PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA Game practice risers and fallers

Tribal Warfare
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
NFLPA Game practice risers and fallers (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFLPA-Game-practice-risers-and-fallers.html)

by Wes Bunting

Risers

CB Anthony Gaitor: Florida International
He isn’t the biggest of defensive backs, but the guy is feisty off the line, possesses good awareness down the field and can make plays on the football. He’s still a bit raw and will get overextended off the line with both his punch and footwork, but with some time/development I could definitely see this guy playing inside as a tough, savvy nickel defender.

OC Zane Taylor: Utah
He checked in at nearly 6-3 with 32-inch arms and has the type of anchor to hold the point of attack in the pass game and create some movement off the line as an in-line guy. He’s a bit limited as an athlete and will lose his balance at times through contact, causing him to fall off blocks. But he’s a tough, nasty interior blocker who has a passion for the game and looks like a draftable pivot.

DE Roberto Davis: NW Missouri State
In all honesty I never even saw a lick of Davis until this week, but he’s one of two small-school guys who really jumped out to me in San Antonio. He displayed a good first step off the snap, has some bend when asked to flatten out around the corner and uses his length/hands well to keep himself clean. Plus, he played the run game well shooting gaps inside and looks like at worst an intriguing priority free agent who could get a real shot as a 3-4 OLB to make a camp.

CB Buster Skrine: UT Chattanooga
Skrine was the other small-school kid who really jumped out to me this week. He’s a bit raw initially in his drop. However, he’s a fluid kid with good feet and balance and was a tough guy to separate from all week long.

DT Kenrick Ellis: Hampton
The guy was downright dominant at times on Tuesday, using his explosive first step and natural leverage to knife his way into the backfield and close on the ball. Yesterday, he wasn’t nearly as impressive and seemed a bit disinterested in practice — one of the big concerns I have with a character concern guy like Ellis. However, he’s a talented kid with a great frame and if the light ever goes on, the guy could be a very good starting pro in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.

OC Tim Barnes: Missouri
I was expecting a very good week from Barnes and I came away not disappointed at all. He showcased good snap and step ability, can sit into his stance and anchor vs. bigger defenders and works his hands well through contact. At times he gets a bit overextended initially into blocks trying to be physical off the snap. Nevertheless, he’s one of the few centers in the class who I think has some starting potential at the next level and showed well for himself this week.

Fallers

DB Jay Valai: Wisconsin
Coming in at only 5-8 and 203 pounds is never a good way to start the week for a safety. However, it got worse, as he really struggled holding up in coverage, consistently trying to jump routes in order to make plays, but routinely guessing wrong and stopping his feet. Add that in to the fact he misses far too many tackles and he looks like a camp body at best.

DB Kevin Rutland: Missouri
It’s tough to give a good grade to a tall, long-legged corner who struggles to turn and run. But that is exactly the case with Rutland. He gives up far too much separation out his breaks, lacks balance and fluidity when asked to redirect and has had a tough time covering just about any wideout down here.

DT Jerrell Powe: Ole Miss
I’m not saying that Powe isn’t one of the best prospects down here and that he won’t be one of the first guys drafted from this game. But in all honesty I was pretty underwhelmed by his performance this week. Now, he is tough to move in the run game, I will give him that. However, he isn’t a gifted pass rusher, gets upright if/when he gains a step inside and doesn’t do a great job finding the football. Looks limited to more of a two-down run guy who can eat up space, but in my view isn’t worth more than a mid-to-late round pick.

OLB Wayne Daniels: TCU
After watching Daniels this week the one thing that jumped out to me is that there's just nothing real dynamic about his game as a pass rusher. He’s got an average first step, isn’t overly sudden or shifty on his counter and in my mind his best pass rushes down here came on the bull rush. He’s got enough talent to get a look as a 34-rush guy, but don’t see him as anything more than a fringe roster guy.

salame
02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm telling you guys Powe will be a third round pick

jd1020
02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm telling you guys Powe will be a third round pick

I'd honestly rather draft Fua at this point.

Saccopoo
02-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I'd honestly rather draft Fua at this point.

And why is that?

jd1020
02-05-2011, 12:30 PM
And why is that?

Because I think Fua is a better player. He's only gotten better since Stanford switched to a true 3-4. Their run D went from, I believe, 50th to 19th with Fua plugging up the middle. He's been consistently impressive and he's slowly been rising up the draft boards of every scout.

