PDA

View Full Version : Life Have you ever been scammed?

Jenson71
02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I almost got scammed today. So close. I almost gave someone $46 for a magazine subscription. But when I got the people out of the apartment, I got the check back with an excuse, ripped it up, and told them to leave.

I'm damaged now. I used to be so trusting of people. No one has ever tried to outright steal from me. It pisses me off that 1) I didn't say no right away and 2) that people do this.

Yeah, it's a learning moment. I'm glad that ultimately nothing happened, but I'm disappointed in myself and in people right now.

Anyone got scam stories? I hate thieves. If you are a thief, AIDS tree yourself now.

Frazod
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I got burned by some scumbags in Norfolk with the 3 card monte thing when I was 19. Was riding a bus to Military Circle Mall. One got on at one stop, the other got on two stops later, ignored each other for a few minutes, then started playing. Fuckers got me hook line and sinker. Don't remember how much they got, but it was enough to be painful.

However, the best learning experiences are.

EDIT - it was certainly less than $250, since I was an E-nothing and didn't have a pot to piss in at the time.

eazyb81
You didn't really explain how you almost got scammed.

WebGem
Try 25k

Yeah not fun

listopencil
02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Never. I'm incredibly suspicious in real life.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I was approached by a woman with a dog a couple of years ago. She said she was really embarrassed, but she had just become homeless the day before and had no idea what to do. And her eyes teared up and her lip quivered and I gave her five bucks, primarily because of the dog. Then for the next year and a half I'd see her on the street telling other people the exact same story, including approaching me twice more. I asked her for my five dollars back, but she wouldn't return it.

DeezNutz
02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I bought a Chiefs hat before the '06 playoff game.

eazyb81
02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
And yes, I remember explicitly a time in my high school days I was scammed when trying to purchase a "recreational" item.

I still remember the guy's name and have sworn to f#ck him over eventually.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Try 25k

Yeah not fun

(Waving webgem over.) Let's hear it.

eazyb81
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Try 25k

Yeah not fun

You can't just throw that out and not follow it up with a story.....

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I got burned by some scumbags in Norfolk with the 3 card monte thing when I was 19. Was riding a bus to Military Circle Mall. One got on at one stop, the other got on two stops later, ignored each other for a few minutes, then started playing. ****ers got me hook line and sinker. Don't remember how much they got, but it was enough to be painful.

However, the best learning experiences are.

When did you figure out that they were working together? I'm not sure I ever would've figured that out.

notorious
02-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I got hit up by a guy carrying a card on Cherry Street in Tulsa that said,"I'm deaf, blah, blah, blah, donate 3 dollars, blah, blah"

I gave him a 5, and when he walked away my asshole buddy ran up on him and yelled really loud. The guy jumped about 10 feet in the air.

It was worth losing 5 bucks. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I sold more than $3,000 dollars worth of electronic equipment to some questionable people. I was given a cashier's check for the full dollar amount and two weeks after depositing said check, it came back as being stolen.

I was out the equipment and the cash, which really hurt because I was broke as fuck at the time.

My advice to anyone selling anything of value for cash, money order, Western Union or cashier's check is this:

Trust your gut.

Jenson71
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
You didn't really explain how you almost got scammed.

Two kids my age come over earlier today, give me this line about doing some college competition, selling magazines. They schmooze, and the leader is a real talker. They ask me to put down three magazines I'd like. It's like one of those things kids in school send to their relatives for fundraisers. So, I'm thinking, okay, I'll get a magazine. They have a discount on Atlantic. They tell me the company that does this thing while I'm writing the check. I say that I'm going to check online about the Atlantic magazine, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It is. I also check out the company name and google that.

Lrumar Publications

Fraud. What should I do? I write them a check, and then soon after, I go outside and say, "Hey, actually I want another magazine, I can write you a new check." I take my check back and rip it up and tell them to get out of here.

notorious
02-04-2011, 04:49 PM
I had a friend fall for the "White Van" scam.

:facepalm:

Chiefs Rool
oh I hate those "hey buy some magazines so I can go to spring break and have fun!" people.

I got in a fist fight with one once, I was living in an apartment complex and I was walking to my door and this guy asks me "are you nice?" I'm like "ya, why?" then he goes on about how none of "these asssholes" around here won't buy his magazines. I say something like "well no shit" and he starts yelling at me and he is walking very fast towards me while yelling and we brawl. I whooped his ass, called the cops and he went to jail, lol.

listopencil
And yes, I remember explicitly a time in my high school days I was scammed when trying to purchase a "recreational" item.

Dildo had a crack in it, eh?

Pants
Hah, I paid this dude $45 for the same magazine thing just to get him the fuck out.

teedubya
Yeah, I'm spammed daily... my inbox is full of it.

DeezNutz
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM

What?

Bwana
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Other than the "can't miss" IPO stock tip from a relative, no.

eazyb81
02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Dildo had a crack in it, eh?

Correct, only it was a butt plug.

Baby Lee
02-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Particle board and paper cones, eh?

Just got back from a custom audio installation and had these left over, can't take them back to the warehouse, guess I could let them go for 40 cents on the dollar.

