PDA

View Full Version : Life Go ahead Toyota's dont just run off

HonestChieffan
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
The what did u spend on a car thread is still running so here is more car talk.

OK, so I just bought my wife a new car and Im happy with it (cause she is happy with it). Back last year when all the Toyotas are killing people rage was afoot, she pretty much said she didn't want a Toyota. Its her car and I don't get her input when I pick my truck so Im ok with that. Id considered it for a time when I was still seething from the bailouts and other issues that shouldn't be an issue when buying a car.

So anyway, Im gleaning bits of worthless news this morning and run across this gem

Toyota Acceleration Verdict:
LaHood Should Resign
National Review Online, by Henry Payne
Original Article
Posted By:StormCnter, 2/9/2011 1:53:43 PM
U.S. Transportation Safety chief Ray “Toyotas are unsafe” LaHood announced today that his agency had no evidence that electronics were to blame for runaway Toyota vehicles. How do you say “I told you so” in Japanese? LaHood’s admission comes a year after a mob of Democrat pols, tort lawyers, and regulators –including LaHood — held Congressional show trials tarring Toyota for building “killing machines” in anticipation of a windfall for trial lawyers from a whole new class of electronics-related

Isn't this strange that we can tramp all over a company and its image, then say Oh never mind...... I hope I'm never the one on the point of that sword. You guys who got a deal on your Toyotas can thank the DOT.

Sofa King
02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/lionheart56/impala1-720748.jpg

pr_capone
02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.autospecifications.org/car-reviews/wp-content/uploads/vauxhall-astra-2.jpg

Bugeater
02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Meh, I still don't like that 'drive by wire' bullshit.

Brock
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow, you mean it turned out to be nothing? What a surprise.

Extra Point
02-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Meh, I still don't like that 'drive by wire' bullshit.

This.

Lzen
02-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Perhaps I missed, but I still would like to know what, exactly, made those Toyota accelerators stick? Are we now buying the BS floor mats theory?

HonestChieffan
02-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Perhaps I missed, but I still would like to know what, exactly, made those Toyota accelerators stick? Are we now buying the BS floor mats theory?

The last thing I read was back in July in the WSJ. Supposedly they were stuck down by the drivers foot. Its the human element that often leads to a bad end. They are still looking into floor mats....

I like this part the best

"Even though the agencies did not discover any electronic problems with the vehicles, DOT said it will still propose rules by year's end to require brake override systems, keyless ignition system standards, and event data records in all passenger cars. The agency also said it will start "broad research" into the reliability and security of electronic control systems in cars, as well as research the placement and design of accelerator and brake pedals.
In the wake of the controversy, Toyota recalled nearly 8 million vehicles due to the sticky pedal and floor mat issue. The company also paid $48.8 million in civil penalties"

Lzen
02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
WTH?

We didn't find anything wrong but we're still gonna propose a bunch of changes? Morons.

One thing I never understood is the drivers that had this happen never figured out how to put it in neutral or park (in and extreme emergency).

Valiant
02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
The last thing I read was back in July in the WSJ. Supposedly they were stuck down by the drivers foot. Its the human element that often leads to a bad end. They are still looking into floor mats....

I like this part the best

"Even though the agencies did not discover any electronic problems with the vehicles, DOT said it will still propose rules by year's end to require brake override systems, keyless ignition system standards, and event data records in all passenger cars. The agency also said it will start "broad research" into the reliability and security of electronic control systems in cars, as well as research the placement and design of accelerator and brake pedals.
In the wake of the controversy, Toyota recalled nearly 8 million vehicles due to the sticky pedal and floor mat issue. The company also paid $48.8 million in civil penalties"

I am going with human element also. I drive a truck, had to borrow a vehicle as mine was getting worked on. Newer focus, my foot kept hitting the gas while breaking, because I have big feet and how close the pedals are compared to my truck. Also the mats kept sliding around because they were not fitted mats. Not sure in the toyota cases but I can see how mats might become a problem.

HonestChieffan
02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
WTH?

We didn't find anything wrong but we're still gonna propose a bunch of changes? Morons.

One thing I never understood is the drivers that had this happen never figured out how to put it in neutral or park (in and extreme emergency).

Get back in line. No talking.