On the other hand, all Powe has done is steadily fall down the draft boards with mediocre play. He's had impressive PRACTICES but then what?

You're giving up some size with Fua but, imo, you are getting a better player.

Saccopoo
02-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Because I think Fua is a better player. He's only gotten better since Stanford switched to a true 3-4. Their run D went from, I believe, 50th to 19th with Fua plugging up the middle. He's been consistently impressive and he's slowly been rising up the draft boards of every scout.

On the other hand, all Powe has done is steadily fall down the draft boards with mediocre play. He's had impressive PRACTICES but then what?

You're giving up some size with Fua but, imo, you are getting a better player.

I'm pretty sure they won't draft a 300 lbs. nose tackle. However, I do think Fua will be quite effective as a 1 tech in a 4-3. I don't think he's got the frame to hold anything more than he's carrying now while still maintaining his athleticism. He simply doesn't have the mass or mass potential to effectively hold the nose position against two 300+ NFL level guys. If either he or Paea were 6'5", it would be a completely different story. However, that's what makes guys like Ngata so unique.

Powe, on the other hand, is exactly what you want in a zero tech 3-4 NT. Immovable, two gapper that redirects the plays and keeps a guard and center from getting into the second level.

I'm hoping that Powe's down year has him there in the third when the Chiefs pick. While it's a critical position, I think that the job description doesn't require a supreme athlete to do the job effectively. I mean, if you've got a Ted Washington on the board, I'd happily embrace the concept of drafting a guy like that in the first round. However, a guy like Washington is a generational level talent for the position and you don't see them come around that often.

Saccopoo
02-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Nice to see Taylor get some press. The guy is a beast, and contrary to what the guy stated above, he's pretty athletic for a guy his size. Wouldn't be a bad later round draft pick at all by the Chiefs.

I was really surprised that he wasn't at the East/West or the Senior Bowl to be honest. Three year starter at center, two BCS games, two time all-conference and four time all academic all-conference. Team captain as well.

They could do worse.

Chiefnj2
02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
The game isn't televised?

Saccopoo
02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
The game isn't televised?

Doesn't look like it. No listing from the NFLPA site, nor can I locate it on my Direct TV program guide. Shame. Couple of players that I really like for the Chiefs playing in this one.

aturnis
02-05-2011, 04:54 PM
I think it was on CBS-C whatever that is. I found it on my mediacom, but I do not have that channel in my subscription so that kind of sucked.

the Talking Can
02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm hoping that Powe's down year has him there in the third when the Chiefs pick.

ditto...maybe his age will work against him too

Wilson8
02-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Some info on Buster Skrine...last name is pronounced "screen".

Born April 26, 1989, in Woodstock, Ga ... son of Bernice and Darry Skrine ... Majoring in Business Management.

Elected one of three captains by his teammates.

4.22 40-yard time is a school record.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/jun/28/university-tennessee-chattanoogas-skrine-shines-40/

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=1600015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jksB_vrsM

Wilson8
02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Stand gives Texas win over Nation in PA star game … Texas edged the nation 13-7 in the NFLPA All-star game earlier today in San Antonio. The outcome wasn‘t decided until late, though, as Texas LB Eddie Jones stopped Miami RB Damien Berry on a 4th down run at the Texas 1-yard line with less than a minute on the clock. 55 seconds to go, helping Team Texas hold on for a 13-7 victory over Team Nation in the NFLPA All-Star game on Saturday. Texas Tech QB Taylor Potts led the Texas team on two scoring drives and was named the game’s offensive player of the game after he completed 9 of 15 passes for 107 yards. Berry scored the Nation‘s lone TD on a 72-yard run earlier in the game. Meanwhile, DE Roberto Davis of Northwest Missouri State was named the defensive player of the game after he posted two sacks and recovered a fumble deep in his own territory.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

ChiefsCountry
02-06-2011, 02:15 AM
ditto...maybe his age will work against him too

Nose tackles have a long career than alot of other positions, its one where is age really wouldn't effect him as much.

Saccopoo
02-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Didn't get to see the game but here is some commentary by Chad Reuter:

The wind and temperature had little effect on battles in the trenches, however, which featured the most talented players on both teams. For example, Utah center Zane Taylor was one of the more impressive physical specimens at the morning weigh-ins, and he fought off Nation team defensive linemen very well in the afternoon practice.

