PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Deron Williams traded to Nets

The Bad Guy
02-23-2011, 10:16 AM
The NBA trade deadline is the best.

Deron Williams traded to the Nets for Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and 2 first round picks. Troy Murphy is sent to the Warriors in the deal (he will be bought out) and Dan Gadzurich is headed with Williams to Jersey.

Since I hate Devin Harris, I think this is a major get for the Nets. Favors is going to be in the same role he is now.

My how Utah has fallen in just a week.

Bambi
02-23-2011, 10:22 AM
eh, Prokhorov has to do something here. The Nets aren't even an after thought here nowadays.

I like Deron Williams but they need to figure something else out too. They sucked before, now they'll just suck slightly less.

Jerm
02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Prokhorov is a genius...drives up the price on Melody on the Knicks and then gets an arguably better all around player for a better package.

Awesome.

Bambi
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Prokhorov is a genius...drives up the price on Melody on the Knicks and then gets an arguably better all around player for a better package.

Awesome.

I dunno, I think he woulda done just about anything to get Anthony.

Carmelo averaged 27 a game in the 2009 playoffs where he lead the Nuggets to a game 6 in the NBA finals against the Lakers.

Only superstars do that.

DaKCMan AP
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Boston and Miami are expected to go after Murphy, with Boston the favorite.

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
wow. just wow.

And if the Celtics get Murphy they are going to be that much tougher to beat by any team

jwazzie
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Another great trade for the Thunder and Blazers. The two of the three best players in the Northwest Division gone means It is a two team race now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
What the hell is Favors going to do out there with Jefferson, Millsap, and Okur?

Pitt Gorilla
02-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Awesome.I agree. They didn't really give up that much for an elite PG. If he signs an extension, it's a steal.

The Bad Guy
02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
eh, Prokhorov has to do something here. The Nets aren't even an after thought here nowadays.

I like Deron Williams but they need to figure something else out too. They sucked before, now they'll just suck slightly less.

100% disagree.

Williams is a complete stud. Absolue elite player.

Players will want to play with him and Lopez, especially moving to Brooklyn. The appeal of playing in a neighborhood arena has to be huge for some guys.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree. They didn't really give up that much for an elite PG. If he signs an extension, it's a steal.

New Jersey definitely won the trade. I just wonder what Utah is going to do with that logjam at PF right now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
NJ would really have pulled off a coup if they didn't include this year's first rounder in the deal, but rather 2012 and 2014.

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Heat are looking to deal Miller for a center

Lzen
02-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Why on Earth would Utah trade Deron Williams? :shake:

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Why on Earth would Utah trade Deron Williams? :shake:

Because they don't think he wants to be there and won't sign his extension. Though they still would have him for another season.

It also raises the question why Jerry Sloan quit if they were going to move Williams anyway.

Dylan
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Awesome.

The Nets got a better deal with what they gave up.

However, the Knicks have Chancey Billups. Knicks are the better team.

Nets are like the Mets -- They're not going to stop the Knicks

D-Williams won't sign an extension with the Nets. I'm hearing that he's probably a loan for a year -- And then move on.

(Water Cooler talk. ... lol)

RealSNR
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Why on Earth would Utah trade Deron Williams? :shake:Dunno, but that steady stream of mild successes that team has been enjoying since the 90s is about to come to an end. They'll go into the same shithole the Timberwolves are in. It's going to take years for Utah to be good again.

Bambi
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
100% disagree.

Williams is a complete stud. Absolue elite player.

Players will want to play with him and Lopez, especially moving to Brooklyn. The appeal of playing in a neighborhood arena has to be huge for some guys.

I'm not doubting that it was a good trade for NJ.

I just think you're giving Porkorov too much credit for "driving up the price" for Anthony.

Anthony is a much bigger of a player than Deron Williams.

Don't forget the Knicks getting Billups too. It was a great move for NY.

The Bad Guy
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
The Nets got a better deal with what they gave up.

However, the Knicks have Chancey Billups. Knicks are the better team.

