PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Playoff loss illustrates Chiefs’ problems at wide receiver

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Playoff loss illustrates Chiefs’ problems at wide receiver (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/10/2575187/playoff-loss-illustrates-chiefs.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs were so disturbed about the state of their wide receivers heading into preparations for Sunday’s playoff game that they signed veteran Kevin Curtis, who was sitting at home looking for work.

The 30-7 loss to Baltimore showed their concern was in the right place. The Chiefs were outplayed to the extent that even having Roddy White and Reggie Wayne, the NFL’s two top pass catchers this season, wouldn’t have made much of a difference.

But the game showed how much that upgrading the position needs to be a point of emphasis during the offseason.

The Chiefs completed just six passes to their wide receivers, the longest for 8 yards to Dexter McCluster. Their Pro Bowl wide receiver, Dwayne Bowe, not only didn’t catch a pass, but the Chiefs never threw one his way.

“It happened, but that’s over,” Bowe said Monday. “Their defense schemed around me to take me out of it, and that’s exactly what they did. We’ve just got to find ways to move the ball better.

“I felt like I was open some plays and could’ve gotten the ball. If I had another guy over there, who knows how the game could have gone?”

Quarterback Matt Cassel indicated the Chiefs were trying to get the ball to Bowe but the Ravens wouldn’t let them.

“Out of the first five passes or six passes we threw, he was the primary target on all of them,” Cassel said. “They just did an outstanding job of covering him.

“They tried to control the run game with their front seven and a lot of times they were able to roll a safety over the top of him and put a defensive corner right in front of him so he was double-teamed most of the day.”

Otherwise on Sunday, the Chiefs had the 32-year-old Curtis, who signed last Wednesday, as well as rookies McCluster and Verran Tucker and another veteran, Terrance Copper, playing at wide receiver. Tucker and Copper are with the Chiefs mainly because of their special-teams skills.

Unavailable Sunday was Chris Chambers, the Chiefs’ best wide receiver last season. Chambers finished an unusual season in a bizarre way: He was again healthy but not suited up for the game.

“I had kind of seen the writing on the wall a little bit because my (snaps) were being cut in practice and I still wasn’t getting any information about it from my receiving coach,” Chambers said. “I’m a veteran receiver with the most playoff experience, and you’d think they’d want me out there, and that wasn’t the case. I still haven’t talked to the coach about it yet.”

Coach Todd Haley was unavailable Monday to speak regarding Chambers. The Chiefs re-signed Chambers last offseason but have clearly given up on him. He was also scratched from the lineup three times during the regular season.

Chambers wasn’t getting open as often as he did last season. He caught 22 passes with one touchdown but was more productive toward the end of the regular season.

He said Monday that he would have given the Chiefs more had he not been yanked from the lineup so many times.

“I’m not the type of receiver that’s going to (play well) coming off the bench,” he said. “They started a rookie (Tucker) ahead of me for a couple of games. I know we’re trying to get other guys looks, but I feel I didn’t get a fair shake as far as being out there and making (catches). I know me. I know I can be extremely streaky at times, and if there was a game or two dedicated to just getting me the ball and getting me going, I think I would have done more towards the end here, but that wasn’t the case.

“I thought we started to get a little something going a few games ago. I thought I was getting back to form, and all of a sudden we get to the biggest game of the year and I’m not playing with no explanation. Zero. That’s nothing against Kevin, because I think he’s a good receiver and he did a good job for the most part. I thought (signing Curtis) was more about shoring up our receiving corps and bring in more experience (because) we had some guys who (weren’t) probably ready from a knowledge standpoint.

“I thought it had more of a negative effect on our team, me not being out there. Guys were wondering, ‘Why are you not playing?’ It’s guys that respect me, believe in me. I felt it was going to be my opportunity to (make up for) a disappointing season from a production standpoint.”

Bowe and McCluster will be back next season. Copper and Tucker will also probably at least go to camp with the Chiefs because of their special-teams skills. Curtis signed for just the playoffs, so his time with the Chiefs might already be finished.

The same could be said for Chambers.

“We didn’t see eye to eye on some things,” Chambers said, speaking of Haley. “I didn’t think I had too much of an opportunity. I didn’t get a lot of targets, maybe two targets a game. I don’t think any receiver can be productive doing that. I don’t know whether they gave up on me.

“I definitely have more left in the tank. I can still catch the ball extremely well. I wasn’t dropping balls. I wasn’t doing crazy things on the field, making mistakes like that.”

Phobia
01-11-2011, 06:00 AM
I don't think Chambers is any kind of answer but like him, I'm baffled as to their handling of the whole thing. Oh well, he'll be gone and have a new girlfriend in a month so I'm not really to worked up about discussing it.

Äîìíà
01-11-2011, 06:23 AM
И как прошли праздники ?
И со старым новым годом :) Будет повод еще раз встретить праздник и посмотреть фильмы :D

InChiefsHeaven
01-11-2011, 06:32 AM
И как прошли праздники ?
И со старым новым годом :) Будет повод еще раз встретить праздник и посмотреть фильмы :D

English mutha fucker, do you SPEAK it??

KCJohnny
01-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Chambers would have afforded Bowe at least a couple receptions. He's also a good run blocker on the perimeter. Poor Curtis didn't know the playbook. This is just Haley arrogance. We'd better learn to live with it.

Chiefs=Champions
01-11-2011, 06:41 AM
И как прошли праздники ?

translation:
And how were the holidays?
And with the old new year will be the occasion to meet again and see holiday movies

JD10367
01-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Chambers would have afforded Bowe at least a couple receptions. He's also a good run blocker on the perimeter. Poor Curtis didn't know the playbook. This is just Haley arrogance. We'd better learn to live with it.

I've been a Haley rumpswab up until now, but I think having Chambers inactive speaks volumes about how much he still needs to learn as a coach. You DO NOT HAMSTRING your team by doing something like that.

dannybcaitlyn
01-11-2011, 06:48 AM
It could have also been titled. "Playoff loss Illustrates problems with QB"

KCJohnny
01-11-2011, 06:53 AM
I've been a Haley rumpswab up until now, but I think having Chambers inactive speaks volumes about how much he still needs to learn as a coach. You DO NOT HAMSTRING your team by doing something like that.

Sounds like the kind of clueless moron that would fire his O-Coord a week before the season starts. Oh wait. He did do that... I have been trying to follow the team all year from Korea and I saw guys in the lineup that I had never heard of in the 4-wide sets... uh, hello? This is the NFL playoffs?

Reerun_KC
01-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Sounds like the kind of clueless moron that would fire his O-Coord a week before the season starts. Oh wait. He did do that... I have been trying to follow the team all year from Korea and I saw guys in the lineup that I had never heard of in the 4-wide sets... uh, hello? This is the NFL playoffs?

We have missed your fail... Thanks for taking the season off and only showing up after the loss....

Sofa King
01-11-2011, 08:46 AM

It's not haley's fault you're ill-informed.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
The whole Chambers/Curtis thing reeked of the Lance Long thing last year. Haley arrogantly trying to outthink himself.

We still would have lost though....

MVChiefFan
01-11-2011, 09:02 AM
И как прошли праздники ?

This.

Chiefnj2
01-11-2011, 09:03 AM
The entire receiving situation in KC has been effed up since Haley became head coach. Constant head games and revolving doors of WRs.

Chambers isn't very good, but c'mon, signing a guy off the street for the playoffs when your #2 receiver is healthy and has worked with your QB for 1 1/2 years (which in Haley time is an eternity)? Bad move Todd.

milkman
01-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Bunch of fucking morons.

Chris Chambers sucked ass this year.
He didn't show up this season and now, suddenly, Haley is an arrogant bastard because he decided make him officially inactive, as opposed to the unofficially inactive player he's been.

MVChiefFan
01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Maybe it's just the simple fact that everyone but Bowe sucks. :shrug:

Chiefnj2
01-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Bunch of ****ing morons.

He didn't show up this season and now, suddenly, Haley is an arrogant bastard because he decided make him officially inactive, as opposed to the unofficially inactive player he's been.

The coaches are the morons.

Last 3 weeks of the season:

Moeaki - 9 catches.
Chambers - 8 catches.
McCluster - 4 catches.
Copper - 1 catch.
Tucker - 0 catches.

Chambers isn't very good, but at least there was a little bit of chemistry between he and Cassel down the stretch.

KCChiefsFan88
01-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Todd Haley's coaching career originated as a WR coach... it is pretty pathetic that the Chiefs are so weak in the area that is supposed to be Haley's area of expertise.

As horrific as Herm was, the one thing he was able to do was upgrade the secondary, his specific area of coaching expertise, with the likes of Carr and Flowers.

KCChiefsFan88
01-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Maybe it's just the simple fact that everyone but Bowe sucks. :shrug:

Exactly... the Chiefs are trying to get by with undrafted players and washed up has beens at the WR position. Sooner or later that will catch up with you and it did against Baltimore.

Wallcrawler
01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Todd Haley's coaching career originated as a WR coach... it is pretty pathetic that the Chiefs are so weak in the area that is supposed to be Haley's area of expertise.

As horrific as Herm was, the one thing he was able to do was upgrade the secondary, his specific area of coaching expertise, with the likes of Carr and Flowers.

Yeah, Bowe hasnt shown ANY improvement since Haley got here. Its not like he led the NFL in TD catches for the WR position or anything.

:rolleyes:

Bring in someone with some actual TALENT, and you will get results.

