PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 1

Rain Man
02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
With the permission of BigRedChief, I have harvested all of the songs that were suggested in his recent thread as the greatest rock and roll song ever, and we're going to settle it once and for all.

We have 272 songs in the hopper, and I included every song that was suggested, regardless of any ensuing argument about whether or not it was really "Rock and Roll".

We're going to do the contest this way.

Step 1. We'll have 34 heats in Round 1, each with 8 songs. Each person can vote for up to three songs, and the top three will move to the next round. All songs will be randomly selected from the list, so save your conspiracy theories for that Kennedy thing.

Step 2. We'll repeat the same process for Round 2 - heats of eight, top 3 move on.

Step 3. When we get down to the final 8 to 12 songs, we'll go with a more stiff competition of some sort - maybe head to head, maybe a survivor-style deal where we vote the bottom few off the island.

You can make any argument you want for or against any song. It's up to you - YOU - to help your song be named the greatest of all time.

I'm not going to post links to every song because frankly that would be a pain, and if you don't know the song then perhaps it shouldn't get your vote anyway. But if you want to listen, a lot of them are in the original BigRedChief thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241439&highlight=jett

SO ARE YOU READY TO ROCK, CHIEFSPLANET?

ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?

ONE...TWO...THREE...FOUR...

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED RAINMAN I LOVE YOU YOU'RE THE GREATEST WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Now I'm getting pissed at how long the poll is taking.

Rain Man
02-27-2011, 11:02 PM
We've had the full gamut of emotions so far. Good start, good start.

WV
02-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Nice....

Rasputin
02-27-2011, 11:08 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/shcI6vE-PlE&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/shcI6vE-PlE&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I voted for the early crowd favorites, apparently.

Bugeater
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
34 heats? This is going to take forever.

And if Stairway to Heaven wins I'm going to kill someone.

luv
02-27-2011, 11:13 PM
AC/DC, Queen, and The Eagles.

KcMizzou
Oh, damn.

KurtCobain

He better go into douche mode like Frazod and get this shit over with quick.

CaliforniaChief
02-27-2011, 11:14 PM

Who? This might affect my voting.

Bugeater
So far I'm the only one who voted for Eminence Front. I'm just not an AC/DC fan at all.

Frazod

I think I need to take young Kevin under my wing..... :)

luv
02-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Oh, pipe down. You're complaining about threads about Rock-n-Roll taking forever? Really? Into instant gratification much?

:p

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Who? This might affect my voting.

ROFL

KcMizzou
02-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Hendrix, Eagles, Zep, AC/DC why can't I vote for 4? Gah.

cdcox
02-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Sorry to see such an iconic song as Black Dog trailing early.

Highway to Hell is like the 5th best song in this poll.

Bugeater
ROFL
I'm not sure what you're laughing about, you're the first one that comes to mind.

KurtCobain
Hendrix, Eagles, Zep, AC/DC why can't I vote for 4? Gah.

Just vote for four. Don't be a wuss. Be a rebel.

KcMizzou
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM

Highway to Hell is like the 5th best song in this poll.Yeah, I had to leave it out. There are much better AC'DC songs though.

cdcox
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
So far I'm the only one who voted for Eminence Front. I'm just not an AC/DC fan at all.

That was a close number 4 for me. My top 3 were: Hotel California, Black Dog and Watchtower.

Frazod
02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I know this will make the so-called classic rock purists gather their torches and pitchforks, but I FUCKING HATE LED ZEPPELIN. Annoying and repetitive with Plant providing fuck grunt noises. Ugh. While Stairway to Heaven is one of their least offensive offerings (meaning that unlike most LZ songs, I won't automatically change the station if I hear it), I'm with Bug - if it wins, I cannot be held responsible for my reaction.

KcMizzou
02-27-2011, 11:24 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RD1KqbDdmuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure what you're laughing about, you're the first one that comes to mind.