Nets are like the Mets -- They're not going to stop the Knicks

D-Williams won't sign an extension with the Nets. I'm hearing that he's probably a loan for a year -- And then move on.

(Water Cooler talk. ... lol)

I think this talk that "X player won't sign an extension" even before he plays a second with the team is a whole lot of nonsense.

Williams very well could want to do an extension before this CBA even shakes out so he can get more money. The Russian owner has deep pockets and a lot of backing. He'll field a competitive team there.

I'm sorry, but the Knicks/Nets, Yankees/Mets analogy is a joke.

The Knicks have no rich history and haven't fielded a consistent winner in forever.

They are a lot closer to the Nets in terms of franchise dominance than Knick fans want to believe.

WebGem
NBA Trade Deadline >

Bambi
Dunno, but that steady stream of mild successes that team has been enjoying since the 90s is about to come to an end. They'll go into the same shithole the Timberwolves are in. It's going to take years for Utah to be good again.

The future of the NBA is going to be 7-8 fantastic teams and a bunch of garbage.

Unlike the MLB there's little chance for a small-timer (SF Giants) to break through and win it all.

They should probably contract a couple of these squads.

Bambi
02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
I think this talk that "X player won't sign an extension" even before he plays a second with the team is a whole lot of nonsense.

Williams very well could want to do an extension before this CBA even shakes out so he can get more money. The Russian owner has deep pockets and a lot of backing. He'll field a competitive team there.

The Knicks have no rich history and haven't fielded a consistent winner in forever.

They are a lot closer to the Nets in terms of franchise dominance than Knick fans want to believe.

No. The Knicks have a rabid following regardless if they win or lose.

The Mets have dominated NY at times.

The Nets have never and will never take the Knicks spotlight.

Shit, they were in the finals just a few years ago and no one even noticed.

The Bad Guy
02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm not doubting that it was a good trade for NJ.

I just think you're giving Porkorov too much credit for "driving up the price" for Anthony.

Don't forget the Knicks getting Billups too. It was a great move for NY.

Carmello Anthony is not a much bigger player than Deron Williams. Deron Williams is a far better overall player than Melo.

Who else drove up the price on the Knicks? Without another dancing partner, the Knicks aren't going to have to give up as much as they did. Melo was even telling people he was headed to New Jersey during the day he was traded to New York.

The Bad Guy
02-23-2011, 11:25 AM

The Knicks have a rabid following? Since when? My brother has season tickets to the Knicks and their fans are anything but rabid.

The attendence is a direct result because they are located in dead center of the world's busiest town. They are a product of tourism more than anything.

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
The future of the NBA is going to be 7-8 fantastic teams and a bunch of garbage.

Unlike the MLB there's little chance for a small-timer (SF Giants) to break through and win it all.

They should probably contract a couple of these squads.

That is why I believe there will be a franchise type tag coming to the NBA after this season. Stern has already talked about it

Bambi
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
The Knicks have a rabid following? Since when? My brother has season tickets to the Knicks and their fans are anything but rabid.

The attendence is a direct result because they are located in dead center of the world's busiest town. They are a product of tourism more than anything.

They are like the Chiefs.

Tons of dedicated fans without a history of winning.

Some teams just have a mystic, the Knicks are one of those teams.

WebGem
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM

I don't think he was claiming the Nets have the spotlight in NYC. And if he was, he's clearly never been to NYC during basketball season when the Knicks are playing well. Even when they suck like they have the past 10 years they're still a bigger deal than the Nets even when the Nets are the #1 or #2 seed in the East, and I'm serious. It's been one decade of the Knicks absolutely sucking and that's almost certainly not gonna happen again for a very long time. (meaning it won't happen for a span of 10 years)

To say the Knicks don't have any excuses for the past 10 years with their market/players wanting to go there/etc is just a stupid argument. Just because they're the NY team in the NBA doesn't mean they're automatically gonna have superstars constantly. No team has that, and no team ever has had that.

