PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Carmelo Anthony is a New York Knickerbocker

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Dunno if I'm happy or not, but whatever.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17443219

The Carmelo Anthony trade saga is finally over.
The Nuggets traded Melo to the New York Knicks tonight, a league source said. Denver gets Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.
Anthony will go to New York, along with Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman.
Anthony was not at the Nuggets' practice as the team resumed workouts following the All-Star break.

Read more: Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17443219#ixzz1EebWxFK4
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

I heard he'll be wearing #7 in New York.

Gonzo
02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
What? I haven't been keeping up. Did he nix the NJ deal?
Posted via Mobile Device

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
We already have a lengthy Melo thread that you and I just posted in. I assume you are a Knick fan that's beating his chest?

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Losing Felton, IMO, is a bad thing for the Knicks.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
LMAO We got Anthony Carter. I fucking hate him still from the 2000 Game 3 when he had the illegal shot from behind the backboard to win the game.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
We already have a lengthy Melo thread that you and I just posted in. I assume you are a Knick fan that's beating his chest?

The title to that thread is Melo to the nets you dumbass. And I've voiced my opinion already, I didn't really want this.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:19 PM
They just gutted the rest of their team. Who's on the 2nd team?

I hate that a guy can dictate a move during the season, but that's the system.

-King-

That thread was about a deal to NJ that was just a rumor. I understand making a new thread for this.

KCUnited
I vote Carmelo, oops wrong thread.

Rams Fan
The title to that thread is Melo to the nets you dumbass. And I've voiced my opinion already, I didn't really want this.

I can see why. Seems like Walsh had to do what Nolan wanted to do. This could come back to bite the Knicks in the ass.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Yeah well NYK thinks Deron Williams or CP3 is already a done deal and they have been doing dumb shit for almost 2 decades, so it's not really a surprise that they do something that's questionable at best considering what they could end up with at PG.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Honestly, you needed to name call? There are maybe 5 people on this board that give a shit about the NBA. Those that do probably could have figured out why the thread was recently updated. Fuck you.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Honestly, you needed to name call? There are maybe 5 people on this board that give a shit about the NBA. Those that do probably could have figured out why the thread was recently updated. **** you.

Well the thread is MELO TO THE NETS and he just got traded to the Knicks so if you can't understand a new thread I think that's sort of dumb, sorry.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
THANK YOU LORD FOR GETTING ANTHONY RANDOLPH OUT OF NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Well the thread is MELO TO THE NETS and he just got traded to the Knicks so if you can't understand a new thread I think that's sort of dumb, sorry.

So say that, I can appreciate your response, and you're probably right.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:23 PM

He's not Chauncey. He's having a very good year, but Chauncey's long-range scoring will be huge with Melo and Amare.

Chauncey is going to post some numbers in that system.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Minnesota was part of this trade but I can't find the details.

The trade, which includes Randolph and Curry going to Minnesota, means Knicks open up two roster spots. Will need to get a big.

The Bad Guy

He's not gone yet.

Also, Anthony Randolph's game might be more fictional than the tooth fairy. 2 different wide-open systems and ends up in the dog house in both of them.

If he goes to Minnesota, you honestly expect Kurt Rambis to play him? The same Kurt Rambis that dicked Kevin Love minutes last year.

Laughable.

Bambi
Playoffs are going to be insane.

Big nights are back at the Garden!

KevB
He's not Chauncey. He's having a very good year, but Chauncey's long-range scoring will be huge with Melo and Amare.

How many years left on Chauncey's deal? This year and next I believe? I'm assuming the Knicks are going into Miami Heat mode and plan to get Paul or Deron Williams.

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Not doubting that. But certain players have a "thing". Amare and Felton had a
"thing" together. I doubt Amare will have that same type of chemistry with Chauncey, or he won't have it until later in the season. And Chauncey's a FA after this season.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Ehhh, the 8 year age difference + how well Felton has played w/ Amare thus far is definitely enough to say "he's chauncey" in terms of value over the next X amt of years this team's gonna possibly be a top team in the East.

The thing is I just still can't see them being higher than a 4 seed or maybe a 3 seed in in a good year, and if they get Williams/Paul at PG also change those numbers to 3 and 2.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Seeing what Denver got for a player who was 100% leaving them and pretty much had his mind made up on NYK from the beginning (so it seems), they made out like bandits.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Will be interesting to see if the rumor of Felton and Mozgov to the Nets is next. I think a number of things will happen now that this has gone down.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
How many years left on Chauncey's deal? This year and next I believe? I'm assuming the Knicks are going into Miami Heat mode and plan to get Paul or Deron Williams.

He has a team option next year, which the Knicks will pick up to keep max flexibility open for Deron or CP3.

Rams Fan
Seeing what Denver got for a player who was 100% leaving them and pretty much had his mind made up on NYK from the beginning (so it seems), they made out like bandits.

I think it's good for them. They didn't want to end up like the Cavs and get shit in return.

RealSNR
I want to like Carmelo, but all he ever does is play for the teams I hate the most.

