PDA

View Full Version : Football Al Saunders Raiders new OC

Jawshco
01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Per Adam Schefter: Oakland hired former Ravens assistant coach Al Saunders as its offensive coordinator.

WebGem
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
they are gonna suck

KCBOSS1
01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
CRAP! They will not suck. They may for a year, but he was rediculous with our squad. When he ran the Trent, Priest, Tony, Willie offense, I loved his offense. A lot of that may have been due to Vermeil, but I think that most of the offense credit was Saunders. I would have been stoked if he would have landed back here.

Jawshco
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
It sucks to see Saunders work for that team. He really hasn't done much since he left the Chiefs, but I still hate to see any any former Chief in the Silver and Black. Well... Maybe,
I'd be okay with LJ being a Faider...

KCBOSS1
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
LJ would be a good Faider.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Well, I'm not too worried about this initially.

If history is any indicator Saunders' offense will sputter around for a full year before maturing.

However, I'm pretty sure Campbell already knows that offense fairly well, because he was with Saunders in 06 and 07 in Washington.

KCBOSS1
01-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Campbell was terrible in that offense though, right? It may not fit his skill set.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
That's one of the offenses that best suits Campbell's skillset. The WCO is a horrible fit for him, and it's one of the reasons why Shanahan booted him.

RealSNR
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
This will be a fantastic experiment to see if a high-flying, lethal, and quick-scoring offense really does put the D in bad positions and thus makes them play worse.

It sounds ridiculous that a defense as poor as the 2001-2005 defense could suffer from success. I DO remember people making this argument with Herm, though. That it wasn't a change in quality defensive coaching, but a switch to a ball-control offense that made the D look so improved.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
And really, the Herm argument was bullshit. Our TOP was less under Herm, we just played far worse opponents in 2006 (Thank you, NFC West, 4-0) than 2005.

Brock
01-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Hopefully, they'll bring in Greg Robinson too.

Chiefaholic
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM

Even crazy a$$ old Al isn't that damn stupid. My hope is that Al's short fuse will cause him to fire Saunders before his offensive scheme is working 100%.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
What's gonna be interesting is if Oakland's OL can hold up. They're abandoning zone blocking and Saunders' offense obviously has to block for a lot of 5 and 7-step drops.

The Chiefs pretty much owned Oakland's OL in the passing game this season. I'm not sure putting more pressure on that unit is a good thing. Be interesting to see if they try and upgrade it.

milkman
01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
As a fan, I like Al Saunders philosophy and approach a hell of a lot better than Jimmy Raye's, who Marty hired over Saunders when Hackett left.

However, the fact is, he succeeded in KC because of the O-Line, and has done jack since, so color me unconcerned.

Deberg_1990
01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
so color me unconcerned.

Color me unconcerned until the Raiders actually obtain a real QB.

FAX
01-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't think this is a very good fit, to be honest.

Saunders' offense is pretty complex. There are about 10,000 different plays when you include the various formations, personnel groupings, motions, and line calls. There is no way a Raider team will be capable of remembering everything and frustration will grow over time culminating in locker room bloody knifings, ass cappings, and voluminous, obscene tweetings which will ultimately force the NFL to padlock their stadium and the Federal Government to shut down the franchise in the interest of public safety. Al will sue, of course, but it will be too late.

FAX

DTLB58
01-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Two things:
One, This article states Kevin Ross is on the Raiders staff as a DB coach. Is that the former Great Chief Kevin Ross?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dd1e4b/article/ravens-consultant-saunders-hired-to-run-raiders-offense?module=HP_headlines

Two, This says Hue is still going to call plays on gameday. :eek:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

guns blazing
01-20-2011, 11:32 PM

I'd prefer they bring in Gunther.

Anyways, I'm sad to see this because from what I've read and from my views on what he did in KC, Saunders is a really good OC. Hope I'm wrong but I don't like this.

Micjones
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
This does not make me happy.

rtmike
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm not surprised. Crazy Al was trying to hire Saunders for one of the many head coaching gigs while he was still with us I remember.

Chiefs Rool
01-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Color me unconcerned until the Raiders actually obtain a real QB.

they swept us, just sayin...

DaWolf
01-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Meh. I've reached a point where I'm less concerned with what other teams do and more concerned with what the Chiefs do...

BossChief
01-21-2011, 12:17 AM
They have some weapons that should be more effective with all the pre snap shifts and whatnot that Saunders is sure to install.

