PDA

View Full Version : Kiper Mock Draft 2.0

BigCatDaddy
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Newton moving up big time and I'm still shocked that an OLB is mocked to be in the top 10.

Carolina PanthersRecord: 2-14
* Nick Fairley, DT, AuburnFairley is hanging tough as my No. 1 overall player, remaining atop the latest Big Board. This is a defensive lineman with small weaknesses, such as leverage and composure, but he masks those as a dominant presence against the run, a remarkably instinctive pass-rusher who can overwhelm the opposition with speed, power or hand skills and explosiveness that would impress the late Reggie White. A safe pick in a draft position that will be hard to move from. And as I've said, a slight mean streak in a DT isn't the worst trait. Ask the Lions about Ndamukong Suh.

Denver BroncosRecord: 4-12
* Da'Quan Bowers, DE, ClemsonI can see Denver looking at Patrick Peterson here, but remember this is a team that could be looking at a system change up front. And in that vein, in Bowers the Broncos can take a player who could be a dominant pass-rusher as a 4-3 defensive end or stand up as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He is the most pure pass-rusher in the draft and can quickly add production at either spot. Further, given health and system changes, Denver can't assume great production from Elvis Dumervil. Bowers makes a lot of sense and can stay in orange.

Buffalo BillsRecord: 4-12
* Cam Newton, QB, AuburnFrom the day he landed on the Big Board for the first time, I've said that Newton's physical skills and underrated ability as a passer could lead him all the way to the top of the draft. In Buffalo, what you have is an ideal foundation for his career. The Bills can keep Ryan Fitzpatrick around and develop Newton at a slower pace. But given Newton's total package of skills and size, and his proven ability as a guy who can adapt, deal with adversity and win, he represents a real possibility to land in the top five.

Cincinnati BengalsRecord: 4-12
* A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

It's hard to find a safer pick at the wide receiver position in recent years. Green already has imposing size, making him a deep threat and obvious red zone option, but he also offers refined route-running, good speed and the ability to bring down anything thrown in his direction. As for the need, it's doubtful that either Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens will be back for Cincinnati, leaving a big void on the outside. Regardless of what happens with Carson Palmer, the Bengals need to find a new target, and Green is a safe option.

Arizona CardinalsRecord: 5-11
Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Joey Porter is unlikely to be back, and Miller would represent an immediate pass-rushing upgrade on the edge of Arizona's 3-4 scheme. The Texas A&M standout made his name in 2009 as a sack artist but developed a range of skills in 2010 and has become a complete player. He stands up well against the run and drops into coverage seamlessly.

Cleveland BrownsRecord: 5-11
* J.J. Watt, DE, WisconsinThis pick will surprise, but you have to consider the fit, not just the player. The Browns need to upgrade along the defensive line, and outside of the top two guys in this mock draft, you won't find a more consistently disruptive and versatile player along the defensive line than Watt, who can come in and provide immediate help as either a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive end (as the Browns adjust). He's a guy who can thrive regardless of the system. If Green still was sitting here, he would be a tantalizing option, but this might be a slight reach for Julio Jones.

San Francisco 49ersRecord: 6-10
* Patrick Peterson, CB, LSUSan Francisco has other needs -- in fact, I count three ahead of cornerback -- but Peterson would be too much to pass up here in terms of talent. A freakish athlete, he immediately steps in as a starter at corner, moving that to a position of strength for the Niners. Peterson also adds a dangerous element in the return game. A corner with safety size, Peterson won't need the NFL combine to assure evaluators of his physical skills.

Tennessee TitansRecord: 6-10
* Marcell Dareus, DE, AlabamaDareus is the rare player you can draft with almost no concern for systems. A player who can be a dominant pass-rusher from the 3-4 defensive end position, he also profiles to star in his more natural 4-3 defensive tackle position. I have defensive tackle as one of the top needs for Tennessee, which also could surprise some folks and take a quarterback here to develop if they bring back Kerry Collins. But for immediate help, Dareus is a safe pick.

Dallas CowboysRecord: 6-10
Prince Amukamara, CB, NebraskaAs with Peterson to San Fran, Cowboys fans might believe the team would be better suited addressing offensive tackle or even safety. But because the mock draft can't account for draft board trades, if the draft played out this way with the picks ahead of them, the Cowboys could do a lot worse than to grab the best pure technician at the corner position. Amukamara should transition quickly, and Terence Newman isn't getting any younger.

Washington RedskinsRecord: 6-10
* Blaine Gabbert, QB, MissouriGabbert might be more ready than Newton to read defenses at the NFL level, and as a quarterback with very good accuracy, instincts and size, he could come into a franchise in Washington that might need him early. Gabbert is a guy whose stock rose a lot this year and will be under the microscope during the workout process. But what he doesn't give you is a quarterback who elicits a wide range of opinions or the boom-or-bust concerns many have with Newton and Ryan Mallett.

