PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Teicher: Former MU star Smith has gift for rushing passers

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Former MU star Smith has gift for rushing passers (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/26/2684908/former-mu-star-smith-has-gift.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

INDIANAPOLIS | Shortly after his first football game at Raytown High School, Aldon Smith realized he had a gift for football few others have.

More correctly, he was made to realize it.

“I think it was after my first sack,” Smith said. “My coach just kind of yelled at me and let me know everything. He pulled me aside after my first game and told me I had a little special ability.

“To some people it’s natural and to some it takes learning.”

Smith’s ability, which comes naturally to him, is to rush the quarterback, which is making him a popular player at the NFL scouting combine. Twenty-eight of the 32 NFL teams have either interviewed Smith or arranged to do so. The other four passed probably because he will be out of their range, which should be the early to middle part of the first round in the draft.

It all started at Raytown, where he played for two seasons. It continued at Missouri, where he set a school record for sacks with 11 1/2 as a redshirt freshman in 2009.

“Aldon, he’s a freak,” said quarterback Blaine Gabbert, his Missouri teammate and a probable first-round draft pick himself. “I’ve known Aldon since high school. I’ve seen the transition he’s made coming from a 220-pound end out of Kansas City and now he’s close to 270 pounds. And just seeing him play on the football field is pretty special. The things he can do for how big he is, it’s pretty crazy to watch.”

Smith had only the one big season at Missouri. He missed three games and was otherwise limited in many of those he did play in last season because of a broken bone in his leg.

Still, Smith is drawing comparisons to great NFL pass rushers such as former Tennessee Titan Jevon Kearse, who had 36 sacks in his first three seasons; Dallas’ DeMarcus Ware, who has 80 sacks in his six NFL seasons; and the Jets’ Jason Taylor, eighth on the NFL’s all-time sack list.

“He’s about as raw a prospect as you’re going to find,” said Shawn Zobel, who runs a draft website at www.draftheadquarters.com. “He isn’t even close to reaching his potential. Once he does that, I could see him being as good as Jevon Kearse was early in his career.”

There are risks to Smith. He’s seen as a one-dimensional player. He played just two seasons at Missouri and was injured for a large part of one.

“I’ve gone back and forth on him a little bit because he’s not great versus the run,” ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said. “He’s a very difficult player to evaluate. Part of it is because of the durability (question). I went back and watched tape of the 2009 season and he’s clearly going more often at 100 miles per hour versus this past year.

“The bottom line is that he can get after the quarterback. He has a lot of room for improvement. He has to get stronger. He has to play with better leverage. He has to do a better job of playing against the run. But when you can get after the quarterback the way he does, NFL teams love that. It’s one of the most important things in the game, getting pressure on the quarterbacks, and he really can do it.”

NFL teams have to decide whether Smith, who weighed 264 pounds at the combine, is better as a defensive end in the 4-3 system or as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 such as the Chiefs use.

If Smith works out well at the combine and at Missouri’s pro day next month and proves he has the ability to play some in pass coverage, he will make himself more attractive to NFL teams.

“I just need to be myself and just show my athleticism,” Smith said. “Everybody’s talented in different ways and I think the thing that separates me is me being athletic.”

Smith also needs to show he’s recovered from the injury that caused him to miss games last season and play at something less than full speed in others.

“The leg’s fine,” he said. “I got some X-rays (Saturday), actually. This is the first time I’ve seen my leg since I was back in school. It looked good to me and to the doctor.”

Some NFL team will make the final determination on Smith and his football ability. If he is drafted in the top 10, it will probably be with the hope his pass-rush ability gets him through the early part of his career with the rest of his game developing later.

“The toughest, the consistency, that’s going to be an issue,” said McShay, who sees Smith as a defensive end. “I don’t know that he’s a perfect fit playing defensive end every single down right away. But I think he can become an impact player as a defensive end and outside pass rusher in the league if he pulls it all together.”

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 02:39 AM
I just want to see this guy blast fools in a Chiefs uniform.

CrazyPhuD
02-27-2011, 03:07 AM
LOL he's Vernon Gholston jr but having proven less on the football field....

bowener
02-27-2011, 03:20 AM

Yeah, you are so totally right! Look at Smith, his body can't hold anymore muscle... dude is totally maxed out. He moves like a robot just like Gholston too. So rigid and stiff.

CoMoChief
02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
hope Aldon does well in the pros. Super nice guy...Met him on numerous occasions.

in fact, martin rucker and aldon smith are about as nice and down to earth as you're going to get in a high profile student athlete.

Unless you're name is Tebow and you're healing people's souls all across the globe. Not many people can do that...

Hammock Parties
01-28-2012, 01:52 PM
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34605402

San Francisco rookie linebacker Aldon Smith has been arrested and charged with DUI, according to KTVU.com out of Oakland.

According to police records, Smith was booked into jail at 9:32 a.m. ET Saturday after police stopped his car in Miami Beach.

The bond amount was listed at $1,000.

Smith had a fantastic first season for the 49ers, recording 14 sacks and four passes defended while helping the San Francisco defense lead the team to the NFC title game. Along with Broncos linebacker Von Miller, Smith is a contender to win the NFL rookie defensive player of the year award.

Saul Good
01-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Yeah, you are so totally right! Look at Smith, his body can't hold anymore muscle... dude is totally maxed out. He moves like a robot just like Gholston too. So rigid and stiff.

Good call, guys.

Demonpenz
01-28-2012, 02:07 PM
I LEARNED IT BY WATCHING YOU /pinkle commercial

Valiant
01-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Good call, guys.

Ummm, I think the second one is sarcasm..

SuperChief
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Also, a passion for malt liquor.

O.city
01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Never understand why a professional athlete gets a DUI. Just call a cab, you can afford it.

Epic Fail 007
01-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes but he just got arrested in Miami for a DUI

SAUTO
01-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Lol pulled a pinkel
Posted via Mobile Device

Caseyguyrr
01-28-2012, 05:46 PM
ya, hes a freak

Bump
01-28-2012, 07:30 PM
49ers' Aldon Smith charged with DUI

Email
Print
Comments2081

Associated Press

MIAMI -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith was charged Saturday with driving under the influence in Miami Beach.

Sando: What Now For Aldon Smith?

Aldon Smith's arrest lends credence to pre-draft concerns about his readiness for NFL life, writes Mike Sando. Blog

Miami-Dade County jail records show Smith was booked Saturday morning and held on $1,000 bond. Jail records did not show whether Smith was represented by an attorney.

A Miami-Dade County Corrections spokeswoman said Smith was arrested by Miami Beach police. A police spokesman said he had no information immediately available about the arrest.

Smith was drafted as the seventh overall draft pick in 2011. During his first season, he had 14 sacks, a franchise record for a rookie linebacker. He also ranked first in the NFL in sacks among rookies.

The 49ers said in a statement Saturday that they were aware of the arrest.

"We take these issues very seriously, but will reserve further comment at this time, as this is an ongoing legal matter," the team said. "The 49ers will continue to gather the facts and monitor the developments closely."

Bump
01-28-2012, 07:30 PM
typical Mizzou scum

Trevo_410
01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
typical Mizzou scum

If you gave me the school you're a fan for, I'd happily give you a list of arrest. If you're a kansas fan, lol at your lame attempt.:rolleyes:"clean program". Aqib Talib.

Bump
01-28-2012, 09:18 PM
If you gave me the school you're a fan for, I'd happily give you a list of arrest. If you're a kansas fan, lol at your lame attempt.:rolleyes:"clean program". Aqib Talib.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/5j9AZ.gif