PDA

View Full Version : News Are LED Lights Hazardous To Your Health?

mikey23545
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks, Greenies...

Reds are the worst.

They have eight times the amount of lead allowed under California law. But all of the light-emitting diodes (LEDs) tested by UC Irvine scientists were brimming with toxins – lead, arsenic and many other potentially hazardous substances – linked to cancer and other horrible diseases and maladies.

The scientists tested – crunched, leached and measured – Christmas strands, traffic lights and car headlights and brake lights. They reported their findings about the Christmas lights in the January 2011 issue of Environmental Science & Technology and plan to publish a more comprehensive paper at a later date.

Oladele Ogunseitan, chair of the university’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention, noted that breathing fumes from a single bulb won’t give a person cancer. But any exposure increases the odds of developing disease, and most consumers are utterly unaware of any risks from LEDs, he said. He recommended people use a special broom and wear gloves and a mask when cleaning up a broken bulb.

While there are rules about disposal of compact fluorescent bulbs, LEDs aren’t classified as toxic and can go into regular landfills. What angers Ogunseitan is that LEDs weren’t tested before they were introduced and promoted as an alternative to inefficient incandescent bulbs – and, he said, manufacturers could easily make safer versions.

“Every day we don’t have a law that says you cannot replace an unsafe product with another unsafe product, we’re putting people’s lives at risk,” he said. “And it’s a preventable risk.”

http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/02/are-led-lights-hazardous-to-your-health/

ModSocks
03-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Lol.

Two weeks after i replaced all my car's interior bulbs with LEDs.......

listopencil
03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh darn, I've been eating them.

Ebolapox
03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
/Teedubya

kstater
03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm sure a lot of things are hazardous to my health if I destroy them and eat it.

Phobia
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I just discovered that drinking used motor oil is also hazardous. Who knew? I thought it would make pooping go more smoothly.

CrazyPhuD
03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Well at least drinking anti-freeze is still safe.

bevischief
03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
/Teedubya

this.

Gonzo
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Well shit. I thought crushing LED's and putting them in donated dog food would have been ok. Anyone know the number to Wayside Waifs animal shelter?
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
03-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Guess the kids will start snorting these now!

bowener
03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Guess the kids will start snorting these now!
Start? Hell! ben doinet for yers nao!