PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Cecil Newton attends BCS Title game after agreeing with Auburn to stay away

Deberg_1990
01-12-2011, 08:14 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Despite-contrary-reports-Cecil-Newton-was-at-BC?urn=ncaaf-306263

Cecil Newton didn't see his son Cam quarterback Auburn to an SEC title or win the Heisman Trophy. And he wasn't supposed to see him play in Monday night's BCS Championship Game either. It was all part of a punishment restricting the elder Newton to "limited access" to Auburn's football program after it was discovered that he shopped his son to Mississippi State for $180,000 during his recruiting process.

Yet, after Cam led Auburn to a thrilling 22-19 victory over the second-ranked Oregon Ducks, father and son were captured on camera in a joyous embrace in the stands. The photo, captured by Vasha Hunt of the Opelika-Auburn News, was snapped moments after Newton was seen looking for his father in the crowd at University of Phoenix Stadium.

Earlier in the day, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said Cecil Newton wouldn't be attending the national championship game. It was a "mutually agreed upon" decision, Jacobs said.

Evidently no one told that to Cecil, who managed to stay unseen during the game, sitting away from his family and out of the view of ESPN cameras. He wasn't on Auburn's ticket list and the university later denied giving him admission to the game.

Though we shouldn't begrudge Cecil the right to see his son play in the biggest game of his life, the incident is a slap in the face to Auburn. The school was misled about the father's plans and then had to do damage control hours after the greatest win in school history.

Cecil Newton put Auburn through enough agita over the past two months. The least he could have done was spared them more on Monday night.

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Paid to play in the SEC.. Thats how they roll.

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Obviously Auburn said he was not attending so ESPN wouldn't have a camera on him the entire game.

It's ridiculous to expect any father to not be in person when their son wins a national championship. He did the right thing for the Heisman ceremony, but I wouldn't have had a problem if he attended it too.

Lono
01-12-2011, 08:43 AM
He shouldn't have been there and neither should his son. Period

Dave Lane
01-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Agreed I'm looking forward to all the parents of grade A recruits running their children on Craigslist (without their knowledge of course) to see what they can get for attending a school. Horrible precedent.

Extra Point
01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
He'll have to flip a coin to see if he watches his son on Sundays, next season. Better look west to get the preachin' and watchin' in on the same day.

Old Al will give him a chapel.

kepp
01-12-2011, 08:50 AM

I don't care so much that he was there, but his son shouldn't have been.

Sannyasi
01-12-2011, 08:53 AM

The NCAA got what they wanted. Ratings

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 08:55 AM

And $$$$$$$$$$$

NCAA will ALWAYS look the other way when $$$$$$$$$$ is involved...

jd1020
01-12-2011, 09:03 AM
The NCAA gave Auburn permission to play him.

Good for his dad. I would have pissed on that "agreement" with the NCAA aswell.

TheGuardian
01-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Agree with the don't have a problem with his dad being there but Cam shouldn't have been.

He better enjoy it while he can. Reggie Bush and USC part II.

Brock
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Paid to play in the SEC.. Thats how they roll.

yeah, it doesn't happen in every other conference in the country.

ForeverChiefs58
01-12-2011, 09:39 AM
yeah, but if any of it makes him fall in the draft...

Demonpenz
01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I remember a buddy of mine was paid in Ti-82's when he went out for the MIT baseball team.

luv
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts__48/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-788803214-1294786669.jpg?ymtRnYEDX4FC0vIP

Bane
01-12-2011, 09:50 AM
yeah, but if any of it makes him fall in the draft...

JaPorkchop v2.0.

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 09:53 AM
yeah, it doesn't happen in every other conference in the country.

Name me one that doesnt?

Brock
01-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Name me one that doesnt?

You tell me, you're the one that said "that's how they roll in the sec"

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
You tell me, you're the one that said "that's how they roll in the sec"

Jesus your such a baby....

You know just because its you.... There is no need to discuss this or even talk about it....

Just for you Brock, So you can whine more... Its true, the SEC is the ONLY conference in the country that pays its players...

Brock
01-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Jesus your such a baby....

You know just because its you.... There is no need to discuss this or even talk about it....

Just for you Brock, So you can whine more... Its true, the SEC is the ONLY conference in the country that pays its players...

Sounds to me like you're the one crying here. You said something stupid, and I called you out on it. Rinse and repeat, douche.

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Sounds to me like you're the one crying here. You said something stupid, and I called you out on it. Rinse and repeat, douche.

:deevee:

Awe poor buddy getting his panties all wadded up... Reerun says something that I feel is stupid...

I should call him out... Hes not very nice...

What is sad, is that your too caught up in what I write to even see the humor or irony of the post...

