PDA

View Full Version : Weather OMG Wichita public Schools 259 are CLOSED tuesday Jan 11

Gracie Dean
01-10-2011, 09:44 PM
This is epic

This is monumental

They do not close for much of anything and if/when they do, they don't make the call until 5:30 AM

This came out before 10 pm the night before

It must be really frikin cold and the superintendent must have had a little slide on his way home

Saulbadguy
01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
This is epic

This is monumental

THIS IS.....SPARTA

journeyscarab
01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
No doubt. Grew up in USD259...they do not close for ANYTHING! I remember going to school with near blizzard conditions back in the 70's. The teachers let us have hot chocolate at our desks, which was pretty cool. Wind was whipping so bad the power went out a few times, but came back on and we had to come back the next day.

Enjoy it!

01-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Hell USD 501 has closed for two days in a row tomorrow. It's rare that they will close either.

Bugeater
01-10-2011, 11:31 PM
It irritates the hell out of me when they call off school, but I understand why they have to do it. I just wish they would tack on all the snow days to the end of the school year.

01-10-2011, 11:33 PM
It irritates the hell out of me when they call off school, but I understand why they have to do it. I just wish they would tack on all the snow days to the end of the school year.OUr district used to have 3 built in snow days to avoid make up days but they took them out this year so they are making everything up now. Everyone in the district is pissed now. I would hate to be the teachers or families that scheduled a vacation the day after school let out like we did last year.

Bugeater
01-10-2011, 11:34 PM
OUr district used to have 3 built in snow days to avoid make up days but they took them out this year so they are making everything up now. Everyone in the district is pissed now.
I can't see why, they already get an absurd amount of time off as it is.

01-10-2011, 11:36 PM
I can't see why, they already get an absurd amount of time off as it is.The summer is getting shorter and shorter is part of it. Nobody wants to see year round school.

OH, and if you are jealous, be a teacher. :)

doomy3
01-10-2011, 11:37 PM
This is an epic and monumental thread.

luv
01-10-2011, 11:38 PM
My nieces are always wanting snow days, but then whine when their Spring Break is non-existent.

pr_capone
01-10-2011, 11:40 PM

Bugeater is a Skip mult???

:p

01-10-2011, 11:40 PM
My nieces are always wanting snow days, but then whine when their Spring Break is non-existent.That is worse than taking it off of summer break. Many go skiing on spring break.

01-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Bugeater is a Skip mult???

:pHe took over Skip's mantle months ago.

Bugeater
01-10-2011, 11:42 PM
The summer is getting shorter and shorter is part of it. Nobody wants to see year round school.

OH, and if you are jealous, be a teacher. :)
Oh yeah, I can see how 2 months wouldn't be a long enough vacation for them. And I'm not jealous, it's just hard to feel sorry for someone who already gets that much time off.

luv
01-10-2011, 11:44 PM

If you're talking about summer, I know many teachers who teach summer school, go back to school to learn any updates in their area of study, provide tutoring, etc. I don't think there are many, teachers anyway, who get summers completely off.

01-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah, I can see how 2 months wouldn't be a long enough vacation for them. And I'm not jealous, it's just hard to feel sorry for someone who already gets that much time off.First off, no overtime pay at all. Several times they are required to give up their nights to talk to ungrateful parents.

It all evens out.

01-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Keep in mind, not all school districts are like New Jersey's.

pr_capone
01-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah, I can see how 2 months wouldn't be a long enough vacation for them. And I'm not jealous, it's just hard to feel sorry for someone who already gets that much time off.

My wife is a teacher. She is in the middle of her 14th year now. Every year we have been together, she spends the majority of her "vacation" taking classes to renew endorsements, attending seminars and symposiums, becoming familiar with new textbooks, as well as preparing her classroom for the next school year.

During the school year, she works until 7pm on most nights and brings home papers to grade. She spends time at parent teacher conferences dealing with parents who want to be at the school just as much as their kids want to be there.

All for well under what ANYONE with a Masters Degree should earn. Hell, I have just a HS diploma and nearly earn as much as she does.

Any given summer, she gives herself 14 days, including weekends, just for herself.

It really isn't the sweet gig is sounds like.

01-10-2011, 11:48 PM
My wife is a teacher. She is in the middle of her 14th year now. Every year we have been together, she spends the majority of her "vacation" taking classes to renew endorsements, attending seminars and symposiums, becoming familiar with new textbooks, as well as preparing her classroom for the next school year.

Any given summer, she gives herself 14 days, including weekends, just for herself.

It really isn't the sweet gig is sounds like.Evil teachers. How dare they take any time for themselves. :)

luv
01-10-2011, 11:49 PM

You know what it's like to put up with your kid. Think about someone who has to put up with umpteen ones just like him all day, everyday. :p

01-10-2011, 11:50 PM
You know what it's like to put up with your kid. Think about someone who has to put up with umpteen ones just like him all day, everyday. :pLMAO

Bugeater
01-10-2011, 11:54 PM
First off, no overtime pay at all. Several times they are required to give up their nights to talk to ungrateful parents.