Oh fuck, I'm kinda rethinking the bash this year now.

luv
02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RD1KqbDdmuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's what I thought of, too. LMAO

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 11:27 PM
So I am officially pimping Signs by the five man electrical band. Some may not consider it rock n roll, but it's gonna be in this and it's message will strike far.

Gadzooks
02-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Hotel California, really?!? You guys are sooo ghey sometimes.:rolleyes:

Bump
02-27-2011, 11:42 PM

why? it's one of the best rock songs ever.

Bump
02-27-2011, 11:43 PM
That was a close number 4 for me. My top 3 were: Hotel California, Black Dog and Watchtower.

those were my picks too :thumb:

Gadzooks
02-27-2011, 11:45 PM
For those too young to know:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GnHLgxKUsEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
02-27-2011, 11:53 PM
I know this will make the so-called classic rock purists gather their torches and pitchforks, but I ****ING HATE LED ZEPPELIN. Annoying and repetitive with Plant providing **** grunt noises. Ugh. While Stairway to Heaven is one of their least offensive offerings (meaning that unlike most LZ songs, I won't automatically change the station if I hear it), I'm with Bug - if it wins, I cannot be held responsible for my reaction.

Y'know, other than Stairway to Heaven I couldn't even name a Led Zeppelin song. I don't know why, but I've never listened to them at all, and maybe they never played on the radio stations I listened to. I was never exposed to them.

Rain Man
02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Oh, wow. I just listened to Black Dog. I didn't know it was THAT song. I want to change my vote now.

Bugeater
02-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Oh, wow. I just listened to Black Dog. I didn't know it was THAT song. I want to change my vote now.
Yeah, none of the names of Led Zep's songs make any damn sense.

cdcox
02-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Y'know, other than Stairway to Heaven I couldn't even name a Led Zeppelin song. I don't know why, but I've never listened to them at all, and maybe they never played on the radio stations I listened to. I was never exposed to them.

You never saw the Cadillac commercial with Rock and Roll playing in the background?

Whole lotta love?

You have to know at least these two. I bet there are a ton of others that you'd recognize.

LiveSteam
02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
all good songs, but none would hit my top 25

cdcox
02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, none of the names of Led Zep's songs make any damn sense.

Yeah, I always thought the Immigrant Song was called "AAAAEEEAAAAHHH AAAAAHHH".

Rasputin
02-28-2011, 12:03 AM

yea. NEXT

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 12:04 AM
You never saw the Cadillac commercial with Rock and Roll playing in the background?

Whole lotta love?

You have to know at least these two. I bet there are a ton of others that you'd recognize.

Oh, they did THAT song?

I'm learning a lot about this new young group called Led Zeppelin. I may have to try them out.

Gadzooks
02-28-2011, 12:04 AM
I once spoke out against Jimmy Page and received a horrific neg rep bombing.
He’s a rip off artist and he sucks…

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 12:05 AM
I want Black Dog to get into the top three now.

KurtCobain
02-28-2011, 12:05 AM
You gotta move this shit along kev, let's get a few more heats heated up tonight.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 12:07 AM
You gotta move this shit along kev, let's get a few more heats heated up tonight.

No, no, we need proper time for debate and discussion. For example, I just learned tonight that Led Zeppelin's Black Dog is a song that I really like.

We'll do one a day. That should get us close to the draft by the time the whole thing is done.

KurtCobain
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
No, no, we need proper time for debate and discussion. For example, I just learned tonight that Led Zeppelin's Black Dog is a song that I really like.

We'll do one a day. That should get us close to the draft by the time the whole thing is done.

I'm starting a fucking riot if this don't go down my way.

cdcox
02-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Jensen hasn't checked in yet.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm starting a ****ing riot if this don't go down my way.

American Pie? Don't worry. I'm sure it'll win.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Jensen hasn't checked in yet.

Nor has FAX, who I think was the nominator of Uriah Heep.

We've got a slew of Dylan songs in the mix thanks to jenson, and someone else threw at least a dozen Guns N Roses songs in there. He didn't mention that they were Guns N Roses, though, and I don't know Guns N Roses, so I had to look each of them up.

cdcox
02-28-2011, 12:16 AM

We've got a slew of Dylan songs in the mix thanks to jenson, and someone else threw at least a dozen Guns N Roses songs in there. He didn't mention that they were Guns N Roses, though, and I don't know Guns N Roses, so I had to look each of them up.

I never got into just one band to the exclusion of all others. There is too much good music out there to get too wound up into one sound.

KurtCobain
02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
American Pie? Don't worry. I'm sure it'll win.

Check post 27 in this one.

Baby Lee
02-28-2011, 12:40 AM
I know this will make the so-called classic rock purists gather their torches and pitchforks, but I FUCKING HATE LED ZEPPELIN. Annoying and repetitive with Plant providing fuck grunt noises. Ugh. While Stairway to Heaven is one of their least offensive offerings (meaning that unlike most LZ songs, I won't automatically change the station if I hear it), I'm with Bug - if it wins, I cannot be held responsible for my reaction.

1812 Overture
Stairway to Heaven
Sweet Child O'Mine

1. listen in order, and note similarities.
2. ponder act of coitus.

Rasputin
02-28-2011, 12:55 AM

That was me with the Guns N Roses songs, thought everybody in the world would know Guns N Roses. Welcome to the Jungle should be # 1 song.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 01:10 AM
That was me with the Guns N Roses songs, thought everybody in the world would know Guns N Roses. Welcome to the Jungle should be # 1 song.

After about 8 of them I started thinking, "Hey, maybe all of these are Guns N Roses. But I knew that if I made an assumption I'd end up putting something like "Thank God I'm A Country Boy, by Guns N Roses" into the tournament.

Rasputin
02-28-2011, 01:26 AM
After about 8 of them I started thinking, "Hey, maybe all of these are Guns N Roses. But I knew that if I made an assumption I'd end up putting something like "Thank God I'm A Country Boy, by Guns N Roses" into the tournament.

lol, I should have noted it being Guns N Roses, my bad. I just assumed everybody knowing all those songs were from the Appitite for Destruction album. I did quote it as greatest album Appitite for Detruction tho.

Even at that GnR has made multiple songs that could be up for recognition as the greatest. Don't Cry, November Rain, Sweet Child of Mine, You could be mine, Paradise City, and they covered good songs and made them better too. knockin on heavens door, Sympothy for the devil, Hair of the dog, Live and let die. and...
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IP2itbTfwjk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IP2itbTfwjk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Heartbreak hotel.

patteeu
02-28-2011, 01:27 AM
ACDC, Eagles, Led Zeppelin.

The winner will be Fortunate Son. Predicted just before the end of round 2.

mikey23545
02-28-2011, 06:10 AM
I know this will make the so-called classic rock purists gather their torches and pitchforks, but I ****ING HATE LED ZEPPELIN. Annoying and repetitive with Plant providing **** grunt noises. Ugh. While Stairway to Heaven is one of their least offensive offerings (meaning that unlike most LZ songs, I won't automatically change the station if I hear it), I'm with Bug - if it wins, I cannot be held responsible for my reaction.

We were obviously separated at birth.

Ebolapox
02-28-2011, 06:39 AM
We were obviously separated at birth.

my pops is the same way with led zeppelin. can't stomach them on any level.

Nzoner
02-28-2011, 06:54 AM

:thumb:

FAX
02-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm so sad that the Heep get no love from you crazy mofos. However, I'm so happy that I finally found a fairly "recent" song that I really like. No hijack.

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Spirit Dreams Inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JdSSYv4BZ8

FAX

bevischief
02-28-2011, 07:28 AM

ROFL

Los Pollos Hermanos
02-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I have never heard of the song "July Morning" prior to reading this poll. I went to iTunes to listen to it. Worst song I've ever heard.

FAX
02-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I have never heard of the song "July Morning" prior to reading this poll. I went to iTunes to listen to it. Worst song I've ever heard.

In order to properly appreciate "July Morning" (or any Uriah Heep song, for that matter), one must have previously smoked or otherwise ingested a significant amount of hashish, Mr. ChiefsfansofDallas. That way, you can appreciate the subtle intricacies of the B3 technique.

FAX

vailpass
02-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Hotel Cali is a listenable song for sure but next to Hendricks, Zep and AC/DC it doesn't seem as rock and roll.

vailpass
02-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Wow.

Great Expectations
02-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Highway to Hell is like the 5th best song in this poll.

Disturbing that an ACDC song can beat out Black Dog.

salame
02-28-2011, 08:42 AM
black dog

Ebolapox
02-28-2011, 08:59 AM
I want black dog to make it to the next round, but not over hendrix's watchtower.

cdcox
02-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I think Highway to Hell must sound really good in a Camaro.

Ebolapox
02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
don't get me wrong, I like highway to hell--but not in the top three for this one.

Great Expectations
02-28-2011, 09:15 AM
In this group I have it:

1) All Along the Watchtower
2) Black Dog
3) Everybody else

Frazod
02-28-2011, 09:17 AM
1812 Overture
Stairway to Heaven
Sweet Child O'Mine

1. listen in order, and note similarities.
2. ponder act of coitus.

You sound like the douchebag from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2011, 09:21 AM
The Highway to Hell LP gave me goosebumps the first tenthousand times i heard it.

JD10367
02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I didn't vote for "Highway To Hell" because I think there are better AC/DC songs. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", "Thunderstruck", "Back In Black", "For Those About To Rock", etc.,.

Why all the hate for Zeppelin? They have some great songs in their catalog. Especially the early stuff. Listen to their first couple of albums: very bluesy and soulful, taking Elvis's cue of "ripping off black people" and bringing it into hard rock. Listen to the aptly named "I" and "II" and remember those came out in 1969.

seclark
02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
In order to properly appreciate "July Morning" (or any Uriah Heep song, for that matter), one must have previously smoked or otherwise ingested a significant amount of hashish, Mr. ChiefsfansofDallas. That way, you can appreciate the subtle intricacies of the B3 technique.

FAX

i voted for it.:thumb:
sec

Los Pollos Hermanos
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I didn't vote for "Highway To Hell" because I think there are better AC/DC songs. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", "Thunderstruck", "Back In Black", "For Those About To Rock", etc.,.

Why all the hate for Zeppelin? They have some great songs in their catalog. Especially the early stuff. Listen to their first couple of albums: very bluesy and soulful, taking Elvis's cue of "ripping off black people" and bringing it into hard rock. Listen to the aptly named "I" and "II" and remember those came out in 1969.

They took Elvis's cue of ripping off black people to whole new level.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM

IMO you didnt even list the goods on AC/DC songs. So your point about LZ is moot.

JD10367
02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
IMO you didnt even list the goods on AC/DC songs. So your point about LZ is moot.

IMO you saying I didn't list the good AC/DC songs, without supplying what you think are the good AC/DC songs, and then extrapolating that and deciding what I say about Zeppelin is moot, makes YOU moot. :harumph:

Frazod
02-28-2011, 09:39 AM

I'll take Thinking For Myself for $1,000, Alex.

JD10367
02-28-2011, 09:42 AM
And the thing about "Stairway" is that it was an early frontrunner for songs with no real shape to them. It starts slow, grows in tempo, changes in tone, and generally does something that most songs didn't do at the time. Same goes for modern stuff: you'll find a lot of meandering songs nowadays, with pauses, tempo changes, and other interesting "holes" in them. From NIN to Death Cab For Cutie, you'll find more variation than ABACAB (the music pattern, not the song from Genesis). Plus, "Stairway" was pretty much the first crunchy-granola goth-type of song.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2011, 09:47 AM
IMO you saying I didn't list the good AC/DC songs, without supplying what you think are the good AC/DC songs, and then extrapolating that and deciding what I say about Zeppelin is moot, makes YOU moot. :harumph:

idk care what you think:harumph:. everyone knows brian johnson isnt half the frontman ronald belford scott was.
That kind of authentic rock n roll is magic.
Yeah the black LP was huge but it cant hold a candle to the grit of anything pre-black.

Nzoner
02-28-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm so sad that the Heep get no love from you crazy mofos.

FAX

They got love from me

FAX

:D

Nzoner
02-28-2011, 09:51 AM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H1iR2Wi3u5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MOhillbilly
02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNetixfZfI

Omaha
02-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Dylan is getting hosed! I love that song. I'm glad to All Along the Watchtower doing well, though.

I've never understood the love for ACDC, but that's about what I expected.

Omaha
02-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah, I love Zeppelin. There are better choices than Black Dog, but it seems like a clear top 3 in this group.

Omaha
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
In this group I have it:

1) All Along the Watchtower
2) Black Dog
3) Everybody else

This! Actually, I put Dylan in the #3 slot & then there's a huge dropoff, IMO. Good call.

Nzoner
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I've been working so damn much I haven't had much time to spend here so I hope to hell ZZ Top gets some love in one of these polls.

LaGrange,I'm Bad I'm Nationwide,Brown Sugar,Just Got Paid,Tush,Heard it on The X,Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers....something other than Legs or Sharp Dressed Man.

Nzoner
02-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I love Zeppelin. There are better choices than Black Dog, but it seems like a clear top 3 in this group.

It's the problem with so called classic rock-n-roll radio,the jock says they're going to play some Zeppelin and they choose from 5-6 songs when the catalogue includes so much much more,I mean when's the last time anyone heard In The Light or In My Time Of Dying on the radio other than maybe Sirius?

I for one DO NOT listen to commercial radio,I make my own cd's etc. and never turn local stations on.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Anyone who doesnt like AC/DC drinks grape box wine and smokes cock.

Frazod
02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I have posted many times about the longest, shittiest night of my life - it was enduring a Bob Dylan concert. FUCK. The ticket was free and I still paid too much.

siberian khatru
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
It's the problem with so called classic rock-n-roll radio,the jock says they're going to play some Zeppelin and they choose from 5-6 songs when the catalogue includes so much much more,I mean when's the last time anyone heard In The Light or In My Time Of Dying on the radio other than maybe Sirius?

"Ten Years Gone." LOVE that song.

Haven't read through all the thread, so this may have been mentioned, but of all the Who songs, why is "Eminence Front" chosen? That should be WAY down the list.

Nzoner
02-28-2011, 10:30 AM
"Ten Years Gone." LOVE that song.

Another great one and now thinking about that album as a whole I'd probably have to go with this one song.A little mellow but picks up a couple of minutes in.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_zuKklBRlzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

siberian khatru
02-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Another great one and now thinking about that album as a whole I'd probably have to go with this one song.A little mellow but picks up a couple of minutes in.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_zuKklBRlzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Definitely. That's a great album. It's probably my favorite Page stuff. He uses so many different guitars, and layers them and uses so many effects, it's just a cornucopia of sounds.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Okay, at noon MST time we'll shut this poll down and bring up Heat 2.

This one is going to be a dogfight for the top three spots. Early on, it looked like a runaway for Highway, Watchtower, and California, but Black Dog has made a furious comeback.

cdcox
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Now I'm starting to worry about the survival of Hotel California. That is my favorite Eagles song and the Eagles are one of my top 5 groups. I hope there is room at the top of this competition for some diversity in musical style.

Infidel Goat
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Interesting.

I voted without checking the standings.

Decided only to vote for two songs: Hendrix and Zeppelin.

Looks like it was a wise vote strategically with only three advancing...

Frazod
02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Now I'm starting to worry about the survival of Hotel California. That is my favorite Eagles song and the Eagles are one of my top 5 groups. I hope there is room at the top of this competition for some diversity in musical style.

If Hotel California doesn't make it out of the first round I'll put all the rest of these poll threads on ignore.