Frazod
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
When did you figure out that they were working together? I'm not sure I ever would've figured that out.

It all came together afterwards - as soon as they got me they immediately got off the bus - one at one stop, then one at the next. I watched them walk towards each other as the bus pulled away. There were also a couple of guys who watched it happen and said nothing as well - the looks on their smirking faces confirmed my suspicions. I apparently my dumbassery provided great theater for them. Bastards.

Do I wish they would have said something BEFORE I got clipped? Sure. And I have saved a couple of people from getting screwed in the same situation.

But on the other hand, sometimes perhaps it is better to just let it happen. Either way, lesson learned.

I'll take Mistakes We Only Make Once for $1,000, Alex. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
Try 25k

Yeah not fun

How?

Never heard of it.

notorious
What?

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=An3TB8udq5kRU5meb0T0cKybvZx4?p=white+van+scam&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Happened in Tulsa on south Peoria (I know, I know).

He fell for it, and I got hit up several times in Tulsa when I lived there. I was smart enough to know it was bullshit, though.

My brother even called me in Dodge City asking me if he should buy speakers from some guys in a white van with top of the line stereo equipment! I told him to get the fuck away from those losers.

notorious
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Particle board and paper cones, eh?

Just got back from a custom audio installation and had these left over, can't take them back to the warehouse, guess I could let them go for 40 cents on the dollar.

Thats the one. ROFL

I was and still am into the best in car audio and home audio equipment. In other words, I really know my shit.

When they hit me up at an intersection in town I laughed my ass off and drove away.

They had some retarded story like,"We accidentally got delivered two sets of these XYZ brand speakers, and my boss told me to sale them for $1200 as soon as I can. They are worth over $10000!"

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=An3TB8udq5kRU5meb0T0cKybvZx4?p=white+van+scam&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Happened in Tulsa on south Peoria (I know, I know).

He fell for it, and I got hit up several times in Tulsa when I lived there. I was smart enough to know it was bullshit, though.

My brother even called me in Dodge City asking me if he should buy speakers from some guys in a white van with top of the line stereo equipment! I told him to get the fuck away from those losers.

Oh wow. I've been approached in the Seattle area about those. I never bought though.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2011, 04:59 PM
some man with some candy and a van when i was a kid.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
some man with some candy and a van when i was a kid.

http://burgerbloke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/free_candy_van.jpg

Iowanian
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I bought into a bio-diesel plant.

Other than the time I was 12 years old delivering papers and the creepy van pulled up slow and offerene me candy just to talk...it has been the worst I've been raped.

*dammit...beaten to the candy van.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
I almost got scammed today. So close. I almost gave someone $46 for a magazine subscription. But when I got the people out of the apartment, I got the check back with an excuse, ripped it up, and told them to leave.

I'm damaged now. I used to be so trusting of people. No one has ever tried to outright steal from me. It pisses me off that 1) I didn't say no right away and 2) that people do this.

Yeah, it's a learning moment. I'm glad that ultimately nothing happened, but I'm disappointed in myself and in people right now.

Anyone got scam stories? I hate thieves. If you are a thief, AIDS tree yourself now.

Get burnt for $17500.00 by a general contractor after ya spend 59 hours on a coustom ceiling and tape/paint his million dollar new home then come talk to me

Yes i'm talking about YOU Mr & Mrs . Dave& Nicole Whittle owners of Koracon Homes, Paridise Newfoundland
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=127+Summit+dr+Paradise+NL&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=127+Summit+Dr,+Paradise,+Division+No.+1,+Newfoundland+and+Labrador+A1L+2P4&gl=ca&ll=47.538545,-52.908686&spn=0,0.001502&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=47.538445,-52.908632&panoid=IlH9OY41ezGmJ6fL_GFIjA&cbp=12,239.82,,0,-9.15

notorious
Oh wow. I've been approached in the Seattle area about those. I never bought though.

Your spidey senses saved the day.

Mr. Flopnuts

Yep. That happened to me once. I don't really know what he was thinking. He clearly didn't either by the time I was done with him. We went to school together.

notorious
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Get burnt for $17500.00 by a general contractor after ya spend 59 ghours on a coustom ceiling and tape/paint his million dollar new home then come talk to me

Yes i'm talking about YOU Mr & Mrs . Dave& Nicole Whittle owners of Koracon Homes, Paridise Newfoundland
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=127+Summit+dr+Paradise+NL&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=127+Summit+Dr,+Paradise,+Division+No.+1,+Newfoundland+and+Labrador+A1L+2P4&gl=ca&ll=47.538545,-52.908686&spn=0,0.001502&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=47.538445,-52.908632&panoid=IlH9OY41ezGmJ6fL_GFIjA&cbp=12,239.82,,0,-9.15

Oh ****.

The worst I've been burnt on is $4000 for an unpaid balance of a White Oak Floor.

Collections are still working on them.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Your spidey senses saved the day.

Sheer luck. This was about 12 years ago, and I've always been a bargain hunter. At the time though, I just didn't want to spend that much money. By the time they kept lowering the price they would take, I knew it didn't make sense.

notorious
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Sheer luck. This was about 12 years ago, and I've always been a bargain hunter. At the time though, I just didn't want to spend that much money. By the time they kept lowering the price they would take, I knew it didn't make sense.

