PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Friggn' Sprint..

dtebbe
02-13-2011, 09:57 AM
I've been a Sprint customer for about 14 or 15 years now, and honestly have had very few issues with them. Their customer service used to be weak, but they have made great strides in the past few years. The main thing I've always liked about them is that they didn't play the gotcha shell game with their plans, with little hooks and daggers to get $5 here, $10 there, etc.

I'm up for for "Premier" new every year phone upgrade, so I decide to go check out the new Android offerings. I'm just about to upgrade when the store rep says "That will be another $10/month". I told him no, I was on an unlimited data plan. He said "Yes, but a smartphone is premium data, and that's $10 more per month". I asked, so is my Palm not a smartphone? He said "It would be $10 more per month now too".

So it appears that Sprint is now taking a page out of the ol' AT&T playbook. Unlimited data really isn't unlimited data (unless you want to access it with a 10 year old phone).

I'd really like to tell them where to shove it, as all (I have 4 phones on my family flan) of my contracts are about up. The sad thing is I can't find a better deal. I'm paying about $180 for 4 smartphones with 3000 minutes and "Unlimited" everything. I'm still getting a 25% discount from my old employer, which I don't know if I could finagle with another carrier.

Just curious if any long-time Sprint customers have been able to pitch a beyotch about this new $10 charge and gotten them to waive it?

:cuss:
FU Sprint!

DT

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Nickle and dimeing people to death...

Go with Boost
Straghttalk
Virgin Mobile
Tracfone
or
Net10 and tell those big boys to stick their "premium data plans up their arse!"

DaFace
02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Were you looking at 4G phones? I know that they've had surcharges on those from the beginning. Otherwise, I hadn't heard of that aside from on some of their ancient plans. I had to pay $10 extra to move to an Android phone, but when you're only paying $30 per month beforehand, it's hard to get very worked up about it.

Bugeater
02-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh, I see, you want the latest and greatest gadget, but you don't want it to cost you any more. That makes sense.

morphius
02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Were you looking at 4G phones? I know that they've had surcharges on those from the beginning. Otherwise, I hadn't heard of that aside from on some of their ancient plans. I had to pay $10 extra to move to an Android phone, but when you're only paying $30 per month beforehand, it's hard to get very worked up about it.
They have added the fee to all smart phones, there really is no way around it.

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:05 AM
You just now heard of the $10 4G surcharge? You have to pay if you want to play. There are some nice 3G android options out there if you don't want to pay the $10.
*edit* looks like 3G still costs the extra $10, thanks Morphius

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Nickle and dimeing people to death...

Go with Boost
Straghttalk
Virgin Mobile
Tracfone
or
Net10 and tell those big boys to stick their "premium data plans up their arse!"

LMAO
Frosted Fakes for breakfast eh?

morphius
02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
You just now heard of the $10 4G surcharge? You have to pay if you want to play.
It is for 3G and 4G phones now, changed last month.

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:09 AM
It is for 3G and 4G phones now, changed last month.

They have to pay for those lines somehow. As central a part as the smart phone/PDA is in daily life I don't see that as unreasonable.

dtebbe
02-13-2011, 10:10 AM
You just now heard of the $10 4G surcharge? You have to pay if you want to play.

It's not just 4G. Basically anything more than a flip phone is $10 more per month.

And Bugeater... when I'm on a $100+ "unlimited data" plan, NO, I don't expect to pay more for data.

This is just a way for them to advertise what appears to be a less expensive plan.

DT

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:12 AM
It's not just 4G. Basically anything more than a flip phone is $10 more per month.

And Bugeater... when I'm on a $100+ "unlimited data" plan, NO, I don't expect to pay more for data.

This is just a way for them to advertise what appears to be a less expensive plan.

DT

Tell them you are going to switch carriers because you want the new Iphone and are unhappy with the $10 surcharge for new Android.
They will send you to customer retention. Tell them the same thing. Listen to what they offer to do for you, see if it is acceptable.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 10:15 AM
LMAO
Frosted Fakes for breakfast eh?

I was with verizon for over a decade, I am now on straight talk and can't tell a bit of difference for far better prices....

