PDA

View Full Version : Money U.S. Passport

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
A first time U.S. passport costs $165. What do they use that money for? I am going to be pissed if I get to my cruise and they say I don't need a passport. I am 90% certain I will never use it again. I rarely travel and I certainly highly doubt I travel out of the U.S. again. I am scared of the ocean dammit.

Rant over/

Skyy God
02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
You'll need a passport.

Next time, stay in the states, Okie. ;)

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
I've spent 2400 on the cruise, plane tickets, and hotel for this cruise for her. I would've been just fine going to Oklahoma city and chilling for a few days. I hate traveling.

Donger
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Mine was free.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
I got mine in like 10 days and I remember it being $135-ish. When do you leave on your cruise?

Slainte
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
A first time U.S. passport costs $165.

ROFL

You were ripped off, rube.

Phobia
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Where is your cruise going? If you stay in US Territories, you won't need one.

Bwana
02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
A first time U.S. passport costs $165. What do they use that money for? I am going to be pissed if I get to my cruise and they say I don't need a passport. I am 90% certain I will never use it again. I rarely travel and I certainly highly doubt I travel out of the U.S. again. I am scared of the ocean dammit.

Rant over/

Where did you end up booking it for?

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
May 21st.

$140 application fee and $25 for execution fee. What the rock is an execution fee?

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Where did you end up booking it for?

Leaves from the Port of Miami, hits key west and then cozumel, mexico.

jiveturkey
02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
May 21st.

$140 application fee and $25 for execution fee. What the rock is an execution fee?That's just in case you get captured by pirates.

Bwana
02-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Awww, it's the Mexico leg of the trip that killed you. Well, have fun!

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Awww, it's the Mexico leg of the trip that killed you. Well, have fun!

I was a noob when I booked it, so I had no idea they'd trick me. I should just not get off the ship that way they can't make me get one.

Slainte
02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Passport cards cost $45. That's all you needed if you're not flying into the US...

bobbymitch
02-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Ya can get into Mexico and Canada without a passport. Ya just can't get back in to the good ole US without it.

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Passport cards cost $45. That's all you needed if you're not flying into the US...

Anybody validate this?

Do I need a book too?

Bwana
02-21-2011, 03:56 PM
I was a noob when I booked it, so I had no idea they'd trick me. I should just not get off the ship that way they can't make me get one.

It would be my guess that by the time you are on a ship that long, you will be fired up to get off. Besides, if you don't leave the ship, you will pass up a premium opportunity to get a smoking deal on Mexican chicklets!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OJF5UuTUiHw/S_vk6sZqbAI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/uJPg8OSHlhk/s1600/chiclets.jpg

alnorth
02-21-2011, 03:57 PM

yep. Cruise + Mexico = passport.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Anybody validate this?

Do I need a book too?

yes get a book don't just get the card. i mean i guess if youre positive youll NEVER need the book, but you might as well pay a litle extra to get it.

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Please select the document (or documents) for which you are applying:
The U.S. passport card may only be used for international travel by land or sea between the United States,
Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Please visit our website for detailed information.

This was on the application. Does this mean I only need a card or will I have to get both since I don't have a passport book?

AustinChief
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM

yep, as long as you stick with Canada, Mexico, Bermuda... and stick to land or sea... you are good to go with just the card.

AustinChief
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Please select the document (or documents) for which you are applying:
The U.S. passport card may only be used for international travel by land or sea between the United States,
Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Please visit our website for detailed information.

This was on the application. Does this mean I only need a card or will I have to get both since I don't have a passport book?

I would get both just to have them.. but you only NEED the card... UNLESS something goes wrong, you get kicked off the cruise and you get stuck in Mexico and have to fly home... the card won't work then... you'd end up on a bus to get home.

alnorth
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
You should pay for the book. (Not both, it doesn't make much sense to get both) Yes, I think you can go on the cruise with just a passport card, but it is only good for land and sea travel to canada and mexico. (the card wont work for flights)

The passport book is good for 10 years, and laws can change.

Getting the card to save a hundred bucks makes sense only if you are positive that you will never go outside of Canada/US/Mexico and will never fly anywhere outside the US for the next 10 years. If you have to get at least a card anyway, you may as well get the book while your at it, because 10 years is an awfully long time.

Aside from that, the passport book is cool anyway, with patriotic art on each page.

edit: if you are a mega-frequent traveler to mexico or canada then it could make sense to get both the book and the card. The book only has a finite number of pages.

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
So much confusion. I've never been further than Arkansas on my east and Colorado on the west and I've never had the desire to really go out of the U.S. I'd have to win something to leave.

loochy
02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
So much confusion. I've never been further than Arkansas on my east and Colorado on the west and I've never had the desire to really go out of the U.S. I'd have to win something to leave.

It's not confusing. Get the book and be done with it.

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
It's not confusing. Get the book and be done with it.

Just a poor college student trying to save money.

loochy
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Just a poor college student trying to save money.

I know, but it's good for 10 years and you never know where you'll be going in that time frame. It's something that is worthwhile to spend on.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I know, but it's good for 10 years and you never know where you'll be going in that time frame. It's something that is worthwhile to spend on.

It's like an extra 25 bucks lol

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM

the book is an extra $80...that's food for a month for us.

loochy
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Hey, I went through my poor college student phase. I know how it is. $25....that's like 10 beers on a Wednesday night!

Pants
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Mine was free.

Government shill. 'Nuff said.

go bo
02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
May 21st.

$140 application fee and $25 for execution fee. What the rock is an execution fee?don't ask...

BigRedChief
02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
WTF dude, don't even think of leaving the USA without a passport, Pay the money and forget that card. You go to Mexico without a passport you are playing with fire.

You must have a passport to get on the ship and get back on the ship.

KCUnited
02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Get the book, it's so easy a ____________ can do it.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-21-2011, 06:37 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WS3RBsJgqs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PunkinDrublic
02-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Dude get the passport. You say you'll never use it again but what are you going to do when you want a new wife that doesn't talk back?

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Already paid for it. Just think $165 is rediculous.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
It makes traveling about 1/10 the pain in the ass it can be whenever pulling your ID in and out of your wallet. Fly enough and merely doing that makes it worth it.

WhitiE
02-21-2011, 07:25 PM

we were supposed to go to Cozumel, but then everyone was getting sick so we went to the grand caymen and jamaca

alpha_omega
02-21-2011, 07:29 PM

This.

HMc
02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
what sort of freak decides when they'er at college that they'll never leave the country?

That's just weird.

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Wait until you start hitting "reciprocity fees". That's when you'll really say fuck the US. What do they use -that- money for?

googlegoogle
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Trying to prevent us from leaving.

el borracho
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
I hate traveling.

You are like the anti-me. I can't imagine not traveling. How could you not want to see the world? All the different cultures? Different foods? Different plants and animals?

alnorth
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Wait until you start hitting "reciprocity fees". That's when you'll really say **** the US. What do they use -that- money for?

I'm pretty sure other countries charge you the fee, not the US. Its why it is called a reciprocity fee. When other people visit the US, we charge them a fee for the US visa. So, many countries, even if they normally give out free visas, have decided to charge americans since we charge their citizens.

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure other countries charge you the fee, not the US. Its why it is called a reciprocity fee. When other people visit the US, we charge them a fee for the US visa. So, many countries, even if they normally give out free visas, have decided to charge americans since we charge their citizens.

Not really. The United States is the worst offender, and most other countries charge us a fee as "reciprocity", a punishment for charging there citizens. I re-read your post, and you are correct. I meant that it's because the US makes them pay the fee, so we have to too. That's why I said it makes you want to say, "screw the US", or whatever. Anyway, I stand corrected :)

Travelling to the EU, I pay nothing. But traveling to Argentina, I have to pay something like $130 as an entre fee. It works for the life your passport, but it didn't used to be like that.

Actually, the EU has started to get pissed off at us for charging stupid fees for their visitors too. And for anyone that travels a lot, you can understand why.

BigRedChief
02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Wait until you start hitting "reciprocity fees". That's when you'll really say **** the US. What do they use -that- money for?
That's when you'll really say **** the US......really.....really???