I have read on the internet they go down to $100.

Hell, my brother almost got burned, and he is a smart man. Thank God he called me to ask about the brand.

teedubya
02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
The first time I got a Nigerian email scam back in 1997... I almost fell for it. I just knew I was going to be rich... lmao

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Get burnt for $17500.00 by a general contractor after ya spend 59 hours on a coustom ceiling and tape/paint his million dollar new home then come talk to me

Oh, yeah. I had the Ianni Group, a Denver marketing firm run by incredibly unattractive people, stiff me on a bill. They lied to us for a year or more and then sent us a photocopied form letter saying that they had chosen not to pay any of their vendors because they'd had a bad year or something like that. I really think that should be criminal theft since they'd already been paid for our work by the end client.

Dave Lane
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
My list is long and distinguished. Not the Nigerian kind of scam more people that worked for me kinda scams. I'm sure its into the 100's of thousands over the years.

CHENZ A!
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I bought some J's off ebay that turned out to be knockoffs. No one can tell if I'm wearing them, but I know, and it pisses me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
The first time I got a Nigerian email scam back in 1997... I almost fell for it. I just knew I was going to be rich... lmao

I actually got one of those in a mailed letter back before the Internet, and I read it about three times trying to figure it out. The funny thing, though, was that the letter was obviously photocopied. If you don't pay attention to the details, your venture is doomed.

It seems like the cost of mailings would destroy their whole business model.

notorious
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I bought some J's off ebay that turned out to be knockoffs. No one can tell if I'm wearing them, but I know, and it pisses me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Va-J's?

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh ****.

The worst I've been burnt on is $4000 for an unpaid balance of a White Oak Floor.

Collections are still working on them.

Laws in NL are basically ya aint got a pot to piss in.
You got 30 days after you finish the job to have a lien in place, (wh8ich includes the client being informed by sherriff) NOT 30 off invoice.

Got a few grand outa it, but will never see the rest. My laywer even said take it, and write it the rest off. It's all you can do.

With it being a civil matter he can play the "sorry i'm not avaliable for that court date" game forever like it's been done to several others.

Very expensive lesson, but now i'm 3-5 days COD off invoice with 15.9% intrest per month or any part of.
First time contractors are COD as soon as I drop the pole sander, or pack up my paint sprayer depending on the job.

At 14 I start the lien process NO EXCEPTIONS.

notorious
02-04-2011, 05:15 PM
You got 30 days after you finish the job to have a lien in place, (wh8ich includes the client being informed by sherriff) NOT 30 off invoice.

Got a few grand outa it, but will never see the rest. My laywer even said take it, and write it the rest off. It's all you can do.

With it being a civil matter he can play the "sorry i'm not avaliable for that court date" game forever like it's been done to several others.

Very expensive lesson, but now i'm 3-5 days COD off invoice with 15.9% intrest per month or any part of.
First time contractors are COD as soon as I drop the pole sander, or pack up my paint sprayer depending on the job.

At 14 I lay liens.

Wow.

I need to be harder on my customers that don't pay.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM

At 14 I start the lien process NO EXCEPTIONS.

I would spend money plastering their thieving asses all over that island if it were me. I'd post copies of the contract in the local newspapers as well as copies of checks (sorry Canuck, cheques) and basically label them as deadbeats. That's a small community. It would probably humiliate them.

Iowanian
02-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Late this fall, we were moving my brother into his new house...which is alone on the end of a lane. We were in the back, unloading guns and were looking over some of the collection.

About that time, we heard someone holler as they came around the house....It was the guy in the meat truck who "Just had someone back out and if he can sell this last little bit he can go home".....heard it before.

He walks around the corner to see 3 of us holding AR's and the other brother is just about to crack off a .308 round just as he came into site.

That's the closest I've seen a scammer physically turn their butthole inside out by leaving so fast.

Iowanian
02-04-2011, 05:22 PM
My list is long and distinguished. Not the Nigerian kind of scam more people that worked for me kinda scams. I'm sure its into the 100's of thousands over the years.

Hey there Dave....have I got a deal for you to help you unscrew yourself over those past experiences....sit down and lets talk for a while...no pressure but this is happening now and I'm going to talk to another guy at dinner.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Wow.

I need to be harder on my customers that don't pay.

man it rotts me.
I spent 16 stright 18 hour days taping this house solo.
6900 floor space, over 3 floors.
Main room was 20ft x 20ft x 20ft high (thats the room with the medallion in it.)

I invoiced middle of teh following week, waited for him to trim it, then the fucker just waited another week of dodging my calls, and actually hiding his truck down around the back of this house in the Snow mobile garage till all the subs he had stiffed had waited their turn.

Even the wife got snowed by this clown...he's that smooth a talker.
Oh well, one of these days ill win the lotto...and Mr Karma is gonna pay him a visit :evil:

DaFace
02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Sigh...

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145722

trndobrd
02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
man it rotts me.
I spent 16 stright 18 hour days taping this house solo.
6900 floor space, over 3 floors.
Main room was 20ft x 20ft x 20ft high (thats the room with the medallion in it.)

