PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto First time flyer

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm looking for plane tickets for a May flight to Miami from OKC. I've looked at Expedia and Priceline. Are there any other places I should look at? They are ranging from $300-400 with taxes and fees. It seems to be alittle less than $800 for two. I'm just looking for cheaper flights, if it's possible.

Buns
02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Cheap flights or cheap tickets are good sites, I think one of them compares all the sites.
Also good to look for one way tickets rather than round trip.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Southwest sells tickets only on their own website. Smarterliving used to have a service to identify good fares, but I don't know if they still have it. I use orbitz because expedia made me mad once.

DaFace
02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
That seems a little on the high side to me, but you won't find a huge amount of variation between the various sites. I do like bing's travel search, so I'd recommend checking that out. It searches a bunch of different sites at once so you can see if anyone has something cheaper. It'll also give you a recommendation on whether you should buy now or wait for a better price.

Overall, the main drivers of price are the days of the week and the time of day you fly. If you are flexible with regard to when you have to travel, you might find some better prices.

Finally, Southwest doesn't let their prices be searched by other sites, so try their site directly. Not sure if they serve OKC, but if they're cheap enough, it might be worth the drive to Tulsa.

Good luck!

JD10367
02-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Southwest used to be cheap but, at least up here in the northeast, they're more expensive than any other airline. What other airlines have for $250 (with connections), JetBlue has for $300-325 (direct) and Southwest has for $400 (usually direct). I check those two sites directly because they often don't use third-party vendors, and then I check Travelocity.

MIAdragon
02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
The AP in Ft Lauderdale is only a 30 min drive, are you staying in Miami or just passing through?

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Here's travelocity. OKC to Miami roundtrip.

$390 a piece.

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
The AP in Ft Lauderdale is only a 30 min drive, are you staying in Miami or just passing through?

Cruise to cozumel.

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
That seems a little on the high side to me, but you won't find a huge amount of variation between the various sites. I do like bing's travel search, so I'd recommend checking that out. It searches a bunch of different sites at once so you can see if anyone has something cheaper. It'll also give you a recommendation on whether you should buy now or wait for a better price.

Overall, the main drivers of price are the days of the week and the time of day you fly. If you are flexible with regard to when you have to travel, you might find some better prices.

Finally, Southwest doesn't let their prices be searched by other sites, so try their site directly. Not sure if they serve OKC, but if they're cheap enough, it might be worth the drive to Tulsa.

Good luck!

Never noticed that they didn't come up in searches.

On to my next search.

Someone mentioned doing one stop flight searches...is that going to be cheaper? Should I do a flight+hotel option? I think I saw that it was cheaper to book your hotel seperate?

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Hot wire: $447 per person round trip Continental
Priceline: $382 per person round trip. AA

the rest of the sites on cheapflights.com are over 400 per.

DaFace
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Someone mentioned doing one stop flight searches...is that going to be cheaper? Should I do a flight+hotel option? I think I saw that it was cheaper to book your hotel seperate?

Most of your flight search sites will automatically search for both direct flights and one-stops. If you're only searching for directs, I'd definitely recommend looking at one-stops. You can often save quite a bit when flying into/out of smaller airports by not just looking for directs.

As for the latter, I'm not an expert, but I've never been impressed with the discounts I've seen for getting them together.

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Most of your flight search sites will automatically search for both direct flights and one-stops. If you're only searching for directs, I'd definitely recommend looking at one-stops. You can often save quite a bit when flying into/out of smaller airports by not just looking for directs.

As for the latter, I'm not an expert, but I've never been impressed with the discounts I've seen for getting them together.

Yeah, most of them are stopping in Dallas.

This stuff is confusing. trying to find the best deal.

Someone said Ft Lauderdale is 20 minutes from Port of Miami?

Southwest is 442 per. What is the "wanna get away" all about? It's only 154 per.

Bump
02-02-2011, 10:08 PM
be prepared for the longest and one of the worst days of your life.

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
be prepared for the longest and one of the worst days of your life.

No, that's the day before the flight.

DaFace
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah, most of them are stopping in Dallas.

This stuff is confusing. trying to find the best deal.

Someone said Ft Lauderdale is 20 minutes from Port of Miami?

Southwest is 442 per. What is the "wanna get away" all about? It's only 154 per.

As far as I know, that's the price you'd pay. However, I do think Southwest prices for each direction, so that's probably $154 for just one-way or something like that.

teedubya
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
http://hipmunk.com

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
As far as I know, that's the price you'd pay. However, I do think Southwest prices for each direction, so that's probably $154 for just one-way or something like that.