Houston TexansRecord: 6-10
* Julio Jones, WR, AlabamaI can see Houston looking here for a fit at outside linebacker as well -- and I expect some surprised Texans fans -- but Jones is a hunch call as a perfect option to take some of the pressure off Andre Johnson. Jones has Johnson's size and as a physical receiver brings his lunch pail as a blocker. He can stretch the field, can work underneath and isn't a distant second to Green in terms of overall talent. A good option to take advantage of Matt Schaub's growth into an elite quarterback.

Minnesota VikingsRecord:6-10
* Robert Quinn, DE, North CarolinaMinnesota, like Houston, is a team that could use a safety but simply can't pick one within its value range if it stays at this position in the draft. In Quinn you have a guy whose skills as a pass-rusher might rival those of Bowers were he able to suit up this year for North Carolina. A first-rate athlete with an ideal skill set to become a Pro Bowl 4-3 defensive end, he's an immediate upgrade along the Vikings' defensive line.

Detroit LionsRecord: 6-10
Jimmy Smith, CB, ColoradoSmith is a late riser, a good player on a bad team and a guy who got less attention partly because quarterbacks wouldn't put a ball near him this past season. But the film is stacking up now, and it proves why NFL personnel are really high on him. The final test for Smith will be whether he grades out well in Indianapolis. Based on what I know, he will, and he offers the Lions the cornerback help they need without having to sacrifice on value at this stage in the draft.

St. Louis RamsRecord: 7-9
* Corey Liuget, DT, IllinoisA relentless player who plays powerfully and locates the ball extremely well against both the rush and the pass, Liuget fills a need spot for the Rams. If Jones still was on the board, I suspect St. Louis would target the receiver, but if he isn't and the Rams stay here, an interior lineman like Liuget offers much greater value than a reach on a wideout. I also can see the Rams going for an outside linebacker at this spot. Liuget has drawn more buzz from NFL folks, causing many to take a closer look. The reviews are very good.

Miami DolphinsRecord: 7-9
* Mark Ingram, RB, AlabamaSticking with this angle from the first mock, Miami goes with the top back on the board. Ingram will step in effectively for Ricky Williams and make sure the ground game doesn't lose a step, even if there's some turmoil at the quarterback position. Ingram runs with great pad level and leverage, and seems to explode from contact. Once he gets through the initial hole, he's a terror on the second level.

Jacksonville JaguarsRecord: 8-8
* Aldon Smith, OLB, MissouriJacksonville addressed the interior of its defensive line in last year's draft and sought out bandages at defensive end. With Smith, the Jags get a raw talent with the size to add sacks from that position. Smith is a guy who would be a potential lock for the top 10 if he stuck around for his senior year, so if the Jags soak up some of the developmental work, they could have a player long term.

New England Patriots (from Oakland)Record: 14-2
Cameron Jordan, DE, CaliforniaIn the previous mock, I had the Patriots taking Watt here. While his stock is up, Jordan is another player who has seen a jump since bowl season ended. A defensive end with the versatility to play either the 4-3 or the 3-4, his experience at the 3-4 at Cal makes him an ideal kind of Bill Belichick player. Smart, versatile and able to help the team in that role early.

San Diego ChargersRecord: 9-7
* Tyron Smith, OT, USCBecause of his length and build, Smith doesn't look like a mauler, but his outstanding footwork, athleticism and comfort as a blindside pass-protector make him an ideal fit to grow into the guy responsible for protecting Philip Rivers from that spot. The Chargers also could pursue a wideout, safety or defensive end, but based on this board, unless they move off the pick, Smith makes a lot of sense here. He's also very underrated as a run-blocker. Should continue to get better.

New York GiantsRecord: 10-6
Nate Solder, OT, ColoradoSolder is another tackle defined by his athletic frame and ability to move for the position. Probably not an immediate starter at left tackle because of developing pass-blocking skills, Solder still is a good value here. A player with a massive 6-foot-8 frame who manages good leverage at the point of attack, he gets good surge as a run-blocker and works well to the second level. No injury history and very smart, he should become a solid NFL starter in short order.

Tampa Bay BuccaneersRecord: 10-6
Adrian Clayborn, DE, IowaClayborn fits the Tampa system well and provides immediate help at a need position. A year after they addressed the interior of the line, with Gerald McCoy and Brian Price, the Bucs can use Clayborn to turn the defensive line into a long-term strength. Clayborn has good size, holds up well against the run and can battle big offensive lineman as a physical pass-rusher. He should hold the edge well and start early for Raheem Morris.

Kansas City ChiefsRecord: 10-6
* Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLAKansas City must draft an outside linebacker, and in Ayers the Chiefs get a player who can learn from Mike Vrabel if he's there or step in for him immediately if he's not. Ayers is known for freak athleticism, but his versatility is the real draw. He has good skills as a pass-rusher, can drop off into coverage and holds up well in the run game. A sound fit for KC's scheme.

Indianapolis ColtsRecord: 10-6
Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston CollegeOne more that stays the same from the first mock draft. The Colts must strengthen their line to improve the running game and keep heat off Peyton Manning. Castonzo offers stability as a versatile tackle who will never miss a snap. He could add some bulk, but that's not the most difficult area to address. With well-above-average smarts, awareness and work rate, he fits well in Indy at a position the Colts need to fill.

