PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs McCluster becoming 3rd down back

chiefforlife
02-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Dexter McCluster - RB - Chiefs

Coach Todd Haley is considering moving Dexter McCluster into a full-time role as the Chiefs' third-down back.
"It’s ... closer to what he was doing at Mississippi," Haley said. "I think it will give him more chances of break off some big plays." The Chiefs originally tried McCluster at slot receiver, but he caught only 21 passes for 209 yards and one touchdown in 11 games as a rookie. We don't see the undersized sparkplug becoming a fantasy asset anytime soon.
Source: BobGretz.com

chiefforlife
02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
I dont like this move, Charles should be our 3rd down back. Giving the ball to McCluster is a wasted play. At least it was last year.

DMAC
02-26-2011, 09:39 AM
How about...3rd STRING back.

RUSH
02-26-2011, 09:39 AM
That's how you get value out of a high second rounder. Take notes people.

KCUnited
02-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Nickname for our backfield, Two and a Half Men.

Bwana
02-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Wow :shake:

OnTheWarpath15
02-26-2011, 09:41 AM
:facepalm:

New for 2011: Jamaal needs even more carries.

stevieray
02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
that will be hard to gameplan for...

:rolleyes:

Ebolapox
02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
waste of second rounder. turk mcbride v 2.0. Scott Pioli, I am disappoint.

Buehler445
02-26-2011, 09:45 AM

This.

Charles is a better 3rd down back than McCluster.

HAVE HIM LEARN TO CATCH THE FUCKING BALL AND RUN ROUTES.

chiefforlife
02-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Haha!ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
This.

Charles is a better 3rd down back than McCluster.

HAVE HIM LEARN TO CATCH THE FUCKING BALL AND RUN ROUTES.

I'd love to know why this organization thinks everyone else needs "more chances of break off some big plays," while the guy that's averaged 6 yards a carry and 9 yards a reception for his CAREER is an afterthought.

Priest31kc
02-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Wow, really? Waste of a 2nd round pick then. Now we still need an outside WR, another outside WR for depth, and now a slot receiver again?

This, and hearing that Haley wants to call a more conservative game plan a couple weeks ago, is just odd.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
If it means Jones getting less carries.... then good.

BigCatDaddy
02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
What the hell is a 3rd down back anymore? Does the mean he only comes in on 3rd and long because I don't see him in on 3rd and short. Maybe he is more of a obvious passing down back then a 3rd down back. I would rather just see him as the backup running back to Charles and keep Battle as the short yardage back.

chiefforlife
02-26-2011, 10:14 AM
What the hell is a 3rd down back anymore? Does the mean he only comes in on 3rd and long because I don't see him in on 3rd and short. Maybe he is more of a obvious passing down back then a 3rd down back.

Either way, Charles should be in there.

Okie_Apparition
02-26-2011, 10:15 AM
1:WTF do you think we should take a fullback at #21?

2: Because this guy is a can't miss. And I was right all along about McCluster.

3: You want Mallet? WTF would you want Mallet at #21?

4: He has the makings of a star! And I saw that McCluster was going to be a bust from the second he was picked.

5: Why don't you think Haley can call plays and HC too?

6: He's hot headed and lacks the descipline. When they picked McCluster in the 2nd I knew Todd was a moron. I have been saying it since that day.

7: Why do you think Sara Palin could not make a decent POTF?

8: She has to talk out of her azz because her mouth is stuffed with conservative cock. I new McCluster was an acident waiting to happen the second I saw his mug.

9: Lemon pie must die, why?

10: He gives me the creeps, just like Dexter McCluster

BigCatDaddy
02-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Either way, Charles should be in there.

Yeah, I edited my post to expand on that.

salame
02-26-2011, 10:18 AM
uh-oh
we don't have enough first round picks to get:
NTOTF, QBOTF, WROTF, OLBOTF, ILBOTF, RTOTF

FUUUUUUUUCK

chiefforlife
02-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I edited my post to expand on that.

I dont even like him as a backup RB. I was OK with him being a slot WR, but he isnt any good there either.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
...and the Planet bleeds out its vagina...

Reaper16
02-26-2011, 10:39 AM
He was far better as a RB in his rookie season than he was at WR. Playing him at RB could allow for Charles to get a sustainable number of carries while not suffering a huge drop in team yards per carry or explosiveness. McCluster, to me, seems most effective in such a role.

Which means that he was a disastrous pick in the high second-round, of course.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 10:47 AM
He was far better as a RB in his rookie season than he was at WR. Playing him at RB could allow for Charles to get a sustainable number of carries while not suffering a huge drop in team yards per carry or explosiveness. McCluster, to me, seems most effective in such a role.

Which means that he was a disastrous pick in the high second-round, of course.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that.

1. All I know is that if this is true, it was a tremendous waste of a pick.
2. The argument everyone is making that Charles needs to get more carries and touches after he almost broke in half in the second half of the season is ludicrous
3. McCluster needs to be a slot receiver. Period. Ridiculous to say he's even close to peaked, and equally ridiculous to say he's shown he's worth the pick. But if Haley decides to move him away from the slot, it either means he's admitting to Pioli's mistake or he's not smart enough to realize where McCluster's best possibility to contribute would be. Either one of those is damning to the Chiefs, so I sure hope that this is just wild speculation.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that.

1. All I know is that if this is true, it was a tremendous waste of a pick.
2. The argument everyone is making that Charles needs to get more carries and touches after he almost broke in half in the second half of the season is ludicrous
3. McCluster needs to be a slot receiver. Period. Ridiculous to say he's even close to peaked, and equally ridiculous to say he's shown he's worth the pick. But if Haley decides to move him away from the slot, it either means he's admitting to Pioli's mistake or he's not smart enough to realize where McCluster's best possibility to contribute would be. Either one of those is damning to the Chiefs, so I sure hope that this is just wild speculation.

By the way, reason I disagree is that there are a lot of reasons outside of McCluster for why he wasn't as good in the slot as he could be. That has a lot to do with our ineffective QB and our complete inability to stretch the field vertically.

Ebolapox
02-26-2011, 10:49 AM
I'll always be pissed that we passed on clausen and terrance cody for inspector gadget.

spanky 52
02-26-2011, 10:49 AM
They have to try and justify the pick some way. To me he's nothing more than a return man.

Bob Dole
02-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Great. Let's have a 3rd down back who will just bounce off the line in 3rd and short and fall down. Or maybe run backwards for 7 yards.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 10:53 AM
I'll always be pissed that we passed on clausen and terrance cody for inspector gadget.

I think there's more than enough of a chance that he'll turn out to be a decent player. But this move, if true, is his death rattle.

Ebolapox
02-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I think there's more than enough of a chance that he'll turn out to be a decent player. But this move, if true, is his death rattle.

oh, no doubt on both points. the drafting of him, though, still feels like cowardice. yeah, let's prop up cassel by any means necessary--let's just not get him a REAL FUCKING WR OR A NOSE TACKLE SO OUR RUN DEFENSE ISN'T GASHED BY POWER FUCKING RUNNING TEAMS. let's not EVER FUCKING TAKE A CHANCE ON A QB EXCEPT FOR YEARS ENDING IN 64, 79 OR 83.

fuck this team sometimes, man.

salame
02-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I mean it's not like we needed Cody..............oh wait

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
McCluster is Welker

hootie

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 11:03 AM
and he's worse than Charles at everything

the idea you'd want to give him the ball on 3rd down instead of Charles is fucking hilarious....almost as hilarious as drafting a worthless midget with the 36th pick in the deepest fucking draft in years...

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2011, 11:04 AM
McCluster is Welker

hootie

The rationalizations for that pick were fucking horrendous. Of course, people will fall over themselves to apologize for them, and admit they were wrong.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 11:05 AM
oh, no doubt on both points. the drafting of him, though, still feels like cowardice. yeah, let's prop up cassel by any means necessary--let's just not get him a REAL ****ING WR OR A NOSE TACKLE SO OUR RUN DEFENSE ISN'T GASHED BY POWER ****ING RUNNING TEAMS. let's not EVER ****ING TAKE A CHANCE ON A QB EXCEPT FOR YEARS ENDING IN 64, 79 OR 83.

**** this team sometimes, man.

I would have drafted Clausen, but I don't really care for Cody. I don't know why people are on his nuts. If I'm taking a NT at that pick, it would have been Troup.

Still, while a QB is one story, the biggest criticism everyone had about the Chiefs is that they refused to take playmakers. Today, people are upset that they didn't take a foundational guy. If McCluster does end up being a playmaking slot receiver, I'm curious to see how people evaluate that pick.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 11:06 AM
McCluster is Welker

hootie

McCluster isn't Welker. But there's no reason to believe he can't grow into a Welker role. The problem is, he doesn't have the supporting cast to do that.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Put MCluster and Charles in the back field and send them out opposite sides for a screen and it should be awesome.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I would have drafted Clausen, but I don't really care for Cody. I don't know why people are on his nuts. If I'm taking a NT at that pick, it would have been Troup.