I invoiced middle of teh following week, waited for him to trim it, then the ****er just waited another week of dodging my calls, and actually hiding his truck down around the back of this house in the Snow mobile garage till all the subs he had stiffed had waited their turn.

Even the wife got snowed by this clown...he's that smooth a talker.
Oh well, one of these days ill win the lotto...and Mr Karma is gonna pay him a visit :evil:

Sometimes Karma visits in the middle of the night with Never Grow and spells "DEADBEAT" in the lawn. It's been known to happen.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Sigh...

You ever recoup any money from that?

trndobrd
02-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Sigh...

Between the ticket scam and that Colorado Job scam you got hooked into, that's pretty tough.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Between the ticket scam and that Colorado Job scam you got hooked into, that's pretty tough.

Hey, he'll get paid eventually. The payroll company has just messed up his enrollment form for the past several years. I'll get it fixed.

DaFace
You ever recoup any money from that?

Na. I could've tried to get his wages garnished, but he was in it for over $100k in total from people, and he's still in jail today. It was at the end of my college career, and I decided to stop beating myself up about it and move on with life. Buried my evidence file in the back of a drawer and let it go.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of dough, but the amount of effort I would have had to go through to get any of it would have been incredible. I just decided to move on and chalk it up to a really expensive lesson learned.

ModSocks
Purchased a counterfeit "CHI" flat Iron on Craigs list. If anyone has a wife that uses one of these, you know exactly how ridiculously over priced these things are.

thought i'd go cheap and snag one off of Craigslist to replace her broken one. I knew there were counterfeit pieces out there so i did my homework.

Or so i thought.

Later i realized how elaborate the scam was. Apparently counterfeit beauty products is a huge industry. The scammers put all sorts of misinformation online on various websites on how to distinguish a fake CHI vs a real CHI.

Of course all the info led you to believe the fake one was the real one. Purchased it. Took it home. Instantly she said, "This is fake". She could tell instantly by the amount of travel in the "Floating Ceramic Plates".

It was only 40 bucks....but still....****ers.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Na. I could've tried to get his wages garnished, but he was in it for over $100k in total from people, and he's still in jail today. It was at the end of my college career, and I decided to stop beating myself up about it and move on with life. Buried my evidence file in the back of a drawer and let it go.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of dough, but the amount of effort I would have had to go through to get any of it would have been incredible. I just decided to move on and chalk it up to a really expensive lesson learned.

Yeah. You could also incur additional expense and have him change jobs or whatnot, and still not get anything. If he's still in jail, the chances of that guy ever making any honest money is slim and none. I missed the original thread, sorry it happened man. Thieves suck. Hopefully this one is in jail swallowing.

salame
02-04-2011, 05:37 PM
http://themavesite.com/TMS-Pictures/2010-11/ItsMyPig.jpg

KurtCobain
02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I bought a playoff ticket this year.

cdcox
02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
"I know where you got those shoes!"

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
$10 by a meth head.

Bugeater
02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Never been straight-up 'scammed', although in my younger years I had a few instances where I sold someone something, and stupidly accepted part of the money with the promise that the rest would be paid at a later time, and of course I never saw the rest of the money.

As far as the magazine subscription thing, that's been going on for decades, I'm surprised people still fall for it. We had one come to the door quite a few years ago, and I was working in the garage while the scam artist lady gave my wife the spiel at the door. I quietly listened as I did my work, and after the scam artist was finished with her presentation my wife asked what I thought of the deal. I responded by saying "You wanna know what I think? I think it's a goddamn scam, and I think this lady needs to get the hell out of here". They were both speechless, and the scam artist lady said "ok" and slithered off. I haven't had one show up at my door since.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh, yeah. I had the Ianni Group, a Denver marketing firm run by incredibly unattractive people, stiff me on a bill. They lied to us for a year or more and then sent us a photocopied form letter saying that they had chosen not to pay any of their vendors because they'd had a bad year or something like that. I really think that should be criminal theft since they'd already been paid for our work by the end client.Yeah really Kev, you do teh job, their always happy, right till they start ignoring your request for payment.
Buddy of mine ownes a sign shop, long and short is a former client who owes him 10K called to ask if they would come "shorten up a sign" as the city historical law enforcement board deemed it a foot too high and were giving him a choice of fix it, or they would for $5k, a bloody year after dude stiffed him.

Bugeater
02-04-2011, 06:09 PM

You get $17,500 for 59 hours worth of work? That's $296/hr.

