PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL officials, union pleased after day of talks

milkman
02-22-2011, 08:12 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2014295389_nfl22.html

WASHINGTON — Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch emerged with a smile and a positive outlook Monday after attending a fourth consecutive day of federally mediated negotiations between the NFL and the players' union.
"Things are going well right now," said Batch, a member of the NFL Players Association executive committee. "We'll see how things progress over the next couple days."
He didn't discuss any details.
NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith left at 6 p.m., about seven hours after Monday's session began. NFL executives departed minutes after Smith. None would comment on the negotiations; Smith deflected questions by joking about the wintry weather, including snow forecast for Monday night.
After months of infrequent — and sometimes contentious — bargaining, the league and union have been communicating face-to-face for a total of more than 25 hours since Friday. The sessions are taking place at the office of George Cohen, director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, a U.S. government agency.
Next week, just one day before the collective-bargaining agreement expires March 3 and a lockout would probably begin, NFL owners are scheduled to meet outside Washington, a spot that was picked to be close to the mediator in case the sides were still working with him.
The union has said it believes team owners want to lock out the players as soon as the next day, which could threaten the 2011 season.

notorious
02-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Here they are to save the day at the last second.

This was a ploy to remind us how great football is and how much we "need" it.

milkman
02-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Here they are to save the day at the last second.

This was a ploy to remind us how great football is and how much we "need" it.

I don't understand the negotiating process, so it's a mystery to me why it always has to come down to the 11th hour in any labor negotiation.

You know an agreement is going to come to an end at a certain time, so why wait until the time is quickly approaching to sit down and talk?

unothadeal
02-22-2011, 08:23 AM
This really makes me realize how great football is and how much we need it.

Lzen
02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't understand the negotiating process, so it's a mystery to me why it always has to come down to the 11th hour in any labor negotiation.

You know an agreement is going to come to an end at a certain time, so why wait until the time is quickly approaching to sit down and talk?

Its called playing chicken.

rad
02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Interesting that NFL executives wouldn't comment. Must have been a negative meeting for their side.

Captain Obvious
02-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Interesting that NFL executives wouldn't comment. Must have been a negative meeting for their side.

Part of the rules set up by the mediator. Nobody should talk to the press about the meetings.

-King-
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Wow, before this I never realized how great football was or how much I need it. Now I do!
Posted via Mobile Device

WebGem
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Wow, before this I never realized how great football was or how much I need it. Now I do!
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO