PDA

View Full Version : Life getting in shape

bogey
02-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I have foolishly joined a basketball league at work. Last Saturday we all got together and played full court BB. It almost killed me. So I decided to start running to get my lungs back (yesterday). At this point, the longest I can run is 5 minutes before I have to walk. So I run for 5 minutes, walk for a couple of minutes and then run again. All I can do at this point is about 20 - 25 minutes before I'm fucking done. I'm sure this has been asked, but, if I keep this up and try to increase my running time, how long will it take before I can play a game of BB without puking? 3 weeks? 6 weeks? never? I'm 53, I smoke and I drink. At this point I intend on continuing the smoking and drinking. Knowing this, how long do I have to run before I can play a full court game of BB?

Dunit35
02-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Read the general fitness thread. Drink lots of water, throw some Gatorade in, it'll build your stamina up. Throw in some cardio, that'll build your stamina up best.

Silock is pretty smart with this stuff.

Brock
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Smoking is going to keep you from getting where you want to go. Drink all you want.

stevieray
02-10-2011, 05:47 PM
..is harder than staying in shape.

gotta start somewhere. go for it!

Fish
02-10-2011, 05:47 PM
How long have you been smoking?

That's the stamina killer....

Pushead2
02-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I have foolishly joined a basketball league at work. Last Saturday we all got together and played full court BB. It almost killed me. So I decided to start running to get my lungs back (yesterday). At this point, the longest I can run is 5 minutes before I have to walk. So I run for 5 minutes, walk for a couple of minutes and then run again. All I can do at this point is about 20 - 25 minutes before I'm ****ing done. I'm sure this has been asked, but, if I keep this up and try to increase my running time, how long will it take before I can play a game of BB without puking? 3 weeks? 6 weeks? never? I'm 53, I smoke and I drink. At this point I intend on continuing the smoking and drinking. Knowing this, how long do I have to run before I can play a full court game of BB?

:shake:

bogey
02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Read the general fitness thread. Drink lots of water, throw some Gatorade in, it'll build your stamina up. Throw in some cardio, that'll build your stamina up best.

Silock is pretty smart with this stuff.

I thought running was cardio.

rageeumr
02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
It sounds like you're doing mostly slow pace running. That's great for building an aerobic base. Unfortunately basketball is a largely anaerobic activity (lots of sprinting). Being aerobically in shape is important, too, as your aerobic fitness will determine how quickly you can recover between sprints.

So I would recommend mixing in some tempo runs or sprints. Maybe run 5 minutes and then up the pace for a minute. Or perhaps do your entire run and then go run sprints. You could always do hills or stairs, too.

bogey
02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Smoking is going to keep you from getting where you want to go. Drink all you want.

Bummer, I love to smoke.

bogey
02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
How long have you been smoking?

That's the stamina killer....

A looooooong time.

bogey
02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
:shake:

I know.

bogey
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
It sounds like you're doing mostly slow pace running. That's great for building an aerobic base. Unfortunately basketball is a largely anaerobic activity (lots of sprinting). Being aerobically in shape is important, too, as your aerobic fitness will determine how quickly you can recover between sprints.

So I would recommend mixing in some tempo runs or sprints. Maybe run 5 minutes and then up the pace for a minute. Or perhaps do your entire run and then go run sprints. You could always do hills or stairs, too.

So, let's say I did this, how long will it take to get in shape?

Dante84
02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
How come my remote won't work, even though I'm pressing buttons? I don't have batteries in it, and at this point, don't plan on putting any in.

But how can I make the remote work?

bogey
02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
..is harder than staying in shape.

gotta start somewhere. go for it!

I started yesterday morning and did it again this morning. Two days in a row. It's not easy to get my ass out there.

rageeumr
02-10-2011, 06:00 PM
So, let's say I did this, how long will it take to get in shape?

It's kind of a moving target determined by factors such as your current health, level of commitment, genetics and how much damage you've done to your lungs over the years.