Bugeater
02-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Oh wait, those are probably metric dollars.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:10 PM
I would spend money plastering their thieving asses all over that island if it were me. I'd post copies of the contract in the local newspapers as well as copies of checks (sorry Canuck, cheques) and basically label them as deadbeats. That's a small community. It would probably humiliate them. Not one bit....(happened in teh city by the way) but 99% of em here are the same which is why I've only ever done 2 homes on teh Island I live on :p
Guy I havent even spoken too in over a year, shows up on my door step last week looking for ANOTHER freebie.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
You get $17,500 for 59 hours worth of work? That's $296/hr. no that was for all 3, tape/paint/Custom ceiling
Although if ya want plaster crown were talking $150 per hour and up

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Oh wait, those are probably metric dollars.
Spoken like a true uneducated hick Yankie.
Ya want to star pissing on my countries currancy Nancy boy,,,at least make ****en sure were MORE than a penny off par
Or at the very least YOURS is worth more than our "metric bucks" :p.
Your prescious Green back is only worth .99 at close of buisness today sir :eek:

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/converter.html
On 04 Feb 2011, 1.00 U.S. dollar(s) = 0.99 Canadian dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 0.9901 (using nominal rate.)

Bugeater
02-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Spoken like a true uneducated hick Yankie.
Ya want to star pissing on my countries currancy Nancy boy,,,at least make fucken sure were MORE than a penny off par
Or at the very least YOURS is worth more than our "metric bucks" :p.
Your Green back is only worth .99 at close of buisness today :eek:

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/converter.html
On 04 Feb 2011, 1.00 U.S. dollar(s) = 0.99 Canadian dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 0.9901 (using nominal rate.)
How many cms is that?

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
How many cms is that?
If you lived in any other but the 1 industeralized nation left on earth who does not use metric you'd know that answer.:rolleyes:

Bugeater
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
If you lived in any other but the 1 industeralized nation left on earth who does not use metric you'd know that answer.:rolleyes:
So what are the dimensions of a sheet of drywall up there anyway? Do you guys build using the metric system?

KurtCobain
02-04-2011, 06:39 PM
So what are the dimensions of a sheet of drywall up there anyway? Do you guys build using the metric system?

Maple syrup is their glue.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Maple syrup is their glue.
And you bunch are stunned enough to buy it :thumb:

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM

You should really move up here, I mean with metric measurment, you might actually have something between your leggs worth talking about

patteeu
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Don't feel too bad, millions of Americans were scammed back in November of 2008 despite numerous warning signs.

KurtCobain
02-04-2011, 06:44 PM
And you bunch are stunned enough to buy it :thumb:

It's not the first glue I've ever ingested.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I bet all the people who said they haven't been scammed have been scammed and didn't know it.

Bugeater
02-04-2011, 06:54 PM
You should really move up here, I mean with metric measurment, you might actually have something between your leggs worth talking about
That was actually a serious question. I'm guessing by the angry tone of your posts that you're stuck using our fucked up system.

KurtCobain
02-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I bet all the people who said they haven't been scammed have been scammed and didn't know it.

According to FAX, you may have recently been scammed by midgets at your mall.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 06:58 PM
THIS

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
It's not the first glue I've ever ingested.:thumb:
I use to haul a shit load of it outa Quebec every year, stuff was worth it`s weight in gold in the FL and TX

MagicHef
02-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I had a strange one a couple weeks ago, I was contacted for a job, and did a couple phone interviews and one interview in person. They said that they wanted to hire me, but the job was halfway across the country for at least the first 12 weeks and my family wasn't allowed to come (which is really weird, were they going to ban my family from entering the city or something?) Also, the position paid about $20,000 less than my last job. I tried doing some research on the company, and I don't think they really exist. They apparently don't have any offices in the cities they say they do, they exist literally nowhere on the internet save their own website (full of obvious stock photos), and they are not members of any of the societies or associations that they claim to be. I'm still not sure what they wanted from me.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 08:18 PM
According to FAX, you may have recently been scammed by midgets at your mall.

That's proof right there. I could've sworn otherwise, but once he spelled it out, I realized I'd been had.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I had a strange one a couple weeks ago, I was contacted for a job, and did a couple phone interviews and one interview in person. They said that they wanted to hire me, but the job was halfway across the country for at least the first 12 weeks and my family wasn't allowed to come (which is really weird, were they going to ban my family from entering the city or something?) Also, the position paid about $20,000 less than my last job. I tried doing some research on the company, and I don't think they really exist. They apparently don't have any offices in the cities they say they do, they exist literally nowhere on the internet save their own website (full of obvious stock photos), and they are not members of any of the societies or associations that they claim to be. I'm still not sure what they wanted from me.

That's really weird. Since they don't exist, what's the name of the company? I'm very curious about this now.

patteeu
02-04-2011, 08:23 PM

I bet you almost got sold into slavery.

JD10367
02-04-2011, 08:28 PM

Ever wake up in a tub full of ice cubes with stitches in your side and a note saying to call 911?

JD10367
02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Of course I've been scammed. I got married.

KCBOSS1
02-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I bought two 50 yard-line tickets Herm's last year and Damon Huard was quarterback..... like $400. I still shiver to think about it.

MagicHef
02-04-2011, 08:43 PM
That's really weird. Since they don't exist, what's the name of the company? I'm very curious about this now.

I sent you a PM.

I bet you almost got sold into slavery.

Ever wake up in a tub full of ice cubes with stitches in your side and a note saying to call 911?

Honestly, I'm trying not to think too much about what would have happened.