Still, while a QB is one story, the biggest criticism everyone had about the Chiefs is that they refused to take playmakers. Today, people are upset that they didn't take a foundational guy. If McCluster does end up being a playmaking slot receiver, I'm curious to see how people evaluate that pick.

I wanted Linval Joseph over any of those guys. He didn't play much his rookie year, but he is an ideal size/strength specimen, and I think he's gonna end up being a very good player.

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 11:09 AM

people are upset that they drafted a worthless, positionless, midget piece of shit with the 36th pick in the draft when we could have used an actual player at almost any position....

but hey, the Eagles wanted him so we had to draft him

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 11:11 AM
McCluster isn't Welker. But there's no reason to believe he can't grow into a Welker role. The problem is, he doesn't have the supporting cast to do that.

there is actually no reason to have ever believed he could be Welker

he has no position in the nfl

Ebolapox
02-26-2011, 11:11 AM

the thing is, what's more important: a playmaker at WR (I kinda wanted arrelious benn, golden tate or brandon lafell) or a gadget player who never gets on the field full-time? I mean, I know the saints won the super bowl last year, but they did so because brees did a lot of throwing to his WRs, not because of anything MAJOR that reggie bush did--I still view that pick as a bust.

suds79
02-26-2011, 11:13 AM
So they're officially moving him to the RB position. :whackit:

He was and has been a RB this whole time anyways. Might as well call it what it is.

Lets hope they draft a WR who actually played WR in college this year. :thumb: :banghead:

That 2nd round is starting to look pretty rough.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 11:13 AM
people are upset that they drafted a worthless, positionless, midget piece of shit with the 36th pick in the draft when we could have used an actual player at almost any position....

but hey, the Eagles wanted him so we had to draft him

He was drafted on the promise that he would be a gadget receiver whose primary position would be at the slot. I don't think he has any future whatsoever as a RB, so to me, if he fails in the slot, he was a complete waste of a pick. But to say he's positionless before he's given any time to grow into the position is jumping the gun way too soon.

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM
if we wanted a 'playmaker' at WR, then we should have drafted

wait for it

a fucking WR

if we wanted a rb, then we should have drafted

you know what's coming

a fucking RB (Blount in the 5th...yeah, a rb)

we drafted some guy we found stuck in a clown car

Ebolapox
02-26-2011, 11:17 AM

wait for it

a fucking WR

you know what's coming

a fucking RB (Blount in the 5th...yeah, a rb)

QFSRFT

...quoted for sad, realistic fucking truthiness.

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
He was drafted on the promise that he would be a gadget receiver whose primary position would be at the slot. I don't think he has any future whatsoever as a RB, so to me, if he fails in the slot, he was a complete waste of a pick. But to say he's positionless before he's given any time to grow into the position is jumping the gun way too soon.

according to this article, he's already failed as a slot wr....so there you go

and yes he's positionless, he has no natural skill or build for either rb or wr in the nfl....you can force him into a position, which we're doing...but because he's inherently right for it

his position is 'trick play guy'

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 11:20 AM
there is actually no reason to have ever believed he could be Welker

he has no position in the nfl

Yeah, you're not exaggerating just a little bit. So McCluster has clearly shown zero ability to do anything with the ball. He's slow and clearly has no agility. We all know that when he has the ball and has some room to run, he can be electric. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

The reason he would thrive in a Welker role is that the role revolves around getting the ball to him in space so he can catch and run. Much different from a gadget play, where you're forcing the ball into his hands on a designed play. The problem is we don't have a QB who can move the safeties back and our receivers are worthless in the deep field. You can't slip underneath the coverages when the defense is crowding the short field.

McCluster has a long way to go to be worth a shit. But you also can't fully blame him when some of the issues are with his supporting cast's ability to be at least average on a few important areas.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 11:23 AM
according to this article, he's already failed as a slot wr....so there you go

and yes he's positionless, he has no natural skill or build for either rb or wr in the nfl....you can force him into a position, which we're doing...but because he's inherently right for it

his position is 'trick play guy'

I've already said that if he's a RB, it's either a huge mistake or admitting to a draft day failure. I still think it's the former rather than the latter. But to say this article in February coming from a tight-lipped organization is proof that he's a failure as a slot receiver? C'mon, man.

To say he doesn't have the natural skill or build to be a slot receiver is flat out ridiculous.

Rasputin
02-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Cool! I like it. Think McCluster is going to work out good doing this. I could be wrong, but this is cool for them to give this opportunity to McCluster. We haven't seen his full potential yet from his rookie year this could really kick ass, we have to wait and see how it works out.

I would have prefurred drafting a QB, however I think DM can be a phenomenal player if he is utilized the right way. He can make a big impact for us. He has to prove him self & I'm glad he is getting this opportunity.

Reerun_KC
02-26-2011, 11:27 AM

This... Unless Charles is getting 25-30+ carries a game, were fucked..

I want to see Charles break LJ's carry record...

IF so he will rush for 3000+ years /typical CP poster...

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 11:27 AM

wait for it

a ****ing WR

you know what's coming

a ****ing RB (Blount in the 5th...yeah, a rb)

There is a huge difference between a wide receiver who plays his position well and a wide receiver who is brought in to be lightning in a bottle. And before the last draft, all of our discussions were about getting the latter over the former.

If (and a very big If) McCluster thrives as a playmaker at slot receiver, and people are upset about it, they're revising history.

salame
02-26-2011, 11:34 AM
JAMAAL NEEDS 40+ CARRIES A GAME
IF HE DID HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6 YRDS PER CARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THATS 3840 YARDS A SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reerun_KC
02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
JAMAAL NEEDS 40+ CARRIES A GAME
IF HE DID HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6 YRDS PER CARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THATS 3840 YARDS A SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This!

I am so looking forward to another season of JC needs more carries..

How about "JC need to get hurt less and fumble less"...

salame
02-26-2011, 11:39 AM
This!

I am so looking forward to another season of JC needs more carries..

How about "JC need to get hurt less and fumble less"...

HE NEVER GETS HURT
IT NEVER HURT LARRY JOHNSON
NO RUNNING BACK NEEDS REST
LOOK AT CHRIS JOHNSON
LOOK AT ADRIAN PETERSON
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Franchise
02-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Yet another awesome 2nd round pick by the Chiefs.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Line up to suck me dry.

Reerun_KC
02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
It will be interesting to see how this works out...

Dude is electric, I am looking forward to this...

tk13
02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
If we do happen to go to an 18 game season... this is something we'll probably have to do anyway. Everybody will be playing 2-3 RB's. If not, then I don't know. I just don't think they're going to subject Charles to 350 carries a year. And that might not be a bad thing.

Halfcan
02-26-2011, 11:47 AM

ROFL

Hammock Parties
02-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Some of you are idiots. McCluster's body is not built to take part of the load off Charles.

He's a 50-carry player.

Pan out as a wide receiver or GTFO, midget.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2011, 11:58 AM
You know why Welker gets open in space?

Because he knows how to run routes.

RINGLEADER
02-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Tamarack Vanover Part Deux

DomerNKC
02-26-2011, 12:04 PM
<TABLE id=post6707916 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; FONT-SIZE: x-small; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 0px solid; cellpadding: 0px; cellspacing: 0px" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 04-24-2010, 01:47 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 0px solid; FONT-SIZE: x-small; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; cellpadding: 0px; cellspacing: 0px" class=thead align=right> #105 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6707916&postcount=105) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>DomerNKC (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=6569)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6707916", true); </SCRIPT> http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/statusicon/user_online.gif
MVP

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar6569_10.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=6569)

Casino cash: $3806

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" id=td_post_6707916 class=alt1><!-- message -->Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by OleMissCUb http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=6707686#post6707686)
if he turns into a stud in the NFL are you dudes still gonna go be going "HAR HAR! He's a MIDGET!"

If he was some dwarf that shredded Sunbelt or SWAC defenses, then I'd be suspect to. But he outright annihilated the best (and fastest) defenses in the country. The guy was a special player regardless of his size in college and he might be a special player regardless of his size in the pros.

Apparently the only aspect of his game that you can really criticize is his size, so you harp on it constantly.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
ok. This strong, Powerful, Tough guy with all that moxy that annihilated the best defenses in the country that got up after every big hit put the ball on the ground how many times? Guys that are too small that get hit by guys that are too big tend to let go of the ball. This is the NFL. A lot of the big guys that hit him in the past, will be sackin groceries next year, so how fast he gets up after the waiter hit him doesn't matter. When Ray Lewis hits him he will put the ball on the ground.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Behold the bitten apple, the power of the tools, but all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools.
<!-- / sig --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
You know why Welker gets open in space?

