PDA

View Full Version : Life Pilot holds flight for man going to see dying grandson

ZepSinger
01-15-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/14/southwest.pilot.holds.flight/index.html?iref=allsearch

Heartwrenching story- really put a lump in my throat. I wish I could shake the pilot's hand and thank him for going above and beyond and doing the right thing...

(CNN) -- Time was running out, and Mark Dickinson wasn't sure whether he'd get to see his dying 2-year-old grandson one last time. A long line at Los Angeles International Airport's security checkpoint had kept him from getting to his gate on time.

His grandson Caden would be taken off life support in a matter of hours in Denver, Colorado, with or without his grandfather's presence, according to CNN affiliate KABC.

"I was kind of panicking because I was running late, and I really thought I wasn't going to make the flight," Dickinson told KABC.

That's when a pilot from Southwest Airlines stepped up and held the flight at the gate until Dickinson arrived. The pilot was standing by the jetway waiting for him when Dickinson arrived in socks, so rushed that he just grabbed his shoes at security and ran through the terminal.

"I told him, 'Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciated that.' And he said, 'No problem. They can't leave without me anyway,' " Dickinson told KABC.

Authorities say Dickinson's grandson, Caden Rodgers, suffered a head injury after his mother's boyfriend threw him across the room. The boyfriend reportedly told police he was drunk and high on marijuana at the time. The child later died and the boyfriend has been charged with first-degree murder, according to the Aurora Sentinel.

Dickinson's wife had called Southwest and asked them to hold the plane. After the flight, Dickinson said, he wanted to thank the pilot again for his serious display of empathy but didn't get the chance. Dickinson made it to Colorado in time to say goodbye to his grandson.

"I would just tell him that I can't tell him how grateful I am that he did that for me," he said.

Most airlines would punish any staff member who holds up a flight, according to consumer advocate Christopher Elliott, who broke the story of the compassionate pilot on his blog. However, a Southwest spokeswoman said the pilot's actions were exemplary.

"You can't hold a plane for every late customer, but I think we would all agree that these were extenuating circumstances and the pilot absolutely made the right decision," Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis said. "I don't think you could ask for a better example of great service for our customers."

Though the airline has identified the pilot who held the plane for Dickinson, the pilot has asked that his name not be released to the public.

"As you're reading the story, you absolutely get tears in your eyes and just an overwhelming sense of pride that our pilot took such an action," McInnis said. "It really makes you proud to work for Southwest."

tyler360
01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Amazing. Hats off to the pilot

Psyko Tek
01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
southwest kicks ass

FlaChief58
01-15-2011, 07:25 PM
That story renews my faith in humanity (the POS who killed the baby excluded of course). I can only hope for swift jailhouse justice for him.

Paniero
01-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Great story. Good on the pilot, even better than expected response from the airline.

-King-
01-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Nice job by the Pilot.

The boyfriend who threw the baby should get his ass beat within an inch of death every single day he's in jail. Who the fuck throws a baby?

alpha_omega
01-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Great work by both the pilot and airline!

RIP Little One.

siberian khatru
01-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey, boyfriend: Enjoy prison rape. Hope your ass feels like someone flew a 737 straight up it.

Lzen
01-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Great story and nice job by he pilot. Even down to not wanting his name released.

Now that boyfriend can get raped with a mace for all I care.

ZepSinger
01-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I was telling my wife about this story and had to pause a couple of times to compose myself. Between the pilot's incredible compassion and the family's heartbreaking sorrow, this story really got to me.

I hope the baby-killing b@stard gets everything that's coming to him in the bowels of prison...

Z

jspchief
01-15-2011, 08:08 PM
southwest kicks assThis.

Southwest time and again shows themselves to be the best airline in the US.

ROYC75
01-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Great work by both the pilot and airline!

RIP Little One.

This!

RIP little Caden and a BIG Thank You to Southwest.

joesomebody
01-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Good for southwest. I've always enjoyed flying with them. I even enjoy the fact that there flight attendendants are snarky and have a sense of humor.
Very sad story, but good on Southwest.

teedubya
01-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Great to hear from Southwest... most airlines suck...

and **** that drunk idiot boyfriend high and drunk throwing around little kids. WTF.