Philadelphia EaglesRecord: 10-6
Gabe Carimi, OT, WisconsinHere's a pick where value meets need. Philadelphia should look inside on both sides of the ball, because aside from secondary help, the Eagles have great pieces in place at offensive skill positions and linebacker. In Carimi they get a guy who loves to run block and will sustain his blocks into the second level. He plays with an edge and should develop as a pass-blocker. His film against some big-time prospects this past season shows a guy ready to contribute.

New Orleans SaintsRecord: 11-5
* Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, TempleThe Saints must improve their front seven on defense, from the interior to defensive end, and target an outside linebacker. Athletic enough to be a penetrator as a 3-4 defensive end, Wilkerson profiles similarly to Dareus as a guy who can get to the quarterback from the inside of that 4-3. He would be a potential top-10 pick were he to stay in Philadelphia for another year. The Saints get good value without having to trade up at a position of need.

Seattle SeahawksRecord: 7-9
Mike Pouncey, G/C, FloridaWhen Seattle was at its best, it was a running team built behind the left side of Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson. The Hawks addressed the tackle position in last year's draft, adding Russell Okung for the left tackle spot. Pouncey, who has good bloodlines and good smarts as an interior blocker, can help at either guard or center. Seattle needs better blocking after starting many different line combinations this past season, and Pouncey will shore it up.

Baltimore RavensRecord: 12-4
* Aaron Williams, CB, TexasThe Ravens notably didn't take a cornerback with any of their picks in 2010, and Williams is a good fit at this spot in a position of need. A burner, Williams can be overly aggressive sometimes as a guy hunting for the turnover, but combine that trait with a little refinement (and a good pass rush) and you have a player who should create turnovers. Aggressive as a tackler, he fits in with a physical Ravens unit.

Atlanta FalconsRecord: 13-3
Ryan Kerrigan, DE, PurdueBehind a wideout who can take some of the pressure off Roddy White, defensive end is the top position of need I see on the Falcons. Kerrigan led the nation in tackles for loss as a senior and is the kind of rusher coaches have to plan for because he can require help. Combine an improving array of moves with a relentless attitude, and he should be able to contribute early on passing downs and develop into a complete 4-3 defensive end.

New England PatriotsRecord: 14-2
* Torrey Smith, WR, MarylandThe Patriots did a great job of changing their passing game by adding top-end pass-catching talent at the tight end position last year, and while they have some talent at wide receiver, Wes Welker is by no means a player who can stretch the field, and Deion Branch isn't a player defenses worry about with the deep ball. Smith adds speed and the chance to turn short catches into touchdowns. He will develop as a deep threat as well. New England shouldn't wonder whether it gave Tom Brady enough weapons.

Chicago BearsRecord: 11-5
Ben Ijalana, OT, VillanovaWhile the questions after a playoff loss centered around the toughness of the quarterback, many Bears fans forgot that Jay Cutler was hit as much or more than any other QB in the league all season. Even on many of his good plays, he was dodging rushers. The Bears did some decent work on their line in last year's draft with a late steal but should attack it early in 2011. Ijalana offers versatilty and the ability to step in early. Solid fit.

New York JetsRecord: 11-5
* Rahim Moore, S, UCLAI'm split between my own gut and sources on what the Jets could do here. They have to improve the defensive line, but it's also a deep draft at those positions. Moore represents great value at a need position, the top safety in the draft and a guy who can fly all over the field to intercept passes for coach Rex Ryan, who knows how to get pressure and create forced throws.

Pittsburgh SteelersRecord: 12-4
Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.Pittsburgh needs help at a couple of positions on the defensive line, and that makes Heyward an ideal pick as a player who has shown a lot of versatility in his career in Columbus. With his size, Heyward fits well as a 3-4 defensive end in Dick LeBeau's scheme, and as an experienced player who is solid against both the run and pass, he could be called on early.
Green Bay PackersRecord: 10-6

* Justin Houston, OLB, GeorgiaWe know the Packers are set at one outside linebacker position. The question now is whom they can get to provide pressure and matchup problems on the other side. Houston has the ideal frame, quickness and pass-rushing skills to develop into a rusher who can give Dom Capers all kinds of options in terms of how he attacks opposing quarterbacks. Remember: As long as the Green Bay offense is as good as it is, the Packers must prepare for opposing teams to be throwing a lot as they play catch-up. Houston fits the system nicely.

Chiefnj2
02-17-2011, 11:21 AM
I still don't get the Ayers love. I'm sure he's going to wow people with his athleticism at workouts, but when I see his highlights and clips over at youtube, I am completely underwhelmed. He does not seem overly physical.

BigCatDaddy
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
I still don't get the Ayers love. I'm sure he's going to wow people with his athleticism at workouts, but when I see his highlights and clips over at youtube, I am completely underwhelmed. He does not seem overly physical.

I think we are in a good spot to trade down and still get a solild OLB if that's the way they want to go.