Former South Carolina and current Hampton star defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis came into the week looking to make an impression, and he looked like the potential top 75 pick everyone expected him to be, strong and quick for his massive 6-foot-5, 336-pound frame throughout most of the day. But Taylor stood up very well to Ellis and current SEC tackles Lazarius Levingston and Ladi Ajiboye, both of whom have a chance to be drafted in April because they are active and play with leverage despite neither cracking 300 pounds.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-EH185_offthe_G_20090820160425.jpg
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/81/812459.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/wmLeeijRhX4/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4072442.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
02-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Great, looks like Sac has yet another hard-on for a big ugly.

BigCatDaddy
02-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Great, looks like Sac has yet another hard-on for a big ugly.

I think most of us will before the draft. He plays a position of need for us and can be taken later on in the draft. CP loves those type of guys. At this point I would mind taking him in the 3rd. Getting that push up the middle really hurt us last year in short distance situations and really turned that Ravens game. Adding Taylor and Asomoah would help out quite a bit in that situation IMO.

milkman
02-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I think most of us will before the draft. He plays a position of need for us and can be taken later on in the draft. CP loves those type of guys. At this point I would mind taking him in the 3rd. Getting that push up the middle really hurt us last year in short distance situations and really turned that Ravens game. Adding Taylor and Asomoah would help out quite a bit in that situation IMO.

Sac is right.

Every position along this O-Line needs to be upgraded.

Where we disagree is in priority.

Right now, Center is the highest priority upgrade needed for this team at this time, IMO.

If the Chiefs address it with a quality free agent or get one of the top centers in this draft, then I would support that effort.

SAUTO
02-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Sac thinks center was our best spot last year. Lol

Sac is right.

Right now, Center is the highest priority upgrade needed for this team at this time, IMO.

If the Chiefs address it with a quality free agent or get one of the top centers in this draft, then I would support that effort.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy
02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Sac is right.

I think most of us would. You have to be able to convert those short yardage situations at a much better rate and Asomoah and an upgrade at center such as Taylor would help in that area. I just hope they are upgrades in other areas as well.

I don't think it happens this year and probably never will, but thought on Richardson being bumped down to guard? Asomoah, Taylor, and Richardson with Albert at LT looks better on paper to me. If Albert has a poor year this year then maybe you think about moving him to RT or G and picking up a LT in the draft.

This just isn't the year that we go LT again.

Wilson8
02-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Also from Wes Bunting on CB Skrine -

"One corner, on the other hand, who really stood out to me today was UT Chattanooga’s Buster Skrine. He was patient in his back-pedal, showcased good fluidity and balance when asked to change directions and was tough to separate from all practice. Plus, at 5-10 and 186 pounds, he has good enough size for the next level and will definitely be a prospect I will be keeping an eye on closely during the week as he has the makings of a roster guy in the NFL."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFLPA-Game-practice-report-Day-one.html

Saccopoo
02-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Sac thinks center was our best spot last year. Lol

It was, but I have no illusions to the long term role of Wiegmann at that position. The guy played very well this past season, better than anyone else on the line, but he will be 38 at the start of the 2011 season. While that's amazing, and I think he's been one of, if not the most underrated offensive line player of the last decade plus (only one Pro Bowl), it's Methuselah in terms of football age.

(Wiegmann gave up the least amount of sacks, had the least amount of penalties and was the best at positive yardage in power situations. He was the best player on the line in 2010.)

A quality replacement/heir to the throne needs to be found in this draft (it should have been Tennant in last years draft). They simply cannot wait any longer.

In all honesty, they should have taken Beadles with the McCluster pick and then Tennant in the fifth when he was still there and we wouldn't be talking about this for yet another season. However, regardless of past drafting miscues, they do need to come out of this draft with, at the very least, one new starting tackle and center and a clear idea about the succession of the guard positions.

Like I said, I'd target Ryan Harris as the top free agent acquisition. That would lock down the RT spot. Pick up a guy like Taylor in the mid-rounds and, depending on value at the 21st spot (if a guy like Julio Jones or Akeem Ayers falls, I'd take them), look at picking up one of the quality linemen that should be there.

Frankie
02-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Nice to see Taylor get some press. The guy is a beast, and contrary to what the guy stated above, he's pretty athletic for a guy his size. Wouldn't be a bad later round draft pick at all by the Chiefs.

I've been actually hoping for that.

Saccopoo
02-07-2011, 03:00 PM
I think most of us would. You have to be able to convert those short yardage situations at a much better rate and Asomoah and an upgrade at center such as Taylor would help in that area. I just hope they are upgrades in other areas as well.