Ugly Duck
01-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Looks like the Raider offense will be more of a collaborative effort than a straight-up Saunders offense: "Jackson will call plays on offense, so Saunders will take a backseat on game days. He'll have a bigger role on the practice field and in the Raiders' meeting rooms." Heard rumors that Saunders wants to bring in assistants Terry Shea & Mike Solari.

Hammock Parties
01-21-2011, 12:56 AM
He'll have a bigger role on the practice field and in the Raiders' meeting rooms."

Translation: Al, fix my goddamn WRs.

threebag
01-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Fuck LJ

Phobia
01-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Why couldn't they just hire Jimmy Raye?

Ugly Duck
01-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Is Saunders the kinda guy that could get along with Ochoquatro if he signs with Oakland?

Bewbies
01-21-2011, 01:40 AM
What's McFadden look like in that kind of offense?

Hammock Parties
01-21-2011, 02:18 AM
aw shit... I wanted Al as our headcoach when vermeil left...

Bambi
01-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Whens the season start?

Can't wait for the Chiefs to play some real teams.

KurtCobain
01-21-2011, 02:48 AM
Is Saunders the kinda guy that could get along with Ochoquatro if he signs with Oakland?

Probably. Don't know what you'd do with that broken horse, though.

R8RFAN
01-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Now, Ochocinco is Tweeting about wanting to be reunited with Oakland Raiders (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/oak/) coach Hue Jackson, the former Bengals receivers coach.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110121_marvin_lewis_ochocinco_clashing

Extra Point
01-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I agree with the the "Translation: Fix my receivers" and "I wanted Saunders to be our HC after Vermiel left" posts.

I don't think there's enough gas left in the tank for fixing receivers. The way the Raiders could run the offense in the AFCW, blocking was the effective key. Way too effective.

Jackson won't accept the expanded menu, but will take the specials, targeted against the opponent du jour.

Carl Peterson hated Saunders, and it was a no-win for him here.

Good luck, Mr. Saunders. Except when your team plays the Chiefs. lol

FAX
01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I wouldn't be overly concerned, guys. This isn't a great fit.

The Raiders continue to be an incredibly dysfunctional football franchise and Saunders won't even be calling plays. This is like giving Einstein a job teaching 2nd grade math.

Frankly, the Chiefs should be focusing on how to defeat the top tier teams in the league year in and year out. If we do that, we'll perform well in our division.

FAX

Pushead2
01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
can we worry about our own OC search?

J Diddy
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't be overly concerned, guys. This isn't a great fit.

The Raiders continue to be an incredibly dysfunctional football franchise and Saunders won't even be calling plays. This is like giving Einstein a job teaching 2nd grade math.

Frankly, the Chiefs should be focusing on how to defeat the top tier teams in the league year in and year out. If we do that, we'll perform well in our division.

FAX

Agreed. I always took Saunders to be a little ego maniac. Don't see how that'll mesh, but eh.

Bill Lundberg
01-21-2011, 08:09 AM
What's McFadden look like in that kind of offense?

He looks like my keeper runningback after Adrian Peterson's shenanigans late in the year.

DTLB58
01-21-2011, 09:47 AM

There's not much to "worry about" until one is named. With all the brass in Orlando I don't think a decision is going to be made before Monday.

burt
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Al Saunders is one of the few "Chiefs" that I have had the pleasure to meet. He is a very nice gentleman, and I will wish him well. Just not too well..........

Chiefnj2
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Heard rumors that Saunders wants to bring in assistants Terry Shea & Mike Solari.

Those would be good moves.

If I were to guess, the O is going to operate a bit like KC's offense during the Vermeil years. It was a collaborative effort where Solari designed run plays, Saunders the passing attack, and Vermeil had a lot of input.

beach tribe
01-21-2011, 10:21 AM
As a fan, I like Al Saunders philosophy and approach a hell of a lot better than Jimmy Raye's, who Marty hired over Saunders when Hackett left.

However, the fact is, he succeeded in KC because of the O-Line, and has done jack since, so color me unconcerned.

Yep. Trent green as much as I love him, owes everything to that O-line. Not saying he wasn't a great QB. He was, but that line gave him forever and a day to find the open man.

HonestChieffan
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
At least they have an OC.

B_Ambuehl
01-21-2011, 11:36 AM
They'll be running the same offense they ran last year. Hugh Jackson is still headcoach/playcaller. Him and Saunders previously worked together in Baltimore.