I totally expect him to close out his career years from now in San Antonio just to complete the axis of evil tour of the NBA

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:28 PM

I think it's a good deal as well. Although Chandler is free at the end of the season, correct? We also need to wait and see what the Nugs do with these guys before a full evaluation.

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
If Chauncey or Amare gets hurt, the Knicks are ****ed.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Ehhh, the 8 year age difference + how well Felton has played w/ Amare thus far is definitely enough to say "he's chauncey" in terms of value over the next X amt of years this team's gonna possibly be a top team in the East.

The thing is I just still can't see them being higher than a 4 seed or maybe a 3 seed in in a good year, and if they get Williams/Paul at PG also change those numbers to 3 and 2.

Billups is such an underrated player. Never played with any sort of post presence like Amare and I expect him to completely exceed Felton's production in D'Antoni's system.

Billups is a year and a half player and then he's gone. They want that PG spot open and Billups contract is perfect for that as it's off the books in 2012.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
My brother decided to buy Knicks season tickets in anticipation of LeBron coming there. He's done pretty well re-selling so far, but now he'll make a killing on them.

The Nuggets GM is a genius. Played a shit hand into 3 starters and a backup 7 footer plus draft picks. Complete haul.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Billups is such an underrated player. Never played with any sort of post presence like Amare and I expect him to completely exceed Felton's production in D'Antoni's system.

Billups is a year and a half player and then he's gone. They want that PG spot open and Billups contract is perfect for that as it's off the books in 2012.

One guy I think would fit in GREAT in D'Antoni's system that I've heard is being shopped around is Stephen Curry.

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Part of the reason, besides Melo not wanting to sign an extension with Denver, that he was traded could have been that the Nuggets owner(Kroenke) wanted to go into some sort of fire sale. 2 teams that he owns(Nuggets,Avs) have made 3 big trades within the past 4 days.

And fans are getting really pissed, or that's what the Denver Post sounded like.

mcaj22
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Denver's got to flip some of those players so if they can actually flip Felton/Mozgov and move guys like JR Smith to some gullible team they will be in good shape. They will probably try and shop spare parts Al Harrington/K-Mart also.

They dont need any of those guys

What will Denvers new lineup/overhaul look like

PG- Ty Lawson
SG- Affalo
SF- Chandler
PF- Gallo
C- Nene
6th- Corey Brewer

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I LOVE LANDRY FIELDS

dirk digler
02-21-2011, 09:33 PM
The Nuggets GM is a genius. Played a shit hand into 3 starters and a backup 7 footer plus draft picks. Complete haul.

Agreed. But the Knicks now have their big 3

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Denver's got to flip some of those players so if they can actually flip Felton/Mozgov and move guys like JR Smith to some gullible team they will be in good shape. They will probably try and shop spare parts Al Harrington/K-Mart also.

They dont need any of those guys

What will Denvers new lineup/overhaul look like

PG- Ty Lawson
SG- Affalo
SF- Chandler
PF- Gallo
C- Nene
6th- Corey Brewer

Gallo is no way a 4. He'd get his ass killed in the West at 4.

Rumor is too that Denver is going to trade Nene to Dallas for Roddy B and Haywood. Why Denver would take on Haywood's deal is beyond me. They are also likely to trade J.R. Smith to New Orleans.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Agreed. But the Knicks now have their big 3

Billups doesn't quite count as a big 3 IMO, not at this point. They get Paul or Williams though, and they're good to go.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Rumor is too that Denver is going to trade Nene to Dallas for Roddy B and Haywood. Why Denver would take on Haywood's deal is beyond me. They are also likely to trade J.R. Smith to New Orleans.

Nice scoops, I hadn't heard either of those and I'm a Twitter junkie.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
One guy I think would fit in GREAT in D'Antoni's system that I've heard is being shopped around is Stephen Curry.

Yes, he would. Problem is Golden State wants a stud big man in return for him and the Knicks can't even throw their hat into the ring for that.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Nice scoops, I hadn't heard either of those and I'm a Twitter junkie.

The Nene thing would really surprise me. There's a ton of shit out there about Devin Harris going to Dallas though in another WTF moment.

dirk digler
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Billups doesn't quite count as a big 3 IMO, not at this point. They get Paul or Williams though, and they're good to go.

Billups is still a damn good PG though.

After this deal and whatever happens with the CBA I doubt they will be able to get Paul or Williams. There is talk they are going to lower the Salary Cap by quite a bit.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:46 PM
The Nene thing would really surprise me. There's a ton of shit out there about Devin Harris going to Dallas though in another WTF moment.

I've heard that one, and yes, WTF. Kidd, Terry, Roddy B, JJ Barea....I think they're covered.

okcchief
Glad they traded these guys at of the Northwest division:)

Chauncey has already said he'll go back to Denver next year if he's part of the trade. They'll try to bring in CP3 or Williams like everyone has said. I like them all better in the East than the West.

DeezNutz
In a star-driven league, the Knicks just made a great deal.