Nightfyre
02-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Ayers upside is through the roof. I wouldn't hate the pick.

the Talking Can
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
we can do anything...there will be several WR/OL/OLB/NT options where we are or if we choose to drop....I have to think Pioli has been waiting to get his wheel-and-deal thing going a la the pats..

Bowser
02-17-2011, 01:33 PM
As a Mizzou fan, I'd hate to see Gabbert end up on the trainwreck that is the Washington Redskins.

jd1020
02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm liking the Ayers pick. He's a perfect fit in KC, imo. We need someone to line up opposite Hali and with some teaching and his athleticism he should be a damn good pass rusher. We also desperately need someone that can D up a god damn TE.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
As much as I'd love Ayers, I'm fully expecting us to move out of the first round all together.

jd1020
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
As much as I'd love Ayers, I'm fully expecting us to move out of the first round all together.

I wouldnt mind trading down but thats going to be a hard sell unless someone unexpectedly falls flat on their face.

BigCatDaddy
02-17-2011, 02:08 PM
I wouldnt mind trading down but thats going to be a hard sell unless someone unexpectedly falls flat on their face.

Lot's of good QB talent to be had here. Maybe someone like Mallet or Locker is sitting there and someone wants to move up for them. Maybe Gabbert slides. You never know.

jd1020
02-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Lot's of good QB talent to be had here. Maybe someone like Mallet is sitting there for the taking.

How many scouts still consider Mallet good value in the first? Unless Seattle is going to come right out with their intentions, no team is going to leap frog them to pick Mallet at 21.

BigCatDaddy
02-17-2011, 02:13 PM
How many scouts still consider Mallet good value in the first? Unless Seattle is going to come right out with their intentions, no team is going to leap frog them to pick Mallet at 21.

It's too early to say. If he lites it up at a pro day and combine or anyone else for that matter then maybe. Depending on what happens in the first of the draft some top of the 2nd round teams might be wanting to get back in and get a QB.

bowener
02-17-2011, 02:14 PM

It only takes one retard... I give you the 2010 Denver broncos as an example.

edit: I know they didn't trade up, btw.

BigCatDaddy
02-17-2011, 02:15 PM
It only takes one retard... I give you the 2010 Denver broncos as an example.

Yeah, I miss Josh McDaniels already.

I was thinking more like the Brady Quinn situation.

jd1020
02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
It's too early to say. If he lites it up at a pro day and combine or anyone else for that matter then maybe. Depending on what happens in the first of the draft some top of the 2nd round teams might be wanting to get back in and get a QB.

What teams past the Chiefs might possibly be looking at QB in the 1st? Only 1... Seattle.

suds79
02-17-2011, 02:32 PM
What teams past the Chiefs might possibly be looking at QB in the 1st? Only 1... Seattle.

I hope Seattle gives into local pressure and takes Locker.

That would be hilarious.

Quesadilla Joe
02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
The Chiefs would be a much better team if Pioli would switch them to a 4-3. This is the best draft in the last 10 years for 4-3 DE's. A Hali, Dorsey, Jackson, Quinn/Smith/Clayborn/Kerrigan DL would be much better than having Dorsey play out of position with no NT.

I welcome going back to the 4-3 because so many teams are switching to the 3-4 nowadays that it is nearly impossible to land the few DL in the draft that actually fit the system.

the Talking Can
02-17-2011, 02:51 PM
The Chiefs would be a much better team if Pioli would switch them to a 4-3. This is the best draft in the last 10 years for 4-3 DE's. A Hali, Dorsey, Jackson, Quinn/Smith/Clayborn/Kerrigan DL would be much better than having Dorsey play out of position with no NT.

I welcome going back to the 4-3 because so many teams are switching to the 3-4 nowadays that it is nearly impossible to land the few DL in the draft that actually fit the system.

you've set the record for most face slapping-ly stupid posts in a year....you can ease off now...

doomy3
02-17-2011, 03:12 PM
you've set the record for most face slapping-ly stupid posts in a year....you can ease off now...

Well, except for the fact that he is absolutely right in this instance.

the Talking Can
02-17-2011, 03:28 PM

you're right, except that he's not which means you're wrong......

doomy3
02-17-2011, 03:36 PM
you're right, except that he's not which means you're wrong......

So, you don't think that our defense has players better suited to play a 4-3? I definitely think so, and agree with knowmo that there will be better talent for the 4-3 at our pick.

Bewbies
02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
So, you don't think that our defense has players better suited to play a 4-3? I definitely think so, and agree with knowmo that there will be better talent for the 4-3 at our pick.

I MUST OWN THESE GLASSES YOU HAVE THAT SHOWS US THE FUTURE!

suds79
02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Why are we still talking about the 4-3? Never going to happen under Scott people. Move along.

the Talking Can
02-17-2011, 05:28 PM

no

Dorsey is a stud 3-4 DE
Smith was FA trash and played solid-to-at-times great as a 3-4 DE
Hali is arguably the best pass rusher in the league as a 3-4 olb, and he is 10x the impact player in a 3-4 than he was in a 4-3
DJ had the best season of his career in a 3-4
Belcher is a 3-4 backer all the way, and in no way has the range to man a 4-3...

all we need is a NT and an lb to be a top-10 defense consistently....

oh yeah, and our DC - the best we've had in ages, the guy with Rings - is a 3-4 guru

switching now would be fairly retarded....cue knowmo....

