PDA

View Full Version : Football Goodell: Pay me $1 if work stoppage

The Franchise
01-26-2011, 12:21 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-Commissioner-Roger-Goodell-says-he-will-cut-his-salary-to-one-dollar-if-work-stoppage-012611

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will cut his salary to $1 if there is a work stoppage after the collective bargaining agreement expires in March.

Goodell, who makes about $10 million a year including bonuses, said in a memo to his staff Wednesday that chief negotiator Jeff Pash will do the same. Pash makes nearly $5 million a year.

Goodell also has asked the league's compensation committee to delay any bonus payments to him until after a deal is reached with the NFL Players Association.

"Let me emphasize that we are fully committed to doing everything possible to reach a new collective bargaining agreement without any disruption to our business," Goodell said. "The entire senior leadership team stands with me in its commitment to resolving the CBA issues with the player's union.

"While several other executives have also volunteered to make additional reductions to their compensation, I have asked them not to take that step at this time as we continue our negotiating efforts."

NFL owners opted out of the agreement in 2008.

Union chief DeMaurice Smith has predicted the league will lock out the players after the March 4 expiration of the contract with the league.

DonTellMeShowMe
01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
wish Cassel would say the same about his game

Dayze
01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
hope he can manage to put food on the table.

Brock
01-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Goodness, he may have to lay off one of his valets.

ModSocks
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
hope he can manage to put food on the table.

I think we should all get together and do a food drive to aid him and his family

DJ's left nut
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Really? The guy has offered up a $10 million paycut and none of you are the least bit impressed?

That's a pretty bold step and a spectacular showing of good faith by Goodell, IMO. It may be largely symbolic (who knows if his compensation package even allows him to take the cut), but it's certainly meaningful.

If Cassel offered to give back his entire salary if the Chiefs missed the playoffs, that'd be a pretty impressive move on his part. I know he wouldn't starve to death on account of it, but that's not chump change he's giving back.

Chiefs Rool
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
I bet he would back out of that if it did happen.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Really? The guy has offered up a $10 million paycut and none of you are the least bit impressed?

That's a pretty bold step and a spectacular showing of good faith by Goodell, IMO. It may be largely symbolic (who knows if his compensation package even allows him to take the cut), but it's certainly meaningful.

If Cassel offered to give back his entire salary if the Chiefs missed the playoffs, that'd be a pretty impressive move on his part. I know he wouldn't starve to death on account of it, but that's not chump change he's giving back.

Why be impressed? As soon as an agreement is reached, whenever it is, he'll be right back at 10 mil plus.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Why be impressed? As soon as an agreement is reached, whenever it is, he'll be right back at 10 mil plus.

So?

The NFL is a freakin' cash cow and he's the top official in the league.

Should he work for minimum wage? Why should he not get a salary commensurate with the resonsibility of running a multi-billion dollar industry?

The NFL's owners, (i.e. his employers) could've given $8 million to someone else and had them run the league, I know I'd do it for a hell of a lot less than that. They chose not to - why should I begrudge him for it?

Rausch
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
If there's no football come fall what would be the point of paying the man?...

Chiefnj2
01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
So?

The NFL is a freakin' cash cow and he's the top official in the league.

Should he work for minimum wage? Why should he not get a salary commensurate with the resonsibility of running a multi-billion dollar industry?

The NFL's owners, (i.e. his employers) could've given $8 million to someone else and had them run the league, I know I'd do it for a hell of a lot less than that. They chose not to - why should I begrudge him for it?

You miss the point. You thought it was a big deal that he will accept $1 when their is a stoppage. To me, big deal. He made 10 mil this past year and will make another 10 as soon as the stoppage is over. It's not a big sacrifice, it's just a PR ploy.