I had a Droid, it was an ok phone, it's not worth the pricetag to me but each to his own

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
I was with verizon for over a decade, I am now on straight talk and can't tell a bit of difference for far better prices....

I had a Droid, it was an ok phone, it's not worth the pricetag to me but each to his own

Let me guess, you paid cash for it.:D

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Let me guess, you paid cash for it.:D

Hell ya... How else would you?

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Hell ya... How else would you?

Just fuckin' with you.

HonestChieffan
02-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I've been a Sprint customer for about 14 or 15 years now, and honestly have had very few issues with them. Their customer service used to be weak, but they have made great strides in the past few years. The main thing I've always liked about them is that they didn't play the gotcha shell game with their plans, with little hooks and daggers to get $5 here, $10 there, etc.

I'm up for for "Premier" new every year phone upgrade, so I decide to go check out the new Android offerings. I'm just about to upgrade when the store rep says "That will be another $10/month". I told him no, I was on an unlimited data plan. He said "Yes, but a smartphone is premium data, and that's $10 more per month". I asked, so is my Palm not a smartphone? He said "It would be $10 more per month now too".

So it appears that Sprint is now taking a page out of the ol' AT&T playbook. Unlimited data really isn't unlimited data (unless you want to access it with a 10 year old phone).

I'd really like to tell them where to shove it, as all (I have 4 phones on my family flan) of my contracts are about up. The sad thing is I can't find a better deal. I'm paying about $180 for 4 smartphones with 3000 minutes and "Unlimited" everything. I'm still getting a 25% discount from my old employer, which I don't know if I could finagle with another carrier.

Just curious if any long-time Sprint customers have been able to pitch a beyotch about this new $10 charge and gotten them to waive it?

:cuss:
FU Sprint!

DT

Sonn gonna find out. I am sick of the cost of cell phone and I have zero data, just a phone for me and wife.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Just ****in' with you.

I know, people think I am weird here, I just like to see people make these companies give them value for their hard earned dollars.

The best way to get their attention is to get in their wallet...

vailpass
02-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I know, people think I am weird here, I just like to see people make these companies give them value for their hard earned dollars.

The best way to get their attention is to get in their wallet...

I don't think you are weird at all, I admire your fiscal responsibility and self discipline. Doesn't make you immune to getting your balls busted just like the rest of us though.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Sonn gonna find out. I am sick of the cost of cell phone and I have zero data, just a phone for me and wife.

Straight talk 45 bucks unlimited data talk and text
Straight talk 30 bucks 1000 mins talk 1000 text and 30mb data

Net 10 25 bucks a month for 750 mins

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't think you are weird at all, I admire your fiscal responsibility and self discipline. Doesn't make you immune to getting your balls busted just like the rest of us though.

Oh I know, I enjoy taking a wire brush to some of the butts here and pouring a little turpentine on it.... :D

I get raked across the coals here too, sometimes I ask for it, but it is fun none the less.

salame
02-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Oh, I see, you want the latest and greatest gadget, but you don't want it to cost you any more. That makes sense.

yeah man get real

threebag
02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I had unlimited data with my first iPhone. Since AT&T has changed data packages. I bought a new iphone4 and I still have what they don't offer anymore except to the customers that had it. Unlimited data

DJJasonp
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Ive been with Sprint for about 3-4 years now.

Had a samsung instinct (which I'm pretty sure was considered smartphone)...and I didnt pay the 10 extra a month.

Bought an EVO back in November - had to pay an extra 10 a month BUT...it's for 4G (which, ironically, they dont have in San Diego yet).

I'm fairly confident the 10 extra you speak of is tied to the 4G surcharge.

RNR
02-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Had a samsung instinct (which I'm pretty sure was considered smartphone)...and I didnt pay the 10 extra a month.

Bought an EVO back in November - had to pay an extra 10 a month BUT...it's for 4G (which, ironically, they dont have in San Diego yet).

I'm fairly confident the 10 extra you speak of is tied to the 4G surcharge.

