PDA

View Full Version : National Football Post's First Round Mock

Quesadilla Joe
02-01-2011, 10:21 PM
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2975/aviarynationalfootballp.png
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

Here is their scouting report for the Chiefs pick.

HT: 6-3 WT: 258

Possesses good size for the outside linebacker position, is a bit lean in the upper body, but has a bubble in the lower half and can really fire off the football. Also, displays a long set of arms for his size and does a nice job keeping himself clean off the edge. Coils up into his stance well, keeps his base down off the ball and routinely takes a positive first step, staying low and getting on top of offensive tackles quickly. Possesses elite first step quickness and can consistently threaten the corner. Does a very good job of extending his arms into contact when trying to reach the corner, keeps himself clean and loves to work the inside rip in order to free himself around the corner. Exhibits good balance and acceleration when flattening out around the end and possesses impressive closing speed around the corner. However, is a bit limited as a pass rusher at this stage, at times will work the bull rush and does a nice job getting his hands under the pad level of blockers, gaining leverage and driving his legs through contact. And through contact does a nice job working his way inside. However, doesn't display much of an inside move laterally and doesn't use his hands well enough to slip blocks inside before contact. Too often can be overplayed toward the edge and pushed past the play, as he will let his pad level get a bit upright once he is clean from contact.

Is a willing run defender, but lacks ideal girth at the point of attack and can be overwhelmed on contact. Played with his hand on the ground mostly at Georgia and isn't a guy who looks like an ideal fit as a down defensive lineman unless it's in more of a cover two scheme. However, showcases the ability to make his way up the field from a two-point stance, reads pulling linemen well, plays with proper leverage and can accelerate toward the football. Doesn't use his hands well enough to disengage through contact, but has some natural strength to his game. Plays with a good motor, works hard from the backside and exhibits a passion for the game.

Impression: An explosive pass rusher who has been productive in the SEC the past two seasons and knows how to consistently threaten the corner. Has the fluidity to develop a counter move and drop off into coverage, just needs some time. Looks like an impact-caliber rush linebacker at the next level.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=78015

Bowser
02-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Cam Newton at 5? Mallett at 12?

And I'll admit I know very little about Justin Houston. Would he make a good Vrabel replacement?

Chiefnj2
02-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Cam Newton at 5? Mallett at 12?

And I'll admit I know very little about Justin Houston. Would he make a good Vrabel replacement?

Who knows. Like the write up said, he played a lot as a down rusher at GA. Whether he can transition well to standing up and playing coverage is unknown. That's why so many people seem to like Ayers.

ArrowheadMagic
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Houston wont set the edge in the running game. Isnt the prototypical type of LB a Crennel D looks for. But there arent many RT's in the league that would be able to handle him off the edge in passing situations. Kerrigan or a Brooks Reed are more the type of guys that play the "Vrabel" position. Wouldnt mind this pick at all.

suzzer99
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I've never heard of any player described as "has a bubble in the lower half", nor would I have expected that to be a good thing.

ArrowheadMagic
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Who knows. Like the write up said, he played a lot as a down rusher at GA. Whether he can transition well to standing up and playing coverage is unknown. That's why so many people seem to like Ayers.

He'll transition well. Wont be a run stopper, athletic enough to cover the flats. RT's will have trouble with him on passing downs. Long arms, uses his hands well. Wont and shouldnt be your primary pass rusher as a rookie. Has a ton of potential. A Peppers type athlete.

Chiefs=Champions
02-02-2011, 01:44 AM
I've never heard of any player described as "has a bubble in the lower half", nor would I have expected that to be a good thing.

LMAO he may want to get that checked out..

Hammock Parties
02-02-2011, 01:47 AM

It just means he has thick legs and a badonkadonk.

salame
02-02-2011, 02:06 AM
http://proprospects.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/justin-houston.jpg

Bewbies
02-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Houston is a stud.

salame
02-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Gabe Carimi is going to be a stud too

Bewbies
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Gabe Carimi is going to be a stud too

Lots if the guys drafted this year will be studs, what's your point?

Direckshun
02-02-2011, 07:22 AM
I think Houston is too much of a one-trick pony. He blasts to the edge and turns the corner. No bullrush, no spin move, no swim move.

Also, put up most of his stats against really shitty teams. His sack numbers in the big games are abysmal.

But don't ask me. I seemingly never like passrushers in the draft. I have no idea why but I almost never seem to think they'll translate well.

Chiefnj2
02-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Everyone says they want a pass rusher on the other side of Hali. It would be nice if the kid could rush, but the way KC uses Vrabel, the draft pick is going to have to be well rounded and run with TE's in coverage.

Sacks are glamorous, but you need those pass coverage skills - look at the Ravens being able to take Moeaki out of the game.

the Talking Can
02-02-2011, 09:48 AM
georgia switched to a 3-4 this year, so he's played 1 year as an OLB...still not sure what his upside is...but he was the bright spot on an otherwise underperforming team
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/houston_justin00.html

Career Highs: 10 tackles (2x), last vs. UCF in 2010
*3 sacks at No. 24 South Carolina in 2010
*1 interception vs. Ga. Tech in 2010
*4 interception return yards vs. Ga. Tech in 2010
*1 fumble recovery (2x), last vs. Ga. Tech in 2010
*18 fumble return yards vs. Ga. Tech in 2010
*1 fumble return for TD vs. Ga. Tech in 2010

2010: Named a FWAA All-America selection, a Walter Camp All-America Second Team selection and a Pro Football Weekly All-America selection.
*Named a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Butkus Award and a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award.
*Named All-SEC First Team by Associated Press SEC Coaches, Phil Steele and Rivals.com; Also selected to SouthernPigskin All-SEC Team.
*Chosen as team's Most Valuable Defensive Player.
*Awarded CFPW 2010 National Linebacker Trophy.
*Started all 13 games recording 67 tackles including a team-leading 18.5 for loss and 10.0 sacks to go along with 44 quarterback pressures, two pass break ups, an INT, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.
*In the SEC, ranked second in sacks per game (0.77) and tackles for loss per game (1.42).
*Tied career-high with 10 tackles vs. UCF in AutoZone Liberty Bowl.
*Recorded seven tackles, including one for loss, an interception, and returned a fumble 18 yards for a TD vs. Ga. Tech.
*Had six tackles, including a sack, at No. 2 Auburn.
*Named SEC Defensive Player of the Week & CFPA Honorable Mention DL of the Week after he had five tackles, three for a loss, including two sacks and a pass break-up at Kentucky.
*Named to Phil Steele's 2010 Midseason All-America First Team.
*Earned CFPA Honorable Mention DL of the Week recognition after recording five tackles, 2.5 for a loss including 1.5 sacks, vs. Tennessee.
*Registered a career-high 10 tackles, including a career-best three sacks, and forced a fumble at No. 24 South Carolina.
*Named to watch lists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Chuck Bednarik Award
*Named preseason All-SEC first team by Phil Steele and second team by SEC Media and Athlon Sports.
*Preseason national outside linebacker ranks of #7 by Lindy's and #30 by Phil Steele.
*Recipient of the Statesboro Bulldog Club Football Scholarship.
*Named Most Valuable Player on defense following spring drills.
*Recorded four tackles, one sack, in spring G-Day game.

The Bad Guy
02-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah so Milkman completely blew up Direckshun's claim he doesn't play well against top competition. His best games were against ranked teams.