Demonpenz
01-26-2011, 12:53 PM
pffft a real man would promise to watch Shawn Marion's jump shot for an hour

DJ's left nut
01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
You miss the point. You thought it was a big deal that he will accept $1 when their is a stoppage. To me, big deal. He made 10 mil this past year and will make another 10 as soon as the stoppage is over. It's not a big sacrifice, it's just a PR ploy.

Fair point - if he's just going to sacrifice his salary for as long as there's a work stoppage, it's less impressive than if he would pledge to forego his salary for the season in the event of a stoppage.

However, even under the former scenario, if there's a work stoppage of 6 weeks, he's out over a million bucks. And with this being the offseason, that kind of stoppage isn't at all out of the question (because there's nothing going on right now anyway). So it's not exactly a hollow promise.

I'm not going to erect a statue for him or anything, but it's a meaningful gesture from the league's commissioner and it makes it apparent that he's putting something of his own on the line here. He's actually putting his own cash in the kitty. You say he's only going to lose it for the duration of the stoppage, but doesn't that mean he's got a hell of an incentive to ensure something gets done?

C'mon now, some credit is earned there, IMO.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
pffft a real man would promise to watch Shawn Marion's jump shot for an hour

Or Charles Barkley's tee shot.

Or Margaret Thatcher's reverse cowgirl.

That's asking a bit much, don't you think?

Brock
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I guess I'd be more impressed if 32 team owners said they'd stop accepting money if they lock the players out.

penguinz
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Or Charles Barkley's tee shot.

Or Margaret Thatcher's reverse cowgirl.

That's asking a bit much, don't you think?You should be banned for that mental image. It is lunch time and some people are trying to eat.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I guess I'd be more impressed if 32 team owners said they'd stop accepting money if they lock the players out.

Isn't that exactly what they're saying?

If they lock the players out, the money spigot is dry. They aren't going to get that television revenue if there are no games played. They aren't getting that gate draw or the revenue off $10 beers when Arrowhead is empty on Sunday.

The de facto result of a lockout is exactly what you're suggesting. In fact, there are probably a bunch of contracts they're locked into that they'd have to still pay out on if they force a lockout (as the lockout was a voluntary act). If they voluntarily make the performance of contracts impossible, they aren't excused from them. There are some vendors, sub-contractors, etc... that are going to come calling for $$ in a hurry from those owners.

The owners are putting their asses out a little bit as well.

Which is why a deal is absolutely going to get done. I firmly believe there will be football in 2011.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-26-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't see why this is so outlandish. If anyone thinks that the best and most watched sport in America is gonna have a lockout...I don't know what to tell you. There will be no lockout.

Brock
01-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Isn't that exactly what they're saying?

If they lock the players out, the money spigot is dry. They aren't going to get that television revenue if there are no games played.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/nfl-lockout-biggest-disaster-tv-68656

I'm reading that this is not the case.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2011, 01:17 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/nfl-lockout-biggest-disaster-tv-68656

I'm reading that this is not the case.

Seems like it's mostly the networks that will get their ass kicked in the short term.

It appears that the league will have to pay the money back, which is a loss of real dollars. But that the networks won't be able to recover a lot of it from the advertisers.

I don't read that as the NFL owners simply getting a handout if no football is played. Mostly it appears that they have built in a life-raft from the network contract if the lockout happens. It's fairly clever, but it still requires that the money be given back at some point.

RedNFeisty
01-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I agree, it is a sign of good faith. I didn't see anyone at AIG give up their bonuses during their bail out.

Fish
01-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Akin to the Scooter store telling old gray hairs that if they approve you for a scooter, but Medicare denies it, you'll get it for free...

Nice gesture. But it's made with the realization that it's 99.99999999999% unlikely to be fulfilled...

Coogs
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd be a lot more in with the spirit of this thing if he would agree to give me the remaining $9,999,999.00. :)

chasedude
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
If there's no football come fall what would be the point of paying the man?...