I don't think it happens this year and probably never will, but thought on Richardson being bumped down to guard? Asomoah, Taylor, and Richardson with Albert at LT looks better on paper to me. If Albert has a poor year this year then maybe you think about moving him to RT or G and picking up a LT in the draft.

This just isn't the year that we go LT again.

Dude, you cannot possibly try to hope that Albert has a "break out" year in year four, especially looking at the murderous schedule that we'll be facing in 2011. He's been a starter at left tackle for three complete seasons now and has not progressed. It's time to pull the plug, move him inside and get a guy that is capable of effectively operating in space.

Albert was drafted for Herm's power run scheme. However, he is not a zone scheme offensive tackle. He does have good strength and his time at LT will help him be very effective inside at guard, particularly left guard.

You let Wiegmann retire a Chief. You can either make a move to trade Waters while there is some value there (coming off a Pro Bowl appearance), or use him as the interior backup along with Lilja. Draft a LT, a C, pick up Ryan Harris in free agency and move Albert to LG, Asamoah to RG (both players played those positions exclusively in college).

LT: Draft guy - Costanzo would be ideal
LG: Albert
C: Draft guy - Taylor/Kirkpatrick is totally acceptable
RG: Asamoah
RT: Harris

There you have a young, talented offensive line with some experience that can grow as a group and be solid for a number of years. Hoping that Albert can finally "get it" at left tackle (in his fourth year) makes this team and that position regress for yet another season. The move has to be made now.

Saccopoo
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Taylor at the NFLPA:

One prospect who really stood out in my mind was Utah center Zane Taylor. He measured in at 6-2 1/2 — which was taller than I thought he would be — and really looked well put together at 313 pounds. He had a thick lower half, was well strapped together in his upper body without much extra flesh and with 32-inch arms he has more than enough length to hold his own inside at the next level. Size was one of the major questions with Taylor as a prospect, but after getting the numbers, I think with a strong week the guy could play himself up some draft boards as he is one of the most underrated centers in the country.

Frankie
02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Sac gets a rep for the last two posts. Half a rep each.

tyton75
02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
32 inch arms?!? roid much?

BigCatDaddy
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Dude, you cannot possibly try to hope that Albert has a "break out" year in year four, especially looking at the murderous schedule that we'll be facing in 2011. He's been a starter at left tackle for three complete seasons now and has not progressed. It's time to pull the plug, move him inside and get a guy that is capable of effectively operating in space.

Albert was drafted for Herm's power run scheme. However, he is not a zone scheme offensive tackle. He does have good strength and his time at LT will help him be very effective inside at guard, particularly left guard.

You let Wiegmann retire a Chief. You can either make a move to trade Waters while there is some value there (coming off a Pro Bowl appearance), or use him as the interior backup along with Lilja. Draft a LT, a C, pick up Ryan Harris in free agency and move Albert to LG, Asamoah to RG (both players played those positions exclusively in college).

LT: Draft guy - Costanzo would be ideal
LG: Albert
C: Draft guy - Taylor/Kirkpatrick is totally acceptable
RG: Asamoah
RT: Harris

There you have a young, talented offensive line with some experience that can grow as a group and be solid for a number of years. Hoping that Albert can finally "get it" at left tackle (in his fourth year) makes this team and that position regress for yet another season. The move has to be made now.

I think you are probably right that Waters is trade bait, but I think you are going to see 1 more year of Ryan Lilja at guard and Albert at tackle. You might bet a new C, G and RT this year, but not a total revamping just yet.

LaDairis
02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Lilja is a good center. He played two games in place of Saturday and didn't screw up once, not one bad snap, not one penalty, and the OL did not allow a sack.

Now that he has a year here under his belt, he is ready to take over C.

Waters, Asa and Harris as OGs. Need an ORT badly...

philfree
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
32 inch arms?!? roid much?

Steroids make your arms longer?

PhilFree:arrow:

tyler360
02-08-2011, 12:21 AM
The last thing I want to see is Lilja at center.

I don't think he can pull that off at all.

Frankie
02-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Steroids make your arms longer?

PhilFree:arrow:

:LOL:

... and your head smaller.

Saccopoo
02-08-2011, 02:35 AM
Lilja is a good center. He played two games in place of Saturday and didn't screw up once, not one bad snap, not one penalty, and the OL did not allow a sack.

Now that he has a year here under his belt, he is ready to take over C.

