PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Switching from ATT/iPhone to Verizon/Android

jAZ
02-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Now that Verizon officially has the iPhone, and my contract with AT&T is up in May... I'm expecting that I will switch to Verizon and switch to an Android phone.

Has anyone else made the iPhone>Android switch? What was your experience?

DaFace
02-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Not an iphone user, but I love my droid.
Posted via Mobile Device

MagicHef
02-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Now that Verizon officially has the iPhone, and my contract with AT&T is up in May... I'm expecting that I will switch to Verizon and switch to an Android phone.

iPhone 3G to Droid X. Would never, ever, ever switch back.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2011, 01:05 AM
iPhone 3G to Droid X. Would never, ever, ever switch back.

Could you be alittle more specific?

soopamanluva
02-13-2011, 01:08 AM
ive had them both. Have an iphone now had a G1 when they first dropped. Both of them have pros and cons. Droids are memory hogs and programs crash. and Iphones need to be jailbroken in order to fully utilize them it just depends on what you are looking for. Im about to get the motorola atrix(droid) and give the iphone to my wife.

jAZ
02-13-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm 3g with the ios4 on it. It's a total dog. So whatever happens, I"m going to feel much happier with my phone. Thinking about the Thunderbolt.

Ming the Merciless
02-13-2011, 01:33 AM

Fucking love verizon and my Droid X

Joe Seahawk
02-13-2011, 01:56 AM
I also have the droid X awesome phone! I've never had an iphone my previous phone was the original droid. For me, the droid X is perfect.

Good luck!

teedubya
02-13-2011, 02:27 AM
Wait until the LG Revolution or the Optimus 2x comes out.

I did some hand demo tests on all of the top models this year... and nothing compared the Optimus 2x, but it comes out late in the US, which is a retarded strategy.

Get the fast phones to America as fast as you ****ing can!! lol. So we can consume them.

I actually want a solar chargeable cell phone.

Jewish Rabbi
02-13-2011, 02:53 AM
I'm 3g with the ios4 on it. It's a total dog. So whatever happens, I"m going to feel much happier with my phone. Thinking about the Thunderbolt.

That's your problem. iOS 4 doesn't run for shit on the older models. One of my bosses tells me almost every day he wishes he hadn't switched to droid, but I'm sure you can find examples of the opposite as well.

MagicHef
02-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Could you be alittle more specific?

My Droid X is much faster, crashes less, has much better battery life, a bigger and better looking screen, can be connected to a computer to provide 3g internet, has a better camera (still and video), has removable/swappable memory, gets better reception (which may be a function of Verizon vs AT&T). It's hard to be too specific when everything is better and nothing is worse.

teedubya
02-13-2011, 03:41 AM
My droid is super slow now... it was fast when I got it... something is bogging that damn thing down, and Ive killed the apps...

I hate having the 256Mb of memory for the active apps... it makes me NOT buy many apps.

Gary
02-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Got an Samsung Epic 4G through Sprint and love it. Went with it over Evo 4G because it has a great keyboard, better 1Ghz processor, & a huge display with much crisper colors.

threebag
02-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Just got my iPhone 4 a few months ago will get a iPhone 5 after they come out later this year.

farmerchief
02-13-2011, 08:01 AM
My droid is super slow now... it was fast when I got it... something is bogging that damn thing down, and Ive killed the apps...

I hate having the 256Mb of memory for the active apps... it makes me NOT buy many apps.
I have read several places if you delete all your old texts, it will speed things up....

BigRedChief
02-13-2011, 08:34 AM
I had the Iphone 3 for a couple of years and got the Iphone 4 about a month ago. I have an unlimited data plan for $30. I use tons of data with my Iphone. Streaming music, watching movies and videos while waiting someplace. Surfing the net etc.

Yeah, the actual phone part could be a lot better thats for sure. But, I don't see myself switching for better recpetion and paying another $30-40 a month for data. Thats paying $60 bucks a month for data, thats way too much.

RNR
02-13-2011, 08:42 AM
I had the Iphone 3 for a couple of years and got the Iphone 4 about a month ago. I have an unlimited data plan for $30. I use tons of data with my Iphone. Streaming music, watching movies and videos while waiting someplace. Surfing the net etc.

Yeah, the actual phone part could be a lot better thats for sure. But, I don't see myself switching for better recpetion and paying another $30-40 a month for data. Thats paying $60 bucks a month for data, thats way too much.

I have unlimited everything, with tax and all the other bullshit my monthly bill is $62.00~

memyselfI
02-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Never had an iPhone. Don't want one. I was one of the early adapters of Android and I love it.

vailpass
02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Somewhere a fan boy is crying over the op.

soopamanluva
02-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Just remember that if you are on verizon. When they roll out the LTE, you will NOT be able to surf the next and talk on a call. It doesn't support simultaneous voice and data. The AT&T network does. I have an iPhone 4 by the way. Running ios4 on a 3G isn't really a good idea. Ios4 has different resource requirements and the 3G is not really suited to handle it like the 4 does. There are problems and issues with both platforms tho.