This /thread

Quesadilla Joe
01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Broncos fan gets surprise call from NFL commissioner

James Owen’s phone rang Tuesday afternoon, and the name that popped up on his caller ID read “NFL.”

Owen’s immediate reaction was to panic.

Owen, who writes a fan blog called The South Stands and is active on Twitter under the handle “dasouthstands”, had recently sent an email to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to express his frustration about the lack of open discourse from the league and the NFL Players Association about the labor negotiations and the potential lockout, and Owen was worried that maybe he had written something that the folks in the NFL offices on Park Avenue hadn’t liked.

The gist of Owen’s email was that he felt both sides, the league and the union, were ignoring the fans. He certainly never expected a response.

“Absolutely not, I mean, who am I? I am just some lowly Bronco fan who decided to get a little upset with the league and the PA and write them,” Owen said.

Owen, who grew up in Parker but now lives in Orange County, Calif., went ahead and answered the phone anyway.

“This is James,” he said.

“James Owen?” said the man on the line. “This is Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the NFL.”

And thus began a 15-minute conversation in which Goodell responded to the issues Owen had raised in his email. Owen said it was a “low-key” and friendly talk, like any normal chat between sports fans.

“He said he got my email and wanted to first off thank me for sending my concerns to him, and wanted to let me know they are always concerned about the fans and wouldn’t be in position where it was if it wasn’t for the fans,” Owen said. “It was the standard stuff we’ve heard from the league, but he added some personal stuff to it.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed the conversation between Goodell and Owen, and added that Goodell returns emails and calls to fans “on a fairly regular basis.”

Owen (profiled in the Denver Post in May 2009 as a Bronco Super Fan) said that Goodell didn’t say anything negative about the NFLPA and told Owen that the league was committed to working out a new CBA.

Owen said he has not received a return message from the NFLPA.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/25/bronco-fan-gets-surprise-call-from-nfl-commissioner/6723/

Mr. Laz
01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
even if it's just lip service at least it's something ...

more than most do

01-26-2011, 03:13 PM
BS. That is still one dollar more than the players will get.

Three7s
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't see why this is so outlandish. If anyone thinks that the best and most watched sport in America is gonna have a lockout...I don't know what to tell you. There will be no lockout.
People said the same thing about baseball back in the 90s. So, what happened?

Fans should expect this kind of thing when you get a bunch of greedy owners combined with an idiot that doesn't know how to run a sport.

Buck
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

He gets to be the NFL Commissioner as long as he fucking wants. So just delay your retirement a year and you get that $10 million back.

So no, I am not impressed.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2011, 03:16 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/25/bronco-fan-gets-surprise-call-from-nfl-commissioner/6723/

The PR machine is in full swing.

Seriously, talk to players and owner, not fans.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
He gets to be the NFL Commissioner as long as he ****ing wants. So just delay your retirement a year and you get that $10 million back.

So no, I am not impressed.
he is still missing the money

if he extend his job a year he could have 20 million

hell players like Haynesworth rip teams off and won't give shit back.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
BS. That is still one dollar more than the players will get.
actually no, most players already got their signing bonus

Chiefs Pantalones
01-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Fans should expect this kind of thing when you get a bunch of greedy owners combined with an idiot that doesn't know how to run a sport.

I don't think they'll be that stupid and make the same mistake. Too much on the line. The MLB has since been dead, I agree.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM

and greedy,idiot players association

Phobia
01-26-2011, 03:33 PM

If there is a work stoppage at Edgewood Construction, I volunteer to stop taking my hefty salary because,.... uh, there will be NO MONEY COMING IN THE DOOR. No, I'm not impressed.

Buehler445
01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
If there is a work stoppage at Edgewood Construction, I volunteer to stop taking my hefty salary because,.... uh, there will be NO MONEY COMING IN THE DOOR. No, I'm not impressed.