WebGem
I feel pretty bad for Chauncey Billups tbh

okcchief
02-21-2011, 09:47 PM

I would really like to see the Thunder go after Nene.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Billups is still a damn good PG though.

After this deal and whatever happens with the CBA I doubt they will be able to get Paul or Williams. There is talk they are going to lower the Salary Cap by quite a bit.

He is. Who knows, maybe he pulls a Ray Allen and has a couple of vintage seasons to finish it out.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM

why do you care, did you grow up in NY? Or just a fan?

KevB

Can't really argue, but I wonder how Melo and Amare play together.

dirk digler
I am just reading the Celtics are trying to get Shane Battier. Now that would be awesome.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I feel pretty bad for Chauncey Billups tbh

I don't.

He's going to play in New York another year and a half and probably ensure he gets another decent deal from the #'s he'll put up in New York.

The Bad Guy
I am just reading the Celtics are trying to get Shane Battier. Now that would be awesome.

Rumor was shot down. Celtics literally have nothing to trade.

Reerun_KC
havent liked Anthony since 2003...

WebGem
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
why do you care, did you grow up in NY? Or just a fan?

I grew up in Phoenix, I've been a huge Knicks fan since like 1993.

I hate every single AZ sports team except the Highland Hawks.

DeezNutz
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Given what we've seen in Miami, I wouldn't be too worried if I were a NY fan.

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 09:52 PM

Please explain how you're a Kings and Penn St. fan.

dirk digler
02-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Rumor was shot down. Celtics literally have nothing to trade.

well fuck

notorious
02-21-2011, 09:53 PM
havent liked Anthony since 2003...

No kidding.

On a side note, is McNamara still playing at Syracuse? I could swear he was there 7 years.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 09:54 PM

not good enough to beat L James&Wade/Bosh consistently

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM

that's cool.

milkman
02-21-2011, 09:56 PM

They'll win a lot of games, but when the playoffs roll around, they will get nowhere.

Defense wins championships and I don't think Melo has ever even heard the word.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
I like Carmelo - he's really seemed to have grown up - maybe I don't see him enough. But he seems like he's matured from what I can tell.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
They'll win a lot of games, but when the playoffs roll around, they will get nowhere.

He's not a lock down guy, but his defense isn't that horrid.

okcchief
02-21-2011, 09:58 PM
This Knicks team as it is today will be fucking horrible defensively. They will have to put some quality role players around these guys to make it work. The Miami guys can play a little D.

KevB
02-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Given what we've seen in Miami, I wouldn't be too worried if I were a NY fan.

James and Wade are better than either of the Knicks guys, and they're more versatile. We'll see.

milkman
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM

It's pretty close.

WebGem
Please explain how you're a Kings and Penn St. fan.

The Kings are the only team that I think has anything to do w/ being a 'home' team. I lived in CA in the summers after I moved to AZ from CA and I watched them w/ my older cousin during the 1993 playoffs. I've like the Knicks since at least 1993 because I know I was a Knicks fan during the Bulls/Suns series in 1993. Chiefs since 1994-1995ish. I like the Kings/Chiefs both because of my older cousin. Knicks dunno the reason. Blue Jays since 1999, PSU since 2000.

The Blue Jays story is the only one that's absolutely retarded, but I got what I deserve with a team that has a 0% chance at the playoffs every year.

Being a Nebraska Alum and absolutely fucking HATING the Huskers with every ounce of energy I have in my body is easily my favorite thing about myself.

Rams Fan
I honestly don't think the Knicks improved greatly.

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
The Kings are the only team that I think has anything to do w/ being a 'home' team. I lived in CA in the summers after I moved to AZ from CA and I watched them w/ my older cousin during the 1993 playoffs. I've like the Knicks since at least 1993 because I know I was a Knicks fan during the Bulls/Suns series in 1993. Chiefs since 1994-1995ish. I like the Kings/Chiefs both because of my older cousin. Knicks dunno the reason. Blue Jays since 1999, PSU since 2000.

The Blue Jays story is the only one that's absolutely retarded, but I got what I deserve with a team that has a 0% chance at the playoffs every year.

Being a Nebraska Alum and absolutely ****ing HATING the Huskers with every ounce of energy I have in my body is easily my favorite thing about myself.

I already knew the Blue Jays story and thought the Kings had to do with something about 1993. You're a Coyotes fan now, aren't ya?

dirk digler
02-21-2011, 10:00 PM

Agree with that. I still don't see the Knicks beating either the Heat or the Celtics.

DeezNutz
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
James and Wade are better than either of the Knicks guys, and they're more versatile. We'll see.

Bigger ego guys, and having a third in the mix makes it exponentially more difficult.

While I understand milk's point above, it's a lot easier to find the remaining pieces with two cornerstones in place. And in my view, Melo is one of the more underrated stars in the league, probably b/c of lack of exposure.

okcchief
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM

He's pretty bad for the most part. I just think he doesn't care about it most of the time.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I already knew the Blue Jays story and thought the Kings had to do with something about 1993. You're a Coyotes fan now, aren't ya?

