PDA

View Full Version : Football Sad story about "the fridge"

oldandslow
02-13-2011, 03:43 PM
A sad story, if you're in the mood:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=6091766

Quote:
AIKEN, S.C. -- Every day begins with William Perry needing help out of bed. Usually, it's 10 a.m. before he even gives it a try, and to support his 400 pounds, he shuffles to the living room on two legs that barely work and his sturdy black cane.

Once he sits down, he and his chair are in a long-term relationship. He doesn't move, except to go to the bathroom, and the concerning part is that he has no desire to move. A home gym is just 20 feet away from him, but he mostly scowls at it from a safe distance. A walking path is only 40 feet away, but he mostly hisses at it from the comfort of his seat.

His day consists of watching television and eating three or four meals prepared by his heart-broken wife, Valerie. She nags him to exercise, but says she gets "cussed out'' for it. She bugs him to take his medication but says she gets ignored over it. Her new trick, just to get him on his feet, is to tell him he has to come to the kitchen to eat his lunch. That's her best way to get "The Refrigerator'' to walk near the refrigerator.

Of course, then when she least expects it, her husband will hobble out the door and into his car. She knows exactly where he's headed: to the liquor store.

Because every day ends with William Perry needing a drink.

Hammock Parties
02-13-2011, 03:47 PM
His wife should start preparing him healthy meals.

Shogun
02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Brain Damage aside, I refuse to feel sorry for somebody who won't help themselves.

Gonzo
02-13-2011, 03:58 PM
That is sad. At first I thought that maybe Fraz shot him.
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I feel more sorry for the wife than him.

wazu
02-13-2011, 04:02 PM
This is kind of how I picture my own retirement.

Gracie Dean
02-13-2011, 04:09 PM
I lived in Crested Butte Colorado after the Bears won the Superbowl in 85. I have some friends that run a snow mobile company. He could not ride it because every time he leaned, the dang thing fell over. I WISH to god we had had vidoe cameras then

Hammock Parties
02-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Here's the really sad part. Just four years ago he was active and doing cool stuff. What happened in four years?

In 2006, he came out with a barbecue sauce.[2]

In 2006, he participated in the Lingerie Bowl as the super sub.

Perry participated in a World Wrestling Federation battle royal at WrestleMania 2 in Rosemont, Illinois. In 2006, he returned to the Chicago area to be inducted into the "Celebrity Wing" of the WWE Hall of Fame by John Cena.

After he retired as a player, Perry founded his own small commodity hedge fund in his native South Carolina and made numerous public appearances.

Recently, he was named Director of Football Operations for the Continental Indoor Football League's Chicago Slaughter.

Ah, here we are:

In June 2008, he was diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome, a chronic inflammation disorder of the peripheral nerves.[5]

On April 22, 2009, Perry was hospitalized in South Carolina in serious condition from his Guillain-Barré syndrome.[6]

Perry spent approximately a month in the hospital before being released. At one point his weight fell to 190 pounds, before going back up to 275 pounds.

Hammock Parties
02-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I bet this guy is probably ready to die. This sounds awful.

The disorder is characterized by symmetrical weakness which usually affects the lower limbs first, and rapidly progresses in an ascending fashion. Patients generally notice weakness in their legs, manifesting as "rubbery legs" or legs that tend to buckle, with or without dysesthesias (numbness or tingling). As the weakness progresses upward, usually over periods of hours to days, the arms and facial muscles also become affected. Frequently, the lower cranial nerves may be affected, leading to bulbar weakness, oropharyngeal dysphagia (drooling, or difficulty swallowing and/or maintaining an open airway) and respiratory difficulties. Most patients require hospitalization and about 30% require ventilatory assistance.[4]

bowener
02-13-2011, 04:20 PM
*ring* *ring*

: Hello?

: Hey, William, is your refrigerator run...err, never mind.

WV
02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
He lives real close to my Uncle, I'll have him go over and smack some sense into him.