In all honesty though, the Nets have a WAYYYYYYYYYYY better chance than the Knicks to get a title in these coming years. The Knicks could get CP3 and I still give them a 2-3% chance at one. That team just won't work. They could get a defensive minded assistant that crushes at what he does, have that whole thing work, play better defense, and they still won't win a title. It's just not happening with Melo/Amare/CP3. I really don't think I even consider 2 of the 3 'superstars'. But if the Nets DO win a title or two, it's not gonna mean shit. The Knicks are the basketball team in NYC.

nychief
02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Good trade with the Nets if they sign him... Otherwise, it is terrible. Deron is going to love getting his head beat in Newark for a year...

They next chip to fall is what happens with the CBA.

Pitt Gorilla
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think he was claiming the Nets have the spotlight in NYC. And if he was, he's clearly never been to NYC during basketball season when the Knicks are playing well. Even when they suck like they have the past 10 years they're still a bigger deal than the Nets even when the Nets are the #1 or #2 seed in the East, and I'm serious. It's been one decade of the Knicks absolutely sucking and that's almost certainly not gonna happen again for a very long time. (meaning it won't happen for a span of 10 years)

To say the Knicks don't have any excuses for the past 10 years with their market/players wanting to go there/etc is just a stupid argument. Just because they're the NY team in the NBA doesn't mean they're automatically gonna have superstars constantly. No team has that, and no team ever has had that.

In all honesty though, the Nets have a WAYYYYYYYYYYY better chance than the Knicks to get a title in these coming years. The Knicks could get CP3 and I still give them a 2-3% chance at one. That team just won't work. They could get a defensive minded assistant that crushes at what he does, have that whole thing work, play better defense, and they still won't win a title. It's just not happening with Melo/Amare/CP3. I really don't think I even consider 2 of the 3 'superstars'. But if the Nets DO win a title or two, it's not gonna mean shit. The Knicks are the basketball team in NYC.The Knicks are a stupid franchise. They let Isiah Thomas drive that thing into the ground. Donnie Walsh comes along and puts things back together. Now, there is talk of getting rid of Donnie. WTF?

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
The Knicks are a stupid franchise. They let Isiah Thomas drive that thing into the ground. Donnie Walsh comes along and puts things back together. Now, there is talk of getting rid of Donnie. WTF?

Yep. I hear they might be bringing back Isiah and dumping Donnie. Many people believe it was the owner and Isiah doing the Melo deal.

Pitt Gorilla
02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Good trade with the Nets if they sign him... Otherwise, it is terrible. Deron is going to love getting his head beat in Newark for a year...

They next chip to fall is what happens with the CBA.Player salaries are NOT going to increase.

Pitt Gorilla
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Yep. I hear they might be bringing back Isiah and dumping Donnie. Many people believe it was the owner and Isiah doing the Melo deal.That team was in cap hell (with crappy players) due to the genius of Thomas.

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
That team was in cap hell (with crappy players) due to the genius of Thomas.

No kidding. Why on earth anyone would want that guy running their team is beyond me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM

He can't sign an extension until July b/c of his Bird rights. By then, the CBA will have expired.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
The Knicks have a rich basketball history, even if they don't have a lot of titles to go with it. The Garden is a spot for ravenous basketball fans. Just because the team has sucked doesn't mean the fans aren't any less passionate.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
No kidding. Why on earth anyone would want that guy running their team is beyond me.

James Dolan is one of the dumbest motherfuckers alive. Seriously.

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
My girlfriend was going to surprise me and take me to NY to watch the Knicks and the Celtics in March. I wish she wouldn't have told me because I don't think we can go the prices for tickets have skyrocketed.

KevB
02-23-2011, 11:58 AM

That's not true. There are many who believe Deron is the best PG in the league. And the best PG in the league is more valuable than Melo.

Bambi
02-23-2011, 12:00 PM
That's not true. There are many who believe Deron is the best PG in the league. And the best PG in the league is more valuable than Melo.

Well, reports are coming out that he's not happy about going to NJ.

I enjoy watching him play, I hope he doesn't dog it due to this trade.

KevB
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, reports are coming out that he's not happy about going to NJ.

I enjoy watching him play, I hope he doesn't dog it due to this trade.