Dave Lane
02-13-2011, 09:30 AM

If you get a 4G you will freak how much faster it is than the 3G. Probably 3-400% gain. As fast as the iPad.

Dave Lane
02-13-2011, 09:32 AM
I have unlimited everything, with tax and all the other bullshit my monthly bill is $62.00~

They let you have phones in prison now? Do you have to be in to get this rate plan? Seems like a good deal but still, I'm sure I'd be shivved for being a Chiefs fan.

BigRedChief
02-13-2011, 09:39 AM
I have unlimited everything, with tax and all the other bullshit my monthly bill is $62.00~You have unlimted data, unlimited texts and unlimted phone calls for $62 a month? What phone and cell carrier?

jAZ
02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
But, I don't see myself switching for better recpetion and paying another $30-40 a month for data. Thats paying $60 bucks a month for data, thats way too much.

What do you mean by "another"? As far as I can tell, the data on Verizon is basically the same as on AT&T... $30 for unlimited data.

mlyonsd
02-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Anybody use the wi-fi feature of an Android? How fast is it? Seems pricey to me considering it's another $20 on top of the $30 data charge.

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey jaz you might send a smoke to SLAG, dude is a cell phone master.

RNR
02-13-2011, 10:45 AM
You have unlimted data, unlimited texts and unlimted phone calls for $62 a month? What phone and cell carrier?

Sprint base price $69.95 I also have a company discount~

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Sprint base price $69.95 I also have a company discount~

You are not unlimited to land line phones on that plan but that is a pretty good plan

RNR
02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
You are not unlimited to land line phones on that plan but that is a pretty good plan

Yeah thats true I only get 450 land line minutes. I have never even came close to reaching the limit~

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah thats true I only get 450 land line minutes. I have never even came close to reaching the limit~

10-4

I get unlimited data, unlimited talk to any phone and unlimited text without my corporate discount for 45 per month :)

RNR
02-13-2011, 10:57 AM
10-4

I get unlimited data, unlimited talk to any phone and unlimited text without my corporate discount for 45 per month :)

Asshole one upper ;)

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Asshole one upper ;)

straight talk

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4117715_f520.jpg

RNR
02-13-2011, 11:02 AM
straight talk

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4117715_f520.jpg
Too late the man already has me under contract. The man always keeping me down~

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 11:05 AM
back on topic , I had a droid 1 I was super impressed with it at first but as time went by the luster wore off....

My eyes are not what they use to be and I just don't care for a touch screen phone anymore....

RNR
02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
back on topic , I had a droid 1 I was super impressed with it at first but as time went by the luster wore off....

My eyes are not what they use to be and I just don't care for a touch screen phone anymore....

I use a droid with a slide out keyboard~

Jerm
02-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Actually switching from the OG Droid to the iPhone 4 here shortly...both on Verizon.

I must admit that the Thunderbolt is intriguing though.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2011, 11:21 AM
I still have the Droid1. My Verizon contract expired, so I just flashed it over to Cricket. Works the same, except the Verizon apps dont work. Everything else from Android Market works. $55/mo. everything unlimited.

BossChief
02-13-2011, 11:21 AM
I have an iPhone 3GS thats unlocked and I use it with tmobile/iwireless and unlimited everything is $50/month with no contract. Talk, text, web, ld, tethering via blutooth or USB...everything. Love it.

The only drawback is that tmobiles 3G isn't compatible with the phone so the browser isn't as fast...but it's fast enough to offset the cost.

The same thing under atnt would be 120/month plus taxes so I can live with it.

BigRedChief
02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
What do you mean by "another"? As far as I can tell, the data on Verizon is basically the same as on AT&T... $30 for unlimited data.In previous threads on smartphones, users had said there was no umlimited plans anymore unless you spent some high $'s. Just going off what others had said. I upgraded to the Iphone4 because my Iphone3 crapped out and I get $150 a month reimbursment for a phone. I had to make a decision that day. My wifes and sons phones contracts are up this summer. I'm sure we will explore whats out there then.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I still have the Droid1. My Verizon contract expired, so I just flashed it over to Cricket. Works the same, except the Verizon apps dont work. Everything else from Android Market works. $55/mo. everything unlimited.

I still have my droid 1 and it is rooted, point me to a reliable place to get the flash ... does mms work? pics?

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I still have my droid 1 and it is rooted, point me to a reliable place to get the flash ... does mms work? pics?I had mine rooted too. I'm on Cricket. You'll have to check your area.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I had mine rooted too. I'm on Cricket. You'll have to check your area.
you had someone root and flash it for you or did you do it yourself?

