PDA

View Full Version : Science How does Ironman Fly?

Mr. Laz
01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Ok, so ignore the obvious "He doesn't dumbass, it's fake" part of the equation. :)

A plane has wings which creates lift when in motion using the Bernoulli effect etc,etc and propulsion from either a spinning propeller or turbine to push the air

A boat also uses similar method to create propulsion with propeller or turbine to push water.

Ironman has no such wings/spinning parts

A rocket burns fuel to create a controlled explosion of sorts for thrust. Newton's 3rd law ...

Ironman's boots and gloves appear to "burn" but have no fuel.

So what is the fantasy physics behind the flight of Ironman?

c'mon comic book nerds, what's the answer. :hmmm:

Bane
01-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Though Stark's wide array of armors have many different abilities, they are alike in that they are made of incredibly strong fictional materials bolstered by a force field. Every suit has a self-contained environment, assorted onboard weapons systems, enhanced strength, flight, and various communications arrays and sensors (such as radar and radio). Furthermore, they typically have multiple power sources including a secondary solar energy collection function in the event that conventional recharging methods are unavailable. Older versions of the armor could also fold virtually flat, allowing Stark to store them in his bullet-proof briefcase.

The defining abilities of Stark's armor are the jets situated in the boots and the repulsors situated in the gloves. The repulsors originated as a hand attachment, but have since become the armor's most important standard armament. They have been referred to as being magnetic,[1] a blast of charged particles,[2] and as a force beam.[3] In the 2008 movie, the repulsors are a form of propulsion and (as hand units) steering jet, though they can be used offensively. A later variation on this is the Pulse Bolts, bolts of concussive energy that actually gain energy the further they have to travel, up to a limit of roughly three football fields (about 329 meters).

Another defining trait is the chest-mounted "uni-beam", also known as the variobeam, and tri-beam (in the 2008 film, Tony commands J.A.R.V.I.S. to divert power to his "chest RT," or chest repulsor transmitter). Originally a spotlight and "proton beam," it has grown to accommodate a number of other weapons, primarily light and force-based.

bowener
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
IDK. Thing in his chest ignites oxygen from air?

Donger
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
He's takes the GPS L1 signal, amplifies it greatly, which kills the birds, which he then uses to hop from one to another, giving the appearance of flight.

Thought this was common knowledge.

orange
It's rockets in his boots and gloves, just like you surmised. What you're missing is the super-compressed fuel tanks under his armor.

(This was 40-year-ago Ironman, though; I haven't kept up)

Rain Man
I remain curious why Super man puts his arms out in front of him to fly. It's not like he needs the aerodynamics. He's Super man. I brought this up once before and someone offered that perhaps he doesn't like to get hit in the face by birds, and I thought that was a reasonable explanation, but if he's Super man it also seems like the birds wouldn't bother him. You'd think he'd just let his arms hang down vertically.

Maybe it's just a p.r. thing. If he lets his arms hang down he looks lazy, whereas it's flashier to point them forward.

orange
01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Four replies in the minute it took me to read your post and write mine; this looks like a killer thread in the making.

big nasty kcnut
01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
The jet engine propel him in the air while the repluser let him stablized his flight and not shoot him straight up to the moon or down to the earth core.

orange
01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Superman's arms went up back when he jumped ("leap tall buildings with a single bound") and they've just stayed there.

big nasty kcnut
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Also superman hands are in front so the winds won't mess up his visions. I know he superman but he still a humanoid so wind does mess up his visions.

Donger
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Also superman hands are in front so the winds won't mess up his visions. I know he superman but he still a humanoid so wind does mess up his visions.

I didn't know that Superman had visions. Were they near or far-sighted visions?

orange
01-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I didn't know that Superman had visions. Were they near or far-sighted visions?

http://www.shinybinary.com/images/art/2020visions.jpg

Psyko Tek
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
special effects

Buck
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Must be gyroscopes.

orange
01-20-2011, 05:59 PM
http://twistedphysics.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c9c1053ef011570eae445970b-800wi

Halfcan
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Though Stark's wide array of armors have many different abilities, they are alike in that they are made of incredibly strong fictional materials bolstered by a force field. Every suit has a self-contained environment, assorted onboard weapons systems, enhanced strength, flight, and various communications arrays and sensors (such as radar and radio). Furthermore, they typically have multiple power sources including a secondary solar energy collection function in the event that conventional recharging methods are unavailable. Older versions of the armor could also fold virtually flat, allowing Stark to store them in his bullet-proof briefcase.

The defining abilities of Stark's armor are the jets situated in the boots and the repulsors situated in the gloves. The repulsors originated as a hand attachment, but have since become the armor's most important standard armament. They have been referred to as being magnetic,[1] a blast of charged particles,[2] and as a force beam.[3] In the 2008 movie, the repulsors are a form of propulsion and (as hand units) steering jet, though they can be used offensively. A later variation on this is the Pulse Bolts, bolts of concussive energy that actually gain energy the further they have to travel, up to a limit of roughly three football fields (about 329 meters).

Another defining trait is the chest-mounted "uni-beam", also known as the variobeam, and tri-beam (in the 2008 film, Tony commands J.A.R.V.I.S. to divert power to his "chest RT," or chest repulsor transmitter). Originally a spotlight and "proton beam," it has grown to accommodate a number of other weapons, primarily light and force-based.

:clap:

Bane will be the next bad guy in the upcoming dark knight rises-you probably already knew that-but just in case.

Hydrae
01-20-2011, 06:13 PM
:clap:

Bane will be the next bad guy in the upcoming dark knight rises-you probably already knew that-but just in case.

I thought they killed Bane when they unhooked him from the Poison Ivy juice. :shrug:

Halfcan
01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought they killed Bane when they unhooked him from the Poison Ivy juice. :shrug:

I think they are just disregaurding that whole lame movie?/

FAX
01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
He pushes the "Take Off" button on his sleeve. Then, he pushes the "Zoom" button.

FAX

bowener
01-20-2011, 06:34 PM
http://twistedphysics.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c9c1053ef011570eae445970b-800wi

Ah, my favorite. Orgasmovision.

bowener
He pushes the "Take Off" button on his sleeve. Then, he pushes the "Zoom" button.

FAX

Don't forget the "rocket ship" sound effects button as well.

KurtCobain

The wind doesn't mess with my visions.

bowener
01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
The wind doesn't mess with my visions.

I find it enhances my LSD induced visions.

Over-Head
01-20-2011, 06:41 PM

FAX
I thought that was Space Ghost?
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/spacgost.htm

bevischief
01-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Lots of beans in his diet...

BigMeatballDave
01-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Why is there gravity in space in Star Wars/Star Trek movies?

Over-Head
01-20-2011, 06:48 PM
So what is the fantasy physics behind the flight of Ironman?

c'mon comic book nerds, what's the answer. :hmmm:

http://www.advancediron.org/forums/index.php?topic=279.0;wap2

And if ya want the whole suit
http://www.ironmanarmory.com/Armors.html

orange
01-20-2011, 06:52 PM

You have no problem with teleporter beams (utterly impossible and frankly ridiculous) but you're hung up on artificial gravity (actually quite possible)? :hmmm:

kysirsoze
01-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Powdered Toast

JD10367
01-20-2011, 06:57 PM
It's Robert Downey Jr., one of the coolest baddest egomaniac drunkards to star in a film, playing Tony Stark, one of the coolest baddest egomaniac drunkards to be a superhero.

The answer is clear. He simply uses his godly mind to bend the laws of physics.

Chuck Norris can also fly. He just doesn't make it common knowledge.

Ebolapox
01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
F*cking magnets: how do they work?!?

http://whenitstrikesme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Cursed-Magnets-e1271625157644.jpg

JD10367
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
F*cking magnets: how do they work?!?

I've never heard of fucking magnets. I suppose if they were electromagnets it might work. Put a magnet ring around your c*ck-and-balls, and the woman wears a magnet ring on a strap-on, and then you quickly reverse the charge on the magnets making them quickly repel and attract.

Ebolapox
01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
I've never heard of fucking magnets. I suppose if they were electromagnets it might work. Put a magnet ring around your c*ck-and-balls, and the woman wears a magnet ring on a strap-on, and then you quickly reverse the charge on the magnets making them quickly repel and attract.

I highly doubt that I would any of the thing :eek:

Wallcrawler
01-20-2011, 07:18 PM
The same mysterious force that keeps little Bruce Banner's pants from tearing to shreds at the waist and falling off when he hulks out is also what allows the Iron Man suit to fly.

Accept what is.

Mr. Laz
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I remain curious why Super man puts his arms out in front of him to fly.
i think this was actually in the early movie or comic.

Sticking his arms out was strictly a way for him to visualize flying and initiate the flight process. It has nothing to do with flying itself, just a mental tool.

Mr. Laz
01-20-2011, 07:54 PM
i didn't think he died ... he just shrunk back down to his original super wimpy body.

KCBOSS1
01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Hand & Feet Arc reactor outlets....small fins on his armour. Iron Man is the coolest most realistic of unrealistic superheroes

01-20-2011, 09:43 PM

:spock:

KCBOSS1
01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Now that is a good question

J Diddy
better yet--how does peter pan fly? I mean they are both as real.

KCBOSS1
How does Luke Breathe when he falls to the bottom antenna of the death star?

J Diddy
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
You have no problem with teleporter beams (utterly impossible and frankly ridiculous) but you're hung up on artificial gravity (actually quite possible)? :hmmm:

I teleport frequently

KCBOSS1
01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
better yet--how does peter pan fly? I mean they are both as real.

This is not about real..... this about the most realistic of the totally unrealistic! Get in the game

J Diddy
01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
This is not about real..... this about the most realistic of the totally unrealistic! Get in the game

What's more realistic than peter pan?

Valiant
01-20-2011, 10:05 PM

In spaceships or planetary mass gravities??

KCBOSS1
01-20-2011, 10:18 PM
What's more realistic than peter pan?

I see your point