PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft WR Jones does combine work out with broken foot

Mr. Laz
02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
NFL Scouting Combine: Julio Jones should cash in after solid showing
Published: Monday, February 28, 2011, 6:17 AM
Updated: Monday, February 28, 2011, 8:06 AM

By Izzy Gould/Tuscaloosa Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

Julio Jones had a breakout performance at the NFL Scouting Combine likely to the delight of Under Armour, which he signed an advertising contract with last week. (Photo | Under Armour)

INDIANAPOLIS -- Julio Jones woke up Lucas Oil Stadium with perhaps the most lucrative workout of his life.

Whether it was enough to leapfrog former Georgia star A.J. Green as the top wide receiver prospect is debatable.

The former Alabama star validated his decision to leave the Crimson Tide a year early with a strong performance Sunday at the combine.

Many already recognized Jones as a physical receiver who, after he was measured at the combine, is listed at 6-foot-2, 220 pounds. At Alabama, he was listed as 6-4.

Jones showed he has some pretty fast feet to the delight of Under Armour, which signed him to an endorsement deal last week.

Jones created a buzz with a 40-yard dash time of 4.39 seconds in his second attempt. He also posted the top overall broad jump mark of 11 feet, 3 inches.

One criticism entering the combine was about Jones' hands and his ability to make catches consistently.

Jones was asked to state his case for being the top receiver taken in April.

"I'm a great blocker," Jones said. "I'm a physical receiver. A lot of guys are finesse type guys. You really can't compare their game to mine because they're different (types of receivers).

"I can't say I'm better than A.J. and I can't say he's better than me. We work together. He's a great guy. He's a great athlete as well."

Former LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, widely regarded as the top cornerback in the draft, said Sunday that Jones was the only one to get a receiving touchdown against him last year. He also said he respects the abilities of Jones and Green equally.

"I could have been better if I could have played those guys each and every week," Peterson said. "In the NFL it's Jones and Green every Sunday."

Jones ran clean routes, showed he had good hands for the most part, dazzled scouts with his speed, but did not make sharp cuts consistently. He dropped one catchable pass on a seam route, but gave scouts a good look at his hands throughout the passing drills, which lasted about an hour.

Whether it is enough to impress an NFL team to pick him ahead of the 6-4, 220-pound Green is another question. Green has been widely regarded by draft experts as the top available wide receiver. He stumbled a few times during receiver drills, ran a 4.48 in the 40, leaped 10 feet, 6 inches in the broad jump and recorded a 34.5-inch vertical leap.

Jones and Green have been preparing for the combine at the same facility in Phoenix, Ariz., and have become friends.

Jones was asked to state his case for being the top receiver taken in April.

"I'm a great blocker," Jones said. "I'm a physical receiver. A lot of guys are finesse type guys. You really can't compare their game to mine because they're different (type of receivers). I can't say I'm better than A.J. and I can't say he's better than me. We work together. He's a great guy. He's a great athlete as well."

Florida strong safety Ahmad Black, who faced both players in the SEC, said the Gators feared them equally.

"They're two different types of receivers," Black said. "Julio's more of a physical type. A.J.'s more of a jump ball go-get-it. A.J.'s more of a better catcher; Julio's more of a blocker, puts his body on you to get open."

Jones fought off injuries and led the Tide last season with 78 catches for 1,133 yards and seven touchdowns, including a school record 221 yards on 12 catches in a 41-10 win at Tennessee. Green had 57 receptions for 848 yards and nine touchdowns.

"I think I'm the best," Green said. "I'm going to do what I can to be the No. 1 receiver and I feel like Julio's going to do his best -- we're not going to be mad if I'm not the top receiver drafted, it's not going to mess with our friendship. Whatever happens, happens."

Mr. Laz
02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
NFL Network's Charley Casserly reports that Julio Jones needs surgery after performing at Combine with foot fracture.

the Talking Can
02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
not seeing mention of it in the article...am i blind

the Talking Can
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
jones could be steve smith....he's not as good a natural wr as green, but i like his build and physical play more

Mr. Laz
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
not seeing mention of it in the article...am i blind
no ... i added that info in next post

i couldn't find an article with both his combine results and the foot injury together