PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Jeep Willys

tooge
01-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Ok, about twenty years ago I had a 1951 Willys cj3A. I bought it from a farmer in Deepwater. I was maybe 20 percent into the restore when I basically ran out of money and graduated from school. Reluctantly, I had to sell it. It is the one thing I have ever owned that I wish now that I could have back. Anyhow, I'm starting the process of getting another one. I've been checking online sites and looking for something in the 1947 to 1951 cj2a or cj3a range. Any of you guys ever restored one of these completely? I'm not an all original buff, but would probably want to get as close to that as I can. Any tips on locating one, restoring one, etc. would be great. thx

DMAC
01-27-2011, 09:25 AM
AWESOME.

Good luck.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Start with the internet...

Rain Man
01-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Have you checked out Hemmings Motor News? My dad used to subscribe to that and they sell every car imaginable in there. I suspect it's not the cheapest place, but I bet you can find one.

Oooh, look at the 1943 model for sale in there. I'd like to have that.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?op=query&adtype=carsforsale&q=willys&x=0&y=0

mlyonsd
01-27-2011, 09:28 AM
My dad did. In the 60's. 1948. It was a beauty. Mom drove us kids around in it during the summer. They used it for coyote hunting in the winter.

He was a mechanic in the air guard so he knew what he was doing. Rebuilt the motor, sandblasted and painted the body, the works.

Funny you'd mention this....2 miles from my house sits a Willy's wagon....not sure what you call them. Solid top, almost looks like panels on the doors. Has a for sale sign on it.

Edit* - After looking at RM's link the one I'm talking about looks a lot like the orange wagon towards the bottom of the page.

Sofa King
01-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Two guys in town each have willy's their working on right now. little tiny bastards. they will be pretty awesome when they're done with em.

Rooster
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Sorry, I don't know a lot about Jeep Willys but if you have any questions about Wet Willys I'll be happy to help.

seclark
01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
i've got a good friend that has 2 willys he's rebuilt. might be of some help to you. send me a smoke and i'll send you some contact info, if you want.
sec

Radar Chief
01-27-2011, 09:51 AM
This board has been an invaluable resource for me and they cover early Jeeps of all kinds.

http://www.earlycj5.com/

A couple of the editors from JP Magazine even post there.

Radar Chief
01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Two guys in town each have willy's their working on right now. little tiny bastards. they will be pretty awesome when they're done with em.

The CJ-2’s were the smallest and the CJ’s grew bigger with each subsequent model all the way up to the modern Wranglers.

tooge
01-27-2011, 10:11 AM
The CJ-2’s were the smallest and the CJ’s grew bigger with each subsequent model all the way up to the modern Wranglers.

thats why they go anywhere, such a short wheelbase. I only had mine out a few times before I pulled the drivetrain, but it was fun.

Sofa King
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM

yeah. these things look like they can fit in the box of a pickup they're so small.

Radar Chief
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
thats why they go anywhere, such a short wheelbase. I only had mine out a few times before I pulled the drivetrain, but it was fun.

Oh I know. My CJ5 is bigger in every dimension than a 2 but I’ll still go places that the full sized rigs just flat won’t fit.

listopencil
01-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Have you checked out Hemmings Motor News? My dad used to subscribe to that and they sell every car imaginable in there. I suspect it's not the cheapest place, but I bet you can find one.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?op=query&adtype=carsforsale&q=willys&x=0&y=0

Check out this article linked from the same site:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/01/18/nothing-new-7-modern-car-technologies-actually-100-years-old/

TrebMaxx
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM

I am seriously thinking about buying a partially restored 40 Ford Pickup that is being sold by a co-worker of mine. Her husband recently passed away and she just wants it gone. I have been trying to find out the value of one and never thought to look a Hemmings. Off to research 40 Ford PU's.

Edit: Not one 40 Ford Pickup on the Hemmings Site.

alpha_omega
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Don't know anything about them...but i was at a trade show in Toronto a few weeks back and they had a real nice 1947 one that had been rebuilt...it was very nice...and in the original blue color.

Good luck...we would like to see pics when you get it finished.

