PDA

View Full Version : Football 6 Out Of 8

BossChief
01-15-2011, 12:48 AM
....of current playoff teams quarterbacks were drafted in the first round.

Tom Brady and Matt Hasselbeck are the only two that weren't.

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Ben Rothlisberger
Aaron Rogers
Mark Sanchez

that's all

One year we could be so fortunate...one day

Jewish Rabbi
01-15-2011, 12:55 AM
It works 60% of the time, everytime.

Fritz88
01-15-2011, 12:55 AM
We need a good OC to compensate for teh shit we have at QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
01-15-2011, 12:56 AM
We need a good OC to compensate for teh shit we have at QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

I vote good OC and good QB.

Thig Lyfe
01-15-2011, 12:59 AM
YEAH BUT TOM BRADY WAS DRAFTED IN THE 6TH ROUND SO DURRRRRRR DUH DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

suzzer99
01-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Chiefs are still gun shy from Blackledge.

Bewbies
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Mark Castle laughs at the poorly paid scrubs taken in the 1st round.

Chiefs Rool
01-15-2011, 02:22 AM
Matt Cassel's road to the NFL is one of a kind, it's a wonderful story, but the joke is on us.

DBOSHO
01-15-2011, 02:34 AM
All 6 are the exceptions, not the rule.

Rasputin
01-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Chiefs are still gun shy from Blackledge.

And yet we have only one playoff victory since the Blackledge episode using retread rehash QBs. Watching other (manny) teams make that dareing pick and find themselves winning a bunch of games and become Super Bowl continders with in a few years.

-King-
01-15-2011, 07:12 AM
13 of the current 24 non playoff qbs were drafted in the 1st.

*14 if you want to include brees.

This thread is based on the premise of a BS fact. If Brady and Hasselbeck make the playoffs will you start a thread about how both the SB qbs were 1st rounders?

Shit I'm for drafting a qb early, but this thread is just BS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spott
01-15-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm guessing that all 8 of those guys were good enough to play QB in college, too.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-15-2011, 07:25 AM
13 of the current 24 non playoff qbs were drafted in the 1st.

*14 if you want to include brees.

This thread is based on the premise of a BS fact. If Brady and Hasselbeck make the playoffs will you start a thread about how both the SB qbs were 1st rounders?

Shit I'm for drafting a qb early, but this thread is just BS.
Posted via Mobile Device

He could have just bumped one of the other eleventy billion threads on this LMAO I'm suuuure the discussion will be sooooo much different this time...uh-huh

-King-
01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
For what its worth, 6 out of the 8 coaches in the playoffs are defensive minded coaches.

Tomlin
Ryan
Belichick
M. Smith
Harbaugh
L. Smith

Posted via Mobile Device

JOhn
01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
And yet we have only one playoff victory since the Blackledge episode using retread rehash QBs. Watching other (manny) teams make that dareing pick and find themselves winning a bunch of games and become Super Bowl continders with in a few years.

Actually we have 3:

• Jan. 6, 2007 - AFC Wildcard - Indianapolis 23, Kansas City 8
• Jan. 11, 2004 - AFC Divisional - Indianapolis 38, Kansas City 31
• Jan. 4, 1998 - AFC Divisional - Denver 14, Kansas City 10
• Jan. 7, 1996 - AFC Divisional - Indianapolis 10, Kansas City 7
• Dec. 31, 1994 - AFC First Round - Miami 27, Kansas City 17
• Jan. 23, 1994 - AFC Championship - Buffalo 30, Kansas City 13
• Jan. 16, 1994 - AFC Divisional - Kansas City 28, Houston 20
• Jan. 8, 1994 - AFC First Round - Kansas City 27, Pittsburgh 24 OT
• Jan. 2, 1993 - AFC First Round - San Diego 17, Kansas City 0
• Jan. 5, 1992 - AFC Divisional - Buffalo 37, Kansas City 14
• Dec. 28, 1991 - AFC First Round - Kansas City 10, L.A. Raiders 6
• Jan. 5, 1991 - AFC First Round - Miami 17, Kansas City 16
• Dec. 28, 1986 - AFC Wild Card - New York 35, Kansas City 15

Pasta Little Brioni
01-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Draftmasterbater:1st round QB leads to better chance of winning Super Bowl
Random poster: QB x won a Super Bowl and wasn't a 1st rounder
Draftmasterbater: TrueFan!!!! *rips random posters shirt off revealing a marking of TF on his chest.*
Truefan: FUUUUUUU

Rasputin
01-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Thank you JOhn for standing me corrected, I knew I liked Steve Deberg for some reason. Steve Deberg is still one of my fav QBs for KC.

THRee ha ha ha

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1KnpzTiabgY&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1KnpzTiabgY&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

keg in kc
01-15-2011, 07:54 AM
The more interesting thing to me is where in the first round those QBs were taken:

Ryan 3
Sanchez 5
Cutler 11
Roethlisberger 11
Flacco 18
Rogers 24

So only two were taken in the top 10. Ryan warranted his pick. I'm one of those who believes Sanchez was taken far higher than he should have been, but people will argue that. Cutler should I think get an asterick, since he isn't playing for the team that drafted him. Flacco and Roethlisberger were small school guys. Rodgers was and will always be kind of a head-scratcher, as far as his draft-day fall goes.

Who's the best of that bunch? Has to be Roethlisberger, the guy with the rings. Ryan would I think come after him, although Atlanta is still a run-first team. Then probably Rodgers and Flacco. Cutler is to me a flake. I expected bigger things out of him, and you never know whether he's going to come out and have a 4 TD day or a 4 pick day. And then there was Sanchez. Maybe the Jets can continue to win despite him.

The thing that's really lost is how good these guys' teams are. They all have strong defenses. Most of them are asked more to manage their offenses, with the exception of Roethlisberger, who's basically been the Steelers offense since about 2007. Tom Brady would fall into that category, too. Those two guys are I think far more important to their teams than any of the other QBs currently in the playoffs. The rest of them are closer to what Cassel was asked to be during the year - make your plays but don't screw up. The difference, of course, being that some of them have shown that they can not only let themselves be carried, but also come through and make that big play when the team needs it.

I'm one of those guys that believes it doesn't really matter where you get your quarterback. Sure, a Peyton Manning would be nice, but you have to be in a position to land one. And unfortunately, for all the QBs I've wanted the Chiefs to take in the last decade, they haven't been. Ryan was the most recent guy I was big on that I thought we'd have a shot at. I thought we'd be in a position for one in 2011, but it doesn't look like it now, the way that the NCAA season played-out, paired with the 'hopeful' performance they got out of Cassel. That was basically my worst-case scenario for him and for the Chiefs: he showed just enough flashes to give some hope for the future, but in the end left way too many questions.

Marcellus
01-15-2011, 08:51 AM
This thread is chock full of information that everyone already knows.

