PDA

View Full Version : Life Adventures in Parenting, Episode #3467, the 911 hang-up call.

JOhn
03-06-2011, 09:10 AM
So I'm at work this morning and my neighbor calls and says there are 3 cop cars at my place. OK I instantly panic as my 14 y/o daughter and her friend are there watching the boys since I had to work. Well I call and my daughter says they ar...e OK, but the boys were calling 911 from my old disconnected cell phone.
Apparently the boys, 5 & 11, woke up at 4am and called 911. They called 21 times!!!!
At some point the dispatcher was able to talk to my son & ask were his parents were. He told them his sister was watching then, but wouldn't wake her up because she would be mad!! This happened over several different calls, all the while my son is whispering so as not to wake up his sister.

Anyway, they had to track the call via GPS and had to knock on every door at my apts to find were the call was coming from. Luckily the PD who came down to my work, 2 blocks away, was very cool about the whole deal. He gave the boys a stern talking to and no one is getting in trouble. .... well at least not by the PD. Oh and the neighbors all love me now.......:doh!:

The boys will be writing a letter of apology to the PD & Dispatch center.

Al Bundy
03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oJ-ldcnhsLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROYC75
03-06-2011, 09:20 AM
21 times ? They really needed permission to get up and go pee!

JOhn
03-06-2011, 09:23 AM
21 times ? They really needed permission to get up and go pee!

Well in their defense, I think they dialed 911 once. then were just hitting send which redials last call. LMAO

The dispatcher I talked to was laughing about the 5y/o whispering so as not to wake up his sister.ROFL

Al Bundy
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
If I lived in your complex I would follow the cops around until they found the right one, then I would leave a big bag of shit on your door.

Bwana
03-06-2011, 09:27 AM
:facepalm:

Ouch! That's one hell of a way to start your day.

http://www.torch.aetc.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/webgraphic/AFG-080229-003.jpg

JOhn
03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
:facepalm:

Ouch! That's one hell of a way to start your day.

http://www.torch.aetc.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/webgraphic/AFG-080229-003.jpg

:LOL:

Yea, I'm actually laughing about the fact he was scared of his sister ROFL

WV
03-06-2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.juliesjournal.com/art/blogart/HomerChokingBart.jpg

Huffman83
03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
It happens all of the time. It's annoying and a waste of time/resources.

Most people don't know that YES! Disconnected cell phones canl still call 911. Even if you just push random buttons on your phone (like a butt dial.) it will call 911 because it thinks you're under distress.

I'd say on my average day 2 out of 10 911 calls my center receives is actually an "emergency."

What sucks is when you have cops tied up on bullshit calls like that because someone didn't take their disconnected cell phone away from their toddler. "He likes the light/button noises! It can't call anything!"

So you can't call the # back and get an adult on the line. You just have to deal w/ the little bastard calling 911 and hope the cell phone plots to the right location. Otherwise you're SOL.

Bwana
03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Totally off topic, but cell phones, for all the good they can do, can also be a real pain in the ass.

My wife and I called my folks and treated them to dinner last night at the Rex. The Rex is a high end restaurant here in town, with good food, but not exactly giveaway prices.

We were just starting our meal, when some dipshits cell phone starts ringing. The guy was about 10 feet away, so I couldn't help hearing every freaking word of his conversation. The dude was obviously liquored up, because he was yelling into the phone, rather than talking. It was so bad, that the four of us couldn't even hear each other talking across the table. The guy was just chit chatting and it was painfully obvious, that his house wasn't on fire, or there wasn't anything urgent going on.

After about 5 minutes of this, half the customers were looking at this douche, thinking the same thing I was. I finally got his attention, shook my head and gave him the cut across the neck signal with my index finger. He yacked on for another 30 seconds, but did end the call.

His timing was good, because with some of the looks the guys was catching, it wouldn't have ended well for him, or his phone.

End of rant.....