No, I'll kill you for saying that though.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
are the lakers still falling apart - or have they figured it out? last I heard they were struggling pretty severely.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 10:03 PM

They need a bigtime defensive assistant like Thibodeau (not that that's remotely close to easy to find). Look what he did w/ Boston and now the Bulls have the #1 D in the league. It might not work if it happened but it definitely couldn't hurt.

okcchief
02-21-2011, 10:04 PM
When the Bulls get Noah back they have a better shot of dethroning the Celts than the Heat or Knicks IMO.

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 10:04 PM
No, I'll kill you for saying that though.

You know who the Kings traded Gretzky to? The St. Louis ******* Blues.

okcchief
02-21-2011, 10:06 PM
are the lakers still falling apart - or have they figured it out? last I heard they were struggling pretty severely.

They stumbled in to the break but they only care about the playoffs. They will be a tough out in the spring.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 10:09 PM
They stumbled in to the break but they only care about the playoffs. They will be a tough out in the spring.

yep - bynum (SP?) is back, right? He's pretty dope.

jd1020
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm a little confused with the Warriors place in this trade.

milkman
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
yep - bynum (SP?) is back, right? He's pretty dope.

What are the odds that Bynum gets through the rest of the season and the playoffs without an injury?

The guy is made of glass.

KevB
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm a little confused with the Warriors place in this trade.

The Warriors 2nd rounder was from a previous trade I believe. They aren't part of this deal.

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
The Warriors 2nd rounder was from a previous trade I believe. They aren't part of this deal.

I'm guessing the pick is from the Lee deal.

KevB
02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Nuggs GM says they're keeping Gallo and Mozgov, not trading them to Nets.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 10:19 PM
What are the odds that Bynum gets through the rest of the season and the playoffs without an injury?

The guy is made of glass.

oh really? - yeah honestly I need to watch more. Everytime i've seen him though, seems like he's dunking on someone - where'd he play college ball? I don't remember him? ---- High School product?

Milkman - do you like Wade's abilities? He's one of my favs to watch, when he's 'on'

Rams Fan
02-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Nuggs GM says they're keeping Gallo and Mozgov, not trading them to Nets.

Felton to the Nets?

KevB
02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Felton to the Nets?

We'll see, but they need to deal Harris first.

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Felton is a huge hustle man, he'd dive head first into an aluminum bench w/o thinking twice. Good guy to have on YOUR team.

Delano
02-21-2011, 10:29 PM
What is Minnesota getting in Randolph? I'm struggling to see their angle other than getting some cap space after Curry's deal clears.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delano
02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Mecca's boy Corey Brewer is headed to the Knicks, not the Nuggets.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Knicks also got Corey Brewer in the deal. Brewer is a good defender and could be a good 6th/7th man for the Knicks.

Brewer, Melo and Billups is a nice haul for the Knicks as well.

Delano
02-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Knicks also got Corey Brewer in the deal. Brewer is a good defender and could be a good 6th/7th man for the Knicks.

Brewer, Melo and Billups is a nice haul for the Knicks as well.

Brewer plays hard and really takes pride in his game, especially his defense. I could never tell if his lapses were the result of low bball IQ or bad coaching.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler
02-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I think with all these big names being traded or becoming available I bet there will be some kind of franchise type tag coming to the NBA after this season.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Brewer plays hard and really takes pride in his game, especially his defense. I could never tell if his lapses were the result of low bball IQ or bad coaching.
Posted via Mobile Device

In Minnesota? It has to be the coaching.

Kurt Rambis is a miserable bag of shit.

Delano
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Kurt Rambis is a miserable bag of shit.

Link?
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
He has a team option next year, which the Knicks will pick up to keep max flexibility open for Deron or CP3.

His option won't play into in the least.

New Orleans is losing money hand over fist. Even if they do a sign and trade, they aren't going to want Billups' contract, even for a year. They'd sooner just let Paul walk then take Billups' bloated deal back.

WebGem
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
His new jersey # will be 13 I hear.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 11:21 PM
No one is going to take on Harrington's contract. That's an awful deal.

The Nuggets can run out Gallinari and Chandler as forwards if they want to play small ball for spurts. They won't do it for 40 minutes a game, but it is a viable change of pace lineup.

Felton is just a good contract relative to his production.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 11:23 PM
What is Minnesota getting in Randolph? I'm struggling to see their angle other than getting some cap space after Curry's deal clears.
Posted via Mobile Device

Randolph is a talented head case, but he'll probably never amount to anything.

Why you'd facilitate this deal makes little to no sense to me, IMO.

DenverChief
02-21-2011, 11:25 PM
F*ck Carmelo - I hope that every year NY misses the playoffs and he becomes a nobody - what a pussy whipped bitch

RealSNR
02-21-2011, 11:26 PM
In Minnesota? It has to be the coaching.

