PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Diluted Window Washing Fluid Keeps Valley Man Alive

02-15-2011, 10:14 AM
PHOENIX -- An elderly Anthem man said he survived five days alone in the desert by eating dinner leftovers and straining diluted window washing fluid to stay hydrated.

* VIDEO: Window Washing Fluid Keeps Valley Man Alive

A helicopter spotted 84-year-old Henry Morello Saturday morning in the desert north of Phoenix.

Morello, missing since Monday, was in fair condition when Maricopa County sheriff's deputies helped him out of his SUV, which Morello said got stuck in the dirt after he missed his exit on Interstate 17.

"He wound up at the Bloody Basin exit," said James Sheehan, a close friend of Morello. "Morello said he went down about 17 miles of dirt road and then turned off the road and that is where the car got hung up."

For five nights Morello fought frigid temperatures, proving with age comes some creative wisdom.

"He stayed near his vehicle and utilized some things from his vehicle to help him survive," said Randy Folts, a friend. Morello told friends he used the mats from his car to cover up with at night.

During the day, Morello found an inventive source of water.

"He took a rock and opened the hood of his car and broke the windshield wiper fluid and was using that with a napkin to keep himself hydrated," said Sheehan.

His friends said they believe it was a miracle that Morello was found in such good condition, but they said his survival skills are "Just Hank being Hank."

"He is doing fantastic, and if you know Hank, he is a survivor. That is why he survived," said Sheehan.

Friends say Morello is recovering at a Valley hospital, but they expect he will be back with them soon
http://www.kpho.com/2011/0210/26812015_240X248.jpg

(AP)PHOENIX -- Morello siad he got the idea from reading about Gatorade and antifreeze on Chiefsplanet.
http://www.kpho.com/news/26846788/detail.html?sms_ss

CHENZ A!
02-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Old people should not be allowed to drive unless they pass a driving test every 6 months after age 70.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
02-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I would never think of drinking washer fluid
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
02-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Old people should not be allowed to drive unless they pass a driving test every 6 months after age 70.
Posted via Mobile Device

First observation.

Can you see over the steering wheel?

milkman
02-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I would never think of drinking washer fluid
Posted via Mobile Device

Antifreeze, amiright?

CHENZ A!
02-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Too often senior citizens are just oblivious to their surroundings. A lot of them are every bit as dangerous as a drunk person driving. Its really cool that this guy was able to survive, but he drove 17 fucking miles down a dirt road before realizing he went the wrong way?!
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
02-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Antifreeze, amiright?

Yep. It is the chiefsplanet official drink.
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I had a near miss with an old timer last week. I was driving home from the airport when I noticed a car stopped on the on-ramp. Granny decided that she would hang a U-turn and proceeded to drive against traffic on a friggin interstate highway. I called 911 and told them. A few minutes later, a state trooper (going the right way in the northbound lanes) went past me doing a good 100 mph+

I have no idea if she caused an accident or not.

-King-
02-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I had a near miss with an old timer last week. I was driving home from the airport when I noticed a car stopped on the on-ramp. Granny decided that she would hang a U-turn and proceeded to drive against traffic on a friggin interstate highway. I called 911 and told them. A few minutes later, a state trooper (going the right way in the northbound lanes) went past me doing a good 100 mph+

Whoa. That would be scary as hell
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Years ago, in the valley, late at night a friend and myself were on the 101 northbound when I saw headlights heading directly toward us.

I said "WTF" and my friend, who was driving saw what I was talking about, and pulled over to the side as we watched a car headed south pass by us in the northbound lanes.

Might have been a drunk driver.

3 or 4 years, I was driving on the 126 east between Ventura and Santa Paula with my wife in the early afternoon, when I saw a car heading toward us heading west in the eastbound lanes.

Looked as the car passed by, and it was being driven by a woman who was like 90 years old and no way in hell could she possibly see over the dash.

blaise
02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
When asked how he felt he said he's been a little blue.

tooge
02-15-2011, 11:11 AM
he may sound very smart, but the whole time he thought it was rasberry coolaid

Skyy God
02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
3 or 4 years, I was driving on the 126 east between Ventura and Santa Paula with my wife in the early afternoon, when I saw a car heading toward us heading west in the eastbound lanes.

Looked as the car passed by, and it was being driven by a woman who was like 90 years old and no way in hell could she possibly see over the dash.

The classic orangutan scenario.

FAX
02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
He also had a coronary and used the car battery and wiring harness to restart his heart. And, that was after he operated on himself and replaced his own liver with the fuel filter, a section of tire tread, and two spark plugs.