It is, I dont pay the $10 bucks for my droid. That is attached to the 4g phones~

penguinz
02-13-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm fairly confident the 10 extra you speak of is tied to the 4G surcharge.Sprint recently changed is so any smart phone, 3 or 4g, has to pay the extra $10.

dtebbe
02-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I had unlimited data with my first iPhone. Since AT&T has changed data packages. I bought a new iphone4 and I still have what they don't offer anymore except to the customers that had it. Unlimited data

See, but what Sprint did is clever. The plan is still "Unlimited Data" and I don't have to pay the $10 until I activate a new phone. I still have my "Unlimited Data" plan but the new phone requires a $10 "Premium Data" upcharge.

And for all you dumbasses that keep saying this is only for 4G you are WRONG. It's a new charge for any Smartphone. You won't have to pay the $10 (I'm not right now) until you change phones. Regardless if it's a 3G or 4G, if it's a smartphone you'll be paying the extra $10/month.

I know it does not seem like a lot, but when you have 4 phones on a family plan, that's $480/year. So basically even though you are grandfathered on your plan, they are jacking you up by $10 that you didn't sign on for in your contract by adding this as a "phone" upcharge. So really they are changing the terms of your contract, without changing the terms of your contract.

DT

KevB
02-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Sprint recently changed is so any smart phone, 3 or 4g, has to pay the extra $10.

I believe it's only for those getting new phones however. If you stay status quo, you don't get assessed the additional $10 fee.

Valiant
02-13-2011, 12:16 PM

DT

100dollar?? Their unlimited is 60 + 10 for a smartphone, how are you paying 100???

And for boost, they are 60 bucks for the smartphone, just a bit cheaper..

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2011, 12:16 PM
its unlimited tho, unless you have a grandfathered plan with the other carriers they cap the data usage. sprint is the only unlimited one

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
its unlimited tho, unless you have a grandfathered plan with the other carriers they cap the data usage. sprint is the only unlimited one
the only one of the big 3

Valiant
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
See, but what Sprint did is clever. The plan is still "Unlimited Data" and I don't have to pay the $10 until I activate a new phone. I still have my "Unlimited Data" plan but the new phone requires a $10 "Premium Data" upcharge.

And for all you dumbasses that keep saying this is only for 4G you are WRONG. It's a new charge for any Smartphone. You won't have to pay the $10 (I'm not right now) until you change phones. Regardless if it's a 3G or 4G, if it's a smartphone you'll be paying the extra $10/month.

I know it does not seem like a lot, but when you have 4 phones on a family plan, that's $480/year. So basically even though you are grandfathered on your plan, they are jacking you up by $10 that you didn't sign on for in your contract by adding this as a "phone" upcharge. So really they are changing the terms of your contract, without changing the terms of your contract.

DT

This is true, but you are just comparing Sprint to your old Sprint plan.. Compare it to other contract phones from ATT and Verizon..
Only way you are getting way cheaper is from non contract phones and only a few have really good phones..

Valiant
02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I believe it's only for those getting new phones however. If you stay status quo, you don't get assessed the additional $10 fee.

No, I think you have to pay regardless, of course this is just reading stories on consumer sites of people buying phones at contractless(more) prices, when you activate it to your account they start charging you the extra 10.. But only if you add a new phone..

dtebbe
02-13-2011, 12:22 PM
There is a nice little link now on smartphones that says "Required Plans & Add Ons"

I have a Palm Pixi now, a 3G only smartphone. Here is what that link goes to:

http://www.stopwatches.com/pix/dirty_low_down_sprint.jpg

So, in all actuality you can add $20/month to any of those advertised family plan rates, because who is going to buy an unlimited data plan for anything but a smartphone?

Apparently this new policy went into effect 1/31/2011

DT

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2011, 12:22 PM
t-mobile is actually underrated

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2011, 12:24 PM
yes its an extra $10 bucks a month for a smart phone, 3g or 4g.

memyselfI
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
It was this announcement from Sprint which made me decide to go ahead and get a smartphone with unlimited data on Tmobile for my 15 year old son. I could lock in a $20 per month Android rate which will not require an additional surcharge for a 4G phone.

It was a year or so earlier than I wanted to do it but I figured locking in a grandfathered rate on his line was worth it. I believe TMO might jump on this bandwagon at some point.

WilliamTheIrish
02-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Sprint made me aware of this 60 days ago.