Kurt Rambis is a miserable bag of shit.I'm not sure there's a coach who could do that much better with Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, and a bag of used condoms like Rambis has in Minnesota

WebGem
02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
F*ck Carmelo - I hope that every year NY misses the playoffs and he becomes a nobody - what a pussy whipped bitch

umad tho?

and btw the recent stuff i heard was that the wife wanted to stay in denver. but really umad?

Bambi
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
The Timberwolves get Curry and Randolpf. lol

sounds like something that would happen to the Royals

WebGem
02-21-2011, 11:32 PM
I have a feeling the Knicks are gonna trade Melo to the Nets tomorrow for Favors Lopez and Devin Harris

DenverChief
02-21-2011, 11:32 PM
umad tho?

and btw the recent stuff i heard was that the wife wanted to stay in denver. but really umad?

His wife wanted to go to NY, thats why he wouldn't sign Denvers extension offer....Denver had a better chance of winning it all than the Knicks do even with Stoudamire

DenverChief
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
I have a feeling the Knicks are gonna trade Melo to the Nets tomorrow for Favors Lopez and Devin Harris

:LOL:!!!!

WebGem
02-21-2011, 11:34 PM
His wife wanted to go to NY, thats why he wouldn't sign Denvers extension offer....Denver had a better chance of winning it all than the Knicks do even with Stoudamire

I know that was the initial rumor, but recently I've heard more than once she wanted to stay in Denver...I'm not just making that up.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 11:41 PM

Good God, that would be retarded.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
This looks like a 52 win team and a 2nd round playoff loser to me. I don't see them getting another elite player with the new CBA down the pike.

Carmelo is a really, really good player. Definitely top 7-8 in the league, but his scoring ability is a little overrated. People talk about him as the "best pure scorer" in the league. They only say that because he doesn't really do anything else.

KevB
02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
This looks like a 52 win team and a 2nd round playoff loser to me. I don't see them getting another elite player with the new CBA down the pike.

Carmelo is a really, really good player. Definitely top 7-8 in the league, but his scoring ability is a little overrated. People talk about him as the "best pure scorer" in the league. They only say that because he doesn't really do anything else.

Who would NY beat in the first round? They're not beating any of the top 4 in the East to get to the 2nd round.

I think there are 9 players (Howard, Bron, Durant, Wade, Paul, Rose, Deron, Dirk, Kobe) I'd take over Melo, but he's very good and a top 10 player. I'd expect him to really bring it now in NY, so he could move up that list a bit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Who would NY beat in the first round? They're not beating any of the top 4 in the East to get to the 2nd round.

I think there are 9 players (Howard, Bron, Durant, Wade, Paul, Rose, Deron, Dirk, Kobe) I'd take over Melo, but he's very good and a top 10 player. I'd expect him to really bring it now in NY, so he could move up that list a bit.

I was talking more about down the road, once that team can fill out their cap space after jettisoning Billups.

Right now, that team is probably 5th-6th in the conference.

I'd put Carmelo in the same tier as Dirk and Howard. They all do something tremendously well, but they all have demonstrable flaws in their games.

I think if you are ranking players right now it's

1: LeBron (look at Cleveland this year, FFS. This debate is over)
2: Kobe
3: Durant
4: Rose
5: Wade
6: Carmelo
7: Howard
8: Dirk

Howard's FT shooting is just too damned bad, and he still can't score from more than 3 feet away.

Simply Red
02-22-2011, 12:33 AM

but you're a nugget fan, right? that makes sense that you'd dislike him. Your guard is dope, btw.

KevB
02-22-2011, 12:39 AM
I was talking more about down the road, once that team can fill out their cap space after jettisoning Billups.

I'd put Carmelo in the same tier as Dirk and Howard. They all do something tremendously well, but they all have demonstrable flaws in their games.

Howard's FT shooting is just too damned bad, and he still can't score from more than 3 feet away.

Well, we'll see what they are able to do to fill things out, but I understand. The Celts age will cause a rebuild soon, and if Howard doesn't stay in Orlando then down they go.

Mine wasn't a ranking; I like your ranking, except I'd bump Melo below Howard and Dirk. Oh, and Paul is definitely ahead of those three. He'd be 6 for me. Deron may be in there also. Howard just impacts the game so much on the defensive end and on the glass, that I'll forgive him the FT shooting. Much like Shaq back in the day (not the defense, but the impact to the game). Dirk and Melo are actually pretty similar, I just feel Dirk is a bit more consistent. If we're talking beyond this year, I'd take Melo. Dirk is looking older than ever this season, and for the first time he's missing games.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:52 AM
I didn't rank Paul b/c his scoring is down and his knee is basically bone on bone. I can understand rating Howard above both Carmelo and Dirk, or any permutation that lists them in order.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 01:51 AM
What? I haven't been keeping up. Did he nix the NJ deal?
Posted via Mobile Device

Smoke and mirrors. Melo just wanted the 64M and the Nuggets used that leverage more out of the Knicks. Knicks aren't going anywhere but ticket sales should go up.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 01:53 AM

You did not just tee it up like that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Smoke and mirrors. Melo just wanted the 64M and the Nuggets used that leverage more out of the Knicks. Knicks aren't going anywhere but ticket sales should go up.

