PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Smoker for My B-Day

jspchief
01-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Just got a smoker for my birthday. It's an electric masterbuilt. Yea I know, cheater, but you gotta crawl before you walk, and it's really my preference.

I'm seasoning it now, and plan on doing ribs tomorrow.

I was planing on using the BRITU (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html) recipe, and wanted to know what the experts think or if they have other recipe suggestions. I plan on following it pretty much to the letter, although I'm not decided on the sauce.

Any other tips are appreciated.

Stewie
01-30-2011, 12:43 PM
BRITU is a good start. It will take you a few smokes to get a feel for your smoker. Keep it simple for now and then expand.

Buehler445
01-30-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178969

I have virtually the same thing. Guys on here really helped me out. I'd be pretty worthless with it if not for some guys on here. Really good info for n00bs in here.

All credit goes to these guys.

cdcox
01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Stay away from "enhanced" pork. You don't want anything 8% solution of anything injected or touching your meat.

jspchief
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Stay away from "enhanced" pork. You don't want anything 8% solution of anything injected or touching your meat.Yea, I don't anticipate having trouble finding good pork here in Iowa ;)

keg in kc
01-30-2011, 01:32 PM
For some reason I got this image that somebody gave you an old lady with a raspy voice who smokes two packs a day as a gift. Happy f'n birthday!

Bwana
01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Outstanding! Enjoy it.......

BigRedChief
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm on my 2nd electric smoker. My first was a electric Masterbuilt.

Make sure you start with cheaper meats until you get the hang of it. It can get expensive learning your smoker.
Always use a combination of apple/oak etc. The fruit wood with the standard mesquite etc produces the best flavor, IMHO.
Make sure you are soaking your wood chips in water at least 30 mintues before going into the smoker.
I got most of my wood chips and accessories at Wal-Mart and my meat has satisfied many women.:)

kysirsoze
01-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Lucky bastard. I've got a 40 dollar POS from Home Depot. It gets the job done with near constant supervision, but I have to have nothing to do pretty much the whole day.

Saccopoo
01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Ah...smoking meats. Welcome to the club.

Weber Smokey Mountain with a rack of ribs on the bottom, a 3 lb. cutthroat and some brats on the top.

chris
01-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm on my 2nd electric smoker. My first was a electric Masterbuilt.

Make sure you start with cheaper meats until you get the hang of it. It can get expensive learning your smoker.
Always use a combination of apple/oak etc. The fruit wood with the standard mesquite etc produces the best flavor, IMHO.
Make sure you are soaking your wood chips in water at least 30 mintues before going into the smoker.
I got most of my wood chips and accessories at Wal-Mart and my meat has satisfied many women.:)

Question: why do you like having an electric smoker? I'm trying to determine whether an electric or pellet smoker is the way to go. Thanks

BigRedChief
01-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Question: why do you like having an electric smoker? I'm trying to determine whether an electric or pellet smoker is the way to go. ThanksI just want the smoked meat with as little work as possible. I can put the meat in and forget it. Come back later and I got some finished meat. Easy clean up. I respect the hell out of Phobia and his lot that watch their smokers all day but its just not for me.

Extra Point
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Question: why do you like having an electric smoker? I'm trying to determine whether an electric or pellet smoker is the way to go. Thanks

Gee. A Traeger pellet smoker is about $400, compared to this $70 POS. Do the math.

Rain Man
01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
For some reason I got this image that somebody gave you an old lady with a raspy voice who smokes two packs a day as a gift. Happy f'n birthday!

That was my thought, too.

"Hi, I'm here for your birthday."

http://www.beautyhobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/woman_smoking.jpg

tooge
01-31-2011, 12:25 PM
mmmm, ribs. I've never used an electric. I did these on a weber smokey mountain. I wouldn't mind havin one though for the winter. trying to keep heat on a stick smoker is a bitch in the winter. The BRITU is pretty good especially to start with but I've found that the 3-2-1 method tends to make them a little too done. try it though and see what you think. Also, the sauce they recommend for the BRITU (KC masterpice and honey) is pretty sweet. If you use it, you might want to add some hot sauce to it. Good luck

Phobia
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
I just want the smoked meat with as little work as possible. I can put the meat in and forget it. Come back later and I got some finished meat. Easy clean up. I respect the hell out of Phobia and his lot that watch their smokers all day but its just not for me.

I don't watch mine all day. I can leave for up to 4 hours at a time - sometimes overnight if necessary because I have a thick smoker that will hold heat well. The cheap thing I had first required constant supervision but I only worked with that a couple of months before I upgraded.

jspchief
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
mmmm, ribs. I've never used an electric. I did these on a weber smokey mountain. I wouldn't mind havin one though for the winter. trying to keep heat on a stick smoker is a bitch in the winter. The BRITU is pretty good especially to start with but I've found that the 3-2-1 method tends to make them a little too done. try it though and see what you think. Also, the sauce they recommend for the BRITU (KC masterpice and honey) is pretty sweet. If you use it, you might want to add some hot sauce to it. Good luckI'm not decided on the sauce yet. Between all the sugar in the rub, and the honey in the sauce, it may be too much for my tastes.

I mostly wanted a starting point for time and temp. Once I feel like the "cooking" part of making ribs is on solid ground, I won't have any problem tweaking my rubs and sauces to get to what I like.

FWIW, they are on now, in spite of the snow rolling in. I had the meat and didn't want to freeze it and tomorrow would be my last chance so I said to hell with it and put them on.

Shag
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
mmmm, ribs. I've never used an electric. I did these on a weber smokey mountain. I wouldn't mind havin one though for the winter. trying to keep heat on a stick smoker is a bitch in the winter. The BRITU is pretty good especially to start with but I've found that the 3-2-1 method tends to make them a little too done. try it though and see what you think. Also, the sauce they recommend for the BRITU (KC masterpice and honey) is pretty sweet. If you use it, you might want to add some hot sauce to it. Good luck

Probably telling you something you already know, but just in case - the 3-2-1 method is for spare ribs, not baby backs. Baby backs are 2-2-1...

Phobia
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm not decided on the sauce yet. Between all the sugar in the rub, and the honey in the sauce, it may be too much for my tastes.

I mostly wanted a starting point for time and temp. Once I feel like the "cooking" part of making ribs is on solid ground, I won't have any problem tweaking my rubs and sauces to get to what I like.

FWIW, they are on now, in spite of the snow rolling in. I had the meat and didn't want to freeze it and tomorrow would be my last chance so I said to hell with it and put them on.

You don't even need a sauce. I almost never sauce my ribs.

tooge
01-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Probably telling you something you already know, but just in case - the 3-2-1 method is for spare ribs, not baby backs. Baby backs are 2-2-1...

Yeah, I usually use spares and cut them down (i hate the term st. louis cut) and they basically look like real meaty baby backs

tooge
01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
You don't even need a sauce. I almost never sauce my ribs.

this. a good rub, and some timely spraying with apple juice and you will have a moist rub "bark" that requires no sauce. Spray about every 45 min or so.

Great Expectations
01-31-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't watch mine all day. I can leave for up to 4 hours at a time - sometimes overnight if necessary because I have a thick smoker that will hold heat well. The cheap thing I had first required constant supervision but I only worked with that a couple of months before I upgraded.

My big green egg holds temps for at least 20 hours. A good rub I have been using for my base is:

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/About.html

Kerberos
01-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Good friend a co-worker in KS invited me out a couple years ago for some BBQ he did on his Traeger electric smoker and that was a NICE piece of machinery and some damn good brisket and ribs.

IIRC Traeger was a little on the pricey side but it cooked some damn good food.

Kerberos
01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
BTW you F***ers a making me hungry. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Phobia
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
My big green egg holds temps for at least 20 hours. A good rub I have been using for my base is:

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/About.html

My f-i-l has a couple of those. I've watched him play on it but not played myself.

siberian khatru
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
BTW you F***ers a making me hungry. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Great Expectations
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
My f-i-l has a couple of those. I've watched him play on it but not played myself.

I've been using mine for a couple of years now. I don't know if it makes ribs taste that much better, but brisket, turkey, and chicken (or meats that can become dry easily) are better off of it than anything else I've seen.

jbwm89
01-31-2011, 05:06 PM
I've got the 150 dollar propane smoker from Lowe's. So far I've only made a few slabs of ribs and a brisket but they were delicious. btw kc masterpiece and honey is amazing stuff.

Fire Me Boy!
01-31-2011, 05:09 PM
I've got the 150 dollar propane smoker from Lowe's. So far I've only made a few slabs of ribs and a brisket but they were delicious. btw kc masterpiece and honey is amazing stuff.

:Lin:

WV
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Still learning to use my brinks smoker, but I haven't had anything bad off of it yet.

jspchief
01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
OK, so here's my review:

Smoker: Performed great under adverse conditions. Held the temp to within a degree or 2 every time I checked. And that's in weather that left over an inch of snow in the grease cup by the time I was done. My only issue would be the small compartment for wood. It only holds about 1 cup of chips, and I refilled it 3 times, and that was with soaked wood. I'll have to look into larger chunks or something, or maybe that's just part of the deal.

Recipe: I used the BRITU rub and cooking instructions nearly to the word. I did cut back the salt and sugar in the rub by 1/4 cup and used 1 teaspoon less cayenne to make it kid friendly. I also made a small batch of the KC masterpiece and honey, 5:1 ratio, and it was a an excellent compliment to the rub.

The Food: Un-freaking-believable! I anticipated lesser results, expecting a few attempts before getting it right. This stuff was like heaven falling from the rib bones of angels. My only issue was the coloring. The outside was very black. I kept the smoke vent nearly closed for fear of temp control in the cold, and I wonder if that played a part. Hardly an issue, but something to work on.

Overall: Love the smoker. Love the rub, and will probably use that recipe as a base for future rubs. The sauce, as mentioned, was actually a very good compliment to the rub, and I wouldn't think twice serving the meat sauced to guests. Was very happy with results from cooking directions, and suspect this will become my standard for ribs.

Phobia
01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
The sugar probably caused the black. Open that damper wide. Let it roll out. The electric will keep up.

BigRedChief
01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
The sugar probably caused the black. Open that damper wide. Let it roll out. The electric will keep up.I agree. I never fully closed the flu. And WTF? KC Masterpiece?:eek:

jspchief
01-31-2011, 08:58 PM
And WTF? KC Masterpiece?:eek:I know. That's what the recipe called for and I gave it a shot because I thought the kids would like it. And to be honest, it was good. Not my type of sauce, and making it sweeter with honey sounded awful, but it wasn't bad.

RJ
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM

I absolutely agree about the 3-2-1 method. Overcooks them for my taste, but if you want the "falling off the bone" thing then you'll like it fine.

jspchief, congrats on your new smoker. I don't know a thing about electric but as has been mentioned, practice makes perfect. I found pork butt to be a great meat for beginners. They're kind of hard to screw up and you'll get a feel for the rubs and such that you like. Best of luck and have fun.