Damn Bronco fans.

Hydrae
01-15-2011, 08:37 PM
How do I give rep to the pilot?

Gonzo
01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I hope that cocksucker that killed that baby burns to death in a prison fire after serving 40 years, one day before parole.
Posted via Mobile Device

unothadeal
01-15-2011, 08:47 PM
At first glance I read, "Pioli holds flight for..."

JD10367
01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
The only thing that would've made this story more heartwarming is if, right after saying goodbye to his grandson, the grandfather snuck into the prison, kidnapped the murderer, and took him to a basement where he then treated the bastard to some "Dexter"-style lingering torture, which was simultaneously broadcast over the Web on an unblockable signal with the banner "LET THIS BE A WARNING TO EVILDOERS" above it.

Man, I got a little verklempt just from that description. They could film that and show it every Christmas, IMO.

-King-
01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
I hope that cocksucker that killed that baby burns to death in a prison fire after serving 40 years, one day before parole.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dying is too kind. He needs to feel pain every day of his life.

Gadzooks
01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Why didn't he stop the mother from allowing a drunk/high POS in her house with her 2 year old son?
Perhaps I'm being too idealistic, but that shit wouldn't go down on my watch.

Bugeater
01-15-2011, 09:00 PM
It's kind of funny how there's no hate directed towards the mother for letting the POS knock her up in the first place.

Gonzo
01-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Dying is too kind. He needs to feel pain every day of his life.
How about this:

He's raped in prison daily for 30 years, makes parole and on the ride home he gets into a fiery car crash. He gets 3rd degree burns over 95% of his body. Goes through painful skin grafts that don't take. Then gets a painkiller allergy and they have to keep him conscious for fear of cardiac arrest. His body then takes the 2nd set of grafts and right before being released after 2 years of unfathomable pain, they find out he has pancreatic cancer.
The doctors decide to try localized chemotherapy which fortunately, (due to the a fore mentioned allergy) causes him great pain and discomfort. Not to mention the constant vomiting and nausea.
His body accepts the chemo and he beats cancer. On his way home after finally being declared cancer free, he strokes out and has complete paralysis on his left side.
Our subject then decides to say the hell with it all and rolls himself in front of a speeding bus. The impact does not kill him. He ends up in the hospital with several broken bones where he is again arrested for jay-rolling, (a felony in 2051) thrown back in prison and ends up dying from an over-dose of drain-o administered by his former cell mate.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
01-15-2011, 09:21 PM
How about this:

He's raped in prison daily for 30 years, makes parole and on the ride home he gets into a fiery car crash. He gets 3rd degree burns over 95% of his body. Goes through painful skin grafts that don't take. Then gets a painkiller allergy and they have to keep him conscious for fear of cardiac arrest. His body then takes the 2nd set of grafts and right before being released after 2 years of unfathomable pain, they find out he has pancreatic cancer.
The doctors decide to try localized chemotherapy which fortunately, (due to the a fore mentioned allergy) causes him great pain and discomfort. Not to mention the constant vomiting and nausea.
His body accepts the chemo and he beats cancer. On his way home after finally being declared cancer free, he strokes out and has complete paralysis on his left side.
Our subject then decides to say the hell with it all and rolls himself in front of a speeding bus. The impact does not kill him. He ends up in the hospital with several broken bones where he is again arrested for jay-rolling, (a felony in 2051) thrown back in prison and ends up dying from an over-dose of drain-o administered by his former cell mate.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love you, man.

Gadzooks
01-15-2011, 09:23 PM
How about this:

Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect, except the overdose should be of man meat from his former cell mate.

Gonzo
01-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Perfect, except the overdose should be of man meat from his former cell mate.
He's been butt-raped so many times that he's pretty much used to it. Drain-o injection, however can be a very painful way to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
01-15-2011, 10:10 PM
How about this:

Posted via Mobile Device

:bravo::bravo: Perfect.

Royal Fanatic
01-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Why didn't he stop the mother from allowing a drunk/high POS in her house with her 2 year old son?
Perhaps I'm being too idealistic, but that shit wouldn't go down on my watch.
I'm glad you cleared THAT up for us.