The Knicks already sell out every game. This isn't baseball.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 01:58 AM

1. Kobe
2: Durant
3: Rose
4: Wade
5: Howard
6: LeSoft
7:Melo

Buck
02-22-2011, 01:59 AM
1. DYLAN
2: DYLAN
3: DYLAN
4: DYLAN
5: DYLAN

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 02:01 AM
The Knicks already sell out every game. This isn't baseball.

I didn't know that. Knicks still aren't going anywhere.

DenverChief
02-22-2011, 02:05 AM
I know that was the initial rumor, but recently I've heard more than once she wanted to stay in Denver...I'm not just making that up.

All over the Denver Sports radio is how she wants to take her VH1 career to the next level and it has to happen in the big apple....She tweets on Carmela's twitter about this too

DenverChief
02-22-2011, 02:08 AM
but you're a nugget fan, right? that makes sense that you'd dislike him. Your guard is dope, btw.

Yes I am ... It's kind of like if DT decided to bolt to the Cowboys after the 94 Championship game...

Which guard are you referring?

The Bad Guy
02-22-2011, 06:02 AM
His option won't play into in the least.

New Orleans is losing money hand over fist. Even if they do a sign and trade, they aren't going to want Billups' contract, even for a year. They'd sooner just let Paul walk then take Billups' bloated deal back.

I'm not saying to trade it for Paul. I'm saying to keep money off the books for 2012 granted this also means that the CBA doesn't lower team caps by that much.

His option plays into the Knicks hands well next year to keep him around.

Billups is going to post some some outstanding assist numbers in D'Antoni's offense.

The Bad Guy
02-22-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm not sure there's a coach who could do that much better with Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, and a bag of used condoms like Rambis has in Minnesota

The roster is awful no doubt, but the guy is part of the problem as well.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 06:37 AM
1. Kobe

ROFL

:rolleyes:

dirk digler
02-22-2011, 07:32 AM
1. Kobe

Yeah I don't think so. Lebron has to be either 1a or 1b. I think Hamas was right with his list.

milkman
02-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Yeah I don't think so. Lebron has to be either 1a or 1b. I think Hamas was right with his list.

I think LeBron shows you that, while hoops is a team sport, one guy can make a huge difference.

However, until he leads the Heat to a championship, he still falls below Kobe on the list.

dirk digler
02-22-2011, 08:04 AM
I think LeBron shows you that, while hoops is a team sport, one guy can make a huge difference.

However, until he leads the Heat to a championship, he still falls below Kobe on the list.

I have no problem with Lebron being 1b but to rank him the 6th best player in the NBA is stupid

Dylan
02-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Knicks still aren't going anywhere.

Maybe not this year...

Thanks for playing, Dyl :evil:

Dylan
02-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Riight!

Ah, stick to the Rams!

GB & TIA :D

Lzen
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM

You're right. But you gotta cut the guy some slack. He hasn't had much to work with until this year. I think he will win some championships. LaBron has never had players like Shaq, Robert Horry, etc. to work with (until now).

milkman
02-22-2011, 09:06 AM
You're right. But you gotta cut the guy some slack. He hasn't had much to work with until this year. I think he will win some championships. LaBron has never had players like Shaq, Robert Horry, etc. to work with (until now).

The problem with LeBron, to me, is that his game has evolved only marginally since he came into the league.

With some of the great players of the past, they came into the league with a hole/holes in their game, but they put in the work to improve in that/those areas.

LeBron has the pure natural ability to be the best this game has ever seen, but lack of evolution in his game strongly suggests he doesn't have the work ethic to reach that level.

dirk digler
02-22-2011, 09:53 AM
The problem with LeBron, to me, is that his game has evolved only marginally since he came into the league.

With some of the great players of the past, they came into the league with a hole/holes in their game, but they put in the work to improve in that/those areas.

LeBron has the pure natural ability to be the best this game has ever seen, but lack of evolution in his game strongly suggests he doesn't have the work ethic to reach that level.

What part of his game does he need to work at? I really don't see any major weaknesses.

milkman
02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
What part of his game does he need to work at? I really don't see any major weaknesses.

Jumper outside of 15-17 feet.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 10:24 AM
ROFL

:rolleyes:

LeScumbag isn't even the MVP of his own team. I hope that guy never gets a ring.

dirk digler
02-22-2011, 10:29 AM

I suppose. Looking at his percentages he is an average shooter pretty much all over the floor.

The Bad Guy
02-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I suppose. Looking at his percentages he is an average shooter pretty much all over the floor.

His 3 point game has improved, but he doesn't have a post game at all. He's never worked at that aspect. As a 6'8 SF, he absolutely should have some sort of post game.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
LeScumbag isn't even the MVP of his own team. I hope that guy never gets a ring.

You are delusional. Way to let your personal bias completely cloud your judgment.

LeBron is putting up league MVP numbers.