Because he knows how to run routes.

That's a big part of it. But a huge part of it is that he also had players like Randy Moss to open up the underneath space. It's no coincidence that he's had a 1,000+ yard season every season he played with Moss.

So the one claim is that Welker would have been a 500-600 yard receiver in the Chiefs' offense, where defenders are crowding the line.

The other claim is that McCluster isn't bad at routes, but he's not close to where he needs to be and there's absolutely no reason to believe that he won't ever get there. Running NFL routes takes time, especially when you played most of your college career at RB.

OnTheWarpath15
02-26-2011, 12:17 PM
This... Unless Charles is getting 25-30+ carries a game, were fucked..

I want to see Charles break LJ's carry record...

IF so he will rush for 3000+ years /typical CP poster...

Shocking that you're purposely missing the point to argue the poster, and not the post.

No one has said JC should get 25 carries a game.

I don't even think anyone has said that JC should get 25 touches per game.

But I think everyone would agree that he should be getting 19-20 touches per game, which means around 300-320 touches.

He was 2-3 touches a game away from that last year.

Now there's talk of taking 3rd down touches away from him.

Unless the plan is to completely ignore Two-Yard Thomas this year, JC's touches are going in the wrong direction.

Sure-Oz
02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Great 2nd round pick

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
This is GREAT news! I'm glad they've finally locked up that important "3rd down back" position.

Plus, guys that wanted to see the Chiefs draft Koa Misi, Daryl Washington, Terrance Cody, Lindvall Joseph, Arrelious Benn, Mike Williams or Sean Lee can EAT SHIT because the Chiefs have their 3rd Down Back.

Finally!

-King-
02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Lol bust.
Posted via Mobile Device

02-26-2011, 01:10 PM
This is GREAT news! I'm glad they've finally locked up that important "3rd down back" position.

Plus, guys that wanted to see the Chiefs draft Koa Misi, Daryl Washington, Terrance Cody, Lindvall Joseph, Arrelious Benn, Mike Williams or Sean Lee can EAT SHIT because the Chiefs have their 3rd Down Back.

Finally!

I don't think I even saw Mike Williams being picked in the 3rd round in "Are you smarter than a Pioli" thread. Just a bunch of gadgety Gilyards. No Benn, and only one Misi too. Cody was a popular pick, but it appears Troup may have been the way to go....although for the most part he was put behind both Terrence and Joseph around here. And I don't think Joseph was all too productive. Sean Lee? meh. Washington? ok you got me...

Sannyasi
02-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Wow, okay. You guys can be as negative as you want, but the truth of the matter is that if we hadn't drafted McCluster, Philadelphia would have. Then where would we be?

Hammock Parties
02-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Wow, okay. You guys can be as negative as you want, but the truth of the matter is that if we hadn't drafted McCluster, Philadelphia would have. Then where would we be?

BETTER OFF

Sannyasi
02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
BETTER OFF

I don't think you understood my point. Think about it. If we hadn't drafted McCluster, Philadelphia would have drafted him. Then we would be stuck with another player entirely.

BossChief
02-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Writing off a player with the resume of DMC after 11 games is as foolish as some of the claims being made here.

The guy flashed elite quicks and speed in real action and I'm all for any plan that calls for him to get more chances to touch the rock.

If they choose to follow the Sproles model for his career, thats probably a good thing.

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 02:33 PM

with one less hole to fill in this year's draft?

the Talking Can
02-26-2011, 02:37 PM
someone should start another "Apologize to McCluster!lolololarg~!" thread

ChiefsCountry
02-26-2011, 02:39 PM
So we got our Kevin Faulk. Awesome.

Rasputin
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
I think we can have a great triple threat backfield with JC, Jackie Battle & McCluster. Jones can be used sparingly if need be & can mentor the younger backs. If it's an 18 week season then having 4 backs is a good idea, if still 16 week then I think Jones is expendable. I'm expecting great things this year with our running game and Dex McCluster is going to be a major aspect to that. Dexter McCluster is going to contribute to our succuss, it's a matter of him taking advantage of his opportunities. Same with Jackie Battle, Jamaal Charles is there & he needs to continue with doing what he does and hold onto the ball tho.

The games we won, we had big plays out of our running game with JC. He doesn't have to touch the ball all the time, but his abililty to break a big gainer is what separated him from the rest of the league. I think McCluster can add to that with big time plays out of the back field when least expected. On third down it wont be predictable as much to run or pass with him back there. I must be living in a fantacy to think this, but damn I've seen McCluster do this. We need consistancy to make us a better team. Am hoping we can get that consistancy out of him and our running game. It's our passing game that is the bigger issue imo.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
apparently all the receiving skills people said DMC had didn't translate to the pro game.

over/under on how many carries it takes until DMC gets broken in half?

Mr. Laz
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Writing off a player with the resume of DMC after 11 games is as foolish as some of the claims being made here.

The guy flashed elite quicks and speed in real action and I'm all for any plan that calls for him to get more chances to touch the rock.

If they choose to follow the Sproles model for his career, thats probably a good thing.
all great except for the fact that he didn't flash the ability to make people miss.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 03:03 PM
all great except for the fact that he didn't flash the ability to make people miss.

You can't be serious

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 03:04 PM
apparently all the receiving skills people said DMC had didn't translate to the pro game.

over/under on how many carries it takes until DMC gets broken in half?

He's not the first or the last to take more than a season to figure out how to play receiver in the NFL.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
He's not the first or the last to take more than a season to figure out how to play receiver in the NFL.
then why are the chiefs giving up on the slot receiver experiment.

Rasputin
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Think they realize they can get more production out of him in the backfield. I agree with this move, he did more in college as RB that way.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 03:10 PM

It's February and we're talking about Bob Gretz leaking out some insider information from a tight-lipped organization. I'm going to need just a little more proof that this is actually the case than this.

RealSNR
02-26-2011, 03:12 PM
If I recall correctly, Dante Hall had a miserable shitty rookie year. That was largely due to Gunther/Raye having no fucking clue what to do with him, so they left him at gimmick back/returner. He was drafted to return kicks but couldn't get the hang of it and lost his job to Kevin fucking Lockett. He was listed the rest of the year as a RB but never ever fucking saw the field.

Vermeil was at least able to see that this guy could be a WR, and if he were to stick on the team, that's where he would have to be slotted.

There's a logjam at RB. I don't want to hear any of this "you can't have too many good RBs." Bullshit. All these guys want/need carries. And all of them are taking touches away from the ONE GUY who should be toting the rock, and that's Charles. That's a problem, and it's not a good problem, either.

This is a dumbass decision by Haley. Force McCluster to learn the WR position or flush him down the toilet. He's worthless if he can't effectively contribute on offense. And taking carries away from Charles is NOT effectively contributing. It's slowing it down, no matter how much speed this midget has.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2011, 03:13 PM
You can't be serious

completely serious

seems like every time he tries to go full speed he almost gets killed because he can't make people miss.

the return for a touchdown was wide open and he just used speed

he did show a bit of elusiveness on his only receiving touchdown ... against the 49ers iirc.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
It's February and we're talking about Bob Gretz leaking out some insider information from a tight-lipped organization. I'm going to need just a little more proof that this is actually the case than this.
ok ... fair enough.

but imo if DMC doesn't prove himself as a wide receiver then it was a pretty crappy draft pick. There is nothing that DMC brings as a running back that Charles doesn't already provide.

we need a dam slot receiver

RealSNR
02-26-2011, 03:18 PM
It's February and we're talking about Bob Gretz leaking out some insider information from a tight-lipped organization. I'm going to need just a little more proof that this is actually the case than this.I hope you're right.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 03:27 PM
completely serious

seems like every time he tries to go full speed he almost gets killed because he can't make people miss.

the return for a touchdown was wide open and he just used speed

he did show a bit of elusiveness on his only receiving touchdown ... against the 49ers iirc.

I think the important thing is going to be putting him in a position to actually make these kinds of plays. I thought our kickoff coverage was atrocious and I really wish the Chiefs would re-evaluate Hoffman's effectiveness at teaching kickoff coverage. And on offense, we're forcing the ball into his hands and forcing a big play to happen through trickery, but he's only going to be successful if he can get the ball in a natural play progression. And I can't help but wonder if his ankle hurt his ability to make the kind of sharp cuts he made in college.

When he gets the ball naturally, there was definitely a lot of flash. He had several short third down plays where he extended a short screen into an impressive long conversion. He had a few big plays called back.