CoMoChief
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM

I would say people not knowing how to drive while having their heads up their asses and add that to the fact that everyone now a days us suit happy

HonestChieffan
02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Classic....

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said today that he told his daughter to buy a Japanese car–a Toyota Sienna–and that she did so.

LaHood’s comment came as he announced the results of a 10-month long Department of Transportation study that was undertaken to determine whether electronic systems could have been responsible for reports of sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles. The study determined that this was not the case.

LaHood’s statement that he told his daughter by a Japanese car also came less than two months after he announced a “Buy America” campaign at the Department of Transportation (DOT).

“I told my daughter that she should buy the Toyota Sienna, which she did,” LaHood said in announcing the results of DOT’s study. “So I think that illustrates that we feel that Toyota vehicles are safe to drive.”

salame
02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
fuck toyota

WV
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
The outrage wouldn't have been so bad had this been one of the big three. IMO it would have been swept under the rug.

Love my Toyota truck and both our Honda's...."American" cars can suck it.

ChiefsCountry
02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Only thing wrong with Toyota was that didn't use union labor and the goverment went after them.

Sfeihc
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Imported from Detroit, Biatches!!!

burt
02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
If I recall, back then I stated that it was driver error. If ya don't believe me, you can look it up.

Toyotas are fine vehicles. So are Hondas, Chevy's, Fords Kia's....etc. Today there are more good vehicles than ever before, and all have different personalities. Hasn't always been that way. But choices of numerous quality vehicles..... is a very good thing.

Hell, I am beginning to think even Chrysler is pulling their heads out.

But "Toyota sucks", "Honda sucks", "Ford sucks", "Kia sucks", just demonstrates lack of research or plain stupidity.

Bugeater
02-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Whatever I'm driving is the best, everything else sucks.

burt
02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Whatever I'm driving is the best, everything else sucks.

You mock me after an actual serious post........damn you, man!

Param
02-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Car Insurance companies are glad to hear that. Ahhh, what a good news day.

Infidel Goat
02-12-2011, 12:17 PM
. You guys who got a deal on your Toyotas can thank the DOT.

I bought a used 2010 Prius with around 20K miles for just under $17,500 (minus tax and title) in December. Clean Carfax. Had my mechanic check it out. Still under orignal warranty, of course.

I've filled it up twice since then...

Thank you, morans.

Brock
02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516

lots of lulz

Infidel Goat
02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516

lots of lulz

I guess I should be thanking Hemi Ed. What a surprise he started that thread...

CrazyHorse
02-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Only thing wrong with Toyota was that didn't use union labor and the goverment went after them.

Oh yeah....because the federal govt. loves the unions.lol

CrazyHorse
02-12-2011, 07:08 PM
If I recall, back then I stated that it was driver error. If ya don't believe me, you can look it up.

Toyotas are fine vehicles. So are Hondas, Chevy's, Fords Kia's....etc. Today there are more good vehicles than ever before, and all have different personalities. Hasn't always been that way. But choices of numerous quality vehicles..... is a very good thing.

Hell, I am beginning to think even Chrysler is pulling their heads out.

But "Toyota sucks", "Honda sucks", "Ford sucks", "Kia sucks", just demonstrates lack of research or plain stupidity.

Not sure how a run away car is driver error. Seems like the responsibility is on manufacturing to safeguard against any runway situations. The only thing I see in the OP is that they have eliminated one senario. I didn't see where there was no runaways at all.

Maybe I missed it.

CrazyHorse
02-12-2011, 07:18 PM
I would say people not knowing how to drive while having their heads up their asses and add that to the fact that everyone now a days us suit happy

If that were the case, all brands would be getting hit with runaways. You cant tell me only toyota drivers have thier heads up thier ass.

CrazyHorse
02-12-2011, 07:22 PM
IIRC it was toyota that originally said it was a sticky pedal. They were fined for reporting it late. After several runaways were reported. LaHood may have imposed fines, but it was based off toyotas claim of what was wrong with the car.

It all sounds like back room negotiating and palm greasing to me.

KCScott
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM

This

We had an 2006 Avalon and I have a 2009 Tundra 4x4 - both made in the USA (the avalon in TN and the Tundra in San Antonio) - neither ever had mechanical problem and ran like champs.