Robio9
01-27-2011, 11:19 AM
I know the Jeep purists will find this blasphemous, but I love this willys hot rod. The guy drives it around Tempe and Phoenix and it looks sharp in person.

http://randyellisdesign.com/?page_id=167

Radar Chief
01-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I know the Jeep purists will find this blasphemous, but I love this willys hot rod. The guy drives it around Tempe and Phoenix and it looks sharp in person.

http://randyellisdesign.com/?page_id=167

Cool. The guy does some good work, but did you see his steering setup? :eek:

tooge
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Found a couple of good sites, namely ewillys.com. Looks like to get into a decent restorable cj2a that isn't either totally "bubba'd" or rusted through is gonna be about 2K.

Rain Man
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I am seriously thinking about buying a partially restored 40 Ford Pickup that is being sold by a co-worker of mine. Her husband recently passed away and she just wants it gone. I have been trying to find out the value of one and never thought to look a Hemmings. Off to research 40 Ford PU's.

Edit: Not one 40 Ford Pickup on the Hemmings Site.

Well, they've got one, but unless it came stock with a Chevy engine and a 10-CD changer, it might not be original. And no price, either.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/unspecified/1127592.html

Radar Chief
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Army testing the Jeep, just turn your sound down.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rug4jaPczls" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

TrebMaxx
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, they've got one, but unless it came stock with a Chevy engine and a 10-CD changer, it might not be original. And no price, either.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/unspecified/1127592.html
That is pretty sweet. Don't know how I missed it.

Rain Man
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
That is pretty sweet. Don't know how I missed it.

It looks like it wasn't classified as a truck, so if that was in your search it wouldn't have shown up.

Iowanian
01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I've been watching for an older International Scout to be my rumble wagon/hunting buggy.

TimeForWasp
01-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I bought one at a farm auction for $25 one time and sold it on ebay for $500 It was a rust bucket too.

Ok, about twenty years ago I had a 1951 Willys cj3A. I bought it from a farmer in Deepwater. I was maybe 20 percent into the restore when I basically ran out of money and graduated from school. Reluctantly, I had to sell it. It is the one thing I have ever owned that I wish now that I could have back. Anyhow, I'm starting the process of getting another one. I've been checking online sites and looking for something in the 1947 to 1951 cj2a or cj3a range. Any of you guys ever restored one of these completely? I'm not an all original buff, but would probably want to get as close to that as I can. Any tips on locating one, restoring one, etc. would be great. thx

Radar Chief
01-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I've been watching for an older International Scout to be my rumble wagon/hunting buggy.

Capable rig also.
Cool thing about Scouts is, besides having more room, you’re not going to go to an off road park or local wheeling spot and see dozens of them.
I love my CJ5 but it is by far the most common Jeep model made, spanning from ’55 to ’84.

Sofa King
01-27-2011, 01:20 PM

there are shitloads of those things around here. one guy alone has 6-8 alone.

i can think of about 6 others just sitting out in shelterbelts collecting rust.

Iowanian
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
there are shitloads of those things around here. one guy alone has 6-8 alone.

i can think of about 6 others just sitting out in shelterbelts collecting rust.

I'm looking for one that someone else has already sunken their money into...and then gets broke or is having a going-out-of-weddingbliss firesale.

You find a solid one for a good deal....let me know.

Sofa King
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm looking for one that someone else has already sunken their money into...and then gets broke or is having a going-out-of-weddingbliss firesale.

You find a solid one for a good deal....let me know.

i can do that. I'll keep my ears open.

stevieray
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I saw a Willys for sale a few years back down in Paola, totally restored..I had to stop just to peek..he wanted 7000k, but it was done right...man, that ride was sweeet.

Good luck in your search.

..as my Cherokee gently weeps.

ChiefsOne
01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
The guy that I work for just sold his '49 Jeespster on eBay for $10,850. It had been restored to about 90%. Looked great and ran really well, but the guy that bought it said he would have to stick around $1,000 in it to be really good.

Too bad I didn't know any thing about them because he offered it to me for $8,000.

Radar Chief
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I know nothing about it, just saw this as I was surfing Criag’s List for parts and thought of this topic.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2126041009.html

Iowanian
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I got my Scout this weekend.

It's bad ass. Never in my life have I had anything other than maybe a dirtbike that made me grin like I was motorboating a supermodel just by bouncing around country road.

I called my folks and told them I found out friday that I'd had a son I didn't know about.....in 1977.

I think his name is Tonto.

WV
03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
My hunting buddies uncle has one that's pretty close to original....I'd absolutely love to have that Willy's.

Iowanian
03-14-2011, 05:54 PM
I can already tell this is going to be an expensive affair.