WoodDraw
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
It was this announcement from Sprint which made me decide to go ahead and get a smartphone with unlimited data on Tmobile for my 15 year old son. I could lock in a $20 per month Android rate which will not require an additional surcharge for a 4G phone.

It was a year or so earlier than I wanted to do it but I figured locking in a grandfathered rate on his line was worth it. I believe TMO might jump on this bandwagon at some point.

TMobile throttles after 5 gigs, so it's not really unlimited either. Although if you hit the 3G throttle point, you can bump down to edge for the rest of the month I suppose.

I never hit it, so not a big deal.

RNR
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM

I will have to check and see if I am getting charged that. I will be pretty bent if they put this on me with my contract in place before they added it~

Bowser
02-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Sprint sucks balls. We dropped them years ago.

RNR
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM

It seems to me they all suck balls at one time or another~

T-post Tom
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
The sad thing is I can't find a better deal.

which I don't know if I could finagle with another carrier.

FU Sprint!

I'd say be happy with what you have.

WoodDraw
02-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I will have to check and see if I am getting charged that. I will be pretty bent if they put this on me with my contract in place before they added it~

You shouldn't see it until you upgrade.

memyselfI
02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
TMobile throttles after 5 gigs, so it's not really unlimited either. Although if you hit the 3G throttle point, you can bump down to edge for the rest of the month I suppose.

I never hit it, so not a big deal.

I know they do. It is still unlimited data but not unlimited speed. However, I use Edge most of the time to save battery anyway. If I download something then I'll kick up the speed. My thinking in locking in the rate was to avoid a smartphone charge.

CrazyPhuD
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Yea unlimited data is fundamentally gone for good now. It's just not sustainable in a mobile world. They may still call it unlimited data, but if they throttle you enough, you are still effectively limited in bandwidth, it's just not listed.

It's the same principle as dropping the quantity of food you buy silently while still charging the same price. It's just more subtle so most people don't know to complain.

GloryDayz
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I'll just be happy when AT&T offers GoGo inflight as part of their "additional services" on my plan (since they're the network behind GoGo) and they make sure the service is on every flight.. As for Sprint, they all suck on any given day of the week.

WoodDraw
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I know they do. It is still unlimited data but not unlimited speed. However, I use Edge most of the time to save battery anyway. If I download something then I'll kick up the speed. My thinking in locking in the rate was to avoid a smartphone charge.

I agree, and I think it's a good solution. The people that illegally tether and use 10-20+ gigs of data a month can fuck off. The kind of usage on a cell phone is ridiculous.

Frazod
02-14-2011, 10:44 AM

They all suck balls. I have AT&T and it seems like every month my fucking bill goes up a little bit, and it never has been what they said it would be when I switched from Sprint. There's always some fee, some surcharge, some tax that makes it just a little bit more. Plus AT&T has the added bonus of NOT WORKING WORTH A SHIT IN MAJOR CITIES. I'm currently in my office on the 31st floor of a skyscraper in downtown Chicago, and have two bars and no internet access on my iPhone 4. I just tried to call my own work extension and the call wouldn't go through. And half the time my phone won't work when I'm outside on the street. Pathetic. Same thing happened when I was in St. Louis - phone works fine in the suburbs, but get downtown, and forget it. I guess when they draped that big orange thing over the Arch it blocked the signal. Bastards. 4321

Customer service is dead. Pay too much, receive too little, and all you get is an insincere apology in broken English from some goddamn foreigner.

The Franchise
02-14-2011, 10:48 AM
They all suck balls.

This.

planetdoc
05-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Sprint hit with largest-ever 'Do Not Call' fine (http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/19/technology/sprint-do-not-call/index.html?iid=HP_LN)
When it comes to "Do Not Call" requests, Sprint apparently hasn't gotten the message.

The Federal Communications Commission announced Monday that the wireless carrier will pay a $7.5 million fine for failing to honor requests from consumers to opt out of phone and text-message marketing campaigns. As part of the settlement, Sprint (S, Fortune 500) has to set up a compliance program and provide regular reports to regulators for the next two years.

The fine comes after Sprint reached a similar settlement over "Do Not Call" violations with regulators back in 2011, paying a $400,000 fine.