That said, I traded the Avalon for a Caddy CTX last Summer for the all wheel drive

kstater
04-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Stuck throttle on a Toyota just about killed someone in Martinsville VA today.

CrazyHorse
04-03-2011, 01:31 PM
The what did u spend on a car thread is still running so here is more car talk.

OK, so I just bought my wife a new car and Im happy with it (cause she is happy with it). Back last year when all the Toyotas are killing people rage was afoot, she pretty much said she didn't want a Toyota. Its her car and I don't get her input when I pick my truck so Im ok with that. Id considered it for a time when I was still seething from the bailouts and other issues that shouldn't be an issue when buying a car.

So anyway, Im gleaning bits of worthless news this morning and run across this gem

Toyota Acceleration Verdict:
LaHood Should Resign
National Review Online, by Henry Payne
Original Article
Posted By:StormCnter, 2/9/2011 1:53:43 PM
U.S. Transportation Safety chief Ray “Toyotas are unsafe” LaHood announced today that his agency had no evidence that electronics were to blame for runaway Toyota vehicles. How do you say “I told you so” in Japanese? LaHood’s admission comes a year after a mob of Democrat pols, tort lawyers, and regulators –including LaHood — held Congressional show trials tarring Toyota for building “killing machines” in anticipation of a windfall for trial lawyers from a whole new class of electronics-related

Isn't this strange that we can tramp all over a company and its image, then say Oh never mind...... I hope I'm never the one on the point of that sword. You guys who got a deal on your Toyotas can thank the DOT.

Isnt it odd that the recalls seem to have fixed the problem?

Sometimes with electronics, there is no proof that it was a problem until you replace it and the problem goes away. To say there is no proof it was that part I guess means there is no smoking gun. But there was a problem. It seems to have been fixed. That is the main thing. I could really care less who they point the fginger at. as long as people quit dying behind the wheel of Toyotas.

Theres little arguement people were dying.

pr_capone
04-03-2011, 01:37 PM

:spock:

Kia does suck.

Chiefshrink
04-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Which makes Toyota severe competition that would hinder "cash for clunkers".

Wasn't that about the same time the govt went after Toyota :shrug:

Dirty politics don't ya just love it!!:thumb:

DJJasonp
04-03-2011, 03:16 PM
What an odd coincidence. Me and several of my coworkers were sent to a Shingo conference in Cincinnati this past week. (Shingo...."Toyota Way")

Anyways...there were several keynotes regarding this subject. One guy (who was very pro-toyota...and has written several books on the "Toyota Way"), spent an hour keynote which basically seemed like a congressional hearing.

The long and short of it was that after their investigation, they determined that the driver in san diego had two floormats....the stock one, plus another cloth floormat on top.

Their conclusion was that was the reason why the accelerator stuck....and they now are designing for what they call "a popular thing to do in America" (2 floormats stacked).

The keynote seemed a bit defensive....and the writer went after the LA times, and a few senators.

Ive never been a fan of toyota (I'm a GM "buy american" kind of guy)....but as crass as they came across, the investigation did appear it wasnt a manufacturing/design error).

Fact is, we'll never know what really happened in the san diego crash.

FlaChief58
04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Martin Truex's #56 Toyota caused a wreck in todays nascar race due to "throttle sticking". Just saying

Bugeater
04-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Martin Truex's #56 Toyota caused a wreck in todays nascar race due to "throttle sticking". Just saying
OMG THANKS FOR THE TOTALLY BREAKING NEWS

kstater
04-03-2011, 03:42 PM
OMG THANKS FOR THE TOTALLY BREAKING NEWS

To be fair, this 2 month old thread probably just bumped itself.

burt
04-04-2011, 07:07 AM
:spock:

Kia does suck.

Then you haven't read JD Powers or Consumer Reports for over 7 years..........

MahiMike
04-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Just bought this little beauty last weekend. Traded in the gas guzzlin truck before gas hits $5.

burt
04-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Just bought this little beauty last weekend. Traded in the gas guzzlin truck before gas hits $5.

nice but you cut it very close.....

Radar Chief
04-04-2011, 07:52 AM

:eek: :cuss: It’s spreading!