BossChief
01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
The responses in this thread make carl Peterson smile

Garcia Bronco
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
lets see who was your qb in 91....hard to remember, but I am gonna go with Steve DeBerg off memory.

Bane
01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/ih8ndg.jpg

salame
01-15-2011, 09:35 AM
thread is gay

-King-
01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
The responses in this thread make carl Peterson smile

Its a dumb thread with coincidental BS. Only half of last yrs qbs at this stage were 1st rnd picks. Why wasn't there a thread then?
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Its a dumb thread with coincidental BS. Only half of last yrs qbs at this stage were 1st rnd picks. Why wasn't there a thread then?
Posted via Mobile Device

There were plenty...Favre and Brees were close enough.

We have the longest streak of playoff losses in the NfL and haven't drafted a first round qb in 27 years. If you think that is a coincedence you can't be helped.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
More 1st round QBs have played in, and won, Super Bowls than every other round combined.

Bane
01-15-2011, 10:26 AM

We have the longest streak of playoff losses in the NfL and haven't drafted a first round qb in 27 years. If you think that is a coincedence you can't be helped.

Goddamn..:harumph:...I keep trying to forget that fact!

-King-
01-15-2011, 10:27 AM

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point and I agree that 1st rnd qbs have the best chance at success, but the evidence you chose to backup your point is sketchy at best.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
:spock:Don't get me wrong, I understand your point and I agree that 1st rnd qbs have the best chance at success, but the evidence you chose to backup your point is sketchy at best.
Posted via Mobile Device:spock:

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2011, 10:37 AM
:spock::spock:

He's saying that he doesn't disagree with your assertion, but the evidence used to prove the assertion is underwhelming. There are other, better examples one could use.

BossChief
01-15-2011, 10:40 AM
He's saying that he doesn't disagree with your assertion, but the evidence used to prove the assertion is underwhelming. There are other, better examples one could use.

When get done today and have more time I'll do it then. Unless someone beats me to it

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
When get done today and have more time I'll do it then. Unless someone beats me to it

Here:

Treatise from the “Gang of 14”:

I see a lot of dissent from the True Fans on the board that those of us who continually express the primacy of a franchise quarterback are not adding any kind of insight or support to our opinions, merely insults. In the interests of refutation, I am going to skip any form of attack in this post in order to demonstrate to you what our argument is, and the history that we have on the board of supporting said argument with pointed, and factual examples.

Why do we believe in obtaining a franchise QB?

It’s quite simple. It is the most important piece of a team that will successfully contend for a number of years. Look back on the last several dynasties or near-dynasties in the NFL.

The Steelers of the 70’s had Bradshaw
The 49ers of the 80’s and 90’s had Montanal who then bridged seamlessly to Steve Young
The Cowboys of the 90’s had Troy Aikman
The Bills of the 90’s had Jim Kelly
The Broncos of the 80’s and 90’s had John Elway
The Patriots of this decade have Tom Brady
The Colts of this decade have Peyton Manning
The Steelers of this decade have Ben Roethlisberger

8 teams, all of them had franchise QBs. Most of them also had good to great defenses, but none of them didn’t have a franchise quarterback.

Here is why we don’t believe in defense above all else:

The 1980s Chicago Bears
The late 80’s-early 90’s Philadelphia Eagles
The Bucs of the 1990s and 2000s
The Ravens of this decade.

Many people consider the 1985 Bears to be the greatest team of all time, with the greatest defense of all time. What people forget is that the 1986 Bears had a better defense, setting NFL records for fewest points allowed. What they didn’t have was the same level of consistent play from the quarterback position as these other teams did. In spite of one of the most impressively talented units of all time on either side of the ball, they were essentially a one-hit wonder.

The Philadelphia Eagles of the Buddy Ryan era had some of the most dominant defenders of any era. Guys like Reggie White, Jerome Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Brown), Clyde Simmons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Simmons), Seth Joyner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Joyner), Eric Allen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Allen), Wes Hopkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Hopkins), and Andre Waters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Waters). They led the NFL in both passing and rushing yardage allowed in 1991, the first team to do that in 16 years, and they missed the playoffs. In fact, that team did not win a single playoff game.

The Bucs of the last 10 years are another great example. Although they had an amazingly talented unit, Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice (120 sacks), Ronde Barber, Derrick Brooks, Booger McFarland, and John Lynch (among others), they routinely flamed out in the playoffs. They eventually won one Super Bowl, but with that kind of talent on one unit, it’s positively criminal that they weren’t in the Ch. Game or Super Bowl every year.

The 2000 Ravens had arguably the greatest or second greatest D of all time, but with only Trent Dilfer at the helm, and no other offensive weapons aside from Jamal Lewis, they flamed out quicker than Colin Farrell.

Now, with that being said, why do we want a franchise QB this year?
It comes down to this: we see Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez as two of the best quarterback prospects of the last five years.

Stafford has an amazing physical skillset. Here is a list of reasons I posted in support ofStafford some months ago:

He has three years of starting experience in the SEC
2. He comes from a pro offense
3. He knows how to read a defense, and can audible into advantageous plays, recognizes the blitz
4. He's willing to get pounded and get back up
5. He's mobile
6. He has good mechanics
7. He has unbelievable arm strength
8. He's played with a very marginal OL this year with three freshmen on it, and receivers who can't get separation, so he has to make NFL throws to get them the ball, he's not lobbing a rainbow up to a WR with 5 yards of separation.
9. He's a leader and he's been under intense scrutiny since he was 16 years old.
10. He's improved every year in college, despite having less and less talent around him to work with.

Combine that with reports of how teams were “blown away” by his board work, as well as the natural athleticism he showed in running the 40, and I don’t know how one wouldn’t be floored by this kid.

Why do we want Sanchez?

It’s a similar question with slightly different answers, but achieving the same result.

Sanchez is a leader of men. It’s that simple. He’s naturally charismatic, and he has the aura around him that all great QBs do. He owns the room when he walks in. That confidence bordering on cockiness (minus Jeff George dickheadedness) is a great asset.
He has textbook throwing mechanics
He has dancer’s feet. The importance of this really cannot be stressed enough. The only coaching that he is going to need when coming into the league is how to read and react to NFL defenses. He’s about as close to mechanically flawless as anyone since the Human Juggs Machine, Carson Palmer
He has very good arm strength (it’s not elite, but it’s more than good enough to make any throw).
He comes from a pro offense
He has four years of post high school experience. He’s worked on the scout team, he’s been a backup, he’s been a spot starter, and he’s been the man.
He had great production with a team that had good, but nowhere near elite, talent around him. This isn’t the 2004 Trojans. They aren’t anywhere near as talented.

Granted, both prospects have their warts. Every prospect has question marks. People employ revisionist history far too often when evaluating players after the fact.