Royal Fanatic
01-15-2011, 10:27 PM
How about this:

Posted via Mobile Device
And then he burns in hell for eternity.

kysirsoze
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Poor TSA guys can't catch a break.

WV
01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
How about this:

Posted via Mobile Device

Rep for that great epitaph!

KCrockaholic
01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Kinda of off topic, and nobody died....

On my very first flight of my life I was a bit nervous and just sitting in the terminal waiting for the Frontier plane to arrive. I was wearing baggy shorts that day and my wallet apparently fell out of my shorts as I was sitting in the chair. I had at least $400 in my wallet, my I.D., SSN, everything in my life basically.

Anyways, I got on the plane, almost everyone was on the flight and ready to go, and I put my hands to my side and felt an empty pocket. I jumped up, looked all around my seat on the plane, and then let the pilot know my wallet had fallen out of my pocket. He quickly got on the walkie and told his team members about the problem, and about 1 minute before the plane was about to take off, a Frontier employee came running onto the plane with my wallet. Everything in tact. All my money, I.D., and everything else was still in there. I couldn't believe it.

Nobody was dying, but that's my only plane story.

-King-
01-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Kinda of off topic, and nobody died....

On my very first flight of my life I was a bit nervous and just sitting in the terminal waiting for the Frontier plane to arrive. I was wearing baggy shorts that day and my wallet apparently fell out of my shorts as I was sitting in the chair. I had at least $400 in my wallet, my I.D., SSN, everything in my life basically.

Anyways, I got on the plane, almost everyone was on the flight and ready to go, and I put my hands to my side and felt an empty pocket. I jumped up, looked all around my seat on the plane, and then let the pilot know my wallet had fallen out of my pocket. He quickly got on the walkie and told his team members about the problem, and about 1 minute before the plane was about to take off, a Frontier employee came running onto the plane with my wallet. Everything in tact. All my money, I.D., and everything else was still in there. I couldn't believe it.

Nobody was dying, but that's my only plane story.
Um...sorry to tell you, but on the way back from the airplane, the frontier employee had a massive heart attack and died from running around to get your wallet.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
southwest kicks ass

I've got to think that American Airlines would NOT have held the flight.

Yay for Southwest!

I met Southwest's founder Herb Kelleher a couple of months ago at an entrepreneurial gala. The man is brilliant, funny, and down to earth. He is totally NOT what you'd expect from a big time business man. He was making off color poop jokes in a speech in front of many stuffy, self important business men.

MOhillbilly
01-18-2011, 09:05 AM
my mom used to bump people who were to 'fat' so i could get on stand by.

hahahaaa.

Ebolapox
01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
great story.

(insert random kevin smith joke)

PhillyChiefFan
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Great story. I love that the pilot chose to remain anonymous, shows that he was doing it out of empathy and kindness and not to make a story.

Dartgod
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Reason #53614 I always fly Southwest whenever possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClevelandBronco
01-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Meanwhile,* the guy whom the angels had scheduled to save a young woman who was choking on a piece of pita bread at the restaurant later that day didn't arrive on time and had to skip lunch. The woman he was scheduled to save died at the restaurant. She was a medical student who was to have invented a universal cure for cancer in 2034. God is pissed.

And now you know...the rest of the story.

*Beware the really, really poor theology that follows.

Dartgod
01-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Meanwhile,* the guy whom the angels had scheduled to save a young woman who was choking on a piece of pita bread at the restaurant later that day didn't arrive on time and had to skip lunch. The woman he was scheduled to save died at the restaurant. She was a medical student who was to have invented a universal cure for cancer in 2034. God is pissed.

And now you know...the rest of the story.

*Beware the really, really poor theology that follows.

Awesome. ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
For some reason, my brain read the thread title as PIOLI holds flight for man....

loochy
01-18-2011, 02:36 PM
For some reason, my brain read the thread title as PIOLI holds flight for man....

That's what I thought at first too. I thought maybe he used his private jet to fly someone in need.

Donger
01-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Meh, Southwest still sucks.

Pablo
01-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Reason #53614 I always fly Southwest whenever possible.
Posted via Mobile DeviceList the other 53,613 reasons.