Lumpy
02-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I can honestly say that I've never been scammed personally, but the company I work for got shafted a few years back. We had printed up various items for a highly reputable cosmetic company located in Cali, (owned by an actress, from a very popular sitcom in the 80's... I'll just keep it at that. lol). The printed goods, however, were ordered by her local "team members" here in Omaha.

Long story short... A total of 9 months or so went by after this company was provided with the printed goods and an invoice. We still didn't receive payment, so I contacted them and was told to contact the owner. Ok, no problem. I was given the number and spoke to her.

She claimed that her local "team members" had quit and she wasn't going to pay the invoice. I stated, "sorry, not my problem" and that they were employed by her company when they ordered the goods. She still refused to acknowledge that she was responsible for the charges. We went back and forth, phone call after phone call for a few more months... finally my boss just said fuck it and wrote it off.

Oh well. She's washed up anyway, doesn't have an acting career now, and her business is probably failing. Regardless, she needed to pay her bill.

KurtCobain
02-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Jenson got scammed out of a bunch of posts.

Hootie
02-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I let an asshole acquaintance borrow $50 this summer...got the dude A JOB (as well as two more interviews)...he had some drug problems and his best friend had just died a few months back...so he was somewhat messed up

Got him a job that paid him $1,000 for a week of work...bought him 3 lunches and loaned him $50 (with the understanding he'd pay me back when he cashed the $1K check)...

Got the check early and wouldn't return my texts asking for the money back...

Some people are just bad people...went out of my way to help a guy out who was nothing more than a "casual friend"...and he dicked me over...sometimes I'm just too nice.

88TG88
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Maybe it was the CIA. You couldve been an agent !!

Bugeater
02-04-2011, 10:20 PM
I sent you a PM.
Bullshit dude, if you're going to throw it out on the board you need to give us all the name of the company.

Pioli Zombie
02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah I thought Cassel was going to be really goooood

SLAG
02-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Dude came to my door offering Oil change/ car coupons...
Seemed like a good deal for $20 including 2 free oil changes...

So i told him I would call the company on the card and if they said it was legit i would buy it

He even gave me his cell to call... the guy answers at the shop and says stay away.. they stopped that promotion 3 months ago and they have had reports of douchebags selling the extras that will not be honored

Handed him his phone, told him sorry and he left with his tail between his legs

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 11:50 PM
I sent you a PM.

Honestly, I'm trying not to think too much about what would have happened.

Dude, I looked that company up in all three states where they claim to have an office and in the state where they claim to have been founded. There is no legal company by that name in any of those states.

Maybe there's some chance that they did a DBA thing and have a different formal name, but the fact that they claim all of those projects and yet don't have a single google hit - as in zero - makes me agree with you that it's some sort of scam. But what the heck kind of scam are they running?

Seriously, you should report them to the Attorney General or Secretary of State in your state. Something's going on there.

Did the guy in your interview seem skanky?

Simply Red
02-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Craig's List is the only time I got truly pwned. It sucked.

Simply Red
02-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Dude, I looked that company up in all three states where they claim to have an office and in the state where they claim to have been founded. There is no legal company by that name in any of those states.

Maybe there's some chance that they did a DBA thing and have a different formal name, but the fact that they claim all of those projects and yet don't have a single google hit - as in zero - makes me agree with you that it's some sort of scam. But what the heck kind of scam are they running?

Seriously, you should report them to the Attorney General or Secretary of State in your state. Something's going on there.

MagicHef is a mental-ninja, he has sensed it in the making. Love that guy.

Simply Red
02-05-2011, 12:04 AM

No physical addy in their contacts, i guess? Just makin' sure? Recent company name change??

Imon Yourside
02-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Ya i received an email saying that if i gave said person(some kind of royalty) my bank account number they would fill it up to i believe it was 5 milon us dolurz and it would only cost me $500 up front, at this point i'm thinking what a deal and proceeded to make a long list of things i would need after receiving the money. I mean i already had the 3 yachts i wanted picked out. So i sent this really important individual whose husband had just deceased the $500 and my bank account number along with my social security number and drivers license number.

To my dismay i waited almost 4 years for the money, and i'm still waiting....i'm not sure if i posted in the correct thread or not. would this qualify as a scam? I'm still holding out hope but i have to say all those things i had picked out have increased in price since then, should i request more money?

morphius
02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah, some bastard asked if I wanted to be a site admin here and then he left.

Simply Red
02-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah, some bastard asked if I wanted to be a site admin here and then he left.

ha, good to see you here, actually.

and who? Phil, I guess? -- I'm not all 'August 2000' mmmkay?!?! :evil:

Simply Red
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Morph WTF ended up winning the Aussie? I only watched a few sets, total.

morphius
02-05-2011, 12:16 AM
ha, good to see you here, actually.

and who? Phil, I guess? -- I'm not all 'August 2000' mmmkay?!?! :evil:
htismaque, lol

morphius
02-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Morph WTF ended up winning the Aussie? I only watched a few sets, total.
I actually missed it, I watched some of the early matches but have been pretty busy.

Simply Red
02-05-2011, 12:49 AM
me too, Roddick is a horrid choke artist, the USA only really has Marty Fish and Robbie G. - not too much going for it, really.