What did Joe Montana or Tom Brady have that made them jump off the page to someone?
Peyton Manning was considered potentially maxed out as a prospect, a QB with little upside.
John Elway never even went to a bowl game, was he really a “winner”? He was also a very generously listed “6’3”. Look at him next to Peyton Manning and see if he’s really 6’3”, and yet the same questions are used to discount Stafford and Sanchez.

Many of you will beg the following question:

Why not defense in this draft?
It’s quite simple:

The draft is seven rounds. We have six other picks
This draft lacks elite talent on defense at the top
Next year’s draft has two of the most ridiculously talented freaks at DE of the last decade (Carlos Dunlap and Everson Griffen), as well as better safety, LB, DT, and CB prospects across the board. It is a draft of defense
Borrowing on 3, there is a draft after this year. The 2009 Chiefs have a 0% chance of winning anything meaningful. This is a solid 3 year rebuilding process. If you want to see this team built correctly, you should look to 2011

Why do you hate Aaron Curry?

We don’t. The fact of the matter is that Aaron Curry, for all the safety that he brings as a draft pick, and for all his physical gifts, cannot change games.

He has no history of rushing the passer. He expressed confidence in his ability to learn to do so, but he’s never done it. That makes him as big of a project at that job as any safety Carl ever tried to move to corner.

Cover backers make tackles in space and take away the 3<sup>rd</sup>-5<sup>th</sup> receiving options. That’s great, but it’s also like saying that middle relievers are more important than starting pitchers. Both contribute to the win, but the starter has far more chances to affect the outcome of the game.

Curry, for all his projections, has also never played Mike. That will also entail a position move.

Let’s address additional follow up questions:

“Why are you ‘QB or bust’ no matter who the QB?” and “Why do you want to reach for any QB?”

We aren’t
We don’t.

No one here is saying we should take Freeman at 3, or think that Rhett Bomar or Nate Davis are the kinds of guys who could carry a franchise. It’s folly.

“Why is the spread so bad? Look at the #s QBs put up!”

The quarterback, his pedigree, and his experience are paramount. With the proliferation of the spread in college football, it will become more and more difficult in order to properly evaluate quarterbacks and how they translate to the pro game.

The spread works for the same reason that the option worked. There is simply not enough speed on college defenses to contain it, and defense is a chain, the weakest link causes the failure of all. Given that talent is spread so thin on college defenses, most teams have to trot out fourth corners that run like NFL defensive ends. Combine that with the fact that college players don’t devote the same amount of time to film study and coaching as their pro counterparts, and college defenses run more simplistic schemes.

This leads to soft zone defenses with corners playing way off. WRs don’t get jammed at the line, and their free release, when combined with a quasi-prevent D, allows them to kill the opposing defenses by paper cut, or if a single tackle is missed or assignment blown, by guillotine.

Furthermore, college quarterbacks from the spread are running a two read system, and they do not read the defenses in front of them. Look at any spread team before the snap. Watch how the QB looks to the sideline for instructions from the offensive coaching staff on what the defense across from him is. NFL QBs need to make as many as four reads on any given passing play that isn’t a max protect situation.

The spread is a great equalizer for teams like Missouri and Kansas that don’t have elite talent but want to exploit the lack of 1-80 talent on other teams. It is not a solution to an NFL defense, where everyone is talented, and where the schemes are more exotic.

It faces the same fate as the Run-N-Shoot: Kill the Quarterback.
When these things are taken into account, as well as the fact that all spread quarterbacks need to learn how to take snaps from under center and proper footwork for 3,5, and 7 step drops, you have a huge learning curve that exponentially increases the bust rate for the prospect.

QB is the riskiest position to draft. We should draft a safer position
Aundray Bruce, Tony Mandarich, Pac Man, Robert Gallery, Leonard Davis, Troy Williamson, Charles Rogers, Ryan Sims, Wendell Bryant, the list goes on forever

No position is safe.

Why not draft Crabtree?

WRs from the spread don’t run a traditional NFL route tree. He has no experience in doing so, that increases his learning curve.

He lacks elite speed. WRs taken in the top 10 almost universally have elite speed

He lacks elite size.

He has a cracked foot

College stats are not a good predictor of NFL success. Look at Ron Dayne, Rashan Salaam, Timmy Chang, Jake Barton, Manny Hazard, or Alex Van Dyke

“Why not just draft a QB in the middle rounds?”

ChiefsCountry has compiled an impressive list of QBs who won the Super Bowl and where they were drafted.

So you want Thiggy as our quarterback.

How about these facts:
57% of the Super Bowls have been won by first round quarterbacks.
(Out of those quarterbacks only 3 were not top 10 picks)
40% of the Super Bowls won by top 5 picks.
21% have been won by 1st round quarterbacks that wasnt their original team (Dawson, Plunkett (2), Williams, Young, Dilfer)
16% of the Super Bowls were won by Montana and Brady
4% were Roger Staubuach's wins who would have went in the first if he wasnt going to Vietnam
14% were won by a 9th or lower (counting Warner who was Undrafted) and 4 of those wins were by Bart Starr & Roger Staubauch.
4% were won by second round quarterbacks
4% 3rd and 6th rounds picks that were not Montana or Brady
0% of the Super Bowls were won by a 7th round pick http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5278394&postcount=129

Additionally, this was done before this year’s Super Bowl, in which another 1<sup>st</sup> round quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, won.

Moreover, Scott Wright has an extensive breakdown of the profound failure rate of 2<sup>nd</sup> and 3<sup>rd</sup> round quarterbacks over the last 15 years on his site, NFLDraftCountdown.

“All you do is insult people”

Actually we don’t. We insult people a lot, but a large portion of that is born out of frustration for having the same argument ad infinitum and telling the same thing to people who don’t’ listen to what we say.

I realize that this list is not comprehensive. It’s merely hitting the high notes of the discussions that we have previously had. If anyone else from the Gang of 14 wants to add anything, feel free.

Thank you for your time,

HJ

COchief
01-15-2011, 11:27 AM
a bunch of staggering statistics:

I have to admit it is very hard to argue with the above, especially when you point out the 80s Bears, 90s Bucs, and 00 Ravens spectacular defenses and relatively minor number of super bowl wins.

I bet the statistics are even more eye opening if you remove the SBs won by Brady, Montana, (both somewhat anomalies) and guys like Favre and Brees who were essentially 1st round picks(Brees was I believe the first pick of the 2nd round close enough or stfu).

I'm on board with if you really want a dynasty, you need one great guy at one position instead of 10-15 great players at a multitude of spots. If I was a GM I would draft a QB in the 1st every year until I found the franchise QB, I would take 9 Akili Smith's just to get that one Peyton.

-King-
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Here:

Yeah I agree with all this except the sanchez stuff :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Rasputin
01-15-2011, 12:28 PM
This is a great thread! Thanks 'Hamas' Jenkins that was full of good stuff and knowledge.