Chiefnj2
02-17-2011, 09:51 PM

How is he right? In the mock draft being used as an example, you potentially miss out on Kerrigan if you play a 34, but have Houston and Heyward available.

It's actually one of the deepest drafts for a 34 end if you wanted to go in that direction.

Chiefshrink
02-18-2011, 12:24 AM
we can do anything...there will be several WR/OL/OLB/NT options where we are or if we choose to drop....I have to think Pioli has been waiting to get his wheel-and-deal thing going a la the pats..

THIS! He will start stockpiling picks for sure:thumb:

Dave Lane
02-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I miss Josh McDaniels already.

I was thinking more like the Brady Quinn situation.

Oh and bye the bye the quote you have from me is actually from the CNN article I cut and pasted.

RealSNR
02-19-2011, 08:53 PM
All of Herm's talent finally thrived in the 3-4. We're now firmly a 3-4 team... we're not in transition mode anymore.

What do some people suggest?

Switch back.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sL5APUwV1Qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HotRoute
02-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Pouncey ....... FTW

buddha
03-02-2011, 01:52 PM
no

Dorsey is a stud 3-4 DE
Smith was FA trash and played solid-to-at-times great as a 3-4 DE
Hali is arguably the best pass rusher in the league as a 3-4 olb, and he is 10x the impact player in a 3-4 than he was in a 4-3
DJ had the best season of his career in a 3-4
Belcher is a 3-4 backer all the way, and in no way has the range to man a 4-3...

all we need is a NT and an lb to be a top-10 defense consistently....

oh yeah, and our DC - the best we've had in ages, the guy with Rings - is a 3-4 guru

switching now would be fairly retarded....cue knowmo....

I'm against switching, and it doesn't really matter because it's not going to happen. I don't agree with your player evaluations for the most part. You are much higher on all of the guys you mentioned than I am, and I suspect most others. DJ woke up and played some ball for the first half of the season, then slipped back into suck after that. Half a season doesn't cut it. Hali is better, but not the best pass rusher in the league. Smith was a huge surprise...I like this kid. He's nasty as shit. Dorsey IS NOT a study DE...he just isn't. He played decently at times and disappeared far too much. Belcher is a warm body...we need to upgrade that position badly.

We are far from two players away from a consistent top 10 defense.

Nightfyre
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm against switching, and it doesn't really matter because it's not going to happen. I don't agree with your player evaluations for the most part. You are much higher on all of the guys you mentioned than I am, and I suspect most others. DJ woke up and played some ball for the first half of the season, then slipped back into suck after that. Half a season doesn't cut it. Hali is better, but not the best pass rusher in the league. Smith was a huge surprise...I like this kid. He's nasty as shit. Dorsey IS NOT a study DE...he just isn't. He played decently at times and disappeared far too much. Belcher is a warm body...we need to upgrade that position badly.

We are far from two players away from a consistent top 10 defense.

I don't agree at all. Our secondary should be amazing this year. Our ilbs haven't really had a fair shot last year given the lack of beef in the middle of the line. We need a nt, really who can collapse the pocket and command double to triple teams. Add a utility olb and we are golden.

Trevo_410
03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
ayers would be best pick,,, i like his versatility, which is exactly what we need to replace vrabel. he can cover TE's pass rush, team captain, and the list goes on...

MahiMike
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Julio Jones opposite Andre Johnson? Holy crap!

Trevo_410
03-07-2011, 10:16 PM
there is no way the texans go wr in the first, they have enough problems on the other side of the ball,,, particularly their secondary.

RustShack
03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
there is no way the texans go wr in the first, they have enough problems on the other side of the ball,,, particularly their secondary.

Don't they draft defense in the first every year?

milkman
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Don't they draft defense in the first every year?

6 of 9 first round picks have been on the defensive side.

On another note, at what point do we come to the realization that Schaub isn't going to develop into an elite QB?

He's been in the league for 7 years.

keg in kc
03-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Dorsey disappears only because he's the only threat they have on the defensive line. With better play from the nose, better play from the other end, and another OLB to account for, both he and Hali will be even better players. Right now they and to a lesser degree the ILBs are the only guys offenses really have to account for.

Bewbies
03-08-2011, 02:35 PM
6 of 9 first round picks have been on the defensive side.

On another note, at what point do we come to the realization that Schaub isn't going to develop into an elite QB?

He's been in the league for 7 years.

