PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pro Football Weekly - Pioli knows staying atop division won't be easy

Hammock Parties
02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/20/pioli-knows-staying-atop-division-wont-be-easy

Nice to hear that our GM thinks our season wasn't good enough despite the cries of "it's the second year of the rebuild!"

The Chiefs just completed a campaign in which they went 10-6 and won the AFC West. Coming off a 4-12 record and last-place finish in 2009, that's an accomplishment few thought within reach. It's a perfect example of the unpredictable nature of the NFL, and it's something GM Scott Pioli is fully aware of. That's why he's not taking anything for granted in 2011.

"One season doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the next season, because there's going to be this whole offseason," Pioli told PFW in an exclusive interview. "This season was what it was unto itself. It doesn't necessarily mean anything in next year's 16 games."

For Kansas City to remain atop the division, it not only has to upgrade the roster at a few critical spots, but it also must make sure that key free agents don't leave town. Based on last season's performance, that process likely starts with OLB Tamba Hali.

While Pioli wouldn't discuss specifics in regards to his offseason plans, we hear that Hali, who is set to hit free agency, is first in line for an extension. The fierce pass rusher led the AFC in sacks last season with 14½, adding four forced fumbles. However, we're also told that the two sides aren't remotely close in contract negotiations, which could lead to Hali being slapped with the franchise tag — something that wouldn't please the linebacker's camp.

Another name we're hearing will be re-signed is CB Brandon Carr, who is coming off a terrific campaign. Carr's 26 passes defended ranked him in the league's top five in 2010, and the third-year player also picked off a pass. About to become a restricted free agent, he will be back in Kansas City.

But these aren't the only major dilemmas facing Pioli. He'll also need to decide what to do with aging starters whose contracts are expiring, such as DT Ron Edwards, OLB Mike Vrabel and C Casey Wiegmann. It's going to be a busy time for the GM as he attempts to take the franchise to the next level.

"How far away we are (from being Super Bowl contenders), I don't necessarily look at things through that prism," Pioli said. "Here's what we know: We improved this year, and even with our improvement, it wasn't good enough. So what we know is we need to continue to get better."

Simply Red
02-02-2011, 10:50 PM
U n Me, Scott! 'The Whole Thing'

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Defensively, I've been told that OLB, NT and ILB are priorities.

That should come as no surprise, but it at least confirms what many think need to be addressed.

jd1020
02-02-2011, 11:47 PM

That should come as no surprise, but it at least confirms what many think need to be addressed.

Some would argue that OT is a primary concern.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2011, 11:49 PM

Only idiots.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2011, 11:49 PM

It's interesting that ILB is included, though.

The thumper position must be really important in Crennel's defense.

bowener
02-02-2011, 11:50 PM

God dammit! Don't start that shit in here!

Its like throwing rocks during recess.

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2011, 11:55 PM

And those people should be castrated with a butter knife

J Diddy
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
And those people should be castrated with a butter knife

ROFL

Warm or cold

Dante84
02-03-2011, 12:18 AM
ROFL

Warm or cold

both

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2011, 12:38 AM
It's interesting that ILB is included, though.

The thumper position must be really important in Crennel's defense.

While Belcher certainly improved in 2010, there's no doubt that this team needs to become stronger and tougher up the middle.

On both sides of the ball.

Bowser
02-03-2011, 12:41 AM

I'd be happy as hell if our first three draft picks fell in that order. I'd be even happier if we could land a FA or two to help the offense (WR, RT).

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2011, 12:48 AM
I'd be happy as hell if our first three draft picks fell in that order. I'd be even happier if we could land a FA or two to help the offense (WR, RT).

It's a damn shame that if Pioli hadn't had his head stuck up his ass in 2009, the Chiefs could have had Clay Matthews opposite Hali and in 2010, Sean Lee or Daryl Washington or Brandon Spikes next to DJ (not to mention Koa Misi in 2010).

Drag.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-03-2011, 12:51 AM
It's a damn shame that if Pioli hadn't had his head stuck up his ass in 2009, the Chiefs could have had Clay Matthews opposite Hali and in 2010, Sean Lee or Daryl Washington or Brandon Spikes next to DJ (not to mention Koa Misi in 2010).