I would say the average non-smoker who isn't obese could get in good enough shape to play a game comfortably in a month or so. But that's really throwing a dart (blindfolded)

bogey
02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
How come my remote won't work, even though I'm pressing buttons? I don't have batteries in it, and at this point, don't plan on putting any in.

But how can I make the remote work?

I've joined a BB team, I'm running the best I can at this point. I am putting batteries in the remote, I want to put the right batteries in the remote that work best for the remote. I'm asking an honest question because I know me. Not looking for miracles just looking for some friendly advise.

bogey
02-10-2011, 06:08 PM
It's kind of a moving target determined by factors such as your current health, level of commitment, genetics and how much damage you've done to your lungs over the years.

I would say the average non-smoker who isn't obese could get in good enough shape to play a game comfortably in a month or so. But that's really throwing a dart (blindfolded)

Thank you sir.

Dante84
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I've joined a BB team, I'm running the best I can at this point. I am putting batteries in the remote, I want to put the right batteries in the remote that work best for the remote. I'm asking an honest question because I know me. Not looking for miracles just looking for some friendly advise.

Hey fair enough. Maybe if quitting the ciggs and drinks arent an option, cutting back is?

Just looking out for you man; And not trying to be holier than thou or anything, lord knows ive got my vices.

But if you want to see a significant change, or identify a major cause, it starts with the smokes.

Donger
02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I was people watching (and ear-wigging) at the airport yesterday. These two fat ladies were complaining about not being able to lose any weight, while both of them were devouring McDonalds.

Dunit35
02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I thought running was cardio.

It is, but like another post running is slow pace, basketball isn't. Throw in jump ropes or sprinting to your workout.

Dunit35
02-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I was people watching (and ear-wigging) at the airport yesterday. These two fat ladies were complaining about not being able to lose any weight, while both of them were devouring McDonalds.

Haha, I doubt that surprises anyone.

bogey
02-10-2011, 06:22 PM

I know I need to quit smoking. I've tried numerous times. I know it works against me. I'm not going to quit right now. I'm not overweight,
5' 91/2" 160lbs. I'm just out of basketball shape and was wondering how long it would take if I started running and actually focused on trying to get in shape.

bogey
02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
It is, but like another post running is slow pace, basketball isn't. Throw in jump ropes or sprinting to your workout.

jump rope, great idea!

Jenson71
02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You're 53. Just stand at the bottom of the basket and let someone throw it to you. Only play offense.

bogey
02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You're 53. Just stand at the bottom of the basket and let someone throw it to you. Only play offense.

:) After about 10 minutes, that became my game plan. Except at 5' 9 1/2" I had to play guard and defend the smallest fastest kid on the other team.

bevischief
02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Cut out sugar and caffeine, it sucks for a week but you will be better in the long run.

Silock
02-10-2011, 08:22 PM
No one can really tell you how long it will take because you are still smoking. However, running every day certainly won't hurt. You might eventually have a stroke or heart attack, though, if you keep smoking and exercising hard.

mlyonsd
02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Short answer is to take it a week at a time. Since you smoke and you're 53 don't exceed your target heart rate if you can help it.

You'll eventually feel better longer while running but the facts are you won't ever be 20 something again.

Stanley Nickels
02-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Look, Silock is being honest here, but I'll go further. If you want to truly get in shape, you've got to quit smoking. As long as you're smoking, any exercise is surface-level, at best.
So, you can enjoy the ciggs and booze, or you can commit to a full-scale health overhaul. If you intend to exercise vigorously, and you continue to smoke, something's going to give. And it'll likely be your respiratory or circulatory system. Nobody has to tell you how intertwined those are.
It's very simple: booze and smoke, throw in a few runs here and there to make you feel better, noticing a small increase in stamina (which is truly all for naught). Or, make a change for good. The people who have the worst luck are those who make a change due to an external influence finally rearing its head (DUI, stroke, heart attack).