So you're saying they are a lot like us? :doh!:

BigCatDaddy
03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
3.0 Out

Carolina PanthersRecord: 2-14
* Blaine Gabbert, QB, MissouriThere's a thought process here that goes beyond need. For one, Gabbert impressed in Indy, and his pro day next week will help determine if he has the potential to land here. Two, I expect any labor deal that gets worked out will create a rookie salary scale that limits the massive bonuses for top picks, making it easier to trade up and down in the draft, which has become increasingly difficult. So it makes sense for Carolina to project that it could take one of the top quarterbacks and open up the trade options, in essence, saying, "To guarantee a shot at the one you prefer, talk to us." Lastly, while I still believe in Jimmy Clausen's chances given his youth, Ron Rivera could not be blamed for targeting his own vision of a franchise quarterback with a pick here or via free agency. It's a leverage position now, but also a potential pick. Part of it is up to Gabbert.

Denver BroncosRecord: 4-12
* Nick Fairley, DT, AuburnThe Broncos are between defensive systems and have major needs along the defensive line, where their ability to stop the run was a problem, as was their pass rush, and they have a shot to take the best defensive lineman in a remarkably deep class. While many saw John Fox and John Elway watching the Auburn pro day closely, I believe that more of the conversations were focused on Fairley. He is scheme-versatile, very athletic for his size (which is back to 297 pounds as of yesterday) and a devastating penetrator at tackle; he helps immediately.

Buffalo BillsRecord: 4-12
* Marcell Dareus, DT, AlabamaMany were surprised at Dareus' measurements at the combine, where he weighed in at 319 pounds. And while Chan Gailey says his 2011 defense could resemble a hybrid -- either a 3-4 or a 4-3 depending on available personnel and matchups -- Dareus is a player who can fit any scheme well. With great quickness for his size, he can take up blockers and still provide a push as a 3-4 defensive end, perhaps solidifying that scheme for the Bills. A safe pick at No. 3.

Cincinnati BengalsRecord: 4-12
* Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

In 2003, Marvin Lewis' first year as head coach with the Bengals, the franchise drafted Carson Palmer, and had the discipline to start Jon Kitna all season and let Palmer learn the system while waiting to step in as the franchise quarterback. With Palmer on his way out, Lewis could do something similar in 2011, drafting Newton, letting him take a year to learn the system and plugging in an interim solution in the meantime. The Bengals could also consider moving this pick, similar to Carolina's position with Gabbert.

Arizona CardinalsRecord: 5-11
Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

I'm sticking with this selection from the last mock. Joey Porter won't be back and Miller would represent an immediate pass-rushing upgrade on the edge of Arizona's 3-4 scheme. Miller, who has come a long way since a junior year in which he was considered mainly a sack artist, could certainly provide a pass-rushing presence for the Cardinals, but also has a great deal of athleticism and should hold up for three downs in this system.

Cleveland BrownsRecord: 5-11
* A.J. Green, WR, GeorgiaGreen answered all the necessary questions at the NFL combine, checking in just a hair under his listed 6-foot-4, with a 211-pound frame that could easily take on a little more weight, and his 4.48 speed in the 40 was solid given his size. In Green you have a player with the profile of an immediate impact talent at wide receiver and a solution on the outside in Cleveland, where they are desperate for a true No. 1 wideout. He's a perfect fit, and it's hard to imagine the Browns passing on him if he's around. (Especially if they ask Colt McCoy for an opinion.)

San Francisco 49ersRecord: 6-10
* Patrick Peterson, CB, LSUThere were a lot of comments questioning why I could see my No. 1 overall Big Board player dropping this far on draft day. But consider the history: In 1987, I had Rod Woodson rated similarly, and he fell to No. 10 overall. In 1989, Deion Sanders was far and away the best athlete on the board -- he fell to No. 5. Champ Bailey was my best athlete and the top corner available in the 1999 draft, and he fell to No. 7. At this position, it simply happens and San Francisco should be happy if it does. Peterson is an immense talent. He checked in at 219 pounds and ran a 4.34 40 time in Indy. Enough said.

Tennessee TitansRecord: 6-10
* Da'Quan Bowers, DE, ClemsonA tremendous natural pass-rusher, Bowers falls a little because of needs elsewhere before this pick and because of some very small but lingering questions about his knee. He was unable to work out in Indy as a precaution with his recovery. Tennessee targeted its pass rush in the first round last year, but Bowers simply represents too much value at this position and with the pass rush still in need of an upgrade, he provides immediate help as well.

Dallas CowboysRecord: 6-10
Prince Amukamara, CB, NebraskaThis is a pick I've stuck with through the first two mocks. Again, because the mock draft can't account for draft board trades -- the Cowboys could certainly deal down the board, particularly if they target the offensive line -- Dallas could do a lot worse than to grab the best pure technician at the corner position. Amukamara should transition quickly, has shown the requisite speed for a top-10 pick at the position and has a really solid frame at 206 pounds. Any whispers that this guy could project better at safety are unfounded. He's a potential Pro Bowl corner.

Washington RedskinsRecord: 6-10
* Julio Jones, WR, AlabamaThe Redskins are certainly back in the market at the quarterback position, but if they don't do something to upgrade the talent at the wide receiver position, it won't matter who they have in there. In Jones you have a physical talent who still offers a lot of upside but already has good hands, great blocking skills and the ability to beat people deep or work the middle. He blazed to a 4.39 40 in Indy while carrying 220 pounds. Jones does carry some durability concerns, but has shown the ability to play through nicks.

