PDA

View Full Version : Money sports cards pricing

booger
01-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone has used online sites to price their baseball or other sports cards collections. I've got mostly Baseball but a few football and basketball. Before buying a subscription i thought i'd get the planet's thoughts. Doesn't seem to be any free sites and Ebay isn't much help.

Beckett was always the best one years ago when i collected.

currently looking into this site.
http://www.vintagecardprices.com/

Also have a couple of vintage baseball gloves from the 30's or so and a couple irons and woods golf clubs that are ancient.

Some of the stuff has sentimental value as it was in the family a long time and others i would part with. Just trying to find the right place to have it appraised.

Thanks

MIAdragon
01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone has used online sites to price their baseball or other sports cards collections. I've got mostly Baseball but a few football and basketball. Before buying a subscription i thought i'd get the planet's thoughts. Doesn't seem to be any free sites and Ebay isn't much help.

Beckett was always the best one years ago when i collected.

currently looking into this site.
http://www.vintagecardprices.com/

Also have a couple of vintage baseball gloves from the 30's or so and a couple irons and woods golf clubs that are ancient.

Some of the stuff has sentimental value as it was in the family a long time and others i would part with. Just trying to find the right place to have it appraised.

Thanks

the collectible market is so bad right now I think you would be wasting your time/disappointed in the given value. Ive found that taking items to a local shop that specializes in that memorabilia is the best way to go.

Bill Lundberg
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
http://beta.beckett.com/

booger
01-14-2011, 01:18 PM
the collectible market is so bad right now I think you would be wasting your time/disappointed in the given value. Ive found that taking items to a local shop that specializes in that memorabilia is the best way to go.

yea that's what i got from looking through ebay. Like some old Ken Griffey Jr. cards i have, rookie cards just selling for 10 bucks or less.

booger
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
http://beta.beckett.com/

i used to buy their price guides all the time when i was a kid.

thanks

seclark
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
had a job interview w/beckett one time several years ago. didn't get the job, but they did give me a 3 year subscription to the mag. thought that was pretty cool.
after the subscription ran out though, i didn't re-up. piss on em.
sec

loochy
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
i used to buy their price guides all the time when i was a kid.

thanks

Yeah man I had a subscription too!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/4556729400_3061407168.jpg

booger
01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
had a job interview w/beckett one time several years ago. didn't get the job, but they did give me a 3 year subscription to the mag. thought that was pretty cool.
after the subscription ran out though, i didn't re-up. piss on em.
sec

:)

booger
01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah man I had a subscription too!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/4556729400_3061407168.jpg

awesome.

I can't remember how old i was but i wrote out a ton of fan mail to a bunch of different teams and got David Robinson to sign a card and return it as well as Danny Gladden and Kirby Puckett of the twins.

You about crap your pants when you get the mail and realize they actually sent it back.

Buck
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I dropped around $600 into football cards in 2004 and i just checked and I have one card worth $30, one worth $20, a few worth $10, and thats it.

loochy
01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I dropped around $600 into football cards in 2004 and i just checked and I have one card worth $30, one worth $20, a few worth $10, and thats it.

I'm wondering how much mine are worth. I have tons and tons of cards from the 80s and early 90s, including many complete sets. I've got several Barry Bonds rookie cards, but I bet those aren't going for much these days.

booger
01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Got a pete rose that i want to hang onto if they ever let that sucker in the HOF

Buck
01-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm wondering how much mine are worth. I have tons and tons of cards from the 80s and early 90s, including many complete sets. I've got several Barry Bonds rookie cards, but I bet those aren't going for much these days.

IMO, Complete sets aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

The only cards that will fetch money are autograph cards or game used cards (or the occasional rookie card).

alnorth
01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Comics will probably still survive in value to some extent, but I think the sports card market is doomed. If you have valuable cards I probably wouldn't sell until the economy recovers, but I wouldn't wait very long after it does.

The reason I say that are the kids. There's still a decent number of them who buy comic books, but not many kids buy baseball or football cards anymore, so your potential buyers are getting older every day. Every time a collector dies, that is more old cards dumped onto the market by heirs who dont care and fewer people interested in buying them up. Eventually they will all die, and that will be it for sports cards.

HoneyBadger
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
How many people are still actually buying cards? When I was younger everyone would buy and trade them.

booger
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
i haven't bought in years. probably early 90's. just kept them around.

Stewie
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Ebay (and frauds) killed the value of all cards unless it's a verifiable rarity.

DJ's left nut
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Save 'em.

Use them to heat your house in a couple years when energy prices have tripled due to the weakened dollar (/DC)

The market's shot. I have probably 10,000 of the things gathering dust in my basement. I'll probably give them to my kid someday so he can trade them for the newest 'Pog' style fad collectible.

Unless it's Magic: The Gathering, in which case I'll beat him and take him to a strip club. I might even buy him a hooker and tell him he'll never get to do that again on his present path.

Yeah...so what were we talking about again?

booger
01-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Save 'em.

Use them to heat your house in a couple years when energy prices have tripled due to the weakened dollar (/DC)

The market's shot. I have probably 10,000 of the things gathering dust in my basement. I'll probably give them to my kid someday so he can trade them for the newest 'Pog' style fad collectible.

Unless it's Magic: The Gathering, in which case I'll beat him and take him to a strip club. I might even buy him a hooker and tell him he'll never get to do that again on his present path.

Yeah...so what were we talking about again?

LMAO

beach tribe
01-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I know this is neither here nor there, but I have a Tops Peyton Manning rookie card. My GF babysat her nephew some years back, and the MFer got into my cards, and got the fucker wet in it's hard plastic sleeve. Can you believe that shit?

DJ's left nut
01-14-2011, 04:23 PM
I know this is neither here nor there, but I have a Tops Peyton Manning rookie card. My GF babysat her nephew some years back, and the MFer got into my cards, and got the ****er wet in it's hard plastic sleeve. Can you believe that shit?

You got to PIIHB right?

(G/F, not nephew...)

beach tribe
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
You got to PIIHB right?

(G/F, not nephew...)

Many times. Before and After. We broke up a long time ago though.

DJ's left nut
01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Many times. Before and After. We broke up a long time ago though.

This doesn't compute.

Prince22
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
awesome.

I can't remember how old i was but i wrote out a ton of fan mail to a bunch of different teams and got David Robinson to sign a card and return it as well as Danny Gladden and Kirby Puckett of the twins.

You about crap your pants when you get the mail and realize they actually sent it back.

Thats awesome. When I ws going through my boxing phase I got the home addresses to over 50 boxers by paying $10 to an ad in Tuff Stuff. I sent boxing cards(yes they made them) and got back a few. Roy Jones Jr, George Foreman and Sugar Ray Leonard. Sugar Ray sent a letter back and all. Said for legal reasons he cant sign a card so he sent an autographed 8x6 picture. Youre right, thats the best feeling as a kid opening mail from those guys.

booger
01-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Thats awesome. When I ws going through my boxing phase I got the home addresses to over 50 boxers by paying $10 to an ad in Tuff Stuff. I sent boxing cards(yes they made them) and got back a few. Roy Jones Jr, George Foreman and Sugar Ray Leonard. Sugar Ray sent a letter back and all. Said for legal reasons he cant sign a card so he sent an autographed 8x6 picture. Youre right, thats the best feeling as a kid opening mail from those guys.

:thumb:

BigRedChief
01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Save it. The markets for chit right now.

booger
01-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Save it. The markets for chit right now.

yep, sure is looking that way