PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink -- What did you all used to order at Stephenson's?

Simply Red
03-05-2011, 08:41 AM
You know, back when it actually existed? I remember getting their applewood smoked pork chops, their salads w/ the cheese horns, also, the hot apple fritters and churned butter scoop.

Oh God!

Also, though I have the recipe, i've yet to make it like they did, and that's the 'green rice!'

yummy. How in the hell did they NOT make it?

http://i54.tinypic.com/28vro6w.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/1zl8zex.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/9gbs3n.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2eq5mqp.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/5osb5j.jpg

FAX
03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Filet mignon. Chateau Le Fit. Sex with the most gorgeous blond ever to grace the planet after.

I miss that place terribly. It was sad to learn (here, by the way) that it had gone away. Some of my best (and most melancholy) memories are associated with that place.

FAX

phisherman
03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
i worked there in high school for several years and ate more or less everything on their menu. the green rice was necessary and my favorite dish was probably the pork chops. you could cut them with a fork; so tender.

being the busser supervisor there was cushy. i got to just roam around the restaurant on busy nights and help out where needed. which means that i really didn't do much of anything.

Simply Red
03-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Filet mignon. Chateau Le Fit. Sex with the most gorgeous blond ever to grace the planet after.

I miss that place terribly. It was sad to learn (here, by the way) that it had gone away. Some of my best (and most melancholy) memories are associated with that place.

FAX

yes, there was definitely an 'elegance' - The Southerners CLAIM to have places like this: AKA: The Dilliard House - there's just no compairing the two. I almost feel Kansas City STILL has better food (overall) than Atlanta, aside from 'fine-dining' maybe.

Simply Red
03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
i worked there in high school for several years and ate more or less everything on their menu. the green rice was necessary and my favorite dish was probably the pork chops. you could cut them with a fork; so tender.

being the busser supervisor there was cushy. i got to just roam around the restaurant on busy nights and help out where needed. which means that i really didn't do much of anything.

Did you go to 'Truman' Phish? assuming you worked at the 40hwy location.

gblowfish
03-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Stephenson's is gone from 40 Highway and Lee's Summit Road, but it's not gone totally. The guys who were the chefs there opened a new restaurant in Raytown at 66th and Blue Ridge Cutoff. They have most of the same menu, including the apple fritters.

I used to work about a half mile up the road from Stephenson's and would eat there at least once or twice a month. Good stuff. The old Red Mule Inn across the street is now the Big Biscuit, which is one of KC's best places for breakfast.

Wilson8
03-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Recipe By : Stephenson’s Restaurant, Kansas City MO
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 c cooked rice
1 c chopped parsley
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/3 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic -- minced
14 1/2 oz canned evaporated milk
2 eggs -- beaten
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned salt and pepper
1/4 tsp Accent=AE seasoning mix
1 Juice and grated rind of lemon

Mix rice, parsley, cheese, onion, green pepper, garlic in greased 2 quart
casserole. Blend rest of ingredients. Mix into rice. Sprinkle with paprika.=
Bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes, or until like a soft custard.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This side is always served with any meal at Stephenson’s Restaurant,=
Kansas City, MO.Typed and shared with you in Mastercook III format by
Lorna Hudson.

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/rice/03/rec0398.html

Simply Red
03-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I still have their oven baked brisket recipe, and I'd put up against any smoked brisket I've had. Our neighbor growing up in Blue Springs in the early eighties was the trainer of the cooks. He shared MANY recipes w/ my mother. That damned green rice though, they did SOMETHING, I can't duplicate it. I'm good at duplicating 'tastes' and 'recipes' too. :shrug:

Simply Red
03-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Stephenson's is gone from 40 Highway and Lee's Summit Road, but it's not gone totally. The guys who were the chefs there opened a new restaurant in Raytown at 66th and Blue Ridge Cutoff. They have most of the same menu, including the apple fritters.

I used to work about a half mile up the road from Stephenson's and would eat there at least once or twice a month. Good stuff. The old Red Mule Inn across the street is now the Big Biscuit, which is one of KC's best places for breakfast.

I went to big biscuit off of 7 when I went to the bash. Wow yes, damned straight, they do it right!

Simply Red
03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Recipe By : Stephenson’s Restaurant, Kansas City MO
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 c cooked rice
1 c chopped parsley
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/3 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic -- minced
14 1/2 oz canned evaporated milk
2 eggs -- beaten
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned salt and pepper
1/4 tsp Accent=AE seasoning mix
1 Juice and grated rind of lemon

Mix rice, parsley, cheese, onion, green pepper, garlic in greased 2 quart
casserole. Blend rest of ingredients. Mix into rice. Sprinkle with paprika.=
Bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes, or until like a soft custard.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This side is always served with any meal at Stephenson’s Restaurant,=
Kansas City, MO.Typed and shared with you in Mastercook III format by
Lorna Hudson.

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/rice/03/rec0398.html

It's a tough one to get right, though.

Wilson8
03-05-2011, 09:07 AM
The apple fritters and the brisket. It was the place to go for a special event.

I really miss the orchards too. It was a great place to go and pick apples in the fall.

phisherman
03-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Did you go to 'Truman' Phish? assuming you worked at the 40hwy location.

I did go to Truman, graduated in 95.

When Rick Stephenson needed me to, I also worked shifts at the Red Mule Inn (now the Big Biscuit across the street) and at the Apple Tree Inn up north.

Deberg_1990
03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
is now the Big Biscuit, which is one of KC's best places for breakfast.

This! The portion sizes are huge!

Simply Red
03-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I did go to Truman, graduated in 95.

When Rick Stephenson needed me to, I also worked shifts at the Red Mule Inn (now the Big Biscuit across the street) and at the Apple Tree Inn up north.

oh okay, Blue Springs '91 here, yeah, my 'now' stepfather, 'then' mom's boyfriend lived in Quail Creek, LOL. I remember going to funhouse and Venture and shitty Rustler's BBQ,

Independence is the most interesting place in KC for it's people watching alone.

What else I fine amazing is the Italian culture hidden in that town, huge Italian population, at least then, there was.

Toadkiller
03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Blue Springs, '88 here. I forgot all about Stephenson's till this thread, wow a rush of memories flooding back.

KurtCobain
03-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I'd order something poisonous to feed to shogun right now.