Lets see how fast your tune changes when you get in trouble in some foreign land or some local with a badge trys to fuk with you. you want be saying #### the US. You'll be saying I want to call the embassy.

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
That's when you'll really say **** the US......really.....really???

Lets see how fast your tune changes when you get in trouble in some foreign land or some local with a badge trys to fuk with you. you want be saying #### the US. You'll be saying I want to call the embassy.

Whatever, man. I travel quite a bit without any trouble. Those things might sound reasonable in some dream, but I don't suspect I'll need any helicopter lift in my travels. I've never -called- the embassy once, let alone needed them for immediate export.

For most of us, reciprocity is just an excuse to fuck us out of money. Especially when you're making a day trip to Brazil and have to go to the embassy and fuck about to get a visa weeks in advance.

BigRedChief
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Whatever, man. I travel quite a bit without any trouble. Those things might sound reasonable in some dream, but I don't suspect I'll need any helicopter lift in my travels. I've never -called- the embassy once, let alone needed them for immediate export.

For most of us, reciprocity is just an excuse to **** us out of money. Especially when you're making a day trip to Brazil and have to go to the embassy and **** about to get a visa weeks in advance.welll then if you are treated so horribly by the USA, maybe moving to Brazil would be a good move for ya.

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 09:41 PM
what sort of freak decides when they'er at college that they'll never leave the country?

That's just weird.

Obviously someone who doesnt care to travel, as previously mentioned.

Bugeater
02-21-2011, 09:43 PM
the book is an extra $80...that's food for a month for us.
What the fuck do you two eat...bird seed?

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
welll then if you are treated so horribly by the USA, maybe moving to Brazil would be a good move for ya.

:eek:

Dude, I don't think you've travelled much. These things are annoyances. I'm just bitching. I think the US State department does a good job, and I always report my travel to them when I enter troublesome countries, and I appreciate the services they provide. I appreciate the services, and especially the guarantees they provide.

I've never been treated poorly by the US border patrol. But, it's certainly frustrating that when I travel to certain countries I have to pay a reciprocity fee when I don't deem them worthy of one.

That's all I'm saying. And even more so, even if they do deserve a visa fee they've decided to charge us too, it's still fucking annoying. And I, along with everyone else, has bitched as they've gone through the airport.

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
What the **** do you two eat...bird seed?

Sprinkle alittle of that on your 1/4 pounder and it'll turn into a 1/2 pounder.

We eat cheap, use coupons whenever we can and eat at the restaurants we work at. I got a 2nd job with a sheriffs office so we probably spend 100 now.

mdstu
02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
It's a damn shame you are going to spend $2400 and spend a week or two on a boat with a bunch of douche bags. You should put that passport to good use. Are you a 20 or 50 y/o college student?

kysirsoze
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM

That's just weird.

Sorry, but this. And I can't believe it took this far into the thread before someone said it.

BigRedChief
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
:eek:Dude, I don't think you've travelled much.ROFL
http://www.forumspile.com/Misc-Missed_it.jpg

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 10:03 PM
ROFL

No need to be an ass. What makes you think those fees are acceptable?

Generally they go to tourism promotion, not security. It's not like that state department is getting money out of this.

BigRedChief
02-21-2011, 10:09 PM
No need to be an ass. What makes you think those fees are acceptable?

Generally they go to tourism promotion, not security. It's not like that state department is getting money out of this.your the one with the attitude? There are pictures of me on this website from all over the world. People have used my passport pic for their avatar.

You have money to travel, you can afford to help offset the cost of providing security and the paperwork to allow you to travel. Theres plenty of other things in life to bitch about. And more important things to be pissed off at the government.

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
your the one with the attitude? There are pictures of me on this website from all over the world. People have used my passport pic for their avatar.

You have money to travel, you can afford to help offset the cost of providing security and the paperwork to allow you to travel. Theres plenty of other things in life to bitch about. And more important things to be pissed off at the government.

Fair enough, I was an ass.

I still say most reciprocity fees are bullshit though, and they certainly don't offset security. In most countries, they offset corruption, and when we charge them, they offset nothing other than discouraging visitors.

Although, maybe I'm just bitter because I pay them too much...