R8RFAN
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
My wifes grandmother has Guillain–Barré syndrome , she got it in her 60's in the late 1980's and believes she got it from a flu shot,
she is still alive, in her 80's but since she got it, she has been in a wheel chair and and has never been able walk no more than 10 feet with a walker....
she handled it well but it was sad to see an active woman reduced to someone who had to sit in a wheel chair all the time

JD10367
02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Fuck that piece of crap. He stole Walter Payton's SB TD while simultaneously butt-fucking and humiliating the team I root for.

milkman
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
**** that piece of crap. He stole Walter Payton's SB TD while simultaneously butt-****ing and humiliating the team I root for.

Blame Ditka.

googlegoogle
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Mrs Obama will take care of him.

JD10367
02-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Blame Ditka.

Yeah, he sucks too. :)

FAX
02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I would think that, were Perry to get his act together, the people of Chicago and environs would help him with jobs and moral support and things, no?

I don't know why he would turn to the dark side so needlessly. I understand the pain problem, of course. And, the Guillain–Barré syndrome can be debilitating. However, many people have dealt with pain and fought through serious, incurable disease. When I start feeling sorry for myself, I stop and think for a moment about all the guys coming home from Afghanistan with no legs and half an arm. Some of those guys are working their asses off in a valiant, seemingly almost impossible effort to become productive members of society.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Part of me feels sorry for the guy. But, another part really doesn't.

FAX

threebag
02-13-2011, 07:47 PM
And he doesn't even have a golden voice

Dylan
02-13-2011, 07:51 PM
<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=6091732"/></object>

Very sad

JD10367
02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
And he'd still probably be the best O-lineman on the Chiefs if he suited up today! /CPers :D

Norman Einstein
02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
A sad story, if you're in the mood:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=6091766

Quote:
AIKEN, S.C. -- Every day begins with William Perry needing help out of bed. Usually, it's 10 a.m. before he even gives it a try, and to support his 400 pounds, he shuffles to the living room on two legs that barely work and his sturdy black cane.

Once he sits down, he and his chair are in a long-term relationship. He doesn't move, except to go to the bathroom, and the concerning part is that he has no desire to move. A home gym is just 20 feet away from him, but he mostly scowls at it from a safe distance. A walking path is only 40 feet away, but he mostly hisses at it from the comfort of his seat.

His day consists of watching television and eating three or four meals prepared by his heart-broken wife, Valerie. She nags him to exercise, but says she gets "cussed out'' for it. She bugs him to take his medication but says she gets ignored over it. Her new trick, just to get him on his feet, is to tell him he has to come to the kitchen to eat his lunch. That's her best way to get "The Refrigerator'' to walk near the refrigerator.

Of course, then when she least expects it, her husband will hobble out the door and into his car. She knows exactly where he's headed: to the liquor store.

Because every day ends with William Perry needing a drink.

Unfortunately there are many stories similar to those that played in the NFL. Especially the linemen.

A few years ago I was outside the Red Coaters tent at Arrowhead. There were quite a few former Chiefs there posing for pictures. To the side of the tent is a mound specifically setup for photo ops. There were about 16 players posing for the pictures, after they were done over half of the guys had to have help getting down the little hill. I can't imagine the pain these guys go through just to be able to get through the day.

Art Still told me he had to workout for an hour to loosen up his shoulder so he could function.

I would bet that virtually every player with any kind of significant injury through their career is still paying the price for playing.

notorious
02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Let's see what he has left in the tank.

WV
02-13-2011, 11:15 PM
And he'd still probably be the best O-lineman on the Chiefs if he suited up today! /CPers :D

You must be too young....the Fridge was a D-Lineman.

WV
02-13-2011, 11:16 PM
How many of you had this as a kid....I know I did!

http://www.thesameintensity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/william_perry.jpg

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
You must be too young....the Fridge was a D-Lineman.

He was a RB dude.

FAX
02-14-2011, 12:49 AM
... Art Still told me he had to workout for an hour to loosen up his shoulder so he could function. ...

And Mr. Rain Man has had a weakness for him ever since.

FAX

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-14-2011, 01:38 AM
It appears that his brutal match with Manute Bol took a toll on them both

WV
02-14-2011, 01:40 AM
He was a RB dude.

:cuss: Ditka.....that was Sweetness's TD!