He's third in the league in scoring (26.1), 13th in assists (7.3), and tops the NBA in plus-minus (plus 8.3 per game) and the combination of points, assists and rebounds (40.8).

dirk digler
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
His 3 point game has improved, but he doesn't have a post game at all. He's never worked at that aspect. As a 6'8 SF, he absolutely should have some sort of post game.

I am sure that will come as he gets older and slows down.

KevB
02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Dak and Bad Guy with two good posts. I'm really surprised LeBron hasn't developed a post game, as he would abuse almost anyone that tried to guard him. And if the double came, he'd easily be able to pass out of it. But, he prefers handling out on the perimeter and building up a head of steam going down the lane.

And I don't like him, but the guy has been MVP caliber this season, period. I lean toward Rose, but I'm also a fan of his so I'm biased.

Dylan
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I LOVE LANDRY FIELDS

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/img/2009_09_30/baby.jpg

sorry, I couldn't resist... ok I'm done...

-King-
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
This will be interesting though. The Knicks bench is terrible right now, and adding Carmelo makes their defense even worse than it was. They'll go to averaging 115 per game and allowing 112 per game ROFL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not saying to trade it for Paul. I'm saying to keep money off the books for 2012 granted this also means that the CBA doesn't lower team caps by that much.

His option plays into the Knicks hands well next year to keep him around.

Billups is going to post some some outstanding assist numbers in D'Antoni's offense.

The only way they could get a guy like Paul now is to trade for him and extend him using his Bird rights to go over the cap. Unless they trade Billups or Stoudemire for him, they aren't going to be able to get him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:31 PM

He doesn't need to work on his outside shot, he needs to work on his post game. If he developed a set of post moves, he could score 35 a night.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 12:34 PM
LeBron is putting up league MVP numbers.

Cool, he can put it in the trophy case with all of his other consolation prizes.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Look, it's understandable to harp on LeBron for the way he handled his free agency, and yes, more than any other sport, basketball is a game where one guy can make a difference. But it's not so skewed that one guy can win with the worst 2-12 in the NBA, and LeBron took that worst 2-12 to home court advantage and multiple trips deep in the playoffs.

Quesadilla Joe
02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Just interviewed the Nuggets (what's left of them) and George Karl. Karl very upbeat. He not only believes they'll make the playoffs, Karl thinks "we'll be a threat in the playoffs".

I asked George how he's gonna replace 28 pts a night, he sorta snickered: "you think I like the way we played with Melo?" Karl: "we haven't been a play-hard team. I want to be faster with the basketball. Carmelo was never fast with the ball"

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi

The Bad Guy
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Just interviewed the Nuggets (what's left of them) and George Karl. Karl very upbeat. He not only believes they'll make the playoffs, Karl thinks "we'll be a threat in the playoffs".

I asked George how he's gonna replace 28 pts a night, he sorta snickered: "you think I like the way we played with Melo?" Karl: "we haven't been a play-hard team. I want to be faster with the basketball. Carmelo was never fast with the ball"

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi

This is a pretty valid point about Melo's slow it down style.

The Knicks are a wide-open gunner type offense. While Melo is definitely a chucker, he milks the shot clock and isn't real fast with the ball, which would be a contrasting style to the way D'Antoni offenses have executed.

I think he'll do well there though.

The Bad Guy
02-22-2011, 12:43 PM
The only way they could get a guy like Paul now is to trade for him and extend him using his Bird rights to go over the cap. Unless they trade Billups or Stoudemire for him, they aren't going to be able to get him.

I think they'll absolutely have to do a sign and trade for him in 2012. What assets they have at that point will determine whether he's worth it.

For my money, I'm going after Deron long before Chris Paul.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Cool, he can put it in the trophy case with all of his other consolation prizes.

Translation: I'm a moron who erroneously ranked LeBron the 6th best player in the league and was dead wrong about him not being the MVP of the Heat this season. Thus, I'll just take a pot shot at him not winning a Championship yet and hide behind that.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Translation: I'm a moron who erroneously ranked LeBron the 6th best player in the league and was dead wrong about him not being the MVP of the Heat this season. Thus, I'll just take a pot shot at him not winning a Championship yet and hide behind that.

We have already covered this, there is no point in doing it uhhhhgain.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I think they'll absolutely have to do a sign and trade for him in 2012. What assets they have at that point will determine whether he's worth it.

For my money, I'm going after Deron long before Chris Paul.

I agree with you, simply because of the knee issue.

The other problem is what assets will they have? Landry Fields and....

milkman
02-22-2011, 12:50 PM
He doesn't need to work on his outside shot, he needs to work on his post game. If he developed a set of post moves, he could score 35 a night.

I agree that he needs to work on a post game, but his shot from 17 to 22 feet is really inconsistent.

Pitt Gorilla
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM

https://twitter.com/VicLombardiI love the trade for the Nuggets. They took a horrible situation and turned it into good talent (thanks to the Nets). A young, fast, Karl-coached team will be a lot of fun to watch and could threaten a lot of teams. It's certainly much better than keeping Melo and losing him for nothing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree that he needs to work on a post game, but his shot from 17 to 22 feet is really inconsistent.