They're already the #6 scoring O so personnel is gonna have much more of an impact than coaches. If that football team had any pass protection whatsoever they would be about unstoppable. Jason Campbell did a pretty good job considering he was running for his life every play.

King_Chief_Fan
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM

we don't need no stinking OC.....our HC will be the OC even if another OC is named:eek:

crossbow
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Rep to you for this one. It is priceless.:clap:

the Talking Can
01-21-2011, 04:19 PM
more likely than not it's a good hire

i've got a huge fond spot for Al....

Pasta Little Brioni
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
They'll be running the same offense they ran last year. Hugh Jackson is still headcoach/playcaller. Him and Saunders previously worked together in Baltimore.

They're already the #6 scoring O so personnel is gonna have much more of an impact than coaches. If that football team had any pass protection whatsoever they would be about unstoppable. Jason Campbell did a pretty good job considering he was running for his life every play.

:LOL: Jason Campbell chucking the ball to Heyward-Bust, Lou Murphy, and Chaz Shillens is suuuuure frightening to opposing defenses.

FAX
01-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a question for you guys.

I know this will never happen because they'll just stuff him, prop him up, and use strings to make his mouth move while a pre-recorded tape does the talking ... however, if Al should pass away and move on to the Great Outhouse In The Sky, who would take over the Raiders? He's the "General Partner" of some sort of group, but essentially, he's the GM, President, CEO, Final Decision Maker, and Grand Poobah of the Poop People. It's not like some franchises where the business simply passes on to other, younger family members, so who takes over? Anybody know?

FAX

GoChiefsTinyPenis
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
:LOL: Jason Campbell chucking the ball to Heyward-Bust, Lou Murphy, and Chaz Shillens is suuuuure frightening to opposing defenses.

Yeah, Brandon Flowers ain't scured of Jacoby Ford!

Wait...

RNR
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I have a question for you guys.

I know this will never happen because they'll just stuff him, prop him up, and use strings to make his mouth move while a pre-recorded tape does the talking ... however, if Al should pass away and move on to the Great Outhouse In The Sky, who would take over the Raiders? He's the "General Partner" of some sort of group, but essentially, he's the GM, President, CEO, Final Decision Maker, and Grand Poobah of the Poop People. It's not like some franchises where the business simply passes on to other, younger family members, so who takes over? Anybody know?

FAX

He has a son but from what I have read because of the inheritance tax he cannot afford to keep the team. Al is not filty rich unlike the rest of the billion dollar pig fuckers who own NFL teams~

Ugly Duck
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
He has a son but from what I have read because of the inheritance tax he cannot afford to keep the team. Al is not filty rich unlike the rest of the billion dollar pig ****ers who own NFL teams~

ESPN - Should the family of Al Davis want to keep the Raiders in the family, their way ought to be eased a bit by the fact that Davis only owns approximately 40 percent of the team despite exercising complete autonomy over it. Assuming the Raiders' current valuation of $676 million, Davis' share would be worth $270 million. Estate taxes, then, would be around $124 million; but over the permitted 14-year period, that amounts to an annual tax payment of about $8.8 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2407875

FAX
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
ESPN - Should the family of Al Davis want to keep the Raiders in the family, their way ought to be eased a bit by the fact that Davis only owns approximately 40 percent of the team despite exercising complete autonomy over it. Assuming the Raiders' current valuation of $676 million, Davis' share would be worth $270 million. Estate taxes, then, would be around $124 million; but over the permitted 14-year period, that amounts to an annual tax payment of about $8.8 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2407875

Al seems to invest a great deal in attorneys, so he probably has this all figured out already, but if it is his intent that his share goes to his family, an irrevocable trust might work ... to help reduce the death tax, that is.

Who would run the franchise, though? Has there been any discussion (or, since we're talking Raiders here ... any hoots and grunts and guttural noises) as to who would take over football operations?

FAX

R8RFAN
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Probably Amy Trask

Hammock Parties
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM

And everyone one of those guys would start in Kansas City.

The Raiders have talent at WR, they just need some experience.

pr_capone
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Murphy would start. I wouldn't want Bey anywhere near this team.

salame
01-21-2011, 08:56 PM

he forgot Jacoby Ford

Mr. Laz
01-21-2011, 09:14 PM
i've got a huge fond spot for Al....
your anus? :hump:

NTTIAWWT

o:-)