It can't be expressed enough for Chiefs to draft a quarterback for our future hopes. To be the guy that our division get's sick and tired of and wants to puke when we face them. I get sick and tired of Rivers:Lin:, I'm not counting them out next year because of him. The Chiefs have averaged a new Rehash QB every 2.5 years (if I had done my math right) since Blackledge. Trent Green being the longest lasting QB with 5 years with us. That's not getting the job done for championship caliber football IMO. There is nothing wrong with having a vet QB to start out a season till our draftee is ready or he just kicks ass enough to win it but the vets time table is not long. So having a guy to be deamed franchise and molded into that role for the time it's his turn so we don't miss a beat. Personaly I have no quarrems to watch a young guy struggle, but get to watch him grow as a player to become something special for this team. I think the sooner we get him on the field the better.

Some fans need to let go of there fear of drafting a QBotf. Blackledge is ancient history but the retread QBs are still the major problem because apparently of him. If more fans start clammouring for us to draft a QBotf hopefully we will and hopefully it will be a first round gem. We may just build a team for multiple Super Bowl VICTORY> Who knows? or we can continue to do what we do and live in our mediocre hell.

Maybe next year? :doh!:

It's been long long over do to draft a first round pick. Nothing is guaranteed but I think the reward is well worth the risk. Not taking a QBotf is even a bigger risk for us to ever win or sniff at the hopes of winning a Super Bowl.

DaneMcCloud
01-15-2011, 12:40 PM
All 6 are the exceptions, not the rule.

wut

Jewish Rabbi
01-15-2011, 01:05 PM
So... You think we should take Stanzi in the 1st round?

BossChief
01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
So... You think we should take Stanzi in the 1st round?

Haha no...I'd be cool with him in the third or later though

Jewish Rabbi
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Haha no...I'd be cool with him in the third or later though

:)

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-15-2011, 02:40 PM
YEAH BUT TOM BRADY WAS DRAFTED IN THE 6TH ROUND SO DURRRRRRR DUH DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

AND THATZ TWIZT OF FATEZ HAPPENZ EVERYDAYZ TOO!!!11111

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-15-2011, 02:59 PM
....of current playoff teams quarterbacks were drafted in the first round.

Tom Brady and Matt Hasselbeck are the only two that weren't.

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Ben Rothlisberger
Aaron Rogers
Mark Sanchez

that's all

We're carving out our own niche in in "The Patriot Way":

Chapter One; Winning Without Talent.

Yeah, that'll work.

JD10367
01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=positionhttp://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

20 years worth of drafting QBs. I boldfaced some of the more notable names who turned into starters or decent backups (at least for a while).

I think there's a more recent trend which shows that the teams are getting "smarter" when it comes to drafting QBs (i.e. more high picks seem to be working out). But, overall, aside from the obvious blue-chippers, there's still quite a bit of hit-or-miss with high picks flaming out and mid- to late-round picks shining.

The idea that you HAVE to have a Top Five QB pick is ridiculous.

2009 - QB
Rd Sel # Player Position School Team
1 1 Matthew Stafford QB Georgia Detroit Lions
1 5 Mark Sanchez QB USC New York Jets
1 17 Josh Freeman QB Kansas State Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2 44 Pat White QB West Virginia Miami Dolphins
4 101 Stephen McGee QB Texas A&M Dallas Cowboys
5 151 Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston State New York Giants
5 171 Nate Davis QB Ball State San Francisco 49ers
6 174 Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State Denver Broncos
6 178 Mike Teel QB Rutgers Seattle Seahawks
6 196 Keith Null QB West Texas A&M St. Louis Rams
6 201 Curtis Painter QB Purdue Indianapolis Colts

2008 - QB
1 3 Matt Ryan QB Boston College Atlanta Falcons
1 18 Joe Flacco QB Delaware Baltimore Ravens 2 56 Brian Brohm QB Louisville Green Bay Packers
2 57 Chad Henne QB Michigan Miami Dolphins
3 94 Kevin O'Connell QB San Diego State New England Patriots
5 137 John David Booty QB USC Minnesota Vikings
5 156 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon Pittsburgh Steelers
5 160 Josh Johnson QB San Diego Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee New York Jets
6 186 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii Washington Redskins
6 198 Andre Woodson QB Kentucky New York Giants
7 209 Matt Flynn QB Louisiana State Green Bay Packers
7 223 Alex Brink QB Washington State Houston Texans

2007 - QB
1 1 JaMarcus Russell QB Louisiana State Oakland Raiders
1 22 Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame Cleveland Browns
2 36 Kevin Kolb QB Houston Philadelphia Eagles
2 40 John Beck QB Brigham Young Miami Dolphins
2 43 Drew Stanton QB Michigan State Detroit Lions
3 92 Trent Edwards QB Stanford Buffalo Bills
5 151 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada-Reno Cincinnati Bengals
5 174 Troy Smith QB Ohio State Baltimore Ravens
6 205 Jordan Palmer QB Texas-El Paso Washington Redskins
7 217 Tyler Thigpen QB Coastal Carolina Minnesota Vikings

2006 - QB
1 3 Vince Young QB Texas Tennessee Titans
1 10 Matt Leinart QB USC Arizona Cardinals
1 11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt Denver Broncos 2
49 Kellen Clemens QB Oregon New York Jets
2 64 Tarvaris Jackson QB Alabama State Minnesota Vikings
3 81 Charlie Whitehurst QB Clemson San Diego Chargers
3 85 Brodie Croyle QB Alabama Kansas City Chiefs
5 148 Ingle Martin QB Furman Green Bay Packers
5 164 Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green State Pittsburgh Steelers
6 194 Bruce Gradkowski QB Toledo Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7 223 D.J. Shockley QB Georgia Atlanta Falcons

2005 - QB
1 1 Alex Smith QB Utah San Francisco 49ers
1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California Green Bay Packers
1 25 Jason Campbell QB Auburn Washington Redskins
3 67 Charlie Frye QB Akron Cleveland Browns
3 69 Andrew Walter QB Arizona State Oakland Raiders
3 85 David Greene QB Georgia Seattle Seahawks
4 106 Kyle Orton QB Purdue Chicago Bears
4 121 Stefan LeFors QB Louisville Carolina Panthers
5 145 Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut Detroit Lions
5 152 Adrian McPherson QB Florida State New Orleans Saints
6 213 Derek Anderson QB Oregon State Baltimore Ravens
7 230 Matt Cassel QB USC New England Patriots
7 250 Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Harvard St. Louis Rams

