PDA

View Full Version : News Droid app gets driver out of speeding ticket

Fire Me Boy!
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/02/23/droid-speeding-ticket/

Sahas Katta got clocked by a cop doing over 40 in a 25 mph zone. He handed over his info and signed the ticket, but then remembered he was running Google MyTracks on his Motorola Droid. For the uninitiated, MyTracks is an Android app that uses the phone's GPS to record and plot where the user has travelled, allowing you to log a jog, bike ride or drive. After looking at the data and doing some research, Katta discovered that he never crested the 25 mph speed limit and decided to fight the ticket.

You can read the entire account over at SkatterTech, but for the tl;dr crowd, the cop didn't know the last time he went through radar training, when the gun was serviced or the unit's model number. OutFrontKatta then busted out the GPS data from his Droid, and after reviewing the evidence and Katta's clean driving record, the judge let him off. Granted, he may have just gotten lucky thanks to a uninformed judge and a hapless cop, but the results all the same.

jd1020
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Suck it iPhone.

Donger
02-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Suck it iPhone.

An iPhone would not only have provided the same information, it would have gone to court by itself.

jd1020
02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
An iPhone would not only have provided the same information, it would have gone to court by itself.

There's no proof of this. You have no case!

MOhillbilly
02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
But do they suck eggs & pull stumps?

KurtCobain
02-25-2011, 12:13 PM
My cell phone has a calculator and a calender.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Suck it iPhone.ROFL

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
An iPhone would not only have provided the same information, it would have gone to court by itself.The iPhone would have convinced the officer to tear up the ticket.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I never knew, until recently, that gps detects your speed. A friend of mine gave me a gps device and I was testing it and noticed it displays your speed.

Discuss Thrower
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Aviation GPSs have been providing speeds for a while now.

Donger
02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I never knew, until recently, that gps detects your speed. A friend of mine gave me a gps device and I was testing it and noticed it displays your speed.

I don't think it is accurate to state that GPS detects one's speed.

Monty
02-25-2011, 12:35 PM

Objection! Speculation......

HoneyBadger
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
And the driver didn't notice he was only traveling 25, not 40, when he was initially pulled over? Idiot.

milkman
02-25-2011, 12:40 PM
My cell phone has a calculator and a calender.

Mine has those and a camera, and that's far too high tech for my dumb ass.

-King-
02-25-2011, 12:47 PM
And the driver didn't notice he was only traveling 25, not 40, when he was initially pulled over? Idiot.

Doesn't matter if he noticed it or not. Its not like he could have told the cop "um I wasn't going 40 so don't give me that ticket".
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRichard
02-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Doesn't matter if he noticed it or not. Its not like he could have told the cop "um I wasn't going 40 so don't give me that ticket".
Posted via Mobile Device

The cop who taught our defensive driving course said to never argue with a cop over a speeding ticket even if you don't believe it. Just happily take it and go to court to fight it. If you argue they tend to take better notes because they think you may fight it. If you happily take it they tend to forget about the details which will help you in court.

kcfanXIII
02-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't think it is accurate to state that GPS detects one's speed.

Its actually a very accurate way to do it. Although if you are splitting hairs i guess you have a point. It tracks how far you travel in a set amount if time. Oh wait... Isn't that speed?

Donger
02-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Its actually a very accurate way to do it. Although if you are splitting hairs i guess you have a point. It tracks how far you travel in a set amount if time. Oh wait... Isn't that speed?

Yes, but technically that isn't GPS doing that. I would think that the phone takes the GPS coordinates, measures distance and then notes the time to come up with the speed.

chasedude
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM

It sure is, I hope Donger was just being facetious.

-King-
02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
The cop who taught our defensive driving course said to never argue with a cop over a speeding ticket even if you don't believe it. Just happily take it and go to court to fight it. If you argue they tend to take better notes because they think you may fight it. If you happily take it they tend to forget about the details which will help you in court.

Yup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised the Droid had enough battery life to use a GPS app long enough to establish a speed....

He must have had a spare battery...

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm surprised the Droid had enough battery life to use a GPS app long enough to establish a speed....

He must have had a spare battery...Ha! Oh you silly apple fanboy. Rooted Androids get much better battery life. :)

kcfanXIII
02-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Yes, but technically that isn't GPS doing that. I would think that the phone takes the GPS coordinates, measures distance and then notes the time to come up with the speed.

splitting hairs... Got it.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't think it is accurate to state that GPS detects one's speed.How would you state it? When my GPS device is on and I'm moving, it displays the speed.

Ebolapox
02-25-2011, 03:17 PM

he was driving slow cause he was texting, brah. duh.

jwazzie
02-25-2011, 03:36 PM
The Droid is the Chuck Norris of all phones

KurtCobain
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Mine has those and a camera, and that's far too high tech for my dumb ass.

Holy shit, I'm on a caveman level in technology, I need to upgrade.

KCFalcon59
02-25-2011, 03:57 PM

That's because he was stoned. :bong:

kstater
02-25-2011, 03:59 PM

All for only $1499.

Then the annual upgrade for a mere $99.

Third Eye
02-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Actually no, that is average speed.

joesomebody
02-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Actually no, that is average speed.
True, but there isn't a reliable method to detect actual speed. Just about every measurement of speed I can think of does it this way.

JD10367
02-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Meh. My iPhone would've sucked his c*ck FOR me and gotten the ticket ripped up. /AppleWorshipers :D

Valiant
02-26-2011, 12:44 PM
The app did not get him out of the ticket.. The fact he questioned when the cops last training on the radar, when the radar was last adjusted and the cop was unable to answer is what got him out of the ticket..