Just saw that. It's still $857 combined. It looks like $390 is the cheapest flights I've found

luv
02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Does Allegiant fly out of OKC? They have extremely cheap flights, but they are limited on flights, and they also charge for picking your seat, baggage, etc.

Dunit35
02-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Does Allegiant fly out of OKC? They have extremely cheap flights, but they are limited on flights, and they also charge for picking your seat, baggage, etc.

Haven't seen them in the search results.

Phobia
02-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Be very careful up there. Apparently there's a lot less room than we ever thought before. There have been 5 additional planets discovered.

stlchiefs
02-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Kayak.com - Compares all the cheap flight websites in one

luv
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Haven't seen them in the search results.

Just like Southwest, the only place they would show up is their own site.

www.allegiantair.com

However, I just checked and they don't. You'd have to come on out to Springfield.

Dunit35
02-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Fees may be charged by airlines for services such as preferred seat selection and baggage handling. Please note that fees are determined by the airline you check in with and may change at anytime.
See fees.

Airline 1st Checked Bag
UNITED $20.00 - $25.00 each way

2nd Checked Bag
$30.00 - $35.00 each way

Continental 1st checked bag
$23.00 - $25.00 each way

2nd checked bag.
$32.00 - $35.00 each way

So, we both have two bags and it will cost us atleast $100 just from the departure flight on United. It stops in Houston and Continental picks us up at a rate of another $110? And then on the return flight it is another $210?

I am confused and feel violated if this is the case.

Dunit35
02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Does any of the airlines do free baggage checks?

How much would a taxi be from Fort Lauderdale to Miami?

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Does any of the airlines do free baggage checks?

How much would a taxi be from Fort Lauderdale to Miami?

Southwest is two. Jetblue is the first one. THe rest are fuckers...which is why I don't fly them even if they are 'cheaper' and I'm not checking a bag.

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Fees may be charged by airlines for services such as preferred seat selection and baggage handling. Please note that fees are determined by the airline you check in with and may change at anytime.
See fees.

Airline 1st Checked Bag
UNITED $20.00 - $25.00 each way

2nd Checked Bag
$30.00 - $35.00 each way

Continental 1st checked bag
$23.00 - $25.00 each way

2nd checked bag.
$32.00 - $35.00 each way

So, we both have two bags and it will cost us atleast $100 just from the departure flight on United. It stops in Houston and Continental picks us up at a rate of another $110? And then on the return flight it is another $210?

I am confused and feel violated if this is the case.

united and continental are merged you should only have to pay one set of fees per flight set(i.e. you pay one baggage fee there and one baggage fee back).

KCScott
02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
try kayak.com - I travel weekly and it's the best comparison site out there.

It Does Not have SWA as someone mentioned earlier

Dunit35
02-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Stupid debit card max daily limits.

Southwest free bag checks 2 tickets $751. Hell yeah, 49 dollars cheaper than I planned.

Cept I have to pay for a taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami.

Rain Man
02-12-2011, 09:25 PM

www.allegiantair.com

However, I just checked and they don't. You'd have to come on out to Springfield.

Wow, those flights are astoundingly cheap. Do you know how much they charge for the other stuff like picking seats and baggage?

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2011, 09:37 PM

www.allegiantair.com

Sounding potentially except the charge for baggage which is annoying and I generally refuse to fly any airline that does.

However it looks like they enjoy a special class. The permaban.

Do you serve snacks or meals on your flights?
For your convenience, Allegiant offers a variety of sodas, juices, alcoholic beverages, snacks and merchandises onboard every flight for purchase. Our high quality selection of onboard items allows you the opportunity to enjoy a refreshing drink, a delicious snack, or to pick up a last minute souvenir from your trip, all of which are available from the comfort of your seat.

If they actually charge for thing like drinks then they fall into the class of airlines that I will never fly....forever....right now in the US only USAIR is in that class. Even though they changed their policy later, I will not fly them ever again because they thought it was a good idea to nickle and dime customers by trying to charge for basic drinks on flights.

Ming the Merciless
02-13-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm looking for plane tickets for a May flight to Miami from OKC. I've looked at Expedia and Priceline. Are there any other places I should look at? They are ranging from $300-400 with taxes and fees. It seems to be alittle less than $800 for two. I'm just looking for cheaper flights, if it's possible.

Find out what airlines fly in and out of OKC with the most frequency, and check directly with those...

Sometimes you can do better than expedia....

Dunit35
02-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Now it's time to find a hotel in between Ft. Lauderdale and Port of Miami.

Anybody have any suggestions? It's just for one night.

bevischief
02-17-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.kayak.com/

Dunit35
02-17-2011, 07:50 PM
How much do cab fares run?

Around 25 miles distance.