It all evens out.
Eh maybe so. Whatever. It's really the kids being off that drives me nuts, it's just more time for them to fuck up my house.

pr_capone
01-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Eh maybe so. Whatever. It's really the kids being off that drives me nuts, it's just more time for them to **** up my house.

And the truth shall set you free Brother Bugeater!

01-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Eh maybe so. Whatever. It's really the kids being off that drives me nuts, it's just more time for them to **** up my house.Believe me, I understand that. Imagine what I deal with being a day sleeper. I don't look forward to summer outside of my vacation time.

luv
01-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Believe me, I understand that. Imagine what I deal with being a day sleeper. I don't look forward to summer outside of my vacation time.

Well, I should think you only have you and your wife to blame for that. :p

01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Well, I should think you only have you and your wife to blame for that. :pSTFU :p LMAO o:-)

WebGem
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
UNL was closed today and is closed tomorrow. I think tomorrow's just because it's syllabus week though, I hope. If I wake up to 10 inches of show again I'm gonna be pissed.

LiveSteam
01-11-2011, 12:08 AM
My 3rd grader is in a year round school system hear in Omaha. Its the bomb. She will get out for summer vacation with the rest of the kids . But starts back up on July 7th. Then get a lil break the last week of sept. threw first week of Oct.
same amount of days as all kids have to do. Vacation time is just broke up different

Bugeater
01-11-2011, 12:12 AM
UNL was closed today and is closed tomorrow. I think tomorrow's just because it's syllabus week though, I hope. If I wake up to 10 inches of show again I'm gonna be pissed.
It's going to be the wind tomorrow. The rest of this month is going to be miserable, but it's still not as bad as last year was.

Bugeater
01-11-2011, 12:14 AM
My 3rd grader is in a year round school system hear in Omaha. Its the bomb. She will get out for summer vacation with the rest of the kids . But starts back up on July 7th. Then get a lil break the last week of sept. threw first week of Oct.
same amount of days as all kids have to do. Vacation time is just broke up different
They need to go year round without any damn vacation at all. Hell they can still give the teachers the time off for all I care, just lock the heathens in the school and let them fend for themselves. Maybe drop some food through a hole in the roof every couple days.

pr_capone
01-11-2011, 12:15 AM
They need to go year round without any damn vacation at all. Hell they can still give the teachers the time off for all I care, just lock the heathens in the school and let them fend for themselves. Maybe drop some food through a hole in the roof every couple days.

LMFAO

LiveSteam
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
That was funny

01-11-2011, 12:26 AM
They need to go year round without any damn vacation at all. Hell they can still give the teachers the time off for all I care, just lock the heathens in the school and let them fend for themselves. Maybe drop some food through a hole in the roof every couple days.At least we know your animosity was not directed at the teachers now. LMAO

Chiefspants
01-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm rather incensed that USD 313 is looking to be on again tomorrow, piss.

WebGem
01-11-2011, 12:45 AM
It's going to be the wind tomorrow. The rest of this month is going to be miserable, but it's still not as bad as last year was.

Wind I can deal with, I just won't go outside unless I'm gonna go drive and it's only a 10 foot walk to my car. But today when I got to my car I had to spend 20 fucking minutes getting all the snow out of the way. And I had no idea it even snowed until I walked outside.

Bugeater
01-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Wind I can deal with, I just won't go outside unless I'm gonna go drive and it's only a 10 foot walk to my car. But today when I got to my car I had to spend 20 fucking minutes getting all the snow out of the way. And I had no idea it even snowed until I walked outside.
:spock: They were calling for the storm since the middle of last week. Don't you ever check the weather forecast?

LiveSteam
01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Wind I can deal with, I just won't go outside unless I'm gonna go drive and it's only a 10 foot walk to my car. But today when I got to my car I had to spend 20 ****ing minutes getting all the snow out of the way. And I had no idea it even snowed until I walked outside.

I had to go threw that bull shit this morning with the van.
But once I was out driving around. It sure was beautiful with all the fresh snow on every thing. But now I have had my fill of pretty.
So the shit needs to go away

WebGem
01-11-2011, 12:53 AM
:spock: They were calling for the storm since the middle of last week. Don't you ever check the weather forecast?

LOL No I never pay attention to shit like that.

Phobia
01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
You really need facebook, Pam.

joesomebody
01-11-2011, 01:11 AM
LMAO Was kind of thinking the same thing. Btw, is it a Kansas thing that refers to school districts by a number?

All of the ones I'm used to here in Missouri go by town or city names. Sometimes in bigger cities, with more than one school, schools will have a unique name, (Rock Bridge here in columbia) but I never hear of them as District 249 etc.

|Zach|
01-11-2011, 01:15 AM

LMAO

Mr. Plow
01-11-2011, 07:40 AM
LMAO Was kind of thinking the same thing. Btw, is it a Kansas thing that refers to school districts by a number?

All of the ones I'm used to here in Missouri go by town or city names. Sometimes in bigger cities, with more than one school, schools will have a unique name, (Rock Bridge here in columbia) but I never hear of them as District 249 etc.

Not sure if it's just a Kansas thing or not. But my disctrict (308) refers to all of the public schools which would be the high school, 2 junior high schools, and about 10 grade schools - so when they close 308, all the schools are off.