I've had it 3 days and I'm already cruising Scout sites, looking for some parts and preparing to spend money. It's getting lots and lots of looks right now, but when I'm done, I think I know what the Bigfoot creator felt like in the early 80s.

mlyonsd
03-14-2011, 06:46 PM

It's bad ass. Never in my life have I had anything other than maybe a dirtbike that made me grin like I was motorboating a supermodel just by bouncing around country road.

I called my folks and told them I found out friday that I'd had a son I didn't know about.....in 1977.

I think his name is Tonto. Awesome. Never was in a Scout but back in the early 70's my dad took three different wrecked Travelalls and built one that lasted forever. It was our hunting machine. I learned to drive a clutch on it. Didn't have syncronized gears so it had to be double clutched with every shift. To fill it up you had to open the right side passenger door and flip up a flap in the floor. Dad and Grandpa could build any machine.

God I loved that thing.

CrazyHorse
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
All I can tell you, buy every parts car you can. That way, not only will you save a ton on parts. You can ebay parts you have doubles and triples of.

That said, there is still gonna be stuff you'll have to search for. Some of it will be rough and expensive.

Enjoy.

Radar Chief
03-15-2011, 07:24 PM

I think his name is Tonto.

So spill it, what did you get?

WV
03-15-2011, 07:44 PM
I can already tell this is going to be an expensive affair.

I've had it 3 days and I'm already cruising Scout sites, looking for some parts and preparing to spend money. It's getting lots and lots of looks right now, but when I'm done, I think I know what the Bigfoot creator felt like in the early 80s.

One thing Scouts were never short of.....rust.

SAUTO
03-15-2011, 08:24 PM

I know where one is that has never had any. The family has owned it since brand new. 72.

I know where another one is that had minimal rust.

That guy has had it since new, 72 also iirc
It will be at my shop soon since the brake booster went out and he doesn't think he can sell it that way.

I can't believe he even is thinking about it. It has been part of their family, but his kids don't wasn't it
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I know where one is that has never had any. The family has owned it since brand new. 72.

I know where another one is that had minimal rust.

That guy has had it since new, 72 also iirc
It will be at my shop soon since the brake booster went out and he doesn't think he can sell it that way.

I can't believe he even is thinking about it. It has been part of their family, but his kids don't wasn't it
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can find a scout that isn't eaten up with rust you should jump on it....they were and still are great 4X4's.

Iowanian
03-15-2011, 09:34 PM

Mine is out of Arizona....very, very little rust. Body is in great shape with the exception of a couple of small dents in the quarter panel and the front fender.

It's a 78 Scout ii. Currently sitting with the truck cab, and had a little sheet metal work done to close it up. I've got the long top in the deal but have to go pick that up. It's got the 345v8. I'm not convinced that the cab isn't off of a Terra though.

It could use a paint job, but it's not ugly the way it sits. It's a show stopper though...had at least 3 people pull into my parking lot today just to eye fornicate it. HS boys keep stopping and telling me how awesome it is too.

Just had a ridiculous stereo put in it right before I bought it.... If I had this when I was 17, I would have been a poon-slayer to behold.

It needs some small things, like turn signal switch, wiper blades and maybe wiper motor....but I'm starting with a 4-6" suspension lift and some 35" swampers I think.

This is the truck I've needed my entire life. I effing Love it right now.

Some of the old timer mechanics are chuckling and saying I'll hate it soon enough.....but right now, it purrs like a lion and drives like a redneck dream.

All it really needs is a tackle box, fishing rod and my bow case thrown in the seat next to me.

Radar Chief
03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Mine is out of Arizona....very, very little rust. Body is in great shape with the exception of a couple of small dents in the quarter panel and the front fender.

It's a 78 Scout ii. Currently sitting with the truck cab, and had a little sheet metal work done to close it up. I've got the long top in the deal but have to go pick that up. It's got the 345v8. I'm not convinced that the cab isn't off of a Terra though.

It could use a paint job, but it's not ugly the way it sits. It's a show stopper though...had at least 3 people pull into my parking lot today just to eye fornicate it. HS boys keep stopping and telling me how awesome it is too.

Just had a ridiculous stereo put in it right before I bought it.... If I had this when I was 17, I would have been a poon-slayer to behold.

It needs some small things, like turn signal switch, wiper blades and maybe wiper motor....but I'm starting with a 4-6" suspension lift and some 35" swampers I think.