Alrighty, pussy me out, i'm crashin! lol

KC native
02-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Not going to read the thread cause I'm drunk but anyone who is over 22 and says they haven't been scammed at one point and time in their life is full of shit.

Everyone falls for a scam at one point and time. You either learn from it and move on or you keep getting scammed.

Lumpy
02-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Not going to read the thread cause I'm drunk but anyone who is over 22 and says they haven't been scammed at one point and time in their life is full of shit.

Everyone falls for a scam at one point and time. You either learn from it and move on or you keep getting scammed.

Hey! Shut your hole you drunk bastard! Gonzo and I clearly told the crazy, Russian, Rainbow Vac guys to fuck off. That was about as close as we've been to getting scammed.

So... suck it! :p

Oh wait, I forgot about the hobo that took us for $5.00, then we saw his ass hop in his Hummer. Ah hell, that doesn't count, it was only $5.00.

Drunk? Who? You?

02-05-2011, 01:39 AM
If I have been scammed. I still don't know it. So I am holding out hope that I have never been scammed.

Yeah right.

MagicHef
02-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Bullshit dude, if you're going to throw it out on the board you need to give us all the name of the company.

If I wrote the name of the company, this thread would become the #1 google result for that name. I don't think I want them to find this thread.

MagicHef
02-05-2011, 03:03 AM

I've heard of scams to get work out of someone for a month or so and not pay them, then when the victim tries to file legal action, there's no real company to file against. However, I'm an engineer. An engineer can't do anything in a month, so I really don't know what they wanted.

The guy didn't really seem all that weird, except he seemed to be unable to speak in anything other than clichés.

MagicHef
02-05-2011, 03:07 AM
No physical addy in their contacts, i guess? Just makin' sure? Recent company name change??

They gave an address, but their company wasn't listed there. In fact, there are no companies in the same industry listed there either.

Rain Man
02-05-2011, 03:14 AM
I've heard of scams to get work out of someone for a month or so and not pay them, then when the victim tries to file legal action, there's no real company to file against. However, I'm an engineer. An engineer can't do anything in a month, so I really don't know what they wanted.

The guy didn't really seem all that weird, except he seemed to be unable to speak in anything other than clichés.

Maybe, but their project examples are so vague that I don't think they're real. I write project blurbs all the time, and looking at those, they don't sound real.

If it was a free work scam it seems like they'd offer to pay you more than you were making before. That's the confusing part. If they were wanting free work they'd make you a big offer so you'd be sure to come. And like I said, I question whether they're even doing work.

They wanted you there for a while without your family, which is odd. I almost wonder if their scam is real estate and they have some unrelated company that gives you expensive short-term rent on an apartment. Or maybe if you got serious they'd have some sort of "hiring fee" that you had to pay.

Weird stuff.

JD10367
02-05-2011, 08:17 AM

My good sir, may I point out that you are the most eloquent drunk poster I've seen. Not a single typo there, just a few punctuation issues that can be easily overlooked. How come you're more articulate drunk than many people here are when they're sober? :D

JD10367
02-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Maybe, but their project examples are so vague that I don't think they're real. I write project blurbs all the time, and looking at those, they don't sound real.

If it was a free work scam it seems like they'd offer to pay you more than you were making before. That's the confusing part. If they were wanting free work they'd make you a big offer so you'd be sure to come. And like I said, I question whether they're even doing work.

They wanted you there for a while without your family, which is odd. I almost wonder if their scam is real estate and they have some unrelated company that gives you expensive short-term rent on an apartment. Or maybe if you got serious they'd have some sort of "hiring fee" that you had to pay.

Weird stuff.

I'm telling you, he was gonna end up waking up in someone's basement chained to the radiator and wearing the Gimp outfit.

Pushead2
02-05-2011, 08:18 AM
been scammed time in & time out of promoters & my old label.

Iowanian
02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I almost forgot...

During the 2004 presidential election, I was scammed and screwed by staff of Moveon.org.

They approached me to provide services(which I did) that were going to be used by their morAns(capital A) who were roaming cities recruiting dipshits to vote for their dipshits.

Anyway..they never paid the invoice, the office shut the doors, noone would return calls or emails and they never paid.

I've been scammed out by them, and it was the gift that kept on giving after the politicians they elected spent the next 4-8 years violating my exit hatch with the business end of their business end.

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS! CASH.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvt40j16QG0O8VXDVGPDezlvvflBx_tMfEN2ju2daLF2NarO0Yuw

Iowanian
02-05-2011, 08:22 AM
In my younger years, I was scammed by half a dozen women at various times.

"I'm going to give you the best (marital act of various suggestion) of your life"

Main event....[/marital act with female weekend at bernie's]

JD10367
02-05-2011, 08:24 AM
In my younger years, I was scammed by half a dozen women at various times.

"I'm going to give you the best (marital act of various suggestion) of your life"

Main event....[/marital act with female weekend at bernie's]

What are you complaining about? If they don't move around, you can finish your business with getting scratched at, and you save money on chorofo... :rolleyes: I think I've said too much, never mind.

Simply Red
02-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Weird stuff.

Yeah man, I hope they weren't planning to take Magic's organs, I love him. We really 'hit it off' in the 'Name That City' thread.