ChiTown
01-11-2011, 10:03 AM

:LOL:

Bowe has turned a corner - a lot of that is due to Haley

As for his impact on the other WR's, we have a massive bowl of shit for WR's after Bowe. Name one other WR, not named Bowe, on our team that would start for another NFL team....................Exactly, there aren't any. We have to draft another WR, preferably in the first 2 rounds, and/or pick up a quality WR in FA. It is an absolute must for this team.

Chiefnj2
01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
:LOL:

Bowe has turned a corner - a lot of that is due to Haley

As for his impact on the other WR's, we have a massive bowl of shit for WR's after Bowe. Name one other WR, not named Bowe, on our team that would start for another NFL team....................Exactly, there aren't any. We have to draft another WR, preferably in the first 2 rounds, and/or pick up a quality WR in FA. It is an absolute must for this team.

Bowe was talented before Haley came to KC. He's still inconsistent.

You would think that if Haley is the QB guru that some think he is, he would have been able to scout, identify and develop someone on his own over the last two years.

TheGuardian
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Bowe was talented before Haley came to KC. He's still inconsistent.

You would think that if Haley is the QB guru that some think he is, he would have been able to scout, identify and develop someone on his own over the last two years.

Ummmmm he had the fewest amount of drops in his career this year and led the league in touchdowns???????

I mean, seriously. WTF are you guys smoking today?

milkman
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
The Chiefs drafted two talented CBs while Herman fucking Edwards was the coach here, one of those a raw small school product, who has just this season really begun to shine.

Maenwhile, in two years here for Haley, only one receiver has been drafted.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Maenwhile, in two years here for Haley, only one receiver has been drafted.

I think Quentin Lawrence is technically a WR right? Is he the one?

milkman
01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I think Quentin Lawrence is technically a WR right? Is he the one?

That's the one.

Did I miss someone?

ChiTown
01-11-2011, 10:25 AM
When Haley/Pioli got here, this team was a ****ing mess. It's one of the reasons they decided to part ways with Tony G - too many parts to fix while worrying about an aging TE. I think they would have loved to have focused on WR initially, but you generally don't work that way when you need an overhaul. This year, it's plain as day that they will be going after another 1-2 WR's in the draft and/or FA.

The one thing I fault them for is bringing back Chris Chambers. The guy has proven time and again that he is nothing but trouble.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
That's the one.

Did I miss someone?

no..was just thinking out loud. : )

DBOSHO
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
He said Monday that he would have given the Chiefs more had he not been yanked from the lineup so many times.

Fuck chambers.

Coogs
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I would go after Santana Moss to put opposite of Bowe. He is an unrestricted FA, which means no draft picks would have to be given up. He was 4th in the NFL with 93 receptions, and 10th in the NFL in yardage with a total of 1,115. The guy still obviously has some gas left in the tank, and with his speed, he would be a perfecct compliment opposite of Bowe.

DBOSHO
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I usually dont try my hardest even though i get paid millions to play a game too.

Chiefnj2
01-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Ummmmm he had the fewest amount of drops in his career this year and led the league in touchdowns???????

I mean, seriously. WTF are you guys smoking today?

In terms of receptions and yards, Bowe put up similar numbers as he did his first two years in the league.

He would have more TD's those first two years, except for the fact that the QBs went to their safety valve - TG in the red zone.

Bowe is a good, albeit occasionally inconsistent, receiver.

I don't think Haley has done a very good job with the receivers. I credit Bowe's "improvement" this year more to Weis than Haley.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2011, 11:08 AM
It was always a stupid idea to re-sign Chambers, but it was an even dumber idea to sign a guy off the street before a playoff game and give him the majority of snaps at WR.

If you don't trust Chambers, fine, give the snaps to Tucker, at least he and Cassel have some chemistry.

FAX
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I think that what a lot of people forget (or choose to forget) is that this was, no doubt, a 3 to 4 year project ... turning around the Chiefs, I mean. We just completed year 2.

The point is that no team can fill every slot every year with every need. There are 31 other teams out there who would love to do that, too.

Maybe the "right" WR hasn't been available. Maybe they're hoping to acquire Fritz. Maybe they thought they could develop one of the young guys and save a pick or two (the most likely theory, in my opinion).

It's like Shakespeare used to say all the time; "To behooves or not to behooves." Right now, it behooves us to be patient. We're way ahead of schedule right now with lots of room to grow.

I have some difficulty figuring out their approach,though. My main rebuilding question is basically this; why did we draft guys like Arenas and McCluster who are "sizzle" players and leave the "steak" guys (whom we also lack) on the board? I guess I resonate with the build a team inside-out (lines first) philosophy, maybe.

FAX

TheGuardian
01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
In terms of receptions and yards, Bowe put up similar numbers as he did his first two years in the league.