This is the truck I've needed my entire life. I effing Love it right now.

Some of the old timer mechanics are chuckling and saying I'll hate it soon enough.....but right now, it purrs like a lion and drives like a redneck dream.

All it really needs is a tackle box, fishing rod and my bow case thrown in the seat next to me.

Sweet.
From what little I know about Scouts I think the 345 V8 means it also came with Dana 44 axles front and rear. Also seems like they had the Dana 20 transfer case but I would have no idea what transmission. Auto or stick?
Those axles and transfer case are pretty good stuff, there’s pretty good aftermarket support for them. 35’s are probably about as big as you want to go though, unless you bling the axles.
Know what gear ratio is in the axles? Its real common for guys to put lift and big tires on without thinking of regearing because a V8 will spin tires that big just that gas mileage will suck until its geared for the tires.

Iowanian
03-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure what the gear ratio is, but you're right. The 345, the dana axles on the front and back, the solid drive shaft. The transmission is a dodge/Chrystler and I've got it written down but I'm not sure what model it is.

I've noticed a little sqeal in the power steering and looking at it, almost acts like the unit is "catching" or not turning right...but the wheel doesn't wobble. not sure about that.

Alot of crud inside the radiator cap too. I'm thinking flushing that is moving up the chain of "to do" list.

I just got back from a couple hour backroad cruise with one of my buddies from HS. It was a lot of fun, but seemed a little off without our 3rd wheel, who we buried this winter.

SAUTO
03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
If you can find a scout that isn't eaten up with rust you should jump on it....they were and still are great 4X4's.

i know but i dont want it......

Radar Chief
03-16-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure what the gear ratio is, but you're right. The 345, the dana axles on the front and back, the solid drive shaft. The transmission is a dodge/Chrystler and I've got it written down but I'm not sure what model it is.

I've noticed a little sqeal in the power steering and looking at it, almost acts like the unit is "catching" or not turning right...but the wheel doesn't wobble. not sure about that.

Alot of crud inside the radiator cap too. I'm thinking flushing that is moving up the chain of "to do" list.

I just got back from a couple hour backroad cruise with one of my buddies from HS. It was a lot of fun, but seemed a little off without our 3rd wheel, who we buried this winter.

Transmission, TF727? Some Jeeps used those too.
Sounds like new fluids are in order all the way around.
While you're doing that jack one end up and drain the differential then pull the cover. Stamped into the side of the ring gear should be either the gear ratio or the tooth count for the ring and pinion, which you can figure gear ratio from.

Radar Chief
03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

In case you didn't already have this bookmarked here is a gear ratio calculator I have found to be very helpful.

tooge
04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
thinking of checking this one out a bit. I'd probably switch the flat 4 for a 6 anyhow.

Rukdafaidas
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
It shouldn't take you too long to rebuild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIHk8KqsU0&sns=em

crazycoffey
04-19-2011, 02:25 PM
It shouldn't take you too long to rebuild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIHk8KqsU0&sns=em

awesome, they have that routine down pat!

Radar Chief
04-19-2011, 02:37 PM
awesome, they have that routine down pat!

Radiator with no fluid, no brake lines going to either axle, exhaust that’s about to drag the ground and stays with the chassis when they pull the driveline.
Good thing they aren’t driving it far.

Rukdafaidas
04-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah, but they still managed to take most of a car apart and put it back together in less than 4 min's.
With today's cars, there are some batteries that can't be changed in half a day.

Radar Chief
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah, but they still managed to take most of a car apart and put it back together in less than 4 min's.
With today's cars, there are some batteries that can't be changed in half a day.

Oh I know. Some front wheel drive V-6’s require that the engine be disconnected at the motor mount and rotated forward just to change the spark plugs on the rear cylinder bank.
Sorry, didn’t mean to poo poo their demonstration just point out that this particular Jeep has been specially prepared for this demonstration. Otherwise the teamwork is impressive. They work together with precision rivaling an NHRA Top Fuel crew.

Radar Chief
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
thinking of checking this one out a bit. I'd probably switch the flat 4 for a 6 anyhow.

So, what did you find out?
Keep in mind, swapping motors around in these things may be popular but its not as simple as bolting in the new mill. The old motor mounts will have to be cut out, new ones burned in and there are a few measurements and angles that need to be built into how the engine is placed.
Not trying to scare you off, just saying.