PDA

View Full Version : Life Burn patient receives spray from stem cell gun and is fully healed in days

Wyndex
02-02-2011, 09:06 AM
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/explorer/4828/Videos#tab-Videos/09347_00

edit: apparently this link no longer leads to the stem cell gun video, thanks to Laz we still have the stem cell gun video

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eXO_ApjKPaI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

also if you're wondering the stem cells used were harvested from the patient's skin

JD10367
02-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I can't wait to use this line to convince a chick to let me facialize her. "Hey, baby... Can I spray you with my stem cell gun? It's good for you, I promise..."

kepp
02-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Wow...that's huge.

Kerberos
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I can't wait to use this line to convince a chick to let me facialize her. "Hey, baby... Can I spray you with my stem cell gun? It's good for you, I promise..."

Good for her and good for you. Tell her it's a WIN-WIN situation. How could she say no? :evil:

Pushead2
02-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Wow...that's huge.

this

Pants
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I think humanity is on the verge (relatively speaking) of significantly extending our life expectancy. Maybe another 50-60 years and we'll be there. I think the children of my generation might be able to benefit from the stem cell research. Their kids might be looking at nanotechnology.

Baby Lee
02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I believe that the first person to live to 150 is alive today, and I think that person is me, . . . if I could only STOP . . . Pooping!!

Iowanian
02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
That's pretty amazing.

I have a friend who went to another country last year for some stem cell treatments for 2 issues...a hearing problem and a shoulder injury. The stem cells used on him(and apparently in Europe) were made from Sheep. He said his injury felt significantly better the next day...and his other issue was improved as much as the scarring would allow. He was definitely a believer in it.

FAX
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
This is one of the most amazing things I have ever heard in my life. Top five, at minimum.

Skin is an organ like any other. The idea of sampling existing, sound organ tissue, creating a medium with those cells, then regenerating the organ is the stuff of science fiction. It's not too difficult to imagine that, if they can do that with skin, they could eventually do it with any organ in the human body from gut to brain.

Incredible. Thanks for posting, Mr. Wyndex.

FAX

Sofa King
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
I wonder if they can give me cheetah muscles... i'd love to run 75 mph from time to time.

chiefsnorth
02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Not watching the video. What sorts of stem cells are being used?

notorious
02-02-2011, 10:14 AM
20 years from now a Moms won't be reminding their kids to take their viatimins at breakfast.

Mom will be reminding kids to take their HGH and Stem Cells.

BigMeatballDave
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Not watching the video. What sorts of stem cells are being used?This has nothing to do with an undeveloped fetus.

And if thats what you're worried about, GFY.

BigMeatballDave
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
That shit just blows me away.

chiefsnorth
02-02-2011, 10:23 AM
This has nothing to do with an undeveloped fetus.

And if thats what you're worried about, GFY.

Is it an offensive question? Kindly GFY after removing the sand.

Extra Point
02-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I wonder if they can give me cheetah muscles... i'd love to run 75 mph from time to time.

Not yet available. Ain't that a kick in the head?

Chiefaholic
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
That's freaking amazing.

BigMeatballDave
02-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Is it an offensive question? Kindly GFY after removing the sand.Not as much as your general disposition.

loochy
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
If I spray myself in the crotch will it make me bigger?

Iowanian
02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Well there is a study underway now where they are making stem cells from my wedding tackle and using it to spray and grow damaged Mule penis.

FAX
02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
In the interest of providing some perspective ...

I once had the horrific misfortune to, for a brief time, share a room at KUMC with a burn victim. This poor young man had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over approximately 70% of his body. He was in unimaginable pain. The treatment? Tar. Black tar spread over his body that the nurses tried to keep him from rubbing off. And, of course, tons of IV morphine.

The difference between that treatment and this ... well, it's almost - and practically is - unimaginable.

FAX

notorious
02-02-2011, 11:03 AM

I once had the horrific misfortune to, for a brief time, share a room at KUMC with a burn victim. This poor young man had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over approximately 70% of his body. He was in unimaginable pain. The treatment? Tar. Black tar spread over his body that the nurses tried to keep him from rubbing off. And, of course, tons of IV morphine.

The difference between that treatment and this ... well, it's almost - and practically is - unimaginable.

FAX

In 100 years people are going to look back at our medical treatments in a similar way we look back at "Bloodletting".

ModSocks
02-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Why are people against this again?

ModSocks
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
In 100 years people are going to look back at our medical treatments in a similar way we look back at "Bloodletting".

Which could only mean one thing.

Alien Technology.

loochy
02-02-2011, 11:08 AM

They fear intentional abortions to harvest fetuses for the stem cell material.

FAX
02-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Clearly so.

That experience was shocking to me. And frightening, really. Barbaric. I'll never forget it. Maybe that's why this particular advancement resonated with me so much.

That man was better off dead. I know that, had I been him, I would have been praying for death if not arranging for somebody to shoot me.

FAX

Rain Man
02-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I didn't realize that second degree burns looked so bad. I would've thought those were third degree or worse.

This sounds like great stuff to help people who would otherwise suffer greatly, so bravo to the developers.

By "healed", does that mean that it doesn't hurt or anything? No scars, either? The guy looked perfectly normal, but I don't know if second-degree burns leave scars or not.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM

FAXi had a similar experience myself. I was in a physical rehab facility and was working out beside a fireman that had gotten 3rd degree burns on both arm all the way up to the shoulder. In fact, a couple of his fingers were gone because the burns were so bad. Horrible situation. :(

Talisman
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
They fear intentional abortions to harvest fetuses for the stem cell material.

Hey, it happened in The Matrix...

loochy
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey, it happened in The Matrix...