The man is a survivor, I tell you. Of course, he now makes a honking sound whenever he's at the mall.

FAX

milkman
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
The man is a survivor, I tell you. Of course, he now makes a honking sound whenever he's at the mall.

FAX

He was making that sound before.

It's called a "fart".

AndChiefs
02-15-2011, 11:47 AM
He was looking for the Country Kitchen buffet.

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/downloads/images/season-7/710/710_image-04.jpg

vailpass
02-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

We issue driver's licenses for a long time in AZ. My current license expires 2031. Hopefully it's different for the snow birds, don't know if they make them renew a little more often.

ModSocks
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Ugh,

I was waiting to get my picture taken at the DMV a few years ago when I looked over and saw this little old lady (maybe in her 70's?) taking the written test.....

with a freakin' magnifying glass.

:facepalm:

-King-
02-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Ugh,

I was waiting to get my picture taken at the DMV a few years ago when I looked over and saw this little old lady (maybe in her 70's?) taking the written test.....

with a freakin' magnifying glass.

:facepalm:

ROFLROFL

Rain Man
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Was this her?

milkman
02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Was this her?

LMAO

Hell, it might be.

Valiant
02-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Some person di something similar last night leaving the wendys off of antioch rd in the northland. pulled a uturn, stopped backed up and went back into wendys all on the wrong side of the road. The person almost me and two other cars wreck. One of which was a sheriff, took the sheriff a bit to turn around and go in after em.

FAX
02-15-2011, 02:29 PM
There was this one time when I drove up behind an unfortunate, elderly woman who was randomly weaving all over the road causing a great deal of anxiety and fear among both those in her path and those stacking up behind her. I felt really sorry for the poor, old lady since she was obviously having some sort of difficulty.

I did all I could do to help by driving up along side her car, flipping her off, and forcing her off the road and into a creek bed.

FAX

Saulbadguy
02-15-2011, 03:12 PM
BETTER NATE THAN LEVER!!

Stewie
02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Let's see. He lives in Arizona and his window washer fluid is probably water. I bet he diluted it with that Scotch he had under the driver's seat.

If it was washer fluid that cold climates use it would have made him sick as a dog. Either methyl alcohol or denatured alcohol.

FAX
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Bad news. They're reporting now that he had a wreck driving home from the hospital and died. Apparently, he couldn't see through his windshield.

FAX

Rain Man
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
There was this one time when I drove up behind an unfortunate, elderly woman who was randomly weaving all over the road causing a great deal of anxiety and fear among both those in her path and those stacking up behind her. I felt really sorry for the poor, old lady since she was obviously having some sort of difficulty.

I did all I could do to help by driving up along side her car, flipping her off, and forcing her off the road and into a creek bed.

FAX

If she had a dog in car you should have beaten and sexually assaulted her.

T-post Tom
02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
"Just Hank being Hank."

Another colloquialism that keeps on giving. :rolleyes:

HoneyBadger
02-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Let's see. He lives in Arizona and his window washer fluid is probably water. I bet he diluted it with that Scotch he had under the driver's seat.

If it was washer fluid that cold climates use it would have made him sick as a dog. Either methyl alcohol or denatured alcohol.

I'm not too sure he would use cold climate washer fluid in Arizona.

bowener
02-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Was Bobby or Peggy with him?

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2011, 03:57 AM
Heh, this is the closest thing to drinking antifreeze. Some washer fluids contain Ethylene glycol.

A story made for ChiefsPlanet...

Dayze
02-16-2011, 10:22 AM
BETTER NATE THAN LEVER!!

ROFL

i read that damn joke once.
at the end, I couldn't decide if I was pissed or humoroed by it.

Digital Takawira
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Too often senior citizens are just oblivious to their surroundings. A lot of them are every bit as dangerous as a drunk person driving. Its really cool that this guy was able to survive, but he drove 17 ****ing miles down a dirt road before realizing he went the wrong way?!
Posted via Mobile Device

THIS. times a million. eventually everyone's vision, hearing, and reaction time lowers with age. how is that any different that someone who is impaired from alcohol? at least the drunk will be sober when he wakes up in the morning. oldy is still old.

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2011, 08:10 AM
THIS. times a million. eventually everyone's vision, hearing, and reaction time lowers with age. how is that any different that someone who is impaired from alcohol? at least the drunk will be sober when he wakes up in the morning. oldy is still old.
I agree completely about old people being tested to drive more frequently, but comparing it to drunk driving is retarded. The difference is people can't help if they're old. People know better than to drink and drive.