PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Interview

AndChiefs
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Well since everyone else has been doing it....

I just had a phone interview for a job I'm really hoping to get out in Oregon. There's another round after this one so we'll see but I'm definitely tired of being unemployed.

Just asking for good thoughts/prayers/whatever as well. Thanks all.

*Update* So...bad news. I didn't get the job.

Supposedly, I was the "best candidate" but they were afraid that I would leave because I was "overqualified". Unfortunately, I'm seemingly over-qualified or under-qualified for every job in the world. */Update*

Old Dog
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Good luck and Best wishes.

ChiTown
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Good luck. I hope you get the job.

bevischief
03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Good luck and break a leg.

Dayze
03-03-2011, 03:28 PM
done dude. Been there, done that. it sucks.

good luck.

Stewie
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Good luck! And you don't have to pump your own gas in Oregon! Win-Win!

Toadkiller
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Where at in Oregon, here in Portland?

mnchiefsguy
03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Best of luck!

AndChiefs
03-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Where at in Oregon, here in Portland?

Tualatin, so close enough.

And thanks everyone.

Pushead2
03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Good luck man, I hope you get it.

Toadkiller
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
What kind of work are you looking for.

AndChiefs
03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
What kind of work are you looking for.

PM sent.

Lzen
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
You got it, bud.

Bugeater
03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Good luck man, I know you've been looking for a long time.

Sofa King
03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Tualatin, so close enough.

And thanks everyone.

you'll have to set up a springfield, er, portland gathering when you get out there.

AndChiefs
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM
So...bad news. I didn't get the job.

Supposedly, I was the "best candidate" but they were afraid that I would leave because I was "overqualified". Unfortunately, I'm seemingly over-qualified or under-qualified for every job in the world.

phisherman
03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
sorry to hear it.

the "overqualified" thing has happened to me in the past as well.

ReynardMuldrake
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
So...bad news. I didn't get the job.

Supposedly, I was the "best candidate" but they were afraid that I would leave because I was "overqualified". Unfortunately, I'm seemingly over-qualified or under-qualified for every job in the world.

Nothing is as frustrating as being turned down for a job for being overqualified. That sucks man.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear, andchiefs. Hopefully you'll find another opportunity soon.

What type of job are you seeking?

Dayze
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
i hated when I was told I was 'overqualified'.

...sort of like being over-pregnant.

sorry man; hope something breaks soo.

AndChiefs
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear, andchiefs. Hopefully you'll find another opportunity soon.

What type of job are you seeking?

This position was a buyer position but I'm looking to get into project-based work as I've found that's what I enjoy the most.

I recently graduated with my MBA from a fairly high ranking school but I'm finding that many of these positions require years of experience while I've only participated in two four-month long projects (though I was project manager on both). The rest of my experience is all retail management which doesn't seem to translate well outside of retailers.

Of course, it's rare for anyone to get their dream position right away so I'm trying to keep my options as open as possible.

WebGem
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Overqualified FTW

Bugeater
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a cop-out on their part. Sorry to hear that man.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Missed this the first time, and sorry to see it was bad news. You've got the degree. You'll get there sooner or later. Good luck man.

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
This position was a buyer position but I'm looking to get into project-based work as I've found that's what I enjoy the most.

I recently graduated with my MBA from a fairly high ranking school but I'm finding that many of these positions require years of experience while I've only participated in two four-month long projects (though I was project manager on both). The rest of my experience is all retail management which doesn't seem to translate well outside of retailers.

Of course, it's rare for anyone to get their dream position right away so I'm trying to keep my options as open as possible.

Maybe you can learn from the experience. In you next interview, try to get out in front of this potential criticism. Tell them right up front that you'd like to get into project-based work. Explain to them how you think "job" will help you get there. Make sure you stress the fact that you NEED 5 YEARS OF SOLID EXPERIENCE doing "job" in order to become qualified for that position.

If a company can get an over-qualified person to work for them for 5 years, they will probably embrace the opportunity. It's expensive to hire someone, though. As a result, they would rather hire an adequately qualified person who will stick rather than an over-qualified person who will leave after 6 months.

AndChiefs
03-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Maybe you can learn from the experience. In you next interview, try to get out in front of this potential criticism. Tell them right up front that you'd like to get into project-based work. Explain to them how you think "job" will help you get there. Make sure you stress the fact that you NEED 5 YEARS OF SOLID EXPERIENCE doing "job" in order to become qualified for that position.

If a company can get an over-qualified person to work for them for 5 years, they will probably embrace the opportunity. It's expensive to hire someone, though. As a result, they would rather hire an adequately qualified person who will stick rather than an over-qualified person who will leave after 6 months.

I tried imparting these thoughts while ensuring them that I do have goals and don't want to be in the same spot my whole career. Guess I didn't do a good enough job of that.

bevischief
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I have heard that way too many times through the years... Keep at it something has to come through for you.