Waters, Asa and Harris as OGs. Need an ORT badly...

What the fuck?

Lilja is Wiegmann light in terms of center. Lilja is a good guard for this scheme. Not great and he isn't the center Wiegmann is. That is some crazy talk.

The only center I'd take Lilja at is long snapper.

BossChief
02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
It's nice to see sac posting good stuff again after his 1 year hiatus in Okungville

Chris Meck
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
It was, but I have no illusions to the long term role of Wiegmann at that position. The guy played very well this past season, better than anyone else on the line, but he will be 38 at the start of the 2011 season. While that's amazing, and I think he's been one of, if not the most underrated offensive line player of the last decade plus (only one Pro Bowl), it's Methuselah in terms of football age.

(Wiegmann gave up the least amount of sacks, had the least amount of penalties and was the best at positive yardage in power situations. He was the best player on the line in 2010.)

You are completely, utterly insane. In both the Oakland game AND Ravens game-just as an example, Wiegmann was thrown about like a ragdoll. All season long, when we needed to pick up a 3rd and 1, we were unable to do so with any sort of running play inside the tackles. No push whatsoever. Casey is too small to play in any 'power situation' in any way, shape, or form.

Frankie
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
In both the Oakland game AND Ravens game-just as an example, Wiegmann was thrown about like a ragdoll. All season long, when we needed to pick up a 3rd and 1, we were unable to do so with any sort of running play inside the tackles. No push whatsoever. Casey is too small to play in any 'power situation' in any way, shape, or form.

Plus he is too old. Especially in the 2nd half of the season. We definitely need a young and powerful starting C and then I don't mind keeping Wiegs fresh on the bench as the back up for another year or two.

jd1020
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Cant we all just agree that OT is our #1 priority this draft and the only position worthy of a 1st round pick? Nevermind the fact that Cassel actually had time to throw this year but the receivers couldnt get the 5 yards of seperation needed for Cassel to throw the ball, or that Cassel doesnt like to quit on a play and throw the ball away so he takes a sack when he left the pocket 8 seconds ago.

Danman
02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Cant we all just agree that OT is are #1 priority this draft and the only position worthy of a 1st round pick?

No! We can't agree to this. OT is maybe the 3rd or 4th priority of this team and is a waste of a 1st round pick at this stage of our development. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. We can get a RT in the 3rd Rd or in free agency. If you wanna talk o-line needs, see most of the previous discussion here about the center position. It's a bigger need.

jd1020
02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
No! We can't agree to this. OT is maybe the 3rd or 4th priority of this team and is a waste of a 1st round pick at this stage of our development. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. We can get a RT in the 3rd Rd or in free agency. If you wanna talk o-line needs, see most of the previous discussion here about the center position. It's a bigger need.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Our QB can't read a childrens book, let alone a NFL defense. He needs 3x more pocket time to go through progressions. This means we need to draft a guy like Constanzo who may be marginally better than what we have now. We were strong on 3rd and shorts up the gut with the run. We've got more vertical threats than any team in the league. And we get to the opposing teams QB better than any other team in the league with pressure inside and out.

Bewbies
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree. Our QB can't read a childrens book, let alone a NFL defense. He needs 3x more pocket time to go through progressions. This means we need to draft a guy like Constanzo who may be marginally better than what we have now. We were strong on 3rd and shorts up the gut with the run. We've got more vertical threats than any team in the league. And we get to the opposing teams QB better than any other team in the league with pressure inside and out.

Okung is going to dress up like a ninja and cut your Costanzo off.

jd1020
02-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Okung is going to dress up like a ninja and cut your Costanzo off.

I dont think a 6'5'' 310lb'er is going to be sneaking up on my Costanzo!

milkman
02-08-2011, 05:02 PM

:doh!:

Frankie
02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
OT is maybe the 3rd or 4th priority of this team and is a waste of a 1st round pick at this stage of our development. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. We can get a RT in the 3rd Rd or in free agency.

The same kind of argument could be made about WRs, which is about the only "playmaker" position we need.

CoMoChief
02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
why do people still think we are gonna move Albert to guard?

serious question.....why??

jd1020
02-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Because we can draft Costanzo in the first round. Who else are we going to draft? Surely not a OLB, WR, C, or NT.

BigCatDaddy
02-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Because we don't already have 3 guys capable of manning that spot. Nevermind.

LaDairis
02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Castonzo got used in the Senior Bowl, used, by multiple opponents. So did Solder.