2004 - QB
1 1 Eli Manning QB Mississippi San Diego Chargers
1 4 Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State New York Giants
1 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (Ohio) Pittsburgh Steelers
1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane Buffalo Bills
3 90 Matt Schaub QB Virginia Atlanta Falcons
4 106 Luke McCown QB Louisiana Tech Cleveland Browns
5 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State Chicago Bears
6 185 Andy Hall QB Delaware Philadelphia Eagles
6 187 Josh Harris QB Bowling Green State Baltimore Ravens
6 193 Jim Sorgi QB Wisconsin Indianapolis Colts
6 201 Jeff Smoker QB Michigan State St. Louis Rams
7 202 John Navarre QB Michigan Arizona Cardinals
7 217 Cody Pickett QB Washington San Francisco 49ers
7 218 Casey Bramlet QB Wyoming Cincinnati Bengals
7 225 Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State Denver Broncos
7 248 B.J. Symons QB Texas Tech Houston Texans
7 250 Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State Denver Broncos

2003 - QB
1 1 Carson Palmer QB USC Cincinnati Bengals
1 7 Byron Leftwich QB Marshall Jacksonville Jaguars
1 19 Kyle Boller QB California Baltimore Ravens
1 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida Chicago Bears
3 88 Dave Ragone QB Louisville Houston Texans
3 97 Chris Simms QB Texas Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4 110 Seneca Wallace QB Iowa State Seattle Seahawks
5 163 Brian St. Pierre QB Boston College Pittsburgh Steelers
6 192 Drew Henson QB Michigan Houston Texans
6 200 Brooks Bollinger QB Wisconsin New York Jets
6 201 Kliff Kingsbury QB Texas Tech New England Patriots
7 232 Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana Washington Redskins
7 241 Ken Dorsey QB Miami (Fla.) San Francisco 49ers

2002 - QB
1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State Houston Texans
1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon Detroit Lions
1 32 Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane Washington Redskins
3 81 Josh McCown QB Sam Houston State Arizona Cardinals
4 108 David Garrard QB East Carolina Jacksonville Jaguars
4 117 Rohan Davey QB Louisiana State New England Patriots
5 137 Randy Fasani QB Stanford Carolina Panthers
5 158 Kurt Kittner QB Illinois Atlanta Falcons
5 163 Brandon Doman QB Brigham Young San Francisco 49ers
5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State-Louisiana Green Bay Packers
6 186 J.T. O'Sullivan QB California-Davis New Orleans Saints
7 216 Seth Burford QB Cal Poly-S.L.O. San Diego Chargers
7 232 Jeff Kelly QB Southern Mississippi Seattle Seahawks
7 235 Ronald Curry QB North Carolina Oakland Raiders
7 236 Wes Pate QB Stephen F. Austin St. Baltimore Ravens

2001 - QB
1 1 Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons
2 32 Drew Brees QB Purdue San Diego Chargers
2 53 Quincy Carter QB Georgia Dallas Cowboys
2 59 Marques Tuiasosopo QB Washington Oakland Raiders
4 106 Chris Weinke QB Florida State Carolina Panthers
4 109 Sage Rosenfels QB Iowa State Washington Redskins
4 125 Jesse Palmer QB Florida New York Giants
5 149 Mike McMahon QB Rutgers Detroit Lions
5 155 A.J. Feeley QB Oregon Philadelphia Eagles
6 172 Josh Booty QB Louisiana State Seattle Seahawks
6 177 Josh Heupel QB Oklahoma Miami Dolphins

2000 - QB
1 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall New York Jets
3 65 Giovanni Carmazzi QB Hofstra San Francisco 49ers
3 75 Chris Redman QB Louisville Baltimore Ravens
5 163 Tee Martin QB Tennessee Pittsburgh Steelers
6 168 Marc Bulger QB West Virginia New Orleans Saints
6 183 Spergon Wynn QB Texas State Cleveland Browns
6 199 Tom Brady QB Michigan New England Patriots
6 202 Todd Husak QB Stanford Washington Redskins
7 212 Tim Rattay QB Louisiana Tech San Francisco 49ers
7 214 Jarious Jackson QB Notre Dame Denver Broncos
7 234 Joe Hamilton QB Georgia Tech Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1999 - QB
1 1 Tim Couch QB Kentucky Cleveland Browns
1 2 Donovan McNabb QB Syracuse Philadelphia Eagles
1 3 Akili Smith QB Oregon Cincinnati Bengals
1 11 Daunte Culpepper QB Central Florida Minnesota Vikings
1 12 Cade McNown QB UCLA Chicago Bears
2 50 Shaun King QB Tulane Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3 77 Brock Huard QB Washington Seattle Seahawks
4 101 Joe Germaine QB Ohio State St. Louis Rams
4 131 Aaron Brooks QB Virginia Green Bay Packers
5 151 Kevin Daft QB California-Davis Tennessee Titans
7 227 Michael Bishop QB Kansas State New England Patriots
7 239 Chris Greisen QB Northwest Missouri State Arizona Cardinals
7 245 Scott Covington QB Miami (Fla.) Cincinnati Bengals

1998 - QB
1 1 Peyton Manning QB Tennessee Indianapolis Colts
1 2 Ryan Leaf QB Washington State San Diego Chargers
2 60 Charlie Batch QB Eastern Michigan Detroit Lions
3 86 Jonathan Quinn QB Middle Tennessee State Jacksonville Jaguars
3 91 Brian Griese QB Michigan Denver Broncos
6 187 Matt Hasselbeck QB Boston College Green Bay Packers
7 232 Moses Moreno QB Colorado State Chicago Bears

1997 - QB
1 26 Jim Druckenmiller QB Virginia Tech San Francisco 49ers
2 42 Jake Plummer QB Arizona State Arizona Cardinals
4 99 Danny Wuerffel QB Florida New Orleans Saints
4 110 Pat Barnes QB California Kansas City Chiefs
6 171 Mike Cherry QB Murray State New York Giants
6 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston New York Jets
7 204 Tony Graziani QB Oregon Atlanta Falcons
7 207 Koy Detmer QB Colorado Philadelphia Eagles
7 234 Wally Richardson QB Penn State Baltimore Ravens

1996 - QB
2 42 Tony Banks QB Michigan State St. Louis Rams
3 85 Bobby Hoying QB Ohio State Philadelphia Eagles
4 100 Jeff Lewis QB Northern Arizona Denver Broncos
4 130 Danny Kanell QB Florida State New York Giants
7 238 Jon Stark QB Trinity International Baltimore Ravens
7 240 Kyle Wachholtz QB USC Green Bay Packers