Houston TexansRecord: 6-10
* J.J. Watt, DE, WisconsinWade Phillips will love Watt, a big, aggressive, smart and scheme-versatile defensive end who can offer an immediate help for a defense in need of bodies for the front seven. At 290 pounds, with a really good burst and a relentless nature, you can do a lot with Watt along the defensive line. Houston has to find some pass-rush help to complement the great Mario Williams, and this is a good place to look.

Minnesota VikingsRecord:6-10
* Robert Quinn, DE, North CarolinaMinnesota has other needs, but if they remain here, a value like Quinn -- literally a guy who some might consider a potential No. 1 overall pick -- is too much to pass up at this position in the draft. Quinn combines power and athleticism, is a gifted natural pass-rusher, has great character and no health questions after not playing a down for North Carolina in 2010. If he falls to this point we could look back and call him the steal of the draft.

Detroit LionsRecord: 6-10
* Tyron Smith, OT, USCDetroit has to improve at the cornerback position, but unless they trade down the value isn't really available right here. The other big area of concern is the offensive line, where they need to do everything possible to keep Matthew Stafford upright in 2011, a year anyone can see is absolutely crucial to his development. Smith has added necessary bulk without losing much in the way of athleticism and offers a potential long-term solution at left tackle. An underrated run-blocker, he can also help pave the way for more from Jahvid Best.

St. Louis RamsRecord: 7-9
* Corey Liuget, DT, IllinoisA relentless player who displays leverage, power and the ability to locate the ball well against both the rush and the pass, Liuget fills a need spot for the Rams and is a player I'm sticking with here from the last mock. If a receiver were to fall to this position, I think St. Louis would jump, but like Detroit in front of them, their position of biggest need doesn't offer a sensible value matchup right here. I also can see the Rams going for an outside linebacker at this spot. Liuget solidified his elevated stock in Indy and has moved up in a deep defensive line class.

Miami DolphinsRecord: 7-9
* Mark Ingram, RB, AlabamaSticking with this angle from the first and second mocks, Miami goes with the top back on the board. It says a lot for Ingram that he really won't drop among evaluators even without a good 40 at the combine, because he was never expected to shine there. Ingram is a producer -- he has great balance, runs with great pad level, balance and leverage, and explodes from contact. Once he gets through the initial hole, he's a terror on the second level. Miami just makes sense for him.

Jacksonville JaguarsRecord: 8-8
* Aldon Smith, OLB, MissouriSmith offers a raw talent package with a lot of upside. He's a player who could easily have been a top-10 pick in 2012 had he stuck around Missouri for another year of development. The Jags went for veterans to spackle over the holes at defensive end last year, but it's time to develop some edge talent to go with what is a really promising defensive interior.

New England Patriots (from Oakland)Record: 14-2
Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, PurdueKerrigan answered a lot of questions about his athleticism in Indy and has shown that he might not be the tweener many believe he is, a player seemingly stuck between a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE. While I don't see him as a guy who'll be dropping back and covering very well early on, Kerrigan is smart and simply has a gift for getting to the quarterback. New England needs a guy like him for all the passes they'll continue to face when up in games. Kerrigan led the nation in tackles for loss last year and shows good leverage against the run to go with his obvious pass-rushing skill set.

San Diego ChargersRecord: 9-7
Cameron Jordan, DE, CalSan Diego could go a few ways with this pick, but for a team that feels close to being back among the NFL elite, Jordan is a guy ready to help immediately. An experienced player who thrived as a 3-4 defensive end at Cal, he should adapt quickly and provide early production. A force against both the run or the pass, he combines leverage, pass-rush skills and instincts with underrated athleticism. The bloodlines are a bonus.

New York GiantsRecord: 10-6
Mike Pouncey, G/C, FloridaPouncey's brother was taken at No. 18 overall last year and became a Pro Bowl player in his first year with the Steelers. Mike offers a very similar skill set to Maurkice's. He can play guard or center, gets to the second level very well and should help the Giants in the running game. New York is a much better team when they have a running game that takes the heat off Eli Manning, and it should start up front.

Tampa Bay BuccaneersRecord: 10-6
* Justin Houston, DE, GeorgiaA rare player who had NFL personnel people doing a reappraisal after he weighed in at the combine at a full 270 pounds on a 6-foot-3 frame, Houston is now a legit prospect as a 4-3 defensive end with a developing set of pass-rushing skills. Tampa addressed the interior of that defensive line early in last year's draft and getting to opposing quarterbacks from the edge has to be a goal in the 2011 draft. Houston could be a steal if he develops.

Kansas City ChiefsRecord: 10-6
* Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLAAyers surprised a lot of people with some mediocre workouts two weeks ago, given his reputation for athleticism, but that can't drop him too far, because the tape doesn't lie and his skill set is such that he can help a team early. A good fit on the edge in the Chiefs' system, Ayers fills an obvious need at outside linebacker in the 3-4 and isn't just a pass-rusher. More in the Mike Vrabel mold, he can cover, rush and tackle well against the run.