Gonzo
03-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I have morons at my work accidentally call 911 every day. They have to dial 9 to get out and don't pay attention. I'm always the one stuck calling dispatch to let them know of the misdial because these idiots always panic and hang up.
Posted via Mobile Device

JOhn
03-06-2011, 01:37 PM
It happens all of the time. It's annoying and a waste of time/resources.

Most people don't know that YES! Disconnected cell phones canl still call 911. Even if you just push random buttons on your phone (like a butt dial.) it will call 911 because it thinks you're under distress.

I'd say on my average day 2 out of 10 911 calls my center receives is actually an "emergency."

What sucks is when you have cops tied up on bullshit calls like that because someone didn't take their disconnected cell phone away from their toddler. "He likes the light/button noises! It can't call anything!"

So you can't call the # back and get an adult on the line. You just have to deal w/ the little bastard calling 911 and hope the cell phone plots to the right location. Otherwise you're SOL.
WOW dude, maybe you need another line of work?

As for your random number theory that must be unique to your area, as I just tested your theory....sorry doesn't work. Also it doesn't work in other area's of MO. But hey it sounds good and backs up your self righteous indignation.

Sorry this "someone" didn't give his phone to kis kids cause it lights up or any other BS.

Yea I know all about the "system" and how it works for hang-ups and accidental calls, having worked in the Sheriffs dispatch (in MO from 89-96) while working as a Medic. Sounds like maybe you need to take a vacation or start thinking of a new line of work to help relieve a little case of burn out you seem to be working on.

Bugeater
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm a little surprised that the police went to such extremes when it was pretty obvious what was going on. But then again, the police in Cody, WY probably didn't have anything else to do at 4 in the morning.

JOhn
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm a little surprised that the police went to such extremes when it was pretty obvious what was going on. But then again, the police in Cody, WY probably didn't have anything else to do at 4 in the morning.

Exactly.
I talked with my sister ( a 911 dispatcher/supervisor for 20+years) about this and she said the same thing.

I also talked to the Patrol Supervisor here who had contacted me this am, and he was not upset at all that it happened. Said the yea this does happen on occasion, but that the VAST majority of the 911 hang up calls in his experience are from adults who are under the influence.

Yea Cody is only 9,000 or so people, and maybe fewer in the winter.

Huffman83
03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
WOW dude, maybe you need another line of work?

As for your random number theory that must be unique to your area, as I just tested your theory....sorry doesn't work. Also it doesn't work in other area's of MO. But hey it sounds good and backs up your self righteous indignation.

Sorry this "someone" didn't give his phone to kis kids cause it lights up or any other BS.

Yea I know all about the "system" and how it works for hang-ups and accidental calls, having worked in the Sheriffs dispatch (in MO from 89-96) while working as a Medic. Sounds like maybe you need to take a vacation or start thinking of a new line of work to help relieve a little case of burn out you seem to be working on.

Nah, it's not burnout (at least that's what I keep telling myself.) ;) Where did you work though?

It wasn't intended to be taken in a "self righteous" I was just being honest. It's annoying and it's a drain on emergency resources.

I'd recommend going into a 911 dispatch center in a decently populated area in order for you to know what I'm talking about though. Things have changed since 1996.

You probably never took 30 disconnected cellular 911 calls in 10 minutes from a little kid playing on a phone that didn't plot to an area on top of the regular work load that comes in on an actual daily basis. Not saying you didn't "hear some shit." But just because of the era you worked in. People had cell phones of course, but they weren't as common as they are now. The technology has gotten better to where I'd say %70 of the time we can get a cell phone to plot to the general area of where the call is coming from.

Trust me, I've had conversations w/ people about their small children messing w/ cell phones. And that is what one person genuinely said. I couldn't make that up.

Huffman83
03-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Or they were avoiding a BS larceny/cold call waiting for them. Hoping someone in a sister beat would handle it.

Tax dollars at work man!!

Frazod
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.juliesjournal.com/art/blogart/HomerChokingBart.jpg

This.