I know what you're saying, but I'm looking back more to the things he did in college and the way he dominated the 3 cone in the combine. The kid will make people miss, but he has to learn how to run routes better and become a more natural receiver. His best chance to make plays is to become a catch and run guy.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I know what you're saying, but I'm looking back more to the things he did in college and the way he dominated the 3 cone in the combine.
as usually that stuff translates immediately or not at all

RB's can usually do their thing from the very beginning

maybe he was in too much of a hurry, trying to hard but it's not looking good so far.

Rasputin
02-26-2011, 03:55 PM
IMO, if we get production out of DM in the back field then what's wrong with that? He isn't taking any thing away from JC, Jones is the one who held us back on that front. Having Jamaal & Dexter duo is going to be hard for defenses to contest with. If we can get Jackie Battle added to the mix and a lot less Jones we should be able to run away with the running game. I feel more comfortable with Dexter as RB than slot reciever. We still need a slot reciever, but the coaches have to put the players in the best position for succes and I think that is what they are trying to do with Dext. Dexter wouldn't be taking anything away from JC but adding some big play abilitiy to boot along the game.

I don't know, but I am exited with this having Dext in the backfield and his roll on third down. Think we will get more production out of him that way and as a team get better. Jamaal should defintly get the majority of carries with out over using him at the same time.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
as usually that stuff translates immediately or not at all

RB's can usually do their thing from the very beginning

maybe he was in too much of a hurry, trying to hard but it's not looking good so far.

The last part is partly true. He actually wasn't half bad as a runner if you take out all the shitty gimmick gadget plays. No big plays, but nickel and dimed a few. But that's not going to be his game because he's way too small to do it. I also don't think he's the kind of burst back who's going to explode a sweep past the defense. He's not the type of guy who's going to be surrounded by 4 defenders and make all 4 miss. He's the type of guy who if you put him up against a one-on-one tackling situation, 9 times out of 10 he can make that defender miss with his agility.

But I mean... it's not like Wes Welker would make a good RB either. Where he's most dangerous is not just his route running, but especially in his ability to catch and run. That's where McCluster needs to be. We know he can run when he has space. He just has to learn to do the things to set up that opportunity without forcing Haley to playcall a gimmick play to get the ball in his hands. RBs transition quickly, but WRs take time, especially WRs who played most of their college career as a RB.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 04:00 PM
By the way, is there anything in this article that says he's not going to be a slot receiver? Just because he's a full-time 3rd down back doesn't mean he won't see significant snaps on 1st and 2nd down too. And I hardly think that he's going to be the primary back on 3rd and short.

All this seems to tell me is that in third and long situations, McCluster (not Charles) will be on the field. Third and long, which will usually be passing situations. I don't think there's anything in this post that is groundbreaking.

jd1020
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Does this mean that we are going to draft another midget speedster at the slot?

jd1020
02-26-2011, 04:14 PM
By the way, is there anything in this article that says he's not going to be a slot receiver? Just because he's a full-time 3rd down back doesn't mean he won't see significant snaps on 1st and 2nd down too. And I hardly think that he's going to be the primary back on 3rd and short.

All this seems to tell me is that in third and long situations, McCluster (not Charles) will be on the field. Third and long, which will usually be passing situations. I don't think there's anything in this post that is groundbreaking.

Although its not quoted as being said by Haley, this article makes it sound like McCluster will not play as a slot receiver anymore.

Rasputin
02-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Does this mean that we are going to draft another midget speedster at the slot?

lol, we need a #2 WR , then a slot reciever too. It would be nice if we can get something out of Jeremy Horne, Quinten Lawrence, Chandler Williams or Verran Tucker that are young and on our roster at the moment. Any one of these guys need to step up to the plate. I don't care about Terrance Cooper or Chris Chambers they are worthless now.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 04:32 PM
JFC. And all of a sudden, everything some of us were bitching about when he was drafted just came to fruition. Bellicheck is what made New England what they were. It sure as fuck wasn't Scott Pioli. That much is becoming clearer, and clearer.

Hoover
02-26-2011, 04:36 PM
1st Down Back: Thomas Jones
2nd Down Back: Jamaal Charles
3rd Down Back: McCluster
4th Down Back: 2nd Round 2011 Pick

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Although its not quoted as being said by Haley, this article makes it sound like McCluster will not play as a slot receiver anymore.

Well, like I said, if they do move him to more of a full-time running back role, they're morons. But I'll wait and see during the season if there's any truth to any of this.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 04:43 PM
JFC. And all of a sudden, everything some of us were bitching about when he was drafted just came to fruition. Bellicheck is what made New England what they were. It sure as **** wasn't Scott Pioli. That much is becoming clearer, and clearer.

I think it's hard to harp on Pioli for messing up one pick (if he even messed it up at all--WAY too soon to tell). The Chiefs were significantly better in 2010 despite no huge free agent upgrades. If the Chiefs put together a similarly successful draft in 2011 and make a big splash in free agency, there's no reason to believe this team won't be a contender. But that's a very, very big "IF" and will be a lot tougher given our draft position.

Ralphy Boy
02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Wow, really? Waste of a 2nd round pick then.

Who could have ever saw this coming? Then again, I was mad that we took him over Clausen...and Cam Thomas.

Its well documented that I wasn't happy with the pick, but as I said late in the season, I don't think they were using him right in the first place. It was as if Haley & Pioli had one vision for him and Weis was as pissed as me that we pased on Clausen & Tate, so he didn't put him in a position to succeed. Then again, I think it was Haley who said he'd be a slot WR in the first place.

All in all, I do think he's a dynamic player who will have success but the injury issue will plague his career.

Rasputin
02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Well, like I said, if they do move him to more of a full-time running back role, they're morons. But I'll wait and see during the season if there's any truth to any of this.

I disagree with this, I think Dexter will get more production being a RB than slot reciever. Look at his college years he did very good out of the backfield. I think this is a good decision going forward & have Dex concentrate on that aspect of his game. He can still be used in many ways and this team has many shift changes so you really don't know where he will end up start of the play. I look at him as a RB not WR, that's what he does best.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 05:04 PM
I think it's hard to harp on Pioli for messing up one pick (if he even messed it up at all--WAY too soon to tell). The Chiefs were significantly better in 2010 despite no huge free agent upgrades. If the Chiefs put together a similarly successful draft in 2011 and make a big splash in free agency, there's no reason to believe this team won't be a contender. But that's a very, very big "IF" and will be a lot tougher given our draft position.

Herm and Carl's draft played the largest role in our 2010 season. And I'd hardly say it was 1 pick. Tyson Jackson was a huge fucking abomination. He drafted a nickle back in the 5th round of the 09 draft, just to turn around and do it again in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. He has not made good picks in the 2 years he's been at this, with the exception of the Eric Berry obvious home run pick. JMO. Half the guys from the 09 draft aren't even on the roster anymore. That's a pretty big oops.

And a big splash in free agency? When was the last time KC did that? Don't hold your breath.

Rasputin
02-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Herm and Carl's draft played the largest role in our 2010 season. And I'd hardly say it was 1 pick. Tyson Jackson was a huge ****ing abomination. He drafted a nickle back in the 5th round of the 09 draft, just to turn around and do it again in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. He has not made good picks in the 2 years he's been at this, with the exception of the Eric Berry obvious home run pick. JMO. Half the guys from the 09 draft aren't even on the roster anymore. That's a pretty big oops.

And a big splash in free agency? When was the last time KC did that? Don't hold your breath.

This is true that the Herms picks were a big part of our success & I'd like to give Pioli credit to keep those guys around to do this. He could have blown the whole thing up and got rid of those guys and replacing them, but he didn't and that shows value for the guys we had all ready drafted and growth of the team. This shows Pioli has integrity of the game. He may make poor draft decisions yet, he also wants to give the guys opportunity to prove themselfs that he drafts and development is the key word.

OnTheWarpath15
02-26-2011, 05:25 PM
This is true that the Herms picks were a big part of our success & I'd like to give Pioli credit to keep those guys around to do this. He could have blown the whole thing up and got rid of those guys and replacing them, but he didn't and that shows value for the guys we had all ready drafted and growth of the team. This shows Pioli has integrity of the game. He may make poor draft decisions yet, he also wants to give the guys opportunity to prove themselfs that he drafts and development is the key word.

Interesting comment considering half of Pioli's 2009 picks are no longer on the roster, and two of them were given such an "opportunity" that they were replaced the following year by 2nd and 3rd round picks.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2011, 05:54 PM
LMAO Welcome to kneejerk Planet...