Talk to teebubya and he might tell you that it is happening as we speak.

Dante84
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I was going to do the ol' "Crazy Fringe Right wingers to send this thread to DC in 3...2..." post, but I see that they showed up on page 1 and I was too late.

Anywhoo... This is pretty amazing stuff. Possibilities are endless. I hope this becomes more widespread very soon, on the off chance I get burned somehow.

Brock
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I was going to do the ol' "Crazy Fringe Right wingers to send this thread to DC in 3...2..." post, but I see that they showed up on page 1 and I was too late..

They did? Where?

Dante84
02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
They did? Where?

There I go, assumin' again.

Uncle_Ted
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
On Neil deGrasse Tyson's PBS show last week they were showing how entire organs are now being grown in labs. The hold-up before was that we could grow the cells, but not the structures. The solution was to use an existing organ from a donor animal (like a pig heart) and then place it in a chemical solution that stripped off all of the cells, leaving the underlying structure intact. Then the patient's own cells could be grown within the structure to create a transplantable organ ... without worrying about rejection.

The show profiled a woman in Spain whose doctor used the technique to grow a new trachea after hers had been ravaged by tuberculosis.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/replacing-body-parts.html

Otter
02-02-2011, 12:28 PM

I have no religious objections just stupid people and parasites on the community living too long is what I fear.

Brock
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Curing disease is fine, helping injured people is fine, but coming up with a way for rich people to live another 50 years sucks.

Baby Lee
02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
On Neil deGrasse Tyson's PBS show last week they were showing how entire organs are now being grown in labs. The hold-up before was that we could grow the cells, but not the structures. The solution was to use an existing organ from a donor animal (like a pig heart) and then place it in a chemical solution that stripped off all of the cells, leaving the underlying structure intact. Then the patient's own cells could be grown within the structure to create a transplantable organ ... without worrying about rejection.

The show profiled a woman in Spain whose doctor used the technique to grow a new trachea after hers had been ravaged by tuberculosis.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/replacing-body-parts.html

Dr. Karev totally romped that shit a few weeks back.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Holy shit! That's simply amazing.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Curing disease is fine, helping injured people is fine, but coming up with a way for rich people to live another 50 years sucks.

Yeah. It'll be the doom of social security. :p

Pants
02-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I have no religious objections just stupid people and parasites on the community living too long is what I fear.

This is where we are heading. I think the eventual limiting factor in our possible immortality is the deteriorating brain function. Once they figure out how to slow that down, look out.

Too bad the world is ending in a little less than 2 years. Oh well.

ThaVirus
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Fucking amazing..

.. So since skin is just a large organ, could this be used to "repair" other organs? Perhaps reverse the effects of cigarrette smoking on lungs, fix heart murmurs, give sight to the blind? Things like that...

ModSocks
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
****ing amazing..

.. So since skin is just a large organ, could this be used to "repair" other organs? Perhaps reverse the effects of cigarrette smoking on lungs, fix heart murmurs, give sight to the blind? Things like that...

Curing Zombies?

cuz that will be the most important in about 2 years.

bevischief
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Since I was a burn victim here about a month before the 09 bash almost didn't make it because I was still recovering. I had a great burn physical therapist at Overland Park Regional she said I had about the 2nd worse burn she had seen in about the 15 plus years since she had been treating patients. This is an amazing treatment.

ThaVirus
02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Curing Zombies?

cuz that will be the most important in about 2 years.

What is it with you and zombies?

Awesome Aric
02-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Damn bro,

That just wasn't funny.

Kidd Lex
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Stem Cell research is going to change medical science forever. I really hope the far far right doesn't stand in the way of any more stem cell research progress. I understand this process gathers them from a routine biopsy and isn't as controversial as fetus stem cells, but I also know stem cells from a fetus are 27 times stronger than adult stem cells. This is where it gets controversial, I believe as long as abortion is legal and happening why not allow at least research to continue. Missouri actually voted on this topic in 2006 and passed a law allowing the research untethered by government regulation. So the people spoke right? Stem cell research may go forward potentially saving, improving, and extending lives for people in desperate need right?!

Not exactly... The religious right led by a group named the Alliance Defense Fund filed an injunction in August 2010 that upholds the ban on embryonic stem cell research making the peoples vote and voice impotent once again. Argh...

The key to future medical advances in my opinion really seems split between nano technology and stem cell research, the latter being strangleheld by hokey extremists no different from Galileo's accusers in the 1600's. His argument concerning a heliocentric solar system may seem rather obvious now what with our space travel, Hubble telescope, observation centers, etc... but remember in his time brilliant people were jailed or put to death for such findings and research because it embarressed the mighty Holy Catholic Church.

“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo

Rain Man
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Yeah, death gets a bad rap, but it's also the only surefire way to stop evil rich people. It doesn't get enough credit for that.

Brock
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah, death gets a bad rap, but it's also the only surefire way to stop evil rich people. It doesn't get enough credit for that.

You're going to break your neck attempting leaps like that.

loochy
02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Wow...that's huge.

That's what she said.

DJJasonp
02-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Which is exactly why you wont see this type of procedure become commonplace.

The global elite already want depopulation - this would obviously be counterproductive to those plans.

On a different note, this reminds me of that movie "Repo Men" (where, in the future, you can buy just about any new body part you need....for a price).

nstygma
02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
i don't recall if this was posted back when it was news, but its very interesting: regenerative powder

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/22/sunday/main3960219.shtml

-King-
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
When I clicked the link it was of them building a beating heart. Still some amazing shit.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
When I clicked the link it was of them building a beating heart. Still some amazing shit.<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eXO_ApjKPaI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>