PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Looking to buy a smoker

Shaid
02-27-2011, 06:38 PM
First off, I've never smoked before but it's something I've always wanted to do. I live in ND and don't really know many people that do smoke up here. I'm just looking for something to start out with. Any suggestions?

WV
02-27-2011, 06:40 PM
I have a Brinkman's Smoke and Grill and it's done well by me.....I'm no expert though.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/99/53/30/0003995330018_500X500.jpg
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-Smoke-N-Grill-Charcoal-Smoker/876295?sourceid=1500000000000003260350&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=876295

Chiefaholic
02-27-2011, 06:46 PM
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/789792/789792050508lg.jpg

I purchased one of these with the optional firebox last spring and couldn't be happier with it.

Gonzo
02-27-2011, 06:55 PM
I have 2 different styles.
The old stand-by is a traditional barrel style charcoal smoker with a fire box. This smoker is high maintenance and is great in the warmer months. Cost: 250 bucks
The other is my Brand New Bradley electric smoker. Low maintenance, auto feeds wood discs and keeps the temp where I need it even when it's 10 degrees out. I love that damn thing but I probably won't use it much in the summer because there's just something about sitting outside, listening to a baseball game or two, drinking beer and smoking ribs in an old school smoker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shaid
02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a Brinkman's Smoke and Grill and it's done well by me.....I'm no expert though.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/99/53/30/0003995330018_500X500.jpg
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-Smoke-N-Grill-Charcoal-Smoker/876295?sourceid=1500000000000003260350&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=876295

How often do you have to add charcoal/wood chips, etc.?

Shaid
02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
The old stand-by is a traditional barrel style charcoal smoker with a fire box. This smoker is high maintenance and is great in the warmer months. Cost: 250 bucks
The other is my Brand New Bradley electric smoker. Low maintenance, auto feeds wood discs and keeps the temp where I need it even when it's 10 degrees out. I love that damn thing but I probably won't use it much in the summer because there's just something about sitting outside, listening to a baseball game or two, drinking beer and smoking ribs in an old school smoker.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've seen those auto-feeder ones which is interesting to me. I've really thought about going electric but I don't know if I want to go with the whole auto-feed thing.

BigRedChief
02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm on my 2nd Electric smoker.

Do a search on here. This has been discussed before. Lots of good advise in the threads.

Toadkiller
02-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

mlyonsd
02-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Do a search on here. This has been discussed before. Lots of good advise in the threads.

I have two electric bullet type smokers. It depends on how serious you want to get and how much space you have for one in your garage/shop/whatever.

I love my electric smoker and agree with BRC. Search for 'smoker'.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
You can have my god damn wife for free!

WV
02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
How often do you have to add charcoal/wood chips, etc.?

Depends on your charcoal, wood chips, wood chunks, or all wood, but typically every couple of hours. With chips being the most frequently replaced item. I have found that I like chunks of wood better, but it's a personal preference IMO.

doomy3
02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain.

This is what I have, and I love it.

Red Dawg
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm a smoker, but you dont' have to buy me. Just pour some JD and i'll come to your house and smoke for free.

LocoChiefsFan
02-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a Traeger. I love my Traeger. Its dummy proof, and turns out some damn good smoked meats.

Dolphinduck
02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain.

This! Its dependable and you can cook all night with it...Do not buy a cheap offset unless you want to do a lot of mods to it.

threebag
02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
$40 will get your meat smoked on north broadway.

REDHOTGTO
02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
tragear smokers are awesome, i use my neighbors all the time, as he said "dummy proof"

Great Expectations
02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I've got a big green egg, it is also dummy proof and doubles as the best grill you can own.

WV
02-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I've got a big green egg, it is also dummy proof and doubles as the best grill you can own.

He may need a small loan for one of those! :eek:

HonestChieffan
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain.

Thread needed to end here.

Renegade
02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/789792/789792050508lg.jpg

I purchased one of these with the optional firebox last spring and couldn't be happier with it.

I love this model, and have smoked my share of ribs this season on it. I have no trouble holding temp at 200-225 on it. I got the cover for it, and it rotted through in one season however. The one thing is the smoker does not get a perfect seal, but it is still great.

chiefzilla1501
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Try out the Jeff Smoker.

Shaid
02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Looks like the Weber Smokey Mountain is well liked. It's a little more pricey than I was hoping for starting out but I guess you get what you pay for.

Phobia
02-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Looks like the Weber Smokey Mountain is well liked. It's a little more pricey than I was hoping for starting out but I guess you get what you pay for.

Spend $75 on a tiny Brinkmann from wally mart to see if you even enjoy smoking. If you hate it, you saved money. If you like it, sell the little one to somebody who is starting out and get yourself the Smokey Mountain. Or just watch Craigslist for a used smokey.

chris
04-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Which model do you have?

How much meat will it hold. i.e. number of slabs and briskets?

thanks

chris
04-16-2011, 07:15 PM

Which model do you have?

If you were buying again; what would you buy?

thanks

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-17-2011, 05:54 AM
My wifes a smoker.
You can have the bitch.

damaticous
04-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Weber Smokey Mountain.

Got two of them. Couldn't be happier. TONS better than my off set firebox smoker. Lots easier and produces better foods.

BigRedChief
04-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Which model do you have?

If you were buying again; what would you buy?

thanksBoth are great. Comes down to price. One is $300, one is $500.

RJ
04-17-2011, 09:04 AM

I'm about to fire mine up now. Did you ever buy yourself something? The 18" isn't quite as pricey as the 22". You can cook for a decent sized crew with the 18".

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2016, 11:02 AM
I may be in the market for a traditional smoker, one that would take full pieces of wood, not chunks. Any suggestions? Is the WSM capable of such?

Grim
02-19-2016, 11:20 AM
I may be in the market for a traditional smoker, one that would take full pieces of wood, not chunks. Any suggestions? Is the WSM capable of such?

I'm in the process of selecting my next smoker.
Wanted to get one of "The Good One's" "Marshall" models but I keep hearing about how Humphrey's are even better.

http://humphreysbbq.myshopify.com/

Either one of those is going to set you back $2k+ but they're awesome.

EDIT: Humphrey's has smaller models for much less..... I want one big enough for competitions.

Great Expectations
02-19-2016, 11:22 AM
FMB, as much as you like to create excellent food a Big Green Egg would be worth the extra expense. A BGE and sous vide paired together are an outstanding team.

DJ's left nut
02-19-2016, 11:30 AM

Nope, probably not.

I mean I guess it depends on your separation between chunks and full pieces. I've thrown pieces in my fireplace that would fit in the WSM, but frankly I'm not sure why you would.

If you're doing a 'full wood' smoke where you're not just using charcoal for the heat and wood for the flavor, I think an offset is definitely the way to go. As for which one - in the end, you get what you pay for with these guys. There's just no way to make them good and make them cheap. Thermal mass is what it is - to make a good one takes thick metal which costs a lot to procure and work with. If you're spending less than $800 on one, you're not getting one that's worth the headache, IMO and you should just stick with the WSM.

Any way I can talk you into getting a plasma torch, learning to weld and then building one of these sumbitches and telling me how it goes?

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-4-the-pits/

I'm doing this someday. Oh yes, I will be doing this someday.

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2016, 11:38 AM
I'm in the process of selecting my next smoker.
Wanted to get one of "The Good One's" "Marshall" models but I keep hearing about how Humphrey's are even better.

http://humphreysbbq.myshopify.com/

Either one of those is going to set you back $2k+ but they're awesome.

EDIT: Humphrey's has smaller models for much less..... I want one big enough for competitions.

Definitely not spending that much.

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2016, 11:39 AM
FMB, as much as you like to create excellent food a Big Green Egg would be worth the extra expense. A BGE and sous vide paired together are an outstanding team.

I've really been looking at that too, along with Kamado Joe.

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Nope, probably not.

I mean I guess it depends on your separation between chunks and full pieces. I've thrown pieces in my fireplace that would fit in the WSM, but frankly I'm not sure why you would.

If you're doing a 'full wood' smoke where you're not just using charcoal for the heat and wood for the flavor, I think an offset is definitely the way to go. As for which one - in the end, you get what you pay for with these guys. There's just no way to make them good and make them cheap. Thermal mass is what it is - to make a good one takes thick metal which costs a lot to procure and work with. If you're spending less than $800 on one, you're not getting one that's worth the headache, IMO and you should just stick with the WSM.

Any way I can talk you into getting a plasma torch, learning to weld and then building one of these sumbitches and telling me how it goes?

LOL

No.

Great Expectations
02-19-2016, 11:58 AM
I've really been looking at that too, along with Kamado Joe.

The Kamado Joe is fine; my father-in-law has one. He was working at Home Depot we he purchased it so I think he received a discount. He has hinted around that he wished he would have spent the extra 10% for the BGE. For grilling there isn't much difference, but the set up of the BGE is better for smoking.

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2016, 12:15 PM
The Kamado Joe is fine; my father-in-law has one. He was working at Home Depot we he purchased it so I think he received a discount. He has hinted around that he wished he would have spent the extra 10% for the BGE. For grilling there isn't much difference, but the set up of the BGE is better for smoking.

Hmmm... Some of the reviews I've seen don't agree.

KCUnited
02-19-2016, 12:21 PM
I love my BGE, but I wouldn't use full pieces of wood as my primary heat source in it.

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2016, 12:44 PM
I love my BGE, but I wouldn't use full pieces of wood as my primary heat source in it.

Yeah, I understand I wouldn't be able to do that with an egg.

gblowfish
02-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Buy the mid sized Weber GSM. I've had one for a couple years. If you do any modifications, just make sure to put a good quality thermometer in the lid, or get a digital meat thermometer to keep an eye on temp. Mine holds temp pretty well and is very easy to clean up afterwards. Might fire mine up on Sunday if the weather stays good.

Meatloaf
02-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I understand I wouldn't be able to do that with an egg.

FMB, if you're looking into a ceramic smoker, you might want to take a look at the Primo smokers. They're oval (instead of round) in shape and that's a really handy feature as you put the charcoal in half the fire box, so that provides direct heat (right over the coals if you don't use a deflector, but indirect heat over the side of the firebox without the charcoal. Very handy as you can sear directly over the coals then move to the other side of the oval for indirect roasting.

PS. Whatever you get, get the XL size; trust me, you'll wish you had if you get anything smaller.

Dave Lane
02-19-2016, 01:39 PM
You can have my god damn wife for free!

http://www.knowleskreative.com/files/3814/1288/4568/lipstick-pig-illustration.jpg

Fansy the Famous Bard
02-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Don't buy it.... Build it.

http://howtobbqright.com/udssmoker.html

Buehler445
02-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Nope, probably not.

If you have a plasma cutter that big cool. But if you're buying one, don't. One big enough to do that will be in the ballpark of a billion dollars. Use acetylene and a Grinder to clean it up.

DJ's left nut
02-19-2016, 02:27 PM
If you have a plasma cutter that big cool. But if you're buying one, don't. One big enough to do that will be in the ballpark of a billion dollars. Use acetylene and a Grinder to clean it up.

I would almost certainly set myself, my home and quite possibly my entire subdivision on fire if I ever messed with a plasma cutter.

My patience is somewhere along the order of "hits my tablesaw with a mallet" and "once threw a printer out of a 5th story window". Only once have I shown a modicum of restraint and it was when I was messing with the suspension on the '67. A spring tensioner came loose and shot the fucking spring into my hand as I was trying to load it back into the cup on the lower control arm. As I cocked the hammer back to strike a 50 yr old muscle car, I realized I might have a problem. I caught myself and needless to say, I was done working on the car that day.

A man's gotta know his limitations.

Buehler445
02-19-2016, 03:02 PM
I would almost certainly set myself, my home and quite possibly my entire subdivision on fire if I ever messed with a plasma cutter.

My patience is somewhere along the order of "hits my tablesaw with a mallet" and "once threw a printer out of a 5th story window". Only once have I shown a modicum of restraint and it was when I was messing with the suspension on the '67. A spring tensioner came loose and shot the fucking spring into my hand as I was trying to load it back into the cup on the lower control arm. As I cocked the hammer back to strike a 50 yr old muscle car, I realized I might have a problem. I caught myself and needless to say, I was done working on the car that day.

A man's gotta know his limitations.

LOL

Acetylene is what will burn shit down. Plasma cutters operate pretty cool. They're way better but to get one with enough power to cut thick metals you're going to mortgage a child.

BigRedChief
02-19-2016, 03:45 PM
First off, I've never smoked before but it's something I've always wanted to do. I live in ND and don't really know many people that do smoke up here. I'm just looking for something to start out with. Any suggestions?What did you end up with, a cheater or a full wood burning smoker?

tyton75
02-19-2016, 04:48 PM
I've had a Brinkman offset and a Webber Smokey Mountain... The Smokey Mountain is the way to go!

MatriculatingHank
02-19-2016, 10:14 PM
The Smokey Mountain is the way to go!

Thread over.. listen to the man

LoneWolf
02-20-2016, 06:12 AM
I've had a Brinkman offset and a Webber Smokey Mountain... The Smokey Mountain is the way to go!

Brinkman vs. Weber is an easy decision. Brinkman offsets are fucking junk made out of thin steel and they can't hold temperature at all. If you buy a quality offset smoker, for example I own an offset smoker from Yoder Smokers, the choice is much more difficult.

KChiefs1
07-05-2017, 05:42 PM
I have a Traeger. I love my Traeger. Its dummy proof, and turns out some damn good smoked meats.

Love mine too!

KChiefs1
07-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Love mine too!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170705/b0bfb78aeabe8686c2d163d062297581.jpg

notorious
07-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Louisiana Grill was OK, but our Traeger is retard-proof. Never have to worry about fires or the temp running up to 700+ like the Louisiana.

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 10:22 AM
The old OK Joe Highland seems to have decided it wanted a new home and wandered off in the middle of the night.

Time for a new smoker. I probably will go for another stick burner.

allen_kcCard
07-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Liking my WSM 22" that I got a bit before fathers day.

tatorhog
07-12-2019, 12:04 PM
I got a Masterbuilt 40" last year. its electric and pretty easy to use. I have no complaints with it. It seals up well and the temp holds pretty true. For me, being simple and consistent are what I wanted, and that's what it is.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2019, 12:14 PM
I live in a townhouse, so no can do on a real smoker. Anyone have good experience with a cabinet smoker? Looking for a real small one as I only need to cook max of 2 slabs of anything at a time

Sorce
07-12-2019, 12:34 PM
I live in a townhouse, so no can do on a real smoker. Anyone have good experience with a cabinet smoker? Looking for a real small one as I only need to cook max of 2 slabs of anything at a time

I've owned both a Bradley and Masterbuilt. The masterbuilt requires more attention to change chips, the bradley uss pucks and you basically load it up and forget it. They also make cabinet pellet smokers but I'm not familiar with brands on those.

Sorce
07-12-2019, 12:35 PM
The old OK Joe Highland seems to have decided it wanted a new home and wandered off in the middle of the night.

Time for a new smoker. I probably will go for another stick burner.

No experience with stick burners, sorry.

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Liking my WSM 22" that I got a bit before fathers day.

I've looked at them and everyone that I know that has one likes it. I don't know if it is quite for me, but it falls in that under $500 category so it's in the mix.

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 12:48 PM
I got a Masterbuilt 40" last year. its electric and pretty easy to use. I have no complaints with it. It seals up well and the temp holds pretty true. For me, being simple and consistent are what I wanted, and that's what it is.

I already have an electric smoker. Never use the thing.

This morning when I looked in the back yard and saw the offset missing my first thought was not a pleasant one as I saw the electric smoker sitting in it's nice little corner. ROFL

MatriculatingHank
07-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Get the 22" WSM. Don't give it any more thought. Trust me (and thousands of others who have one)

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Get the 22" WSM. Don't give it any more thought. Trust me (and thousands of others who have one)

Is the WSM made only for charcoal? Do you prefer minion or snake method with the WSM?

Fire Me Boy!
07-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Get a RecTec.

Monty
07-12-2019, 01:30 PM
https://www.yodersmokers.com/kingman.html

This is the smoker that I have. It's by far the best smoker that I've ever used, but I picked this up at an auction, so didn't pay MSRP for it either. The Yoder smokers as a whole are amazing, especially the new competition smokers.

srvy
07-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Is the WSM made only for charcoal? Do you prefer minion or snake method with the WSM?

If your a bargain shopper and can get by with your electric then summer closeouts are just around corner. Lowes and HD along with Walmart and Target will run great closeouts. I got a second WSM 22" for 110.00 and if Id waited 2 weeks I could have had for 79.00 at Target. I also picked up a OK Joes Highland stick offset for 125.00 at Lowes when the closed out the old inventory when Charbroil bought them. I later converted it to a reverse offset and a few other mod's and sold it for 350.00.

Just check brickseek they will drop they always do.

DJ's left nut
07-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Minion.

Snake method's tougher (nearly impossible) to pull off as far as I can tell for a long cook on the WSM. There's just not enough surface area.

Unless you have a different understanding of it than I do.

srvy
07-12-2019, 01:50 PM
I use the minion method it works so never needed to experiment with the snake. I have read up on it just didnt peek my interest enough to change.

srvy
07-12-2019, 01:54 PM
These upright pellet smokers have piqued my interest they all seem to be making them now. I will be looking a walmart closeouts for the Pitboss I have seen there. How low will it go:)

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Get a RecTec.

I like the look of their wok burner. That looks right up my alley. Their smokers have much more automation than what I am looking for. Too bad they don't have something a little more old school.

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 02:15 PM
https://www.yodersmokers.com/kingman.html

This is the smoker that I have. It's by far the best smoker that I've ever used, but I picked this up at an auction, so didn't pay MSRP for it either. The Yoder smokers as a whole are amazing, especially the new competition smokers.

I was at ATBBQ a few weeks ago. Those competition carts are amazing. With an amazing price tag. Always wanted a Yoder Wichita but could never convince myself to pay for one. I do well enough on things 1/3rd of the price and just can't pull the trigger. You know how much meat I could smoke for the extra $1000-1500 I would spend on a Yoder with a mid range, make some mod's cardboard boxed cooker. Ribs for days.

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 02:16 PM
If your a bargain shopper and can get by with your electric then summer closeouts are just around corner. Lowes and HD along with Walmart and Target will run great closeouts. I got a second WSM 22" for 110.00 and if Id waited 2 weeks I could have had for 79.00 at Target. I also picked up a OK Joes Highland stick offset for 125.00 at Lowes when the closed out the old inventory when Charbroil bought them. I later converted it to a reverse offset and a few other mod's and sold it for 350.00.

Just check brickseek they will drop they always do.

You should have bought every WSM 22 just to resale. Those retail about 400.

Sorce
07-12-2019, 02:19 PM
These upright pellet smokers have piqued my interest they all seem to be making them now. I will be looking a walmart closeouts for the Pitboss I have seen there. How low will it go:)

Depends on temp, 225 ish I've seen about 1/2 lb an hour.

Dayze
07-12-2019, 02:21 PM
I'm planning on buying a WSM by fall. just bought a weber 3 burner gas grill a 2 weeks ago. love weber products.

I've waffled on the 19" or 22" WSM but I think I'll just go with the 22".

220. 221. whatever it takes.

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Minion.

Snake method's tougher (nearly impossible) to pull off as far as I can tell for a long cook on the WSM. There's just not enough surface area.

Unless you have a different understanding of it than I do.

Minion seems like is should be the better way. Probably almost a set it and forget it once you get it down, I bet.

Being just a charcoal burner is what holds me back on the WSM though. Space is not an issue and I do like an offset for the ability to have stick burn or a charcoal basket. As well as being able to have different heat zones in the pit.

Abba-Dabba
07-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Looking at the vertical smokers has me piqued as well. Some of them look like they are made of tin though.

srvy
07-12-2019, 02:45 PM
You should have bought every WSM 22 just to resale. Those retail about 400.

Their brickseek inventory said 3 when I went to Target they had one on the floor I bought. Looked all over store for other 2. My guess along with a lot others is employees hide them till they go lowest. Also the older store the better they do the heaviest discounts as they dont have as much storage.

srvy
07-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Looking at the vertical smokers has me piqued as well. Some of them look like they are made of tin though.

Yeah they all are I just keep it covered and dry as best can. Also pellet grills have a lot of cleanup as the pellet debris builds up so plenty opportunity to maintain.

Monty
07-12-2019, 03:06 PM
I was at ATBBQ a few weeks ago. Those competition carts are amazing. With an amazing price tag. Always wanted a Yoder Wichita but could never convince myself to pay for one. I do well enough on things 1/3rd of the price and just can't pull the trigger. You know how much meat I could smoke for the extra $1000-1500 I would spend on a Yoder with a mid range, make some mod's cardboard boxed cooker. Ribs for days.

Exactly. I fell into this one by pure luck, but I have the same mindset.

DJ's left nut
07-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Minion seems like is should be the better way. Probably almost a set it and forget it once you get it down, I bet.

Being just a charcoal burner is what holds me back on the WSM though. Space is not an issue and I do like an offset for the ability to have stick burn or a charcoal basket. As well as being able to have different heat zones in the pit.

Yeah, that's definitely its major drawback.

The biggest benefit, by far, of the Weber is that's largely set and forget. However, if you try to do it with natural hardwood lump charcoal, it'll burn through that shit so fast that you have to re-load, that's just the nature of hardwood lump charcoal.

Meanwhile if you use briquettes you're putting more binders in there than you'd like.

If I have a lazy saturday 'round the house planned and want to make 6-8 of my best slabs to freeze up and re-heat throughout the winter, I'll get a bag of good hardwood charcoal. But when I'm trying to do a lot of stuff, I resort to Kingsford and it's...good enough.

I do think you could probably get away with using sticks and a compound miter saw, though. Just cut those puppies into smaller hunks and burn 'em up. I've never tried it, but I have a shitload of peach wood that I'm thinking of doing that with.

dannybcaitlyn
07-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Get a RecTec.

This right here!

Mephistopheles Janx
07-12-2019, 07:06 PM
I just picked up this unit. I have never smoked meats before so I am excited to see what I can do with it. (Yes... we put it together sideways by mistake)

https://i.imgur.com/z5qLwRT.jpg

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/kamado-grills/products/akorn-20-kamado-6719

We picked up the smoking stone with it. I'll be trying to smoke my first meat within the next few weeks.