PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Dog owners...some advice please

Gracie Dean
01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
We have our boxer who is almost 8 months. HE is very friendly and lovable and harmless. Our daughter and fiance has this dinky little chiwawa/terrier mix and brings him to our house when they visit which is about 3 times a week.

Our boxer loves this little puppy but he is so big and happy that we are afraid that he will hurt the little guy with his play so we usually end up putting the boxer in his room. We don't think it is fair because Angus isn't mean, he just plays and plays. This is his house, but when they put their little guy in his travel cage, he cries very loudly and if he gets really angry he poops in his cage just because he is pissed. (personally, I wouldn't have the little dog, but that is not my call)

There has got to be a better way to let them play together without worry of the little dog getting hurt.

Any advice? Angus is like 4 times bigger than their little dinky guy and probably weighs 60 lbs more.

Buehler445
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
My blue heeler plays really really well with a 8 week old Beagle. Let him out. He'll know if he hurts the little shit factory.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
01-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Antifreeze

ModSocks
01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
let 'em play. They're dogs. Obviously supervise them. Eventually your dog will get bored with him anyway.

Rooster
01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
We have a boxer that weighs about 70lbs with the same temperment as yours it sounds like. He plays fine with little dogs. Usually, in the beginning, the excitement of a playmate is pretty crazy but he calms down.

If they are both good natured and not fighting I personally wouldn't worry about it much. The little dog is tougher than you think and will let you know if it feels overwhelmed.

Just my 2 cents.

Lonewolf Ed
01-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, one thing that could happen is when you put your dog in a room and he hears everything going on, he could start to resent them coming over. You might try letting them meet each other and see what happens, but stay close in case you need to rescue the little dog. Maybe even hold the small dog and let yours come over and sniff it, so they can get introduced safely. It might work out fine, too. I have seen a video on YouTube of a rottweiler lying on his back while a chihuahua romps around on his neck. The rott rolled on his side and gently bit the chihuahua's legs, so he knew how not to hurt the tiny thing.

Sofa King
01-21-2011, 03:11 PM
let 'em play. They're dogs. Obviously supervise them. Eventually your dog will get bored with him anyway.

this

Pioli Zombie
01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Eat him.

Warrior5
01-21-2011, 03:13 PM

second this. They'll figure it out.

Donger
01-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Tell your daughter to leave her dog at home.

kstater
01-21-2011, 03:22 PM

That would likely involve logic.

seclark
01-21-2011, 03:24 PM

see...this is actually very good advice. couple years ago, my cousin shows up at our house and opens her car door up and out jumps her little french bulldog. all at once, our american bulldog pounces and chomps down on pee-air(sp? idgaf!). cousin is all pissed off, saying my dog's dangerous and has probably ruined pee-airs chances of being an award winning show dog and whatnot. she said i needed to either put my dog down, or keep it contained. wtf for??? i never invited her to bring her little pussy dog to our house in the first place.

imo, you don't take your f@ckin pets to someone elses house for a visit.
sec

Gracie Dean
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I would prefer her to leave the dog at home but apparently they take the little thing everywhere with them. We don't want them to not come over because of the dog

I like the thought that eventually they will play well together and maybe if we keep easing them together, they will be friends. My dog loves the dog and isn't mean at all they just dont' know when to stop and Angus is so big, if he stepped on the foot or leg of the dinky thing, it might break ...that is our concern...

kcfanXIII
01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Dogs will be dogs. Let them be around each other but put your foot down. Make your boxer chill out and lay down. DON'T pick thelittle shitbox up. It makes the dog feel superior and higher in the pecking order. It will lead to problems.

It will take some effort but once the two dogs get in the habit of being chilled out, you will be fine.

Just Passin' By
I would prefer her to leave the dog at home but apparently they take the little thing everywhere with them. We don't want them to not come over because of the dog

I like the thought that eventually they will play well together and maybe if we keep easing them together, they will be friends. My dog loves the dog and isn't mean at all they just dont' know when to stop and Angus is so big, if he stepped on the foot or leg of the dinky thing, it might break ...that is our concern...

I've had 180+ pound dogs playing with dogs that were under 20 pounds. They usually learn the boundaries of play after a few yelps and/or growls.

Frazod
see...this is actually very good advice. couple years ago, my cousin shows up at our house and opens her car door up and out jumps her little french bulldog. all at once, our american bulldog pounces and chomps down on pee-air(sp? idgaf!). cousin is all pissed off, saying my dog's dangerous and has probably ruined pee-airs chances of being an award winning show dog and whatnot. she said i needed to either put my dog down, or keep it contained. wtf for??? i never invited her to bring her little pussy dog to our house in the first place.

imo, you don't take your f@ckin pets to someone elses house for a visit.
sec

THIS. I've never understood people who do this. I guess if you know in advance that it's okay, sure, but to just assume I want some strange fucking animal in my house? Fuck you, get out.