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Herm and Carl's draft played the largest role in our 2010 season. And I'd hardly say it was 1 pick. Tyson Jackson was a huge ****ing abomination. He drafted a nickle back in the 5th round of the 09 draft, just to turn around and do it again in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. He has not made good picks in the 2 years he's been at this, with the exception of the Eric Berry obvious home run pick. JMO. Half the guys from the 09 draft aren't even on the roster anymore. That's a pretty big oops.

Well, being one of the lone Herm supporters way back when, you're not going to hear much argument from me. And I've never defended the 2009 draft -- I thought it was pathetic, but that was moreso due to a stupid decision to freeze out the scouts than it was a display of Pioli's ability to evaluate talent.

In 2010, the Chiefs were significantly better. They spent almost no money, and yet landed two solid Safeties (Berry being an obvious pick, but not really, given how many experts were shouting for Okung). They found a terrific starting Tight End and a Guard that should probably turn out to be a good player. He also made a smart decision to bring in some key stopgaps on the offensive line and Thomas Jones, to keep Charles fresh. And in 2 years, while I don't like the Offensive Coordinator decision, apart from that, the Chiefs have a solid coaching staff that is getting improvements out of players who notoriously underachieved.

As for whether the Chiefs spend money, look at Pioli's history in New England. His method has always been to build through the draft and then spend heavily when the team is close to being on the cusp.

If we're basing results only on 2010, the Chiefs are significantly better. Granted, he's chosen to sink or swim with Cassel, which I think is a horrible decision. But in terms of building a complete team, it's hard to deny that major strides are being made.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't think I even saw Mike Williams being picked in the 3rd round in "Are you smarter than a Pioli" thread. Just a bunch of gadgety Gilyards. No Benn, and only one Misi too. Cody was a popular pick, but it appears Troup may have been the way to go....although for the most part he was put behind both Terrence and Joseph around here. And I don't think Joseph was all too productive. Sean Lee? meh. Washington? ok you got me...

I can think of half of a dozen of us that were PISSED when Washington wasn't the pick. I mean, it is what it is. We're not employed by the KC Chiefs, but guys like Hootie who revel in shoving shit in people's faces over picks is left holding the turd sandwich this time around.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Well, being one of the lone Herm supporters way back when, you're not going to hear much argument from me. And I've never defended the 2009 draft -- I thought it was pathetic, but that was moreso due to a stupid decision to freeze out the scouts than it was a display of Pioli's ability to evaluate talent.

In 2010, the Chiefs were significantly better. They spent almost no money, and yet landed two solid Safeties (Berry being an obvious pick, but not really, given how many experts were shouting for Okung). They found a terrific starting Tight End and a Guard that should probably turn out to be a good player. He also made a smart decision to bring in some key stopgaps on the offensive line and Thomas Jones, to keep Charles fresh. And in 2 years, while I don't like the Offensive Coordinator decision, apart from that, the Chiefs have a solid coaching staff that is getting improvements out of players who notoriously underachieved.

As for whether the Chiefs spend money, look at Pioli's history in New England. His method has always been to build through the draft and then spend heavily when the team is close to being on the cusp.

If we're basing results only on 2010, the Chiefs are significantly better. Granted, he's chosen to sink or swim with Cassel, which I think is a horrible decision. But in terms of building a complete team, it's hard to deny that major strides are being made.

I'm not calling for the guy to be fired, but if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass pretty soon during draft time, the rest of the city will.

kcxiv
02-26-2011, 07:26 PM
over reacting to coachspeak. Haley loves to fuck with the Media. Good job Todd. The fanbase goes nuts and gives me great reading material with all the over reaction.

DBOSHO
02-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Dangit i cant believe our slot reciever didnt catch for 700 and 6 tds his rookie year.

salame
02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Dangit i cant believe our slot reciever didnt catch for 700 and 6 tds his rookie year.

he could have if the weren't so focused on giving Jamaal Charles more carries as a direct response to our little BB

02-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I can think of half of a dozen of us that were PISSED when Washington wasn't the pick. I mean, it is what it is. We're not employed by the KC Chiefs, but guys like Hootie who revel in shoving shit in people's faces over picks is left holding the turd sandwich this time around.

Sorry... You only get to have one player per pick. That's just how the draft works.

1. Jimmy Clausen
2a. Taylor Mays
2b. Golden Tate
3a. Jon Asomoah
3b. Jimmy Graham
5a. Cam Thomas
5b. Selvish Capers

BossChief
02-26-2011, 07:39 PM
You guys are slipping.

Its obvious to the more well informed group of us that this is to hand the slot receiver spot to that guy that came on strong as hell late in the year and dominated competition the last few weeks at the position.

Jon Asamoah

Some of you need to start watching the games if you are gonna keep posting here...

keg in kc
02-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Shocking that you're purposely missing the point to argue the poster, and not the post.

No one has said JC should get 25 carries a game.

I don't even think anyone has said that JC should get 25 touches per game.

But I think everyone would agree that he should be getting 19-20 touches per game, which means around 300-320 touches.

He was 2-3 touches a game away from that last year.

Now there's talk of taking 3rd down touches away from him.

Unless the plan is to completely ignore Two-Yard Thomas this year, JC's touches are going in the wrong direction.I think that last sentence may be the pertinent one. What if this isn't about taking carries away from Charles, but giving him Jones', and making McCluster the 10 touch guy.

-King-
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
JFC. And all of a sudden, everything some of us were bitching about when he was drafted just came to fruition. Bellicheck is what made New England what they were. It sure as fuck wasn't Scott Pioli. That much is becoming clearer, and clearer.

ROFL How? Because of a 2nd round pick didn't pan out? How about Eric Berry? How about Arenas? How about Moeaki? How about Lewis? How about our 10-6 record after having 10 wins the previous 3 years combined?

And it's not like Belichick is winning superbowl after superbowl with Pioli gone. The Patriots lost their first game of the playoffs both years.

-King-
02-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Herm and Carl's draft played the largest role in our 2010 season. And I'd hardly say it was 1 pick. Tyson Jackson was a huge fucking abomination. He drafted a nickle back in the 5th round of the 09 draft, just to turn around and do it again in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. He has not made good picks in the 2 years he's been at this, with the exception of the Eric Berry obvious home run pick. JMO. Half the guys from the 09 draft aren't even on the roster anymore. That's a pretty big oops.

Ted Thompson drafted TWO tackles in the 2009 draft only to turn around and draft another one in the first round of the 2010 draft. I guess he's not a good GM either.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Sorry... You only get to have one player per pick. That's just how the draft works.

Umm. Some of us were actually watching the draft and posting during it.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Ted Thompson drafted TWO tackles in the 2009 draft only to turn around and draft another one in the first round of the 2010 draft. I guess he's not a good GM either.

I don't give a fuck what Ted Thompson did. Jackson was a whiff. Then drafting McCluster to play RB after signing Jones and having the best RB in the league. That's fucking stupid. Are you going to deny that with all of the holes this team has, and had.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I hope I'm over reacting, but I'm just as pissed as I was when this pick was first made. Whatever.

-King-
02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't give a fuck what Ted Thompson did. Jackson was a whiff. Then drafting McCluster to play RB after signing Jones and having the best RB in the league. That's fucking stupid. Are you going to deny that with all of the holes this team has, and had.

Who knows if they drafted McCluster to play RB. FFS, we don't even KNOW that they're even switching him to RB this year. It says considering.

BossChief
02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I hated the pick when it happened even more than I hated the Turk McBride pick a few years ago, but once I learned a little more about the player and person.. he started to grow on me and I still think he can be a damn good player in this league. He definitely flashed that ability last year a number of times and I think the more the staff learns how to utilize his talents the more he will grow into his role as a playmaker in this offense.

I think some of you need to temper your distain for the player as I truly think he will become one of the better players on the roster in time.

That is of course, if he can stay healthy with his ity-bitty frame.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Who knows if they drafted McCluster to play RB. FFS, we don't even KNOW that they're even switching him to RB this year. It says considering.

Yeah, I reread it and saw that. So I hope I'm just over reacting and he'll continue to get reps in the slot and and get more looks than just bubble screens next year. Mother fucker is dynamic and has potential if given the chance to develop. I don't care if he takes carries as long as it's Jones carries. But I hope they haven't given up on him in the slot. It takes time.

-King-
02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
If we use him how we used in the 49ers game, I'll be fine. Most of his plays came from when he was lined up at RB.

BossChief
02-26-2011, 09:11 PM
We need to line DMC and Charles up in the same backfield and move them around to get advantageous matchups. The two times they did this in the playoff game, it worked...one was when Moeaki got wide open and gained some yards.

