PDA

View Full Version : Football Hey McDaniels

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
GFY

While former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was the leading candidate as the next offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams, a significant snag in negotiations has led the team to broaden its search to include coaches with West Coast-system roots in which quarterback Sam Bradford excelled during his rookie season, according to sources.

Meanwhile, with the firing of Jeremy Bates as Seahawks offensive coordinator, Seattle is giving strong consideration to hiring McDaniels for the vacancy, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The Rams went through league channels Tuesday morning to request interviews with coaches including Bill Musgrave of the Falcons and Darrell Bevell of the Vikings. Musgrave is the assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach in Atlanta and Bevell has been in limbo as the offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

The Rams were granted permission to interview Musgrave and Bevell but were denied permission to speak with Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who is under contract through 2011.

Former Vikings coach Brad Childress also is a candidate for the Rams opening.

Bevell, whose status in Minnesota is in limbo while coach Leslie Frazier looks at offensive coordinator candidates, is interviewing Tuesday for the Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach job, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is looking to replace quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch, who is leaving the team to become offensive coordinator at the University of Miami.

Musgrave is scheduled to interview with the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday and Vikings on Wednesday for the offensive coordinator position. Bevell is still a candidate to retain the job in Minnesota.

McDaniels appeared poised to replace Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, who was hired as the Browns' new head coach. However, more than two days of talks did not produce a deal between the Rams and McDaniels, a surprising development that may have been derailed by the team's conservative fiscal approach, one source said. The talks could be revived but neither side appears optimistic.

McDaniels also is in conversation with other unidentified teams, according to another source.

The Falcons value Musgrave and view him as the potential successor to offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, who is considered a future head-coaching candidate. However, a team source said Falcons coach Mike Smith reluctantly granted permission for Musgrave to interview with the Browns and Vikings, although there was no guarantee Musgrave would accept those jobs even if offered a promotion.

The Rams, however, hold an attraction to quality coordinator candidates because of Bradford, who is expected to be named the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6033335

You're no longer a damn HC and you'll take what the Rams offer you. And I will be pissed if Childress is hired.

Los Pollos Hermanos
01-18-2011, 03:36 PM
He's getting paid for next year by Denver. What he gets paid from his new team probably doesn't matter.

mnchiefsguy
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
He does not have to take anything, considering there are other teams lobbying for his services...he has options for where he wants to work from the looks of it. Besides, I thought you did not want him anyways?

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
He's getting paid for next year by Denver. What he gets paid from his new team probably doesn't matter.

He'll get paid the difference between his next contract and the one he got in Denver. And there are reports that the Rams might have low balled him with an offer, if that's the case, I'll be even more pissed.:banghead: He's a damn coach for a damn team in the NFL making millions.

mnchiefsguy
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
The Rams are not known for having large pocketbooks when it comes to paying coaches are they? For some reason, I got the impression they were among the cheaper clubs when it came to this sort of thing.

DTLB58
01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240428

Rams Fan
He does not have to take anything, considering there are other teams lobbying for his services...he has options for where he wants to work from the looks of it. Besides, I thought you did not want him anyways?

When it turned out to be the only options were either him or Childress, I'd rather have McDaniels. But now there are other options, one of them being the OC for the Vikings and the other being QB coach for the Falcons. If McDaniels goes to Seattle, I'm going to have to kill someone.

Stinger

I thought they bought out his contract.... Maybe I am wrong.

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 03:42 PM
The Rams are not known for having large pocketbooks when it comes to paying coaches are they? For some reason, I got the impression they were among the cheaper clubs when it came to this sort of thing.

Spags makes a bit more then the league average for a first time HC. Spags is making less money in STL then he would be if he was with the 'Skins. But the Rams have a new owner who has deeper pockets then the previous owner.

mnchiefsguy
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
From what I have read, it almost sounds like Bates from Seattle would be better in St. Louis than McDaniels. The Rams have a very appealing job opening since they have Bradford, they should get a good candidate to fill it.

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
From what I have read, it almost sounds like Bates from Seattle would be better in St. Louis than McDaniels. The Rams have a very appealing job opening since they have Bradford, they should get a good candidate to fill it.

