PDA

View Full Version : Life Penny Auctions

Bwana
01-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Do any of you get involved in "Penny *Snicker* Auctions?") I was told about Wavee https://www.wavee.com/ and checked it out. I was able to get a nice Canon point and shoot Camera, along with a nice Nikon point and shoot camera for an "ok price." It did same me some money but....

As a whole, the joint is a ripoff and a waste of time IMHO. For the time it took to bid and obtain the two items, it was NOT worth my time. Between the two camera's, I must have had to spend 11 total hours on-line. All it takes to drag things out, is one other person that wants the item, and you're horsed. Top that off with a projected March 9th ship date and it's messed up. They failed to reveal the shipping details, or I never would have wasted my time.

Another outfit that does this is Quibids http://www.quibids.com/

I was just curious if anyone else had done this and what the results were. I for one, will never do it again and will hunt other places on-line, or just hit Best Buy.

Pants
01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
I checked Quibids out. I was never going to bid there, but I just had to admire the genius behind a website like that. The people behind it are making some serious bank.

I think the only real strategy is to watch the website for a few days, learn the website reserve prices (at what point do they start letting shit go) and invest around $600 (1000 bids) into something like a big screen TV.

Saulbadguy
01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
It's like a really bad raffle with really bad odds.

ArrowheadHawk
01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
That looks like it could take forever.

Dunit35
01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
We saw commercials for beezit or whatever. So we looked and it seemed like a huge hassle. Glad we were right.

Bwana
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I checked Quibids out. I was never going to bid there, but I just had to admire the genius behind a website like that. The people behind it are making some serious bank.

I think the only real strategy is to watch the website for a few days, learn the website reserve prices (at what point do they start letting shit go) and invest around $600 (1000 bids) into something like a big screen TV.

There you have it. I wish I had thought of that idea.

I called up Wavee today to gravel their ass about the shipping time. I ended up talking to some gal named LaQuisha, who didn't know Jack about the company. I just gave up and filed it away under, it is, what it is.

Bwana
01-25-2011, 03:40 PM
It's like a really bad raffle with really bad odds.

Yep, it's a hell of a lot like playing the lottery. There are some deals to be had, but most of the time, you end up with at best, an ok deal ,if not outright boned. I saved around $120 between the two camera's, but was it worth 11 hours of my time? No only no, but HELL NO!

DTLB58
01-25-2011, 04:13 PM
I signed up on Wavee, just made a username and password, then they wanted my CC info I assumed in case I bought something it was on record. Well, to my surprise it automatically charged (gave me) $75 of credit tokens towards bidding on their site!

I emailed customer service and haven't heard a thing. I don't think the site is very user friendly myself, but my college age son got right on and figured things out and started bidding right away but got frustrated with it.

I would think the best chance for winning something would be in the middle of the night if someone would have the time then maybe less people would be up to take the time.

Bwana
01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
I would think the best chance for winning something would be in the middle of the night if someone would have the time then maybe less people would be up to take the time.

You would think, but they run 99% crap at night. One thing I did notice, is the fact that your odds are much better at getting a deal, if there are two of the same product running at the same time and you bid on the 2nd item. The first one ALWAYS seems to ring the bell. Good luck on them returning your email. I would give them a call at 1-800 879-9283. If you get LaQuisha, tell her Bwana sends his best. :evil:

DTLB58
01-25-2011, 05:12 PM
You would think, but they run 99% crap at night. One thing I did notice, is the fact that your odds are much better at getting a deal, if there are two of the same product running at the same time and you bid on the 2nd item. The first one ALWAYS seems to ring the bell. Good luck on them returning your email. I would give them a call at 1-800 879-9283. If you get LaQuisha, tell her Bwana sends his best. :evil:

:clap: Will do :D

threebag
01-25-2011, 05:28 PM
I bid and bid and bid never won always got screwed I think I bid off a hundred bucks

Bwana
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I bid and bid and bid never won always got screwed I think I bid off a hundred bucks

Yeah, I ran into some douche that bid me up on one of the camera's and decided to even the score last night. I was totally burned out on the whole auction CF, so I used my last 400 credits to piss the dickweed off.

I ran him up until he was out of credits and I stopped bidding. I just wish you could send the other bidders notes, or PM's. I'm sure this clown would have been burning me several. :D I may have only been there a week, but I would guess there are a few people that won't forget me for along time.

I bid like a bull in a china shop.

Pants
01-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Well, yeah, I saw a TV get sold for like $223 (that was actually worth like $2,500 retail) on quibids - that's 22,300 bids. So you have to start bidding really late and you have to really invest a serious sum of money into a TV and still be ready to lose that money. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't even start messing around with a major item unless I had like 1000 bids in my pocket.

Now think about it: 22,000 bids at $0.60 means the website actually made around $13,000 on that TV + whatever it sold for. Subtract the cost of the item, the bandwidth and other expenses and the website is probably looking at around $8000 of pure profit. Genius.

kysirsoze
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM
My theory on the big ticket items is you should go in prepared to pay full price for the item. That way, if you lose out on the auction, you can apply your bids spent to the price of the item. (At least Quibids allows you to do that.) Then if you win it you could get a great deal. If you don't you get what you wanted anyway.

kysirsoze
01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
BTW, on smaller stuff like golfballs and jump drives and such, you can pretty consistently get good deals on those if you bid wisely.

Over-Head
01-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Theres a new one been advertised on tv as of late, I keep forgetting to jot it down.
Same type of thing, better than ebay, bla bla bla

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Give your money to a crack addict. It would be better spent.

Bwana
01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Give your money to a crack addict. It would be better spent.

I'll tell you what, after going through the penny auction bullshit, I would have to agree. Granted, I saved some money, but it's not worth the time and the pain in the ass.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I'll tell you what, after going through the penny auction bullshit, I would have to agree. Granted, I saved some money, but it's not worth the time and the pain in the ass.

And there's no guarantee that your bids, which you (obviously) pay for, will get you anything.

Most of the time you save just a few percent.

FWIW, I've wondered if those sites employ people to falsely keep those auctions alive, just to ensure that more bids get through.

Bwana
01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
And there's no guarantee that your bids, which you (obviously) pay for, will get you anything.

Most of the time you save just a few percent.

FWIW, I've wondered if those sites employ people to falsely keep those auctions alive, just to ensure that more bids get through.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are "shill bids" going on at all.