We need to do something to get matchups because we have a few weapons that IMO are being misutilized.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I hated the pick when it happened even more than I hated the Turk McBride pick a few years ago, but once I learned a little more about the player and person.. he started to grow on me and I still think he can be a damn good player in this league. He definitely flashed that ability last year a number of times and I think the more the staff learns how to utilize his talents the more he will grow into his role as a playmaker in this offense.

I think some of you need to temper your distain for the player as I truly think he will become one of the better players on the roster in time.

I don't remotely disdain the player. I disdain drafting a RB in the top of the 2nd round last year. If he plays a little RB while spending time in the slot, it's full of win. Particularly if he can return a couple of kicks every year. But the slot is key IMO.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 09:14 PM

P.S. I've made plenty of shitty picks and some good ones over the years. I'm not trying to make it out like I'm special.

Rain Man
02-26-2011, 09:16 PM
like most, I was surprised by the mccluster pick. what I saw last year on the field surprised me too. he runs tougher than his 110 pounds or whatever would indicate and can take big hits. I have yet to see a high top-end speed. more quickness than speed, which would indicate that his matchups are better against lbs than dbs. using him more as an rb would support that observation in terms of posotioning him to get the best matchups.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not calling for the guy to be fired, but if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass pretty soon during draft time, the rest of the city will.

No, you're not, but it's also the mentality that messing up one pick (if it's messed up at all) destroys an entire draft. The Chiefs drafted extremely well in 2010, even if McCluster turns out to be a bust.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 09:22 PM
No, you're not, but it's also the mentality that messing up one pick (if it's messed up at all) destroys an entire draft. The Chiefs drafted extremely well in 2010, even if McCluster turns out to be a bust.

Yet to be seen. But I will say this, I think Arenas is going to be a home run a couple of years. I also think Lewis is working out very well too. I think we will have the best secondary in the league in a couple of years, so I must say you're probably right. I'm good at talking out of my ass a little when I'm pissed.

Red Brooklyn
02-26-2011, 09:23 PM
McCluster's fine.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Yet to be seen. But I will say this, I think Arenas is going to be a home run a couple of years. I also think Lewis is working out very well too. I think we will have the best secondary in the league in a couple of years, so I must say you're probably right. I'm good at talking out of my ass a little when I'm pissed.

Haha. Right now, McCluster and Cameron are the two guys who might be shaky, and I don't think anybody's going to get too worked up if Cameron's a bust. But I agree that McCluster has been a lot more hype than he has been promise. I still think there's time to turn that around.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Haha. Right now, McCluster and Cameron are the two guys who might be shaky, and I don't think anybody's going to get too worked up if Cameron's a bust. But I agree that McCluster has been a lot more hype than he has been promise. I still think there's time to turn that around.

I'm not even worried about McCluster. As long as they give him a chance, I think he'll develop into a nice slot receiver. It's not his natural position. It will take him another year or two to develop.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2011, 09:32 PM
If Carr hadn't played so lights out last year, I think Arenas could've over taken him in the next couple of years. I think that highly of Arenas after watching him play and hearing of his work ethic. Unluckily for him, Carr obviously is going to work just as hard. Hence why I think we'll have the best secondary in the league sooner rather than later.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't think you understood my point. Think about it. If we hadn't drafted McCluster, Philadelphia would have drafted him. Then we would be stuck with another player entirely.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

Rain Man
02-26-2011, 10:36 PM
chiefzilla is a good voice of reason in this thread. I for one welcome our new chiefzilla overlord.

steelyeyed57
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
How many third down plays did Charles save our ass with last year? dumb

Hammock Parties
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
He's just spouting the same bullshit he spouted since the beginning, when it was clear McCluster was headed for an incredibly disappointing rookie season.

Chiefshrink
02-26-2011, 11:49 PM

THIS!!!:thumb:

The blocking will get better and McCluster will be more confident learning and playing the pro game:thumb:

Chiefshrink
02-26-2011, 11:52 PM
We need to line DMC and Charles up in the same backfield and move them around to get advantageous matchups. The two times they did this in the playoff game, it worked...one was when Moeaki got wide open and gained some yards.

We need to do something to get matchups because we have a few weapons that IMO are being misutilized.

F'n Aaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! That's what I saw!!:thumb:

Any way you might be able to be in Bill Muir's ear calling plays this next season?

milkman
02-27-2011, 07:33 AM

I think he showed that ability in college, but I didn't see it more than a handful of times last year.

His one big play on offense came when the defender misplayed the pass and left DMC wide open and alone to run unmolested to the EZ.

milkman
02-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Jamaal Charles should be the primary back in third down situations, regardless of down and distance.

He is the only real threat this team has to make big plays, and he was far better than almost everyone gives him credit for in short yardage situations.

Thomas Jones is done.

Jackie Battle has done exactly squat.

And Dexter McCluster hasn't shown jack.

chiefzilla1501
02-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I think he showed that ability in college, but I didn't see it more than a handful of times last year.

His one big play on offense came when the defender misplayed the pass and left DMC wide open and alone to run unmolested to the EZ.

Yes and no. As a RB, he's actually broken quite a few plays with big chunks of yardage. The problem is consistency--he also had quite a few negative plays that brought down the yardage. Actually, as a RB, he was very effective--I just don't trust his body to handle it.

As a receiver, there were flashes. He had a terrific game against Jacksonville including 2 or 3 passes that were impressive conversions for a first down. And you have to factor in that against Denver, he had a 50 yard play annulled for a BS penalty and in Tennessee had a long run annulled because they ruled his knee down (even though it wasn't). When I think about his promise, I think back to the Jacksonville game, which is why I still wonder if he would have been a completely different player if he didn't hurt his ankle.

okcchief
02-27-2011, 08:44 AM
If his use is third down back the pick is a bust. It also means we have to draft a number 2 and 3 receiver. Fucking great!

chiefzilla1501
02-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Jamaal Charles should be the primary back in third down situations, regardless of down and distance.

He is the only real threat this team has to make big plays, and he was far better than almost everyone gives him credit for in short yardage situations.

Thomas Jones is done.

Jackie Battle has done exactly squat.

And Dexter McCluster hasn't shown jack.

I think if you groom McCluster to be a better route runner, it makes a lot of sense to make him the third down back on third and long. I don't like Charles on third and short because he's good, but again, he broke in half the second half of the season without being the short yardage guy. What happens when he is? I don't trust Battle yet, which is why I wonder if you look at a guy like Leron McClain.

But on third and long, I would hope McCluster grows into that role for a few reasons. 1) In a 3rd and long situation, I'd want my running back to be a legit receiving threat. Charles is phenomenal as a checkdown guy, but he's not a route runner. 2) I view the RB in most 3rd and longs to be a longshot carry. If you're handing it off, 9 times out of 10 you're gonna be short of the chains. If you're passing it to him, it means your primary or secondary option wasn't open, so same deal there. So to me, in a lot of those situations, Charles is putting an extra toll on his body for carries/touches that are meaningless 90% of the time.

So I understand your point that in terms of what they've proven, Charles is the only guy right now who should be in on 3rd downs. But I could see why they'd want McCluster in that role based on his promise.

TRR
02-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes and no. As a RB, he's actually broken quite a few plays with big chunks of yardage. The problem is consistency--he also had quite a few negative plays that brought down the yardage. Actually, as a RB, he was very effective--I just don't trust his body to handle it.

As a receiver, there were flashes. He had a terrific game against Jacksonville including 2 or 3 passes that were impressive conversions for a first down. And you have to factor in that against Denver, he had a 50 yard play annulled for a BS penalty and in Tennessee had a long run annulled because they ruled his knee down (even though it wasn't). When I think about his promise, I think back to the Jacksonville game, which is why I still wonder if he would have been a completely different player if he didn't hurt his ankle.

Agreed. Dex had some big plays this year that people seem to forget. Unfortunately his injury nullified any progress he had been making.

I thought it was a mistake to throw so much at him this past offseason. He was learning RB, WR, and return duties. Focus him in on a couple of things and let him learn those spots.

His talent is undeniable. I think Dex will be a big piece for the KC offense in years to come....One way or another.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcaj22
02-27-2011, 08:54 AM
I dont care as long as they dont do any 3rd down draws or 3rd down dump passes to McGimmick when we are playing the Ravens so Ray Lewis doesnt smack the shit out of him again.

J Diddy
02-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I dont care as long as they dont do any 3rd down draws or 3rd down dump passes to McGimmick when we are playing the Ravens so Ray Lewis doesnt smack the shit out of him again.

This x3

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Charles needs more carries!

milkman
02-27-2011, 09:05 AM
I think if you groom McCluster to be a better route runner, it makes a lot of sense to make him the third down back on third and long. I don't like Charles on third and short because he's good, but again, he broke in half the second half of the season without being the short yardage guy. What happens when he is? I don't trust Battle yet, which is why I wonder if you look at a guy like Leron McClain.