1995 - QB
1 3 Steve McNair QB Alcorn State Houston Oilers
1 5 Kerry Collins QB Penn State Carolina Panthers
2 45 Todd Collins QB Michigan Buffalo Bills
2 60 Kordell Stewart QB Colorado Pittsburgh Steelers
3 80 Stoney Case QB New Mexico Arizona Cardinals
3 84 Eric Zeier QB Georgia Cleveland Browns
4 99 Rob Johnson QB USC Jacksonville Jaguars
4 111 Chad May QB Kansas State Minnesota Vikings
4 119 Dave Barr QB California Philadelphia Eagles
4 134 Steve Stenstrom QB Stanford Kansas City Chiefs
5 160 Jay Barker QB Alabama Green Bay Packers
6 197 Craig Whelihan QB U. of Pacific San Diego Chargers
7 213 John Walsh QB Brigham Young Cincinnati Bengals

1994 - QB
1 3 Heath Shuler QB Tennessee Washington Redskins
1 6 Trent Dilfer QB Fresno State Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4 111 Perry Klein QB C.W. Post Atlanta Falcons
4 116 Doug Nussmeier QB Idaho New Orleans Saints
6 178 Jim Miller QB Michigan State Pittsburgh Steelers
7 197 Gus Frerotte QB Tulsa Washington Redskins
7 198 Jay Walker QB Howard New England Patriots
7 199 Steve Matthews QB Memphis Kansas City Chiefs
7 208 Glenn Foley QB Boston College New York Jets

1993 - QB
1 1 Drew Bledsoe QB Washington State New England Patriots
1 2 Rick Mirer QB Notre Dame Seattle Seahawks
3 58 Billy Joe Hobert QB Washington Los Angeles Raiders
5 118 Mark Brunell QB Washington Green Bay Packers
7 192 Gino Torretta QB Miami (Fla.) Minnesota Vikings
8 216 Alex Van Pelt QB Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Steelers
8 219 Elvis Grbac QB Michigan San Francisco 49ers
8 222 Trent Green QB Indiana San Diego Chargers

1992 - QB
1 6 David Klingler QB Houston Cincinnati Bengals
1 25 Tommy Maddox QB UCLA Denver Broncos
2 40 Matt Blundin QB Virginia Kansas City Chiefs
2 46 Tony Sacca QB Penn State Phoenix Cardinals
4 86 Craig Erickson QB Miami (Fla.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4 102 Casey Weldon QB Florida State Philadelphia Eagles
4 107 Will Furrer QB Virginia Tech Chicago Bears
4 112 Chris Hakel QB William & Mary Washington Redskins
6 166 Jeff Blake QB East Carolina New York Jets
8 211 Kent Graham QB Ohio State New York Giants
8 220 Bucky Richardson QB Texas A&M Houston Oilers
8 222 Mike Pawlawski QB California Tampa Bay Buccaneers
9 227 Brad Johnson QB Florida State Minnesota Vikings
9 228 T.J. Rubley QB Tulsa Los Angeles Rams
9 230 Ty Detmer QB Brigham Young Green Bay Packers
Dave Brown QB Duke New York Giants

1991 - QB
1 16 Dan McGwire QB San Diego State Seattle Seahawks
1 24 Todd Marinovich QB USC Los Angeles Raiders
2 33 Brett Favre QB Southern Mississippi Atlanta Falcons
2 34 Browning Nagle QB Louisville New York Jets
4 84 Scott Zolak QB Maryland New England Patriots
4 99 Donald Hollas QB Rice Cincinnati Bengals
4 106 Bill Musgrave QB Oregon Dallas Cowboys
7 190 Paul Justin QB Arizona State Chicago Bears
10 260 Pat O'Hara QB USC Tampa Bay Buccaneers
11 284 Shawn Moore QB Virginia Denver Broncos

1990 - QB
1 1 Jeff George QB Illinois Indianapolis Colts
1 7 Andre Ware QB Houston Detroit Lions
3 59 Tom Hodson QB Louisiana State New England Patriots
3 63 Peter Tom Willis QB Florida State Chicago Bears
3 70 Neil O'Donnell QB Maryland Pittsburgh Steelers
4 84 Troy Taylor QB California New York Jets
4 86 Cary Conklin QB Washington Washington Redskins
4 93 Scott Mitchell QB Utah Miami Dolphins
5 135 Craig Kupp QB Pacific Lutheran New York Giants
6 138 John Friesz QB Idaho San Diego Chargers
6 156 Mike Buck QB Maine New Orleans Saints
12 311 Gene Benhart QB Western Illinois Indianapolis Colts
12 321 Reggie Slack QB Auburn Houston Oilers

KCBOSS1
01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
We need a first rounder too.

Psyko Tek
01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
For what its worth, 6 out of the 8 coaches in the playoffs are defensive minded coaches.

Tomlin
Ryan
Belichick
M. Smith
Harbaugh
L. Smith

Posted via Mobile Device

we where remember Gunther?
and Herm?

DeezNutz
01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
You forgot to bold Rex Grossman.

I was told that Cassel might develop into this level of QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-15-2011, 05:01 PM
You forgot to bold Rex Grossman.

I was told that Cassel might develop into this level of QB.

We can only hope.

-King-
01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
We can only hope.

:spock:

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-15-2011, 05:09 PM
We can only hope.

Correction:

Much too high an aspiration.

Rasputin
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
KC drafted QBs from 1970...This is our history of drafting QBs year round and overal pick #, & School drafted from.

1972 Rnd 7, 179th pick Dean Carlson Iowa State

1974 Rnd 3, 66th pick David haynes Kansas

1978 Rnd 4, 23erd pick Steve Fuller Clemson

1981 Rnd 12, pick 319 Bob Gagliano Utah State

1983 Rnd 1, 7th pick Todd Blackledge Penn State

1987 Rnd 7, 186th pick Doug Hudson Nicholls St University *

1988 Rnd 11, 282nd pick Danny McManus Florida Sate

1989 Rnd 2, 32nd pick Mike Elkins Wake Forest

1992 Rnd 2, 40th pick Matt Blundin Virginia

1994 Rnd 7, 199th pick Steve Mathews Memphis

1995 Rnd 4, 134th pick Steve Stenstrom Stanford

1997 Rnd 4, 110th pick Pat Barnes California

2006 Rnd 3, 85th pick Brodie Croyle Alabama *

*Doug Hudson from the 1987 draft class was the last QB to start for Chiefs that we drafted untill Brodie Croyle*

Note from 1997 to 2006 no QBs taken

I don't think the round matters as much as actually drafting QBs, and have a system in place to develop them for future or immidiate use. Not every QB is going to pan out, but got to be ready and have some one worthy for taking over this prestigious position.

Maybe it wasn't Blackledge but Doug Hudson who ruined it for us? His only start did not pan out so well :spock: Any one want to remember?

Brodie was a half azz attempt but with his injury history & lack of faith in him to stay healthy put him on the oh noze list. Too bad, I did have high hopes for him, at the same time wanted us to continue to have draftee prospects for that reason of him not lasting.