JonesCrusher
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Gotta go with Black Dog.

Los Pollos Hermanos
02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
If Hotel California doesn't make it out of the first round I'll put all the rest of these poll threads on ignore.

Why don't you just rig this poll like you did the Douche of the Year poll?

patteeu
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
The big surprise here is that an obscure Uriah Heep song generated 4 votes for greatest RnR song of all time. :spock:

FAX
02-28-2011, 01:06 PM
The big surprise here is that an obscure Uriah Heep song generated 4 votes for greatest RnR song of all time. :spock:

Combine Uriah Heep, a half-kilo of black Lebanese hash, and a hot, little blond with proportionate tittahs to light your pipe and it's really no surprise at all, really.

I wonder, sometimes, what some of you guys do with your spare time.

FAX

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Okay, shut 'er down, and frazod's not going to like it.

The three moving on are:

Highway to Hell, AC/DC
All Along the Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix
Black Dog, Led Zeppelin

Frazod
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Okay, shut 'er down, and frazod's not going to like it.

The three moving on are:

Highway to Hell, AC/DC
All Along the Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix
Black Dog, Led Zeppelin

I guess I'll be abstaining from this point forward. This is basically like Tom Cash not making it out of the first round of the douche poll. It's like Abba being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but not Boston. Oh wait, that second one is real.

Y'all have fun. :shake:

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I guess I'll be abstaining from this point forward. This is basically like Tom Cash not making it out of the first round of the douche poll. It's like Abba being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but not Boston. Oh wait, that second one is real.

Y'all have fun. :shake:

You'll be back...(nodding head)....you'll be back.

I gotta admit, I'm surprised too. Do some people not view it as rock and roll or something, or is it possible that it's not as popular as we think? It was my easy #1 choice.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2011, 02:10 PM
motherfuckin hippies!

seclark
02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
mother****in hippies!

mellow
sec

Frazod
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
You'll be back...(nodding head)....you'll be back.

I gotta admit, I'm surprised too. Do some people not view it as rock and roll or something, or is it possible that it's not as popular as we think? It was my easy #1 choice.

Nope. Fatal flaw. Besides, polls about popular music generally just make me want to beat the shit out of people anyway. When it comes to music, I like what I like, don't give a crap about anybody else's opinion, and none of that is ever going to change. I'll leave it to the HipNtrendYs to debate the merits of crap I wouldn't listen to unless you had a gun to my head.

Great Expectations
02-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Did the Eagles or ACDC get the 3rd spot?

Omaha
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Rain Man said AC/DC, but Hotel Cali is now winning. I think he closed it when AC/DC was up. It looks like I shouldn't have "wasted" my vote on Dylan. I like Hotel California better than the AC/DC song.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Well, I had declared the poll closed, and then it caused a rush of mellow Eagles fans to finally vote five minutes afterward. Now I'm not sure. I'm wondering if I should just add them both. Maybe one kind soul could cast a vote for AC/DC so I can declare it a tie.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute, it's tied up again.

Screw it. They're both moving on to the next round.

patteeu
02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Well, I had declared the poll closed, and then it caused a rush of mellow Eagles fans to finally vote five minutes afterward. Now I'm not sure. I'm wondering if I should just add them both. Maybe one kind soul could cast a vote for AC/DC so I can declare it a tie.

This is how they run elections in St. Louis.

Frazod
02-28-2011, 03:01 PM

This is why I put a one day time limit on my douchy polls.

DJ's left nut
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Blah.

The Eagles are overrated as hell and Hotel California is the most overrated of all their overrated crap.

It's like that play where Derek Jeter threw a backhanded shovel pass to Posada against the A's when Jeremy Giambi was too fucking stupid to slide. It was a nothing play - it was a simple backhanded toss by a cutoff man. I've seen similar plays in slow pitch softball.

But because it was an overrated player doing it, suddenly it becomes mythical.

If Jackson Browne came out with Hotel California, it would be forgotten to history.