He'll get over it and play hard so he gets paid when his deal is up.

BIG_DADDY
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Lot of talent heading out East.

Los Pollos Hermanos
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
While I would rather have Deron Williams over Carmello, I don't see Williams getting along with Avery.

WebGem
02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
For those of you asking, Nets pick is unprotected this year. Jazz will, for sure, get it..

Dylan
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Tourists? Sorry, but you're 100% wrong.

KevB
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't think the Jazz have been thrilled with Jefferson's defense, so I could see him getting shipped out. But they'd need Okur to play against true centers, because Favors and Millsap are both PFs. I would think the Jazz have to make another move, but perhaps they'll continue what the Nets were doing with Favors and work him in very slowly.

The East adding Melo and Deron....wow. That's 2 top 10 players coming over.

KevB
02-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Deron found out about being traded on Sportscenter. Jazz brass must have been really upset about his role in pushing Sloan out.

The Bad Guy
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Tourists? Sorry, but you're 100% wrong.

How am I 100% wrong?

The Knicks, like most NBA teams have a loyal following. However, due to the location of MSG, the massive amounts of people daily in the city, there's no freaking way in this world that the Knicks would sell out if they were located elsewhere.

As I said, my brother has season tickets, I've gone to 3 Knicks games this year and a ton over the last 10 years and the the Knicks/Yankees to the Nets/Mets comparison is laughable at best.

dirk digler
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Deron found out about being traded on Sportscenter. Jazz brass must have been really upset about his role in pushing Sloan out.

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. IMHO Sloan had to be on the way out whether Deron was there or not.

kcxiv
02-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I dunno, I think he woulda done just about anything to get Anthony.

Carmelo averaged 27 a game in the 2009 playoffs where he lead the Nuggets to a game 6 in the NBA finals against the Lakers.

Only superstars do that.

Deron Williams is the best point guard int he game right now. Well him and Chris Paul are 1a and 1b. Rondo would be up there too if he could shoot. Hell, he'd be number 1.

D Rose is quickly gaining on that ass though.

-King-
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM

ROFLROFL That would be hilarious. I would have loved to see his face when he found out.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-23-2011, 03:14 PM
ROFLROFL That would be hilarious. I would have loved to see his face when he found out.

lol ala Gunther from The Bad Guy

Dylan
02-23-2011, 05:42 PM
How am I 100% wrong?

The Knicks, like most NBA teams have a loyal following. However, due to the location of MSG, the massive amounts of people daily in the city, there's no freaking way in this world that the Knicks would sell out if they were located elsewhere.

As I said, my brother has season tickets, I've gone to 3 Knicks games this year and a ton over the last 10 years and the the Knicks/Yankees to the Nets/Mets comparison is laughable at best.

I respect your opinion -- But your wrong -- Plain and simple...

New York is a huge sports town.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A7Y1aavsgVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

milkman
02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
The Knicks have a rich basketball history, even if they don't have a lot of titles to go with it. The Garden is a spot for ravenous basketball fans. Just because the team has sucked doesn't mean the fans aren't any less passionate.

They've had some great players here and there, but only 2 NBA titles in nearly 70 years and an overall franchise record under .500 doesn't suggest rich history to me.

SAUTO
02-23-2011, 08:21 PM
They've had some great players here and there, but only 2 NBA titles in nearly 70 years and an overall franchise record under .500 doesn't suggest rich history to me.
I think it had more to do with the garden and the playground ball ny is legendary for.

Imo ny city has a rich bb history. Not only because of the knicks though
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
02-23-2011, 08:23 PM
I respect your opinion -- But your wrong -- Plain and simple...

New York is a huge sports town.

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A7Y1aavsgVk" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I'm not getting into a pissing war about how passionate Knicks fans are. There are some that are, but there are more fans there taking in a game due to it being in New York City in a historic arena than diehard fans.

New York is a huge sports town. I'm not disputing that. What I'm disputing is they are a diehard every year Knicks town.

If my brother can secure center court 3rd level season tickets this year for the Knicks then there's something wrong with the loyal every year fan base.