We got to take some fortitude and draft a QB with the idea of him becomming a franchise QB. To continue to do this even after we get a guy.
I don't care if this has been hashed out, this is about us competing and winning a Super Bowl. Our team has not wiffed that dream for a long time and it's past time to have our own QB of fortune. I would like to have a QB last long enough to surpass Lenny the Cool in passing yards and TDs. That would be kind of cool in my life time. I would love to have a QB for years to come that is the envy of the league. I would love to have a QB take ownership of this team that we picked from the draft. That we can call our own and not tainted from another team.

BossChief
01-15-2011, 09:58 PM
3 of those 6 quarterbacks, we chose to pass on when we were on the clock in their respective draft.

Pioli Zombie
01-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh c'mon, Cassel was great this year. He passed for over 3,000 yards!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh c'mon, Cassel was great this year. He passed for over 3,000 yards!!

"Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth......ShitMyPants!"

"Thank you, My Master"!(Howdy-Doody voice)

BossChief
01-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Anybody want to draft Aaron Rodgers? Nah, lets take a non pass rushing linebacker instead

How about Joe Flacco? ...nah well take a couple linemen

Mark Sanchez? ...you obviously arent paying attention LINEMEN

Pioli Zombie
01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Cassel looked great in the playoff...OH MY GOD GWYNETH PALTROW LOOKS SO HOT ON SNL!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
How the fuck do you go nine years without drafting a single, goddamned quarterback? How the fuck is that even possible?

BossChief
01-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Im not sure which is more insane...9 years without drafting a single quarterback or 27 fucking years without spending a first rounder on one

The bad thing is that its OUR TEAM that has this problem.

Dont they think we deserve better?

You bet your ass that if we hit the jackpot on a quarterback, that stadium would fill up faster than anyone could imagine.

Fuck even when John Elway was taking his team to superbowls they spent a first rounder on a damn quarteback because they werent gonna chance being complacent.

Us?

27 years

Longest streak in the league of playoff losses

F

M

L

DaneMcCloud
01-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Im not sure which is more insane...9 years without drafting a single quarterback or 27 fucking years without spending a first rounder on one

You bet your ass that if we hit the jackpot on a quarterback, that stadium would fill up faster than anyone could imagine.

Fuck even when John Elway was taking his team to superbowls they spent a first rounder on a damn quarteback because they werent gonna chance being complacent.

Us?

27 years

F

M

L

Be careful.

You're about to piss off StevieRay and any number of forum members that make any and every excuse for this pathetic fucking, money making, yet losing franchise.

Beware wrath of the defenders of one of the most fucked franchise in the history of the NFL.

Ooooooh.

Bewbies
01-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Im not sure which is more insane...9 years without drafting a single quarterback or 27 ****ing years without spending a first rounder on one

**** even when John Elway was taking his team to superbowls they spent a first rounder on a damn quarteback because they werent gonna chance being complacent.

Us?

27 years

F

M

L

Save the QB stuff this was exactly what I was thinking watching the 4th quarter of the game last week. What in the world did I do to become the fan of such a lousy franchise?

Oh well, hopefully we'll correct the mistakes of the past. (I have to say that right?):evil:

BossChief
01-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Be careful.

You're about to piss off StevieRay and any number of forum members that make any and every excuse for this pathetic ****ing, money making, yet losing franchise.

Beware wrath of the defenders of one of the most ****ed franchise in the history of the NFL.

Ooooooh.

StevieRay hates every word I type on here so bad that he wants to make a year long ban bet with me because I said that I think Matt Cassel has played as well as we will ever see if we dont add Josh McDaniels as our qb coach.

I have coined the term "Cassenial" as the term that should be used for a bunch of members here.

I simply cant imagine how we think we did a "full rebuild" correctly without spending a single draft pick on a rookie quarterback after having 3 back to back to back top 5 draft picks.

Rasputin
01-16-2011, 01:16 AM
That's a good question BossChief. No QB taken when we had top five picks last three years. Tyson Jackson WTF?

-King-
01-16-2011, 01:36 AM
StevieRay hates every word I type on here so bad that he wants to make a year long ban bet with me because I said that I think Matt Cassel has played as well as we will ever see if we dont add Josh McDaniels as our qb coach.

I have coined the term "Cassenial" as the term that should be used for a bunch of members here.

I simply cant imagine how we think we did a "full rebuild" correctly without spending a single draft pick on a rookie quarterback after having 3 back to back to back top 5 draft picks.

This is what gets to me. You guys want to draft a qb in the first for the sake of drafting a qb in the first. Who worthy have we skipped out on really the past three years? Only Flacco and Freeman. Dorsey was a no brainer pick so its not like we fucked up there. Tyson jackson was a fuck up, but if we had to do it again, id take Raji, Matthews, Harvin etc over Sanchez. Berry was a no brainer this year also.

So the whole "we had 3 top 5 picks and didn't get a qb" argument is BS to me. We didn't skip over any worthy QBs. Now if we have a chance at Gabbert this draft and we don't draft him, I'll be pissed. But I'm not mad over skipping over Sanchez. Freeman kind of, but no one at the time thought he'd be this good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bewbies
01-16-2011, 01:42 AM
This is what gets to me. You guys want to draft a qb in the first for the sake of drafting a qb in the first. Who worthy have we skipped out on really the past three years? Only Flacco and Freeman. Dorsey was a no brainer pick so its not like we ****ed up there. Tyson jackson was a **** up, but if we had to do it again, id take Raji, Matthews, Harvin etc over Sanchez. Berry was a no brainer this year also.

So the whole "we had 3 top 5 picks and didn't get a qb" argument is BS to me. We didn't skip over any worthy QBs. Now if we have a chance at Gabbert this draft and we don't draft him, I'll be pissed. But I'm not mad over skipping over Sanchez. Freeman kind of, but no one at the time thought he'd be this good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tis better to swing and miss than not swing at all. Would we be better off long term had we taken Flacco, Freeman or possibly even Sanchez?

jd1020
01-16-2011, 01:50 AM
This is what gets to me. You guys want to draft a qb in the first for the sake of drafting a qb in the first. Who worthy have we skipped out on really the past three years? Only Flacco and Freeman. Dorsey was a no brainer pick so its not like we ****ed up there. Tyson jackson was a **** up, but if we had to do it again, id take Raji, Matthews, Harvin etc over Sanchez. Berry was a no brainer this year also.

Posted via Mobile Device

Flacco and Sanchez are 100% more worthy than Cassel. Both have already surpassed Cassel's accomplishments in 1/2 and 1/3 of his NFL career.

Hootie
01-16-2011, 01:51 AM
The more interesting thing to me is where in the first round those QBs were taken:

Ryan 3
Sanchez 5
Cutler 11
Roethlisberger 11
Flacco 18
Rogers 24

I would say this is quite interesting...

since there is no doubt that guys who walk into better situations have a better chance at success...

if Alex Smith falls to the Packers instead of Rodgers would he have blossomed like Rodgers behind Favre?

Perhaps...he at least would have had a much better shot than he had in San Fran.

BossChief
01-16-2011, 02:05 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Oh come on, Gabbert could very well be the next Alex Smith...why on earth should we take a chance on him (even if we would have to trade up to do so) if we have a solid chance at a damn good OL or any other position on the field?

jd1020
01-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Oh come on, Gabbert could very well be the next Alex Smith...why on earth should we take a chance on him (even if we would have to trade up to do so) if we have a solid chance at a damn good OL or any other position on the field?

Hasn't Alex Smith played a different style offense every single year of his career?

I'll take potential QB's over potential OL 24/7/365.

L.A. Chieffan
01-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Its too soon after the blackledge fiasco. Give people time to get over it

BossChief
01-16-2011, 02:26 AM
Hasn't Alex Smith played a different style offense every single year of his career?

I'll take potential QB's over potential OL 24/7/365.

no, no, no no no

Potential can get you burned...the solid choice is the linemen cause one thing is for sure is that you win games with a solid line and defense first and foremost.

come to grips with this

JOhn
01-16-2011, 03:14 AM
Its too soon after the blackledge fiasco. Give people time to get over it

:LOL:

Pasta Little Brioni
01-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Flacco has been an absolute trainwreck outside of the Chiefs game of course in postseason play in his career. The 2nd half he played yesterday was absolutely pathetic. He has been propped up by an immensely talented team.

MahiMike
01-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about this last night when I see Ben heave up a 3rd and 19 hail mary that just happened to land right in his player's lap. That SB w/him and Kurt Warner showed 2 of the best to ever play.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about this last night when I see Ben heave up a 3rd and 19 hail mary that just happened to land right in his player's lap. That SB w/him and Kurt Warner showed 2 of the best to ever play.

He's made big plays his entire career and in some very tough situations. Average Joe can't hold his jock.

philfree
01-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Ryan 3
Sanchez 5
Cutler 11
Roethlisberger 11
Flacco 18
Rogers 24

So only two were taken in the top 10. Ryan warranted his pick. I'm one of those who believes Sanchez was taken far higher than he should have been, but people will argue that. Cutler should I think get an asterick, since he isn't playing for the team that drafted him. Flacco and Roethlisberger were small school guys. Rodgers was and will always be kind of a head-scratcher, as far as his draft-day fall goes.

Who's the best of that bunch? Has to be Roethlisberger, the guy with the rings. Ryan would I think come after him, although Atlanta is still a run-first team. Then probably Rodgers and Flacco. Cutler is to me a flake. I expected bigger things out of him, and you never know whether he's going to come out and have a 4 TD day or a 4 pick day. And then there was Sanchez. Maybe the Jets can continue to win despite him.

The thing that's really lost is how good these guys' teams are. They all have strong defenses. Most of them are asked more to manage their offenses, with the exception of Roethlisberger, who's basically been the Steelers offense since about 2007. Tom Brady would fall into that category, too. Those two guys are I think far more important to their teams than any of the other QBs currently in the playoffs. The rest of them are closer to what Cassel was asked to be during the year - make your plays but don't screw up. The difference, of course, being that some of them have shown that they can not only let themselves be carried, but also come through and make that big play when the team needs it.

I'm one of those guys that believes it doesn't really matter where you get your quarterback. Sure, a Peyton Manning would be nice, but you have to be in a position to land one. And unfortunately, for all the QBs I've wanted the Chiefs to take in the last decade, they haven't been. Ryan was the most recent guy I was big on that I thought we'd have a shot at. I thought we'd be in a position for one in 2011, but it doesn't look like it now, the way that the NCAA season played-out, paired with the 'hopeful' performance they got out of Cassel. That was basically my worst-case scenario for him and for the Chiefs: he showed just enough flashes to give some hope for the future, but in the end left way too many questions.

I think Rogers is the best of the bunch at this point IMO. How long did he sit behind Favre? 3-4 years? Packers did a great job of transitioning from Favre to Rogers.

How does Locker compare to Rogers? That's what I'm wondering right now.

PhilFree:arrow:

MahiMike
01-16-2011, 08:30 AM
He's made big plays his entire career and in some very tough situations. Average Joe can't hold his jock.

Pisses me off that we coulda had him for a 2nd rounder last year when he got in trouble. Pittsburgh was ready to run him out of town. I know fans that still want him gone.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-16-2011, 08:32 AM
I think Rogers is the best of the bunch at this point IMO. How long did he sit behind Favre? 3-4 years? Packers did a great job of transitioning from Favre to Rogers.

How does Locker compare to Rogers? That's what I'm wondering right now.

Roethlisberger has been too good in the clutch in his career to have Rodgers rated ahead of him, but Rodgers is definately making plenty of teams regret passing on him when he slid on draft day years ago.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Pisses me off that we coulda had him for a 2nd rounder last year when he got in trouble. Pittsburgh was ready to run him out of town. I know fans that still want him gone.

I could be mistaken, but I remember a thread here where I believe plenty of people wanted nothing to do with him at that time.

philfree
01-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Roethlisberger has been too good in the clutch in his career to have Rodgers rated ahead of him, but Rodgers is definately making plenty of teams regret passing on him when he slid on draft day years ago.

Big Ben has had a better career to this point but I think Rodgers is playing better right now. And with all his clutch play Big Ben is a dumbass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Big Ben has had a better career to this point but I think Rodgers is playing better right now. And with all his clutch play Big Ben is a POST-SEASON, WINNING dumbass.

Never lose sight of the goal.

BossChief
01-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Ben was never available, but continue to be pissed off about it.

philfree
01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Never lose sight of the goal.

o.k. :shrug:

BossChief
01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Aaron Rodgers
Mark Sanchez
Ben Rothlisberger
Jay Cutler

What dO all 4 remaining quarterbacks have in common?

milkman
01-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Aaron Rodgers
Mark Sanchez
Ben Rothlisberger
Jay Cutler

They won their last game.

BossChief
01-16-2011, 09:21 PM

They also have an r in their names

Duh

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM

ROFL

jd1020
01-16-2011, 09:25 PM
They also have an r in their names

Duh

Sanchez?

First names dont count btw.

BossChief
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Sanchez?

First names dont count btw.

Shut yur pi hole n00b

Marcellus
01-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Aaron Rodgers
Mark Sanchez
Ben Rothlisberger
Jay Cutler

None of them went to USC. None of them joined the military. None of them play accordion......wait Big Ben may do that by now.

Bambi
01-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Aaron Rodgers
Mark Sanchez
Ben Rothlisberger
Jay Cutler

sex assault?

Well at least got half

DaKCMan AP
01-17-2011, 08:50 AM
None of them went to USC. None of them joined the military. None of them play accordion......wait Big Ben may do that by now.

Mark Sanchez didn't go to USC?