Another "pet" peeve - people who invite you to their house and then sit by and watch their animals mug the shit out of you. I was visiting a friend in New York once and we were supposed to spend the night, but he had this big stupid hyper dog that wouldn't leave us alone, and when I said something about it he looked at me like I was nuts. In the meantime, the dog has left bloody scratches on my wife and ripped a hole in my shirt pawing at us (not trying to hurt us, just BIG AND FUCKING STUPID) but apparently that's just the norm there. We made up a lame excuse and left - spent the night in a hotel instead.

Control your kids, control your pets.

morphius
01-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Have them look into some dog armor:

http://weeklygeekshow.com/images/pugarmor.jpg

morphius
was almost shocked that such a thing was out there, almost.

kcfanXIII
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
i take my dog with me as long as i know its ok. I understand not everyone wants my dog there. Using the same logic keep your kids at home when you visit. I dont want their germs getting all over my stuff.

Lzen
01-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Why do people always put human emotions on dogs? I don't really think a dog is capable of getting pissed. They act on instinct, not emotion. The little dog probably needs to be trained (more likely the owner needs to be trained). Sounds like he is dominant over his owners. Or perhaps he has separation anxiety issues.

Try this.
We have a boxer that weighs about 70lbs with the same temperment as yours it sounds like. He plays fine with little dogs. Usually, in the beginning, the excitement of a playmate is pretty crazy but he calms down.

If they are both good natured and not fighting I personally wouldn't worry about it much. The little dog is tougher than you think and will let you know if it feels overwhelmed.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumb:

My boxer used to want to play (and usually play rough - you know boxers) with my in laws rat terrier. When the little rat terrier had had enough, he let my boxer know with a yelp or a snap. Not an over aggressive fighting bite. Just a quick snap that dogs do to let others know they have had enough. But overall, they got along fine.

Radar Chief
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Dogs will be dogs. Let them be around each other but put your foot down. Make your boxer chill out and lay down. DON'T pick thelittle shitbox up. It makes the dog feel superior and higher in the pecking order. It will lead to problems.

It will take some effort but once the two dogs get in the habit of being chilled out, you will be fine.

This is solid advice also.
Never introduce a small dog to a big dog by holding it up and shoving towards the big dog. As far as the big dog knows you’re feeding it a treat.
Set the little fella on the ground, let them sniff each others butts and everything will usually be fine.

38yrsfan
01-21-2011, 04:45 PM
I agree with those that feel the animal needs to be left at home but since that might cause a problem with her not coming to visit as often.

Let them play and see what happens. Leave it up to them to "protect" their dog. If something satisfactory isn't happening then I'd try a real serious discussion explaining that your dog is young, won't intentionally hurt the other but it could accidentally happen ..... that confining him to a room is not acceptable for many reasons, primarily - this is his house,etc. Leave the decision about what they do with their dog to them but don't restrict your own, it isn't good for him at all if you are raising him to be an inhouse companion.

IMHO

Phobia
01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
If something happens to the little dog you could always borrow Roger Ebert's chin to help patch him up.

bevischief
01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Cage match!

I am joking.

Let them play if still a issue you visit them instead.

gman1220
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Their are two good options for this huge proble u fellors are havin hear are the options first A followed by B

A. Tell them to play nice
B buy one of them shock collers put it on the little dog so when the big dog plays to rough with the big dog press the zapper and they both get shocked trust me this works and is fairly entertaining to watch

if ya have any questions just let me know i should be around

Bugeater
01-21-2011, 05:21 PM

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

bevischief
01-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Sounds like my grandparents...

Phobia
01-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Hi darlin, we're going to try something new with the dogs next time you're over. We're just going to let them play together. If it doesn't work out then I'm afraid you're going to have to come pick up our boxer and take him to your house when you come over and bring your yappy ankle-biter....

Oh, four trips? Easier to just leave your ankle-biter home? You don't say? Well, okay, if you insist sweetie. See you soon.

Gracie Dean
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
seriously, they take that thing with them everywhere. I guess it is cute, but I wouldn't have a dog that I had to take with me. "he gets seperation anxiety" is what the kids say.

I will take my big lug of a dog anytime. He is almost always content whether it be on the couch beside me, or in his pen in his room.

I don't know why my kid is so attached to her little dog but that is the way it is. I just want the dogs to get along so that it is not such an ordeal when visiting.

Visiting my kid is not really an option she is living in a sort of dorm room type living. There are 3 bedrooms each with locks but the 3 roomates share a kitchen and a small living space. She doesn't really like the roommates so she stays a lot in her room which is why she comes here a lot.

Gracie Dean
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi darlin, we're going to try something new with the dogs next time you're over. We're just going to let them play together. If it doesn't work out then I'm afraid you're going to have to come pick up our boxer and take him to your house when you come over and bring your yappy ankle-biter....

Oh, four trips? Easier to just leave your ankle-biter home? You don't say? Well, okay, if you insist sweetie. See you soon.

bwahaha love it!!!

Pioli Zombie
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Michael Vick them.