Though you are correct - Bob Dylan sucks. Hard. When it comes to overrated crap, he may be one of the few guys out there that could run with the Eagles and their catalog of 1,000 songs (most of which nobody's ever heard and most of which suck bawls).

patteeu
02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

I've got to admit, Rain Man could learn a thing or two about polling from Frazod. :)

Frazod
02-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Blah.

The Eagles are overrated as hell and Hotel California is the most overrated of all their overrated crap.

It's like that play where Derek Jeter threw a backhanded shovel pass to Posada against the A's when Jeremy Giambi was too fucking stupid to slide. It was a nothing play - it was a simple backhanded toss by a cutoff man. I've seen similar plays in slow pitch softball.

If Jackson Browne came out with Hotel California, it would be forgotten to history.

Though you are correct - Bob Dylan sucks. Hard. When it comes to overrated crap, he may be one of the few guys out there that could run with the Eagles and their catalog of 1,000 songs (most of which nobody's ever heard and most of which suck bawls).

I was wondering which of the HipNtrendYs would piss all over the Eagles first. My money was on Reaper16.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
This is how they run elections in St. Louis.

Yeah, but that's why St. Louis is one of the most prosperous and well-regarded cities in America.

DJ's left nut
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I was wondering which of the HipNtrendYs would piss all over the Eagles first. My money was on Reaper16.

Oh c'mon, I issued one of the few "Eminence Front" votes in the thread and am going to fight to the death the keep the Stones moving forward wherever possible.

While I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a "HipNtrendY", unless its sole requirements are not liking the Eagles, I cannot believe I qualify.

The Eagles just suck, that's all.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Y'know, something about time limits on polls really bothers me. I don't know why, and it would make sense to have time limits, but I can never bring myself to do it. I think it's because my polls are my children and I enjoy the thought of them living forever. They're kind of my legacy.

Frazod
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh c'mon, I issued one of the few "Eminence Front" votes in the thread and am going to fight to the death the keep the Stones moving forward wherever possible.

While I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a "HipNtrendY", unless its sole requirements are not liking the Eagles, I cannot believe I qualify.

The Eagles just suck, that's all.

I would imagine the only use I'd have for most of your musical collection is target practice. And that's okay, because musical taste is 100% subjective. Your disdain for the Eagles will have zero impact on whether or not I continue to like them. If I can get over Don Henley being one of the biggest jerkoffs alive, I can handle pretty much anything.

Brock
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I voted for Hotel California. Clearly the high water mark of the Eagles, and probably the only time they ever actually tried to say anything in their music.

Los Pollos Hermanos
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
probably the only time they ever actually tried to say anything in their music.

Not true. In Peaceful Easy Feeling they were trying to say that they had a feeling and that it was peaceful. And easy.

DJ's left nut
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Not true. In Peaceful Easy Feeling they were trying to say that they had a feeling and that it was peaceful. And easy.

Wasn't that just the sequel to Take it Easy?

Or did Glenn Frey really need a ride?

Dartgod
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Blah.

I'll fucking cut you.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
02-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I'll ****ing cut you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Suck it, Nub.

siberian khatru
02-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Oh c'mon, I issued one of the few "Eminence Front" votes in the thread

You are certifiably insane, or a hopeless contrarian.

MOhillbilly
I'll ****ing cut you.
Posted via Mobile Device

like.

patteeu
Is it too late to rally the votes for Uriah Heep?

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Is it too late to rally the votes for Uriah Heep?

Looking at the numbers, I think the answer is yes. But then again, you and FAX carry a lot of weight around here.

cdcox
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Blah.

It's like that play where Derek Jeter threw a backhanded shovel pass to Posada against the A's when Jeremy Giambi was too ****ing stupid to slide. It was a nothing play - it was a simple backhanded toss by a cutoff man. I've seen similar plays in slow pitch softball.

Wow, bag on the Eagles, Jackson Browne and Bob Dylan in one post. :shake: I can't say your musical opinions will hold much weight for me.