still find myself wondering where my suitcase and my best banjo are.

FAX

Chiefspants
01-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Lol, I have lol'd so much from reading this thread, Thanks CP, I really needed this today.

Inspector
01-10-2011, 02:05 PM
The south is adorable.

Is that Matt Cassel in drag on your avatar?