But Edgewood Construction wouldn't have much of a choice. Goodell could still demand his paycheck.
Posted via Mobile Device

J Diddy
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
actually no, most players already got their signing bonus

and alot of em didn't even earn that

alnorth
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
It's nothing more than a shrewd move in a chess game. If the NFL owners lock the players out and the union decertifies, this becomes a nightmare that will go to the courts.

However, if the owners can credibly make the argument that they are trying to negotiate in good faith but are being stonewalled by the union into an impasse, then they can force their last offer on the union and the players will have to strike. That might not seem like a big difference, except it takes the antitrust lawsuits out of the picture and it becomes an old fashioned labor fight.

The argument of an impasse becomes easier to make when on one side the player's union stupidly yells about how there's no point in meeting with the owners, and on the other side the owners shrewdly say they are willing to bargain 24/7 with their point man offering to forgo his salary if they fail to get a deal.

SAUTO
01-26-2011, 07:39 PM
If he gives up his ten million, no matter what he loses ten million. How hard is that to understand? Sure he could make it again next year. He made it last year. He could make it for a hundred years, but he will always be short one year of pay.......
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
It's not about the money.

IMO, it shows his commitment to getting this thing fixed.

OR, it could be more meaningless PR bullshit from a commissioner who many say is a running joke and needs to GTFO.

One of those.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
“James Owen?” said the man on the line. “This is Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the NFL.”

That's like getting a personal call from Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago.

I bet Goodell told him to mind his P's and Q's, buster.

notorious
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Strictly posturing.

This puts more pressure on the players since the owners (including Goodell) are trying to put the "We are sacrificing but the players are NOT willing to" image.

Bullshit at it's finest. Goodell's money will be made up for when a new deal is reached.

KurtCobain
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
The only way fans are gonna take himseriously, is if Goodell comes out and says, "If there's a work stoppage, I will kill myself."

googlegoogle
01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Why does he get $10mill a year?

alnorth
01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
All that said, all I really care about is football, I'm not interested in figuring out which side is to blame. Labor talk is dull. I'm not even going to pay a lot of attention unless games are cancelled. If games are cancelled, then to hell with both sides.

If, as many say, the owners got screwed in the last CBA and they now want a fair deal, then to hell with the players for not being fair, and to hell with the owners for doing a piss-poor job of convincing the players to give in a little. Don't even bother explaining to me how I'm wrong and its clearly the players or owners who were right, no matter what the truth is, neither side is blameless if there's a work stoppage.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
This is clearly just a set up for Goodell's "dunna dun dun dun I'm lovin' it" McDonalds $1 ad campaign.

"I only made $1 this year. Where did I spend it? You better believe it was at McDonalds, where I can choose from a variety of delicious dollar-menu items every day."

Bugeater
01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I can't believe that little pipsqueak makes ten fucking million dollars a year.

bevischief
01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Better pay me more than $1 I will be pissed if no football...

chefsos
01-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Better pay me more than $1 I will be pissed if no football...
Hmm...

Here's what he should do: Keep his salary, but send every football fan a $1 check, every week. It'll be a nice (although futile) gesture, and it will save the USPS from ruin, too.

Three7s
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
All that said, all I really care about is football, I'm not interested in figuring out which side is to blame. Labor talk is dull. I'm not even going to pay a lot of attention unless games are cancelled. If games are cancelled, then to hell with both sides.

If, as many say, the owners got screwed in the last CBA and they now want a fair deal, then to hell with the players for not being fair, and to hell with the owners for doing a piss-poor job of convincing the players to give in a little. Don't even bother explaining to me how I'm wrong and its clearly the players or owners who were right, no matter what the truth is, neither side is blameless if there's a work stoppage.
This

The Owners AND Players need to realize what the big picture is. Without the fans, you guys aren't millionaires. They better get this shit done for the fucking fans!

Phobia
01-27-2011, 12:09 AM
If there's a stoppage, there is no NFL. If there's no NFL there is no commissioner. If there's no NFL there is no salary.