But on third and long, I would hope McCluster grows into that role for a few reasons. 1) In a 3rd and long situation, I'd want my running back to be a legit receiving threat. Charles is phenomenal as a checkdown guy, but he's not a route runner. 2) I view the RB in most 3rd and longs to be a longshot carry. If you're handing it off, 9 times out of 10 you're gonna be short of the chains. If you're passing it to him, it means your primary or secondary option wasn't open, so same deal there. So to me, in a lot of those situations, Charles is putting an extra toll on his body for carries/touches that are meaningless 90% of the time.

So I understand your point that in terms of what they've proven, Charles is the only guy right now who should be in on 3rd downs. But I could see why they'd want McCluster in that role based on his promise.

Neither McCluster or Charles are route runners at this point.

If you can teach McCluster to be a route runner, you can also teach Charles, and Charles is every bit as elusive, and faster.

You are taking out your best weapon because you want to try to get something out of an otherwise wasted second round pick.

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 09:05 AM
you guys are pretty rough on Dex - I mean - It was his first FUCKING year, jesus, brutal!

Deberg_1990
02-27-2011, 09:09 AM
you guys are pretty rough on Dex - I mean - It was his first ****ING year, jesus, brutal!

I wouldnt expect anything less from this board. If it would have been around when Derrick Thomas played, im sure he would have gotten roasted every week.

Threads like:

'Why cant Derrick Thomas tackle?"

"Why does Derrick Thomas disappear at times?"

milkman
02-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I wouldnt expect anything less from this board. If it would have been around when Derrick Thomas played, im sure he would have gotten roasted every week.

Threads like:

'Why cant Derrick Thomas tackle?"

"Why does Derrick Thomas disappear at times?"

There's a hell of a lot of difference between disapearing at times, and making rare appearences.

DT would have had almost everyone excited about him moving forward, mush as Eric Berry, and Tony Moeaki do now.

He was a huge contributor, and an impact player.

McCluster only made cameo appearences.

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 09:19 AM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-CsVToxnNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
02-27-2011, 09:21 AM
There's a hell of a lot of difference between disapearing at times, and making rare appearences.

DT would have had almost everyone excited about him moving forward, mush as Eric Berry, and Tony Moeaki do now.

He was a huge contributor, and an impact player.

IM just saying this board digs under every crack and crevice to find something to complain about. Sometimes its legit, but most of the time its ridiculous and kneejerk.

Reading some of the comments in this thread, an outsider might think this team just went 2-14 again.

McCluster might turn out to be good, or he might not.....but im certainly not going to waste time worrying about it after a rookie year and whos knows how long before his 2nd season....

chiefzilla1501
02-27-2011, 09:22 AM

If you can teach McCluster to be a route runner, you can also teach Charles, and Charles is every bit as elusive, and faster.

You are taking out your best weapon because you want to try to get something out of an otherwise wasted second round pick.

I don't think McCluster is a bad route runner, though he's not a great one just yet. He's definitely a much more natural receiver than Charles is. Charles is a good dump-off guy, but he hasn't proven he can run any kind of routes in the tree.

I dont' see any reason why McCluster can't develop route running ability. He played most of his college career as a RB, came into OTAs late because of NCAA requirements, and was asked to play 2 positions while most rookies were being taught to play 1. The Chiefs need to commit to making him a slot guy, train him to do that all offseason, and we'll see if he makes strides. The fact that positions coaches were fighting over time with him is a horrible coaching decision that Haley and Weis should have never allowed to happen.

Chiefshrink
02-27-2011, 09:31 AM
IM just saying this board digs under every crack and crevice to find something to complain about. Sometimes its legit, but most of the time its ridiculous and kneejerk.

Reading some of the comments in this thread, an outsider might think this team just went 2-14 again.

McCluster might turn out to be good, or he might not.....but im certainly not going to waste time worrying about it after a rookie year and whos knows how long before his 2nd season....

This!:thumb::thumb:

milkman
02-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't think McCluster is a bad route runner, though he's not a great one just yet. He's definitely a much more natural receiver than Charles is. Charles is a good dump-off guy, but he hasn't proven he can run any kind of routes in the tree.

I dont' see any reason why McCluster can't develop route running ability. He played most of his college career as a RB, came into OTAs late because of NCAA requirements, and was asked to play 2 positions while most rookies were being taught to play 1. The Chiefs need to commit to making him a slot guy, train him to do that all offseason, and we'll see if he makes strides. The fact that positions coaches were fighting over time with him is a horrible coaching decision that Haley and Weis should have never allowed to happen.

The point is, if you can teach one to run better routes, you can teach both, and any plan that takes the one real weapon in this offense off the field on third downs is a bad plan.

If you want to get both on the field, that's okay, but if you your plan is to have Charles on the sideline in on third down, it's a bad plan.

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 09:38 AM
I never have claimed to know jack crap about the NFL. I know I need to learn a lot before i discuss too much on this board. But I think what is overlooked here, is he'll need some time to develop. He DOES have a certain clutch 'it' - factor and he also had in in miss. Once this little chump took over the 2nd half against UF and our lil' buddy T. Tebow.

At least (though there weren't many) there were flashes in the skillet maybe indicating his future caliber as a runner, once he's fully developed, perhaps he'll be really ****ing good.

I'm a fan still, I believe in this kid, seriously. He's got a great attitude -so- ...Shit just takes time for these kids, hell he was 16, just six yrs. ago.

MC's act like they don't know...

milkman
02-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I never have claimed to know jack crap about the NFL. I know I need to learn a lot before i discuss too much on this board. But I think what is overlooked here, is he'll need some time to develop. He DOES have a certain clutch 'it' - factor and he also had in in miss. Once this little chump took over the 2nd half against UF and our lil' buddy T. Tebow.

At least (though there weren't many) there were flashes in the skillet maybe indicating his future caliber, once he's fully developed, perhaps he'll be really ****ing good.

I'm a fan still, I believe in this kid, seriously. He's got a great attitude -so- ...Shit just takes time for these kids, hell he was 16, just six yrs. ago.

MC's act like they don't know...

I have nothing against McCluster, and have always acknowledged his big play potential.

My argument is simply that you don't take the guy who's proven he's a playmaker off the field in favor of a guy that has yet to prove he is.

And BTW, have I not in the past made it clear that I don't click on video responses like the one you posted in your previous post?

Rasputin
02-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Yes Charles is our best weapon, then Bowe & T Moeaki are good weapons too. Now I would love to see McCluster become another weapon utilized that we can use for success. We can't put all the pressure on JC for every down and distance, we need McCluster sinse we drafted him to be apart of the offense, so giving him the opportunity is not a waist. I like haveing the extra threat on the team that we can use. It was unfortunate that DM got hurt and hope that doesn't become a problem in the future. McCluster is capable to prove his worth to the team so any thing we get out of productively is a good thing. Not taking any thing away from JC but adding an extra threat in the backfield that TJ didn't deliver.

The only way McCluster is a wasted 2nd round pick is if we don't get any form of production out of him, and not playing him in a role is going to do just that. This is making an effort and taking chances as a coach to improve the team rather than just being one demensional with JC. There is a chance of this not working but there is also a chance that it does work and if it does work then greater is the reward, imo.

Okie_Apparition
02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
you guys are pretty rough on Dex - I mean - It was his first ****ING year, jesus, brutal!

Let his back be your soapbox.

As long as you are 6'1"+

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I have nothing against McCluster, and have always acknowledged his big play potential.

My argument is simply that you don't take the guy who's proven he's a playmaker off the field in favor of a guy that has yet to prove he is.

And BTW, have I not in the past made it clear that I don't click on video responses like the one you posted in your previous post?

my argument isn't really an argument at all, and it's certainly not really directed toward you, you just were one of the last posters who'd posted when I posted my post. But yeah, we'll see what this little bastard does this next season. I think he'll prove some posters wrong, and not you. but some of the others.

I think he'll eventually make the pro-bowl. I also think he'll win us some games 'almost' individually. As far as that cameo video, i posted it because that song used to be so popular, and NOW (in 2011) it just sounds ridiculous. That song was rockin' in the hallways, on Sony Walkmans at Hall McCarter Middle a lot, way back when.

chiefforlife
02-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Yep.

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Let his back be your soapbox.

As long as you are 6'1"+

hot! I wouldn't kick him outta bed for eatin shitlin's

Fish
02-27-2011, 10:05 AM
So we'll have a 3rd down back that's light enough to be arm tackled by any player on the defense, and just pray he outruns everybody?

Foolproof....

Okie_Apparition
02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
If McCluster fails. Claynus will go on to conquer worlds Roman Gods could not even dream of.

