PDA

View Full Version : News Spam Text Kills Homicide Bomber

reschief
01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Sometimes, every now and then, there is justice in the world. . .

Spam text kills a suicide bomber, saves hundredsBy Athima Chansanchai

A spam message wishing a Russian woman happy new year may very well have killed her, and saved hundreds of intended targets, according to an account by The Telegraph's Moscow correspondent, Andrew Osborn.

The woman, dubbed "The Black Widow," who authorities suspect was part of the same militant group that killed 35 people at Moscow's Domodedovo airport on Monday, was at a house preparing for the attack, which would have occurred on New Year's Eve at Red Square. Instead, the woman's mobile phone, which served as the device's detonator, was activated hours early by a spam message wishing her a happy new year. She was killed, while a man and woman also in the house and suspected of being accomplices, escaped.

Russian security forces told The Telegraph that phones are usually kept off until the last minute for detonation, but in this case, "the terrorists were careless."

38yrsfan
01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
For some reason Jim Croce comes to mind .......

Sofa King
01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm sending all cp members that same message, just to be safe.

Frazod
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
First in with SHE HAD A BLAST ON NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!!!!!!!!!

wazu
01-28-2011, 03:23 PM
The correct term is "suicide bomber". Or, if they don't actually intend to kill themselves while in the process, just "bomber" will do.

reschief
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Respectfully disagree. . .if the main intent is to kill others, often referred to in common vernacular, i.e. "a person who kills another" as homicide, why would the person instigating the death of others be called "suicide bomber?" and who really cares if said person does, in fact, kill him or herself?

ReynardMuldrake
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Respectfully disagree. . .if the main intent is to kill others, often referred to in common vernacular, i.e. "a person who kills another" as homicide, why would the person instigating the death of others be called "suicide bomber?" and who really cares if said person does, in fact, kill him or herself?

Ted Kaczynski would be a homicide bomber. Someone who blows up themselves as well would be a suicide bomber.

Brock
01-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Ted Kaczynski would be a homicide bomber. Someone who blows up themselves as well would be a suicide bomber.

Seems to me a suicide bomber would be someone who goes out in the middle of nowhere and blows themselves up. With these guys, blowing themselves up is incidental.

talastan
01-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Yay Captialism wins again!! :clap: America **** yeah!

Chief Chief
01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Spam ---> BLAM! ---> Thank you, ma'am

jettio
01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I think suicide bomber was used for a number of years until somebody decided that those words bestowed the martyrdom that the suicide bomber was seeking and that homicide bomber would diminish the bomber moreso than suicide bomber.

I think words should be chosen that are easier to understand, and calling these folks suicide bomber conveys the news faster since that is the word that people are used to.

Iowanian
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Thank you Nigerian Uncle Millionaire for saving the lives of hundreds of Russians.

kcmaxwell
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Spam ---> BLAM! ---> Thank you, ma'am

lol! rep!!

reschief
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM

I suppose it makes for an interesting debate. I do agree that the media usually calls such persons "suicide bombers." But, that doesn't make it the right or best term. If the intent is to kill others (and how could that not be the main intent. . .they're willing to die to make killing others happen) the best term is [I]homicide[I]bomber. The fact that he or she is also killed is of little or no consequence. Maybe kamikaze bomber would work too?

Anyway, karma is a b****

Extra Point
01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Sometimes the bear catches you.

Iowanian
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM
In Soviet Russia, sometimes Phone Kill YOU.

38yrsfan
01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
It was probably meant for ET.

KurtCobain
01-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I hope she made it out ok.

chefsos
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I hope she made it out ok.Better than OK. She made it out the front door, back door, and all the windows. Up the chimney, too.

KurtCobain
01-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Better than OK. She made it out the front door, back door, and all the windows. Up the chimney, too.

Thank God! Or maybe Ala or who the fuck ever she sprays to.