Indianapolis ColtsRecord: 10-6
Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston CollegeOne more that stays the same from previous mocks, I just really like the fit. The Colts have shown their age on the offensive line and even while Peyton Manning is a maestro working out of the shotgun, they need to be able to do more both in the run game and in pass protection. Castonzo is a smart, versatile tackle who has been consistently rated as a first-round tackle option. He's added bulk and with good awareness footwork, he fits well in Indy at a position the Colts need to fill.

Philadelphia EaglesRecord: 10-6
Gabe Carimi, OT, WisconsinPhiladelphia should be targeting the line on both sides of the ball. They could also consider secondary help, but might consider that a slight reach here. In Carimi they get a guy who loves to run block and will sustain those blocks. He battled a number of top defensive ends in Big Ten play and could fill in at either tackle position early, potentially starting on the right side with the goal to become a starting left tackle in what should be an explosive offense.

New Orleans SaintsRecord: 11-5
* Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, TempleWilkerson is a player who has seen his stock rise during the draft process. He's a penetrator from the tackle position and could be a cheaper version of Dareus as a guy who can get to the quarterback from the inside. He's scheme-versatile given his size and speed and I've said before that he would be a top-10 pick were he to stay at Temple for another year. The Saints get good value without having to trade up at a position of need and a potential steal if the development continues. Wilkerson was all but unblockable last season.

Seattle SeahawksRecord: 7-9
Jake Locker, QB, WashingtonAfter a season widely considered disastrous in terms of his overall draft stock, I have Locker bouncing back some during the lead-up to the draft. He was impressive enough at the combine and proved that he's every bit the athlete that Newton is (they ran identical times in the 40). He has a big-time arm and just needs to show that his accuracy is something that will develop when he has time to throw. This isn't an endorsement of Locker as a guy who should step in and start for the Seahawks if Matt Hasselbeck isn't back in 2011, but even if Seattle makes a move for a short-term answer at quarterback, Locker could be hard to pass up if Pete Carroll thinks he's a solution for the long run.

Baltimore RavensRecord: 12-4
* Jimmy Smith, CB, ColoradoThe Ravens notably didn't take a cornerback with any of their picks in 2010 and while I had them picking another corner in this spot in a previous mock, Smith has proved that he has all the physical tools. With the Ravens' leadership on defense in the form of Ray Lewis, he has a chance to be a steal if his attitude matches his skill set. A burner with shut-down skills, good ball awareness and elite size for the position, he adds immediate depth with the chance to start early.

Atlanta FalconsRecord: 13-3
Adrian Clayborn, DE, IowaThe Falcons are a solid team without a true glaring need, but a 4-3 defensive end with the ability to rush the passer and great awareness and discipline against the run can help them in 2011. Clayborn has good size, a reputation for relentlessness and the respect of his peers -- Carimi called him the best defensive end he'd faced at the college level.

New England PatriotsRecord: 14-2
Leonard Hankerson, WR, MiamiThere are no questions about Hankerson's hands and his speed is no longer in question. The Patriots have the underneath options, but could use a threat that can stretch defenses and cause matchup problems against smaller corners, and Hankerson provides that. At 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds, he's a physical wideout and creates another option for Tom Brady. The Patriots are a difficult team to project in this draft, because they have so much flexibility with all the picks -- they could target the best player on their board at a number of positions and still address needs all over.

Chicago BearsRecord: 11-5
Nate Solder, OT, ColoradoChicago should be thrilled if Solder is available here. He has added bulk to a 6-foot-8 frame, making him a guy who could help in a run game that really fell off in 2010. All the questions about his toughness aside, Chicago let Jay Cutler take far too many hits over the last two seasons and Mike Martz isn't reluctant to run the ball if he has an offensive line he can run behind with consistency.

New York JetsRecord: 11-5
* Rahim Moore, S, UCLAI remain split on what the Jets could do here. It's not a secret that they must improve the defensive line from a pass-rush and depth standpoint, but in a deep draft at those positions, Rex Ryan should feel confident that he can get help later. Moore is the top safety in the class and a guy who can cause even more problems for opposing quarterbacks facing down the creative Jets blitz packages. He can help create takeaways in the middle of the field.

Pittsburgh SteelersRecord: 12-4
Danny Watkins, OG, BaylorPittsburgh needs help on the offensive line and Watkins is a versatile player who can play multiple positions for them. They hit a home run drafting a versatile offensive lineman in Round 1 last year and Watkins offers more of that. The Steelers could also target the defensive line, but the offensive side of the ball is a bigger need, and, like the Jets, they can add help to the front of their 3-4 set with a later pick.

Green Bay PackersRecord: 10-6
Brooks Reed, OLB, ArizonaAt about 260 pounds, Reed is a productive player who profiles well as a rushing 3-4 outside linebacker who could help take some pressure off Clay Matthews in Dom Capers' system. A smart player with above-average quickness, he's a sleeper in this class, as a player who can get after the passer, but also shows instincts as a guy who can drop into coverage

Ebolapox
03-18-2011, 09:08 AM
feh.