He would have more TD's those first two years, except for the fact that the QBs went to their safety valve - TG in the red zone.

Bowe is a good, albeit occasionally inconsistent, receiver.

I don't think Haley has done a very good job with the receivers. I credit Bowe's "improvement" this year more to Weis than Haley.

Bowe went from #1 in the league in drops to not even making the top 20 list for WR's with drops.

You can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad. What WR has Haley had to work here that has any talent at all besides Bowe? Really?

Again, you guys can't be serious with this shit.

Chiefnj2
01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Bowe went from #1 in the league in drops to not even making the top 20 list for WR's with drops.

You can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad. What WR has Haley had to work here that has any talent at all besides Bowe? Really?

Again, you guys can't be serious with this shit.

Since Haley is the WR guru and head coach, I place part blame on him for not identifying and bringing in a WR worth a crap.

Demonpenz
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
thanks alot for reminding me of lance long LMAO

TheGuardian
01-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Since Haley is the WR guru and head coach, I place part blame on him for not identifying and bringing in a WR worth a crap.

Oh really?

Well they brought in Chambers last year when he was released and he played well. So they resigned him. Then he dogged it and found himself in said doghouse.

So what other WR were we supposed to be after?

Fish
01-11-2011, 12:27 PM
“They started a rookie (Tucker) ahead of me for a couple of games. I know we’re trying to get other guys looks, but I feel I didn’t get a fair shake as far as being out there and making (catches). I know me. I know I can be extremely streaky at times, and if there was a game or two dedicated to just getting me the ball and getting me going, I think I would have done more towards the end here, but that wasn’t the case.

A game or two dedicated to just getting him the ball? Seriously? He thinks this is a realistic request?

Deberg_1990
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Oh really?

Well they brought in Chambers last year when he was released and he played well. So they resigned him. Then he dogged it and found himself in said doghouse.

So what other WR were we supposed to be after?

Wasnt it widely speculated or a known fact the Chiefs went after Boldin..but the Ravens gave up more? I cant remember?

Easy 6
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
A game or two dedicated to just getting him the ball? Seriously? He thinks this is a realistic request?

I was going to point out that passage if you didnt, it just smells funny. IMO, if he was out for the game, Haley had good reason for it. I didnt like benching him for a Ultra Rusty Kevin Curtis though, like Hamas said atleast put Tucker in, a guy thats been here & been active.

It'd be nice to know what we dont know, maybe Chambers has really been f'n up behind the scenes & with nonsense quotes like that its not hard to believe.

BigMeatballDave
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Bunch of fucking morons.

He didn't show up this season and now, suddenly, Haley is an arrogant bastard because he decided make him officially inactive, as opposed to the unofficially inactive player he's been.There it is. :thumb:

RippedmyFlesh
01-11-2011, 08:13 PM
2 good wr's is no longer a luxury but a necessity . Getting just a slightly better than average wr opposite Bowe would change the whole look of the offense.
Bowe makes the pro bowl with nothing opposite him. A little help and the sky is the limit for Bowe.

TEX
01-11-2011, 09:07 PM
For more than two decades, the Chiefs have had thier problems at WR. Wish they would fix it already... :banghead:

TEX
01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
“I had kind of seen the writing on the wall a little bit because my (snaps) were being cut in practice and I still wasn’t getting any information about it from my receiving coach,” Chambers said. “I’m a veteran receiver with the most playoff experience, and you’d think they’d want me out there, and that wasn’t the case. I still haven’t talked to the coach about it yet.”

Well Mr. Chambers, if you didn't suck ass all season, maybe you might have been playing...Go play the victim somewhere else - LOSER.

TinyEvel
01-12-2011, 12:31 AM
01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110011 01100101 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110011 01110100 00101101 01110011 01100101 01100001 01110011 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110111 01110011 00100000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01101001 01100011 01101100 01100101 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110110 01101001 01100101 01110111 01110011 00100000 01110011 01110101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110101 01101100 01100100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100101 01100001 01110011 01101001 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110100 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01111001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110101 01100010 01101100 01101001 01110011 01101000 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100011 01101111 01100100 01100101 00101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01101001 00100000 01100011 01101111 01110101 01101100 01100100 00100000 01101010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101001 01100111 01101110 01101111 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110100 01101100 01111001 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 01110101 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01110011 01100001 01111001 01110011 00100000 00100010 01010100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100110 01101100 01110101 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110111 01100101 00100000 01100111 01110101 01100001 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 00110001 00110010 00101101 00110100 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100001 01110011 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101110 01100101 01111000 01110100 00100000 01111001 01100101 01100001 01110010 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01010011 01110101 01110000 01100101 01110010 01000010 01101111 01110111 01101100 00100000 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100 01101000 00101110 00100010