Frazod
01-27-2011, 12:13 AM
LMAO at some pompous multi-millionaire who could live like a king for the rest of his life if he never earned another cent talking some shit like this.

Fuck you, Roger. Too bad we can't have DaFace take his bank account down to zero, then let's see how he feels about skipping his salary.

teedubya
01-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Goodell calls Broncos fans? Well, then. FUCK the NFL.

cardken
01-27-2011, 05:33 AM
I don't think they'll be that stupid and make the same mistake. Too much on the line. The MLB has since been dead, I agree.

This is near even blame and greed on behalf of both parties, Owners want to keep as much as possible, but Players Union is forcing a non salary cap situation that would be disastrous for the League and fans alike as regards quality and parity.

Rain Man
01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
If there's a stoppage, there is no NFL. If there's no NFL there is no commissioner. If there's no NFL there is no salary.

Yeah, it's probably already been said, but my first thought is that if there's a work stoppage he's being overpaid at $1. His fundamental job requirement is to ensure that games occur.

BTAU
01-27-2011, 09:37 AM
DeMaurice Smith's Tweet Response:

"NFL executives reducing salaries in the event of a lockout? If we have a deal by Super Bowl, I'll go down to 68 cents."

Work blocks access to twitter. Pulled from ESPN article.

alnorth
01-27-2011, 10:27 AM
DeMaurice Smith's Tweet Response:

"NFL executives reducing salaries in the event of a lockout? If we have a deal by Super Bowl, I'll go down to 68 cents."

Work blocks access to twitter. Pulled from ESPN article.

What a moron. This is exactly what the owners want, the more the player's union talks about how far apart they are and how there's no hope of a deal, etc. the better the argument the owners will have that they are at an "impasse" to avoid having to lock them out.

The player's union should be, publicly at least, putting out the "we're rolling up our sleeves and trying to work out a deal" image, and then just let the owners lock them out.

BTAU
01-27-2011, 10:34 AM
What a moron. This is exactly what the owners want, the more the player's union talks about how far apart they are and how there's no hope of a deal, etc. the better the argument the owners will have that they are at an "impasse" to avoid having to lock them out.

The player's union should be, publicly at least, putting out the "we're rolling up our sleeves and trying to work out a deal" image, and then just let the owners lock them out.

I agree.

This seemed like a bad move on the union's part. At least Goodell was trying to show that he is willing to get a deal done and will stake his compensation on it. This is saying that if there is a deal he will take a pay cut. :hmmm:

BTAU
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah, it's probably already been said, but my first thought is that if there's a work stoppage he's being overpaid at $1. His fundamental job requirement is to ensure that games occur.

I would disagree with this. His fundamental job requirement would be to make the league run the best that it can. He believes that there are things that need to be improved with the way the the league is run and his only opportunity to address these items is through the collective bargaining agreement. He wants to get an agreement in place but it takes two sides to make the agreement. He's showing he is willing to talk to further this agreement.

I'm not saying that I agree with all of the changes that he wants to make, but I think that saying his only job is to make sure that games occur is a little short-sighted.

Rausch
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM

That's where I'm at...

Chiefnj2
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
That's where I'm at...

He's winning the PR war. His $1 salary is/was a front page story on most sports web pages, and if you read through this thread a good number of people were impressed.

Mojo Jojo
01-27-2011, 11:09 AM
The owners are preparing for a work stoppage...several teams, including the Chiefs, have fired a lot of administrative people...to get rid of front office/business salary.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Series of future dates at which they will continue to negotiate in hopes of getting a deal done before the CBA expires March 4
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
NFL and NFLPA announce today that Commish Goodell and DeMaurice Smith met in NYC today. Sides will negotiate Sat and also agreed to a ...

Bwana
01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
He's winning the PR war. His $1 salary is/was a front page story on most sports web pages, and if you read through this thread a good number of people were impressed.

And that folks, is the bottom line.