Or the fact that you belief that its true... I cant believe you would really be this nieve to think that it doenst happen all over the country...

but hey each to his own...

Reaper16
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Awe poor buddy getting his panties all wadded up... Reerun says something that I feel is stupid...

What is sad, is that your too caught up in what I write to even see the humor or irony of the post...

Or the fact that you belief that its true... I cant believe you would really be this nieve to think that it doenst happen all over the country...

HOLY SHIT RERUN IF YOU KNEW WHAT SARCASM WAS YOU'D KNOW THAT BROCK'S POST WAS SAYING THAT IT DOES HAPPEN ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AAAAAAAGGGHHH

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM

I don't care so much that he was there, but his son shouldn't have been.

YES, on all of these.

Brock
01-12-2011, 10:07 AM

You really hate it when somebody points out when you post something dumb, don't you? Look at how upset you're getting.

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 10:23 AM
HOLY SHIT RERUN IF YOU KNEW WHAT SARCASM WAS YOU'D KNOW THAT BROCK'S POST WAS SAYING THAT IT DOES HAPPEN ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AAAAAAAGGGHHH

Un No... Its Brock.. Anyone else I would agree..

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM
You really hate it when somebody points out when you post something dumb, don't you? Look at how upset you're getting.

Yeah so upset....

Honestly I love when you "call me out" I get to laughing and chuckling so hard, it makes it hard to type...

How can one be upset when youre laughing at someone?

Brock
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
LMAO

The Franchise
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
YES, on all of these.

But it was ok for Pryor to play?

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
LMAO

Pretty much...

:LOL:

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
But it was ok for Pryor to play?

Not really... but its about $$$$ for the NCAA

The Franchise
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Not really... but its about $$$$ for the NCAA

That's what I find funny. People will shit on Cam Newton but they're perfectly ok with someone else who breaks the rules getting to play.

Should Cam Newton have been ruled ineligible? Yes.

Should Terrell Pryor have been ruled ineligible? Yes.

WV
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't get the outrage, the scandal surrounds his father and Miss State. His father does seem shady enough to do this on his own and Newton isn't playing at Miss State, so who the hell cares???

Chiefnj2
01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
How pissed must North Carolina be? They lost a handful of players (several would have been top 2nd round or better draft picks) at the beginning of the season, meanwhile other programs have their players suspended in the future, or not at all. They must not be paying the right people.

Lono
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't get the outrage, the scandal surrounds his father and Miss State. His father does seem shady enough to do this on his own and Newton isn't playing at Miss State, so who the hell cares???

There is no way anyone will ever make me believe Cam didn't know what was going on. He should have been banned along with the rest of the Ohio State guys. Ask yourself this, if it was say, Boise State or Utah, would they have looked the other way?

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2011, 07:53 PM
That's what I find funny. People will shit on Cam Newton but they're perfectly ok with someone else who breaks the rules getting to play.

Should Cam Newton have been ruled ineligible? Yes.

Should Terrell Pryor have been ruled ineligible? Yes.

As an OSU backer, agreed. But the magnitude of the two violations are unbelievably different. $180,000 vs. probably a few hundred (if that) in free tattoos and sold merchandise? Unfortunately, as the NCAA, how do you justify letting the $180,000 guy play and the $300 guy not? At least the OSU guys wil see some sort of penalty.

These fuckers like Newton, Bush, and Carroll, the only punishment they get is to be "shamed." Oh big fucking deal. It's only been one year and people already treat Carroll's Seahawks like some kind of a feel good story.

ohiobronco2
01-12-2011, 08:04 PM
As an OSU backer, agreed. But the magnitude of the two violations are unbelievably different. $180,000 vs. probably a few hundred (if that) in free tattoos and sold merchandise? Unfortunately, as the NCAA, how do you justify letting the $180,000 guy play and the $300 guy not? At least the OSU guys wil see some sort of penalty.

These ****ers like Newton, Bush, and Carroll, the only punishment they get is to be "shamed." Oh big ****ing deal. It's only been one year and people already treat Carroll's Seahawks like some kind of a feel good story.

Exactly. How people don't see the difference is beyond me.

Mr. Laz
01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
hey ... the precedence is set, student-athletes are for sale to the highest bidder as long as the parents just don't involve the kid in the process.

"you just don't worry about which college, boy. I'll be deciding where you attend" /Dad

"alright folks ... let the bidding begin ... who wants my kid to play football for them?!"

ohiobronco2
01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts__48/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-788803214-1294786669.jpg?ymtRnYEDX4FC0vIP

Is it just me, or does Cecil Newton favor ET?

-King-
01-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Fuck the NCAA. Both of them should have been there.
Posted via Mobile Device