I haven't really been dating anyone else, since. - sooooooooooo...

no seriously, that IS odd. Almost terrifying. What about theft of I.D.? Wonder if that's a possibility. Doubtful because they have just enough presence that they'd get pinched pretty quickly, I'd imagine.

Rausch
02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
If I have been scammed.

Ever been married?...

Simply Red
02-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Ever been married?...

ROFL:thumb:

Simply Red
02-05-2011, 08:53 AM
the original crew is pretty funny, they come up w/ the ones we all miss, Jamie's the same way, dude's hilarious. Oh to have that 'born-on date' of 2000

Rain Man
02-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah man, I hope they weren't planning to take Magic's organs, I love him. We really 'hit it off' in the 'Name That City' thread.

I haven't really been dating anyone else, since. - sooooooooooo...

no seriously, that IS odd. Almost terrifying. What about theft of I.D.? Wonder if that's a possibility. Doubtful because they have just enough presence that they'd get pinched pretty quickly, I'd imagine.

Their web site is listed as being owned by the company, with a po box in one of the "expansion" cities, but not the city where they were "founded". It was set up in 2003, so the site has been around for a while (and after some searching, I've now found exactly one google hit, which is from some spambot directory that merely searched and found the web site). I'm guessing that it became problematic to do "interviews" in the cities other than where the ringleader - er, owner - is.

SAUTO
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I take partial payment sometimes feeling sorry for people. The ones who I actually think will show up and pay never do and the ones I write off in my mind when they leave usually pay. I've lost over 17k in the last three years this way. But still I let a guy leave yesterday with the promisei will see him next Friday
Never been straight-up 'scammed', although in my younger years I had a few instances where I sold someone something, and stupidly accepted part of the money with the promise that the rest would be paid at a later time, and of course I never saw the rest of the money.

As far as the magazine subscription thing, that's been going on for decades, I'm surprised people still fall for it. We had one come to the door quite a few years ago, and I was working in the garage while the scam artist lady gave my wife the spiel at the door. I quietly listened as I did my work, and after the scam artist was finished with her presentation my wife asked what I thought of the deal. I responded by saying "You wanna know what I think? I think it's a goddamn scam, and I think this lady needs to get the hell out of here". They were both speechless, and the scam artist lady said "ok" and slithered off. I haven't had one show up at my door since.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
02-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Its fifty bucks, nothing. Worth that to me to not have an asshole around that I thought was a friend. I'll take that trade off every day

I let an asshole acquaintance borrow $50 this summer...got the dude A JOB (as well as two more interviews)...he had some drug problems and his best friend had just died a few months back...so he was somewhat messed up

Got him a job that paid him $1,000 for a week of work...bought him 3 lunches and loaned him $50 (with the understanding he'd pay me back when he cashed the $1K check)...

Got the check early and wouldn't return my texts asking for the money back...

Some people are just bad people...went out of my way to help a guy out who was nothing more than a "casual friend"...and he dicked me over...sometimes I'm just too nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
02-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I've been scammed.
It was called "The Carl Peterson Era."

MagicHef
02-05-2011, 12:48 PM

Weird stuff.

They told me that they owned an apartment that I would be sharing with other engineers, so I thought it would be free, but I guess they never stated that explicitly.

SAUTO
02-05-2011, 12:53 PM
They told me that they owned an apartment that I would be sharing with other engineers, so I thought it would be free, but I guess they never stated that explicitly.

That seals it. You were going to wake up minus a kidney
Posted via Mobile Device

Over-Head
02-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS! CASH.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvt40j16QG0O8VXDVGPDezlvvflBx_tMfEN2ju2daLF2NarO0Yuw

LMAO nI thought I was the only one who remembered this cheesy 80's movie!!

Simply Red
02-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Odd, really odd.

R8RFAN
02-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Some of you need to listen to Clark Howard everyday...
http://www.clarkhoward.com/

AndChiefs
02-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Did one of them happen to look like this guy?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=590577336894&id=b41d0dae7e3726b34673be67e61a4aba&url=http://blog.planetd21.com/images/office_space_magazines.jpg

rad
02-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Don't feel too bad, millions of Americans were scammed back in November of 2008 despite numerous warning signs.

I'm shocked that you would make such a reference.

JD10367
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
LMAO nI thought I was the only one who remembered this cheesy 80's movie!!

I once knew a girl who went to college with this dude. She had never seen the movie. She wondered why people were yelling, "I want my two dollars!" at him all the time, LOL.

LiveSteam
02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I live in the U.S.A every day is a fucking scam

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-07-2011, 02:05 AM
I believe it was either Feb. or March of 2009, and YOU got scammed like a motherfucker too.

Phobia
02-07-2011, 03:19 AM
I take partial payment sometimes feeling sorry for people. The ones who I actually think will show up and pay never do and the ones I write off in my mind when they leave usually pay. I've lost over 17k in the last three years this way. But still I let a guy leave yesterday with the promisei will see him next Friday

Posted via Mobile Device

Now, where is your shop exactly?

MOhillbilly
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
My parents told me if i took up the violin we would start a band.