It is, but working on his post game will have more of a demonstrable, long term impact, and it's less likely to vary and leave him from night to night.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I love the trade for the Nuggets. They took a horrible situation and turned it into good talent (thanks to the Nets). A young, fast, Karl-coached team will be a lot of fun to watch and could threaten a lot of teams. It's certainly much better than keeping Melo and losing him for nothing.

Yeah, Kroenke did pretty well here. They also shaved off a TON of payroll.

When Martin and JR Smith come off this year it's another 23 million of payroll.

CHENZ A!
02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
1. DYLAN

LMAO hot fiyah
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
It is, but working on his post game will have more of a demonstrable, long term impact, and it's less likely to vary and leave him from night to night.

That's true, but the reason I bring up the outside shooting is because that is the part of the game that would take the least work to improve, which demonstrates, at least to me, his lack of commitment.

It simply demands taking the extra time to work on.

The Bad Guy
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with you, simply because of the knee issue.

The other problem is what assets will they have? Landry Fields and....

That's the thing...

2 years ago, Gallinari and Felton weren't even blips on the radar for the Knicks. Now they get packaged with a 7 foot stiff Russian center and Wilson Chandler to bring in Melo and Billups.

Things change in one off-season for teams.

dirk digler
02-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Dak and Bad Guy with two good posts. I'm really surprised LeBron hasn't developed a post game, as he would abuse almost anyone that tried to guard him. And if the double came, he'd easily be able to pass out of it. But, he prefers handling out on the perimeter and building up a head of steam going down the lane.

And I don't like him, but the guy has been MVP caliber this season, period. I lean toward Rose, but I'm also a fan of his so I'm biased.

Like I said earlier his post game will come around. Jordan didn't get his post game going until he couldn't blow by people like he used to.

And at the end of his career, Michael transformed himself into one of the best post-up players in the NBA. He was nearly unstoppable because he perfected his bump and fadeaway jump shot.

ChiefsCountry
02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
LeBron's outside shot will improve when he gets older as well.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Anybody catch them trying to ask Melo about the trade during the all-star game? LeBron just could not bring himself to STFU. Nobody was talking to him and they even cut him out of the picture but he kept going on and on. I guess he can't stand seeing anyone else get the attention.

SAUTO
02-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Didn't kobe do the same thing?

Yeah he did.

I wonder why that escaped you. LMAOAnybody catch them trying to ask Melo about the trade during the all-star game? LeBron just could not bring himself to STFU. Nobody was talking to him and they even cut him out of the picture but he kept going on and on. I guess he can't stand seeing anyone else get the attention.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
02-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Also lol at denver chief , iirc,.

I'm sure the only reason that melo wanted to go to ny was because of his wife.

Not like he played at syracuse or anything.....
Posted via Mobile Device

DenverChief
02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Also lol at denver chief , iirc,.

I'm sure the only reason that melo wanted to go to ny was because of his wife.

Not like he played at syracuse or anything.....
Posted via Mobile Device

If mama lala isnt happy no one is happy.
Using your logic he would have rather have gone to brooklyn where he grew up.

jd1020
02-22-2011, 11:35 PM

Who plays in Brooklyn?

Pitt Gorilla
02-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Good article on the trade:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/02/22/nuggets.carmelo.trade/

DenverChief
02-23-2011, 01:03 AM
The nets starting next year

Who plays in Brooklyn?

SAUTO
02-23-2011, 07:38 AM

are you kidding me? isnt brooklyn in new york or did they move it?

Dylan
02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
1. DYLAN

LMAO hot fiyah
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/smilies/big-grin.gif

Bambi
02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Debut tonight!

DenverChief
02-25-2011, 05:06 AM
are you kidding me? isnt brooklyn in new york or did they move it?

WTF?

Yes Brooklyn is a borough of NYC (along with Manhattan, Staten Island, the Bronx and Queens) the Nets will play there next year, it is also where Carmelo grew up.

penchief
02-25-2011, 05:46 AM
WTF?

Yes Brooklyn is a borough of NYC (along with Manhattan, Staten Island, the Bronx and Queens) the Nets will play there next year, it is also where Carmelo grew up.

Anyone who is Carmelo's age and was born in Brooklyn most likely would have had a connection to the Knicks instead of the New Jersey Nets.

DenverChief
02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Anyone who is Carmelo's age and was born in Brooklyn most likely would have had a connection to the Knicks instead of the New Jersey Nets.

The point being he could ball in his hood again.

BIG_DADDY
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Butt Nuggets looked good last night.

Pitt Gorilla
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Butt Nuggets looked good last night.And they should get better. I've always liked the Nuggets a bit, but I can like them a lot more without Melo.

WebGem
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Uh huh you know what it is #StatNMelo

alanm
02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Butt Nuggets looked good last night.I think their playing better ball without him. They certainly aren't missing his defense. ROFL