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
So we'll have a 3rd down back that's light enough to be arm tackled by any player on the defense, and just pray he outruns everybody?

Foolproof....

I thought about this too, regarding the OP.

I just can't help but think Todd see's or holds something that maybe we don't. The coaches have their reasons. Haley's nobodys fool, I think there's about 3 or 4 plays drawn up that are unconventional, maybe even unorthodox, buy yet; 'hi percentage.'

heck who knows?

Hootie
02-27-2011, 10:21 AM
No issues from me...I think mccluster should get 125-150 carries next year. I think charles should get about 300...and then I think everyone else should split about 20. Thomas jones should be cut. I like him...but we don't need him.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Hootie
02-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I think mccluster has potential...I think they should use him like the pats used woodhead last year

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

KCUnited
02-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Ah shit, from Welker to Woodhead. Maybe next year we can convert him to Frodo and we can destroy the Ring.

salame
02-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Ah shit, from Welker to Woodhead. Maybe next year we can convert him to Frodo and we can destroy the Ring.

lmao

milkman
02-27-2011, 10:41 AM

Seems to be a good as plan as any, since we can never seem to grasp the ring.

beach tribe
02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes Charles is our best weapon, then Bowe & T Moeaki are good weapons too. Now I would love to see McCluster become another weapon utilized that we can use for success. We can't put all the pressure on JC for every down and distance, we need McCluster sinse we drafted him to be apart of the offense, so giving him the opportunity is not a waist. I like haveing the extra threat on the team that we can use. It was unfortunate that DM got hurt and hope that doesn't become a problem in the future. McCluster is capable to prove his worth to the team so any thing we get out of productively is a good thing. Not taking any thing away from JC but adding an extra threat in the backfield that TJ didn't deliver.

The only way McCluster is a wasted 2nd round pick is if we don't get any form of production out of him, and not playing him in a role is going to do just that. This is making an effort and taking chances as a coach to improve the team rather than just being one demensional with JC. There is a chance of this not working but there is also a chance that it does work and if it does work then greater is the reward, imo.

I hope you were drunk when you posted this. If not, i'd say dropping out in 5th grade was a bad idea.:p

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 11:12 AM

he'll be better than the two white kids, pfft......he's black.

BossChief
02-27-2011, 11:14 AM
The high ankle sprain was a huge speedbump for a player with DMCs specific skill set

Simply Red
02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
The high ankle sprain was a huge speedbump for a player with DMCs specific skill set

buy a teeshirt brah!

Rasputin
02-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I hope you were drunk when you posted this. If not, i'd say dropping out in 5th grade was a bad idea.:p

:moon:

Hammock Parties
02-28-2011, 02:49 AM
No issues from me...I think mccluster should get 125-150 carries next year.

Bookmarking this.

If McCluster gets 150 carries he'll die.

Tribal Warfare
02-28-2011, 05:51 AM

any significant injury to his legs would fuck with him like a hamstring pull ect..

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Bookmarking this.

If McCluster gets 150 carries he'll die.Yep, and Mecca thought Hali would be an abortion at OLB.

Hammock Parties
02-28-2011, 09:44 AM
ROFL

How is that in any way related?

What McCluster did last year is the equivalent of Hali having a 2-sack season.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 09:47 AM
ROFL

How is that in any way related?

What McCluster did last year is the equivalent of Hali having a 2-sack season.Because Dex just finished his rookie season and you are convinced he'll never amount to anything.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I like to give rooks til their 3rd season before I hate on them.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Great, in one of the deepest and best draft classes in recent history, KC uses an early 2nd round pick on a 170 lb 3rd down back. Fail.

Hammock Parties
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Because Dex just finished his rookie season and you are convinced he'll never amount to anything.

His arrow is pointing down after shit like this.

I mean shit, wouldn't it be nice if the head coach could express some confidence in a player growing into the position he was supposedly drafted to play?

Instead we get this third down back garbage.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 10:13 AM

I mean shit, wouldn't it be nice if the head coach could express some confidence in a player growing into the position he was supposedly drafted to play?

Instead we get this third down back garbage.Untwist your panties. I refuse to have a conniption until I see how it works out.

salame
02-28-2011, 10:20 AM
where did this third season stuff come from?
Boldin played 23 games at wide receiver EVER and his rookie stats were disgusting. With JEFF BLAKE throwing him the ball.
101/1377/8td

ModSocks
02-28-2011, 10:31 AM
With only reading the OP, ima go ahead and assume this turned into a big cry baby, "OMG, we wasted another 2nd rnd pick, Pioli cant draft blah blah blah" thread right?

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
With only reading the OP, ima go ahead and assume this turned into a big cry baby, "OMG, we wasted another 2nd rnd pick, Pioli cant draft blah blah blah" thread right?Spot on, dude. Welcome to Kneejerk Planet.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 10:33 AM
where did this third season stuff come from?
Boldin played 23 games at wide receiver EVER and his rookie stats were disgusting. With JEFF BLAKE throwing him the ball.
101/1377/8tdWtf are you talking about?

salame
02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I like to give rooks til their 3rd season before I hate on them.

that's where it came from

Hammock Parties
02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Untwist your panties. I refuse to have a conniption until I see how it works out.

Third down backs are a dime a dozen.

If that's all this midget is, Pioli wasted a goddamn pick.

Whee!

Rasputin
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Whee!

For his second year he can fill this roll and then build off of that in future years. If this becomes successful for the team then a wasted pick NOT. I'm hopeful that it works out too. McCluster had success in college at RB can't take that away from his upside for RB or his roll on this team.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 12:29 PM
that's where it came fromI suppose you're a fucking football genious and can spot a blue chipper coming out a Pee Wee.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Whee!Enjoy your conniption. I'm in a wait and see mode.

suds79
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
For his second year he can fill this roll and then build off of that in future years. If this becomes successful for the team then a wasted pick NOT. I'm hopeful that it works out too. McCluster had success in college at RB can't take that away from his upside for RB or his roll on this team.

Sure you could say it's not a wasted pick if he becomes successful for the team in that role.

Problem is that it's just bad value for where you drafted him. No doubt about that. RB is a position that can easily be found in mid to late rounds. Furthermore, every year there are several, several small quick backs coming out who go late and could fill that same 3rd down back role.

Suppose best we can hope for now is that he makes some plays to make the best of a situation. But overall it's not looking like a good value pick.

Hammock Parties
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
McCluster had success in college at RB can't take that away from his upside for RB.

HE IS NOT AN NFL RUNNING BACK.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Its obvious clay knows everything about football. May as well shut the Planet down.

Rasputin
02-28-2011, 06:04 PM
HE IS NOT AN NFL RUNNING BACK.

I DON"T GIVE A SH!T!!!

That you don't think he is a NFL RUNNING BACK. I think he will do just fine and he will only get better imo. I think he is going to have a good year and improve. Glad you haters are gonna hate. I'm gonna enjoy the success that he will help bring and that's on hope & faith in the little dude. Football is an evolving sport & they can change there aproach at any time by using him more or less. If he does his job and gets better then they can add to his roll. I'm not going to change your opinion & mine wont change untill proven during season one way or the other. We can get value out of that pick by getting first downs that lead to touchdowns that lead to Ws, that's value.

milkman
02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Enjoy your conniption. I'm in a wait and see mode.

The only thing worse than bitching about the moves a team makes is bitching about the bitching.

Don't like it?

Too fucking bad.

Reerun_KC
02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
The only thing worse than bitching about the moves a team makes is bitching about the bitching.

Don't like it?

Too ****ing bad.

Exactly... Unless youre getting off the internet and get your ass to Arrowhead for all the pre draft meetings and actually participating in the draft, then your bitching about the draft picks means absolutely squat...

If you dont like it, do something about it and if you cant do anything about it... STFU Whining here about like Claywhit does is pretty pointless and useless..

milkman
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Exactly... Unless youre getting off the internet and get your ass to Arrowhead for all the pre draft meetings and actually participating in the draft, then your bitching about the draft picks means absolutely squat...

If you dont like it, do something about it and if you cant do anything about it... STFU Whining here about like Claywhit does is pretty pointless and useless..

Reading fail.

Reerun_KC
02-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Reading fail.

quote fail....

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Instead we get this third down back garbage.

Oh, you mean the way that Haley pretty much benched DJ for a full season and the entire preseason? The way he demoted Bowe almost all of last season?

I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to see the context behind the quote Gretz is talking about. I'm not convinced that Haley isn't talking about using McCluster on 3rd downs in addition to some role on 1st and 2nd downs in the slot.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Don't like it?

Too fucking bad.Who's bitching? I'm commenting. I see no reason to get ones panties in a bunch over something that has not occurred.

el borracho
02-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Well isn't that just smurfy?