Bugeater
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
seriously, they take that thing with them everywhere. I guess it is cute, but I wouldn't have a dog that I had to take with me. "he gets seperation anxiety" is what the kids say
As her parent, it's your job to tell her how rude, inconsiderate and downright stupid it is for her to drag a fucking dog everywhere she goes. If someone brought some yappy ankle biter into my house my dog would kill the thing without hesitation.

bevischief
01-21-2011, 06:33 PM
My youngest would own him and would not place another dog in that place.

HonestChieffan
01-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Two worthless breeds. Let them fight it out.

Phobia
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
bwahaha love it!!!

Yeah - you're the mom. You should have mastered some passive-aggressive technique like that by now. Do whatever you got to do in order to make her think it's her brilliant idea to start leaving her dog at home. They can't take it everywhere. If it has anxiety, cure it. It's not going to be cured toting it to wal-mart and everywhere else.

Phobia
01-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks for your productive contribution to the thread.

Bill Lundberg
01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
My mother in law had a 4 lb Maltese. Our boxer rough housed it a bit just playing. Eventually they got along swimmingly as you can see below.

BTW - The maltese is a gay homosexual. NTTAWWT

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PsfWGoWDrU0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g3ISJ0zqYic" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Phobia
01-21-2011, 10:10 PM
The boxer is the homosexual plus he catches.

Lzen
01-21-2011, 10:43 PM

Worthless? Boxers are the best dogs I've ever owned. You know not of which you speak.

Lzen
01-21-2011, 10:48 PM
My mother in law had a 4 lb Maltese. Our boxer rough housed it a bit just playing. Eventually they got along swimmingly as you can see below.

BTW - The maltese is a gay homosexual. NTTAWWT

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PsfWGoWDrU0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g3ISJ0zqYic" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

You do realize that the Maltese is trying to dominate the boxer? And did he lift his leg at the end of the first vid to piss on the boxer? I would think that would be very bad. That boxer may just decide he's had enough an fuck up that little ankle biter. But maybe your dog is extremely mild mannered. I know mine would have none of that.

kcfanXIII
01-22-2011, 12:23 AM
I trust my dog around smaller dogs more then larger ones. He is extremely patient with puppies, small dogs and cats. I've seen little dogs try to get an attitude with him and he basically lays on them till they chill out.

Kennels prevent seperation anxiety distruction. But since its a little dog it will prob bark and piss the roommates off so if she really doesn't like them that's a plus.

CaliforniaChief
01-22-2011, 12:32 AM
THIS. I've never understood people who do this. I guess if you know in advance that it's okay, sure, but to just assume I want some strange fucking animal in my house? Fuck you, get out.

This.
This.
As her parent, it's your job to tell her how rude, inconsiderate and downright stupid it is for her to drag a fucking dog everywhere she goes. If someone brought some yappy ankle biter into my house my dog would kill the thing without hesitation.
And this.

I'm not suggesting you go to the Michael Vick playbook but just wow.

The pussification of this country continues. The dog has separation anxiety? BFD. It sounds like it needs to be told that in normal homes, animals don't control the agenda. P-E-O-P-L-E do.

Just tell your daughter not to bring the dog over. It's your house, your rules. And if she drops some crap about not coming over, particularly considering what you're dealing with right now health-wise, then she needs a serious come to Jesus conversation.

For the life of me I cannot figure out the mentality that grips people about their animals. There's a lot of personal childhood scars being projected onto animals and I just don't get it.

I love my dog. Fun to play with, great companion, fun for the kids, but a DOG.

Bill Lundberg
01-22-2011, 08:34 AM
You do realize that the Maltese is trying to dominate the boxer? And did he lift his leg at the end of the first vid to piss on the boxer? I would think that would be very bad. That boxer may just decide he's had enough an **** up that little ankle biter. But maybe your dog is extremely mild mannered. I know mine would have none of that.

Yes, I realize all of that. There was no pissing, he's not into golden showers. Chas is pretty laid back when it comes to little dogs, he's definitely not the same around larger dogs. He is usually the dominant dog when he's around other dogs his size. Doesn't much matter now, the little dog had an unfortunate incident in the horse barn and has moved on to the big fire hydrant in the sky.

Rasputin
01-22-2011, 08:45 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HD7H6jOUjOE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HD7H6jOUjOE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Take it from Bob

andoman
01-22-2011, 08:58 AM
We have three dogs: Great Dane, Australian Cattle Dog and a 3 legged Rat Terrier. The Dane and ACD both play well with the little guy. An occasional nip if the play gets too rough. The bigger two will sometimes lay down and let the little guy trounce all over them. Ours each have a bed in the living room and will go lay on it when commanded.

Like most have said on here, I'd let them play supervised.

Lzen
01-22-2011, 10:01 PM
We have three dogs: Great Dane, Australian Cattle Dog and a 3 legged Rat Terrier. The Dane and ACD both play well with the little guy. An occasional nip if the play gets too rough. The bigger two will sometimes lay down and let the little guy trounce all over them. Ours each have a bed in the living room and will go lay on it when commanded.

Like most have said on here, I'd let them play supervised.

Which one is not like the others?

ROFL