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
you had someone root and flash it for you or did you do it yourself?A guy I work with rooted it, and I took it to Cricket to flash it.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 11:58 AM
A guy I work with rooted it, and I took it to Cricket to flash it.

ok thanks.... I rooted mine myself..... didn't know they could do that at cricket....

Not a bad deal at all for a droid for unlimited everything...

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2011, 12:24 PM
ok thanks.... I rooted mine myself..... didn't know they could do that at cricket....

Not a bad deal at all for a droid for unlimited everything...Only certain Cricket stores in my area can flash phones. It cost me $65, but it was well worth it.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Only certain Cricket stores in my area can flash phones. It cost me $65, but it was well worth it.

I put my Droid on CL like a month ago, not many people wanted it now everybody and their brother all of a sudden is contacting me about the phone.... You think this is the reason?

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2011, 05:35 PM
I put my Droid on CL like a month ago, not many people wanted it now everybody and their brother all of a sudden is contacting me about the phone.... You think this is the reason?Could be. Not sure, but flashing phones to secondary carriers is not a new development.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Does the Droid play FLAC files?

clyde05
02-13-2011, 06:34 PM
i am getting the galaxy s 4g from t-mobile is supposed to be fastest phone on market, it doesnt come out until feb 23rd

KChiefs1
02-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Ok...what's a jailbroke phone?

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Ok...what's a jailbroke phone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

mlyonsd
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Anybody use the wi-fi feature of an Android? How fast is it? Seems pricey to me considering it's another $20 on top of the $30 data charge.So nobody uses a smart phone for wi-fi? Anyone?

Buehler? Buehler?

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Does the Droid play FLAC files?

Anybody?

Arrowhead Nation
02-13-2011, 06:44 PM
So nobody uses a smart phone for wi-fi? Anyone?

Buehler? Buehler?

Wi-fi speed is all based on what wireless network you are on. My experience was using a Blackberry Curve on Tmobile. I have Wi-fi at home on a 3MB speed. My speeds on the Blackberry while using that network were comparable to what I would get on Tmobile's 3g network.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Anybody?

flac files or flash?

BigRedChief
02-13-2011, 06:50 PM
At home 11 meg download and 5 meg uploads on my IPhone.

I have a 40meg pipe at home to run the internet, netflix and wireless through.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2011, 06:55 PM
flac files or flash?

FLAC, I see IPhones will be able to do it soon which means the Droid will probably be able to do it also.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/06/11/how-to-play-flac-and-ogg-files-on-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch/

jAZ
02-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Anybody?
Yep...
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=android+flac

DaFace
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Buehler? Buehler?

I don't pay for it, but there's a slight workaround for the Optimus S that lets you use the mobile hotspot for free, so I use it every once in a while. It's more than adequate for basic browsing (at 3G speeds), but downloading anything would probably be pretty slow. However, the 4G phones are significantly faster.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Wi-fi speed is all based on what wireless network you are on. My experience was using a Blackberry Curve on Tmobile. I have Wi-fi at home on a 3MB speed. My speeds on the Blackberry while using that network were comparable to what I would get on Tmobile's 3g network.I believe he was referring to the mobile Hot-Spot.

03pilot
02-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Buehler? Buehler?

If you mean using the phone as a wifi hotspot, I recently flashed a custom rom that included the ability to be a hotspot and it works great. I am using it right now on my laptop at a hospital that has wifi but my 3G connection is faster. No monthly charges either. At least I hope not.

DBOSHO
02-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I did. Imo the android phones are really good, but cant compare to the iphone. I went back to att.

Archie F. Swin
02-13-2011, 10:51 PM
What's the best android phone in the T-mobile fleet? I'm finally gonna buy a smart phone this spring.

DaFace
02-13-2011, 10:57 PM
What's the best android phone in the T-mobile fleet? I'm finally gonna buy a smart phone this spring.

If you're not looking for a 4G phone specifically, I've been thrilled with my LG Optimus S, which is the Sprint equivalent of the Optimus T that t-mobile has.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Any word out yet on what the IPhone has in store for us this spring. I have so many Iphones it's ridiculous. One 3G, two 3GS and one 4G. I am going to sell them all when the new one comes out, and pay the early upgrade fee on the one phone with the money I make off of selling the others. I should still have plenty left over. Hope they have one with 64G's of memory. How much do the droids have?

Joe Seahawk
02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Any word out yet on what the IPhone has in store for us this spring. I have so many Iphones it's ridiculous. One 3G, two 3GS and one 4G. I am going to sell them all when the new one comes out, and pay the early upgrade fee on the one phone with the money I make off of selling the others. I should still have plenty left over. Hope they have one with 64G's of memory. How much do the droids have?

Droids have 65 gigs ;)

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Droids have 65 gigs ;)

OK Mr. Smarty Pants. LMAO