It's going to come down to money. The Rams have an owner with deep pockets, but the Seahawks have an owner with even deeper pockets. Carroll makes more then Spags, which would likely mean McDaniels would make more in Seattle then if he went to St. Louis.

doomy3
01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
GFY

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6033335

You're no longer a damn HC and you'll take what the Rams offer you. And I will be pissed if Childress is hired.

LMAO

So, he should take what the Rams offer, even though he is the best option on the market, and Rams fans will be pissed if they hire the second option. Seems to me like McDaniels has the bargaining power here.

I'd say he ends up in Seattle.

mnchiefsguy
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
It's going to come down to money. The Rams have an owner with deep pockets, but the Seahawks have an owner with even deeper pockets. Carroll makes more then Spags, which would likely mean McDaniels would make more in Seattle then if he went to St. Louis.

I would agree with that. If McDaniels is about the money, then it will probably be Seattle. If it is about him getting another shot at being a HC, I would think he would take less money and go to St. Louis. If the offense there is good under his watch, he will get all the credit, in Seattle, not so much.

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
LMAO

So, he should take what the Rams offer, even though he is the best option on the market, and Rams fans will be pissed if they hire the second option. Seems to me like McDaniels has the bargaining power here.

I'd say he ends up in Seattle.

It depends what he views as the better option. If he goes to St. Louis, he wouldn't have to worry about who the QB would be and would get a lot of praise for helping Bradford. If he goes to Seattle, he'd make more money but might have to start from scratch if the Seahawks think that Whitehurst isn't the answer.

doomy3
01-18-2011, 03:58 PM
It depends what he views as the better option. If he goes to St. Louis, he wouldn't have to worry about who the QB would be and would get a lot of praise for helping Bradford. If he goes to Seattle, he'd make more money but might have to start from scratch if the Seahawks think that Whitehurst isn't the answer.

Or he may like Carrol better than Spags. And if it is about the money, and he is their guy, then the Rams should offer more. LOL at "you accept what we offer."

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Another OC candidate the Seahawks are considering is Baltimore's Jim Zorn, a choice that would be popular in Seattle's locker room.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Please.:hail:

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I thought they bought out his contract.... Maybe I am wrong.

I thought they reached a settlement as well... who knows.

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
The Seahawks reportedly offered McDaniels $2.7 Million a year.

Quesadilla Joe
01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
The Rams are morons if they don't match any offer McDaniels gets. He can turn Sam Bradford into a HOF'er.

doomy3
01-18-2011, 04:32 PM
The Rams are morons if they don't match any offer McDaniels gets. He can turn Sam Bradford into a HOF'er.

I'd agree that they are morons if they don't get him. Of course, I think the Chiefs are morons for not going after him too.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 04:32 PM
The Seahawks reportedly offered McDaniels $2.7 Million a year.

That's a nice li'l salary...

:facepalm:

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM

Kroenke has said repeatedly he'll spend money to win. Paying $2 Million for a quality OC might be a bit above league average, but McDaniels wants $2.7 Million. That's a little less then HC money.

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Re-filed to ESPN as we live with the coaching carousel: Rams & McDaniels talks have re-heated again. More optimism now.

http://twitter.com/MORTREPORT

That sounds better.

WebGem
01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
RT @mortreport: Filed by myself and @AdamSchefter to ESPN: McDaniels to Rams as offensive coordinator is now a done deal..

|Zach|
01-18-2011, 05:23 PM
lol.

What is it with message board people and knee jerk emotional reactions?

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 05:24 PM

And I am happy, for now. Unless he somehow trades for Tebow and moves Bradford to RB.

Extra Point
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
McDaniels needs to find reality. He was a cancer at Denver. What will keep it from spreading, in an OC capacity? Fuck him, and not with my dick!

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
And I am happy, for now. Unless he somehow trades for Tebow and moves Bradford to RB.

You wanted nothing to do with him 2 weeks ago.

Are you related to Clayanus?

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
You wanted nothing to do with him 2 weeks ago.

Are you related to Clayanus?

I'd rather have him then Childress. And I'm happy that he's not going to Seattle. I'm just curious how much $ he's making, though.

Rams Fan
01-18-2011, 05:40 PM
My avatar is an early artist's rendering of McFistpump with the Rams.

chefsos
01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
My avatar is an early artist's rendering of McFistpump with the Rams.Okay, that's funny. I lol'd and everything.

Chiefs Rool
01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
we need to act fast and see if we can trade them Cassel for Bradford