Drag.

I guess we could go hire king carl would u like that

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I guess we could go hire king carl would u like that

Shut the fuck up.

You're an annoying little douche. No wonder you're so deep in the red.

And for the record, I'll take Carl's first two drafts over Pioli's ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

At least Carl didn't fuck up the #4 overall selection.

Ahem.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Shut the **** up.

And for the record, I'll take Carl's first two drafts over Pioli's ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

At least Carl didn't **** up the #4 overall selection.

Ahem.

Lol your not happy unless you are bitching ........ Stop judging jackson if he sucks next year then you can its called wait 3 years to judge a draft class.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Lol your not happy unless you are bitching ........ Stop judging jackson if he sucks next year then you can its called wait 3 years to judge a draft class.

Oh, just please shut the fuck up.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Shut the fuck up.

At least Carl didn't fuck up the #4 overall selection.

Ahem.

Carl's first two drafts actually suck.

He scored DT, Tim Grunhard, Dave Szott and not much else. Todd McNair if you want to reach.

Pioli's problem is that his first year was so awful that he's still paying for it. He'd probably look a lot better if the Chiefs had brought in at least one starter and one solid contributor instead of nothing.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Carl's first two drafts actually suck.

He scored DT, Tim Grunhard, Dave Szott and not much else. Todd McNair if you want to reach.

Pioli's problem is that his first year was so awful that he's still paying for it. He'd probably look a lot better if the Chiefs had brought in at least one starter and one solid contributor instead of nothing.

LMAO

Yeah, that Derrick Thomas guy was awful.

Grunhard and Szott were 10 year players. McNair was a very good clutch receiver out of the backfield.

I'll take a HOFer over Tyson Jackson any day of the week.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2011, 01:01 AM
LMAO

Yeah, that Derrick Thomas guy was awful.

Go and look at the drafts. I'd pose that neither were as good as Pioli's 2010 draft.

Carl, like Pioli, got pretty lucky that the previous regime left him with a lot of talent.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Go and look at the drafts. I'd pose that neither were as good as Pioli's 2010 draft.

Carl, like Pioli, got pretty lucky that the previous regime left him with a lot of talent.

Percy Snow was becoming a helluva player in his rookie season and it's a damn shame his career ended with a dopey moped accident.

Derrick Graham was a solid contributor for years along the offensive line, as was Tim Grunhard.

Carl also did an excellent job in free agency his first two seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I gave the 2010 draft an "A" before and after the season. But Carl did more to add productive personnel his first two seasons than Pioli, and that was WAY before scouting exists as it does today.

And unless someone from either the 2009 or 2010 draft becomes a HOFer, it's going to be difficult to surpass the 1989 draft. You were probably too young to remember but there was a great debate about whether Broderick Thomas or Derrick Thomas projected better at the next level.

Carl got it right and for that, he deserves kudos.

Chiefs=Champions
02-03-2011, 01:57 AM

Anything else you can tell us mate?

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Percy Snow was becoming a helluva player in his rookie season and it's a damn shame his career ended with a dopey moped accident.

Derrick Graham was a solid contributor for years along the offensive line, as was Tim Grunhard.

Carl also did an excellent job in free agency his first two seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I gave the 2010 draft an "A" before and after the season. But Carl did more to add productive personnel his first two seasons than Pioli, and that was WAY before scouting exists as it does today.

And unless someone from either the 2009 or 2010 draft becomes a HOFer, it's going to be difficult to surpass the 1989 draft. You were probably too young to remember but there was a great debate about whether Broderick Thomas or Derrick Thomas projected better at the next level.

Carl got it right and for that, he deserves kudos.
for what ever right Carl did, he sure as heck wiped it out with the hire of Herm Edwards

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
for what ever right Carl did, he sure as heck wiped it out with the hire of Herm Edwards

Dick Vermeil's hiring and tenure was far, far worse than Herm's.

And it isn't even close.

DBOSHO
02-03-2011, 11:15 AM
When was tyson jackson the #4 overall pick?