PDA

View Full Version : Classic Pioli Picks at #21

Direckshun
03-07-2011, 02:22 AM
This post was inspired by a pair of posters. Milkman and I went a couple rounds in a thread I created not too long ago about my ideal selection with the 21st overall pick (Houston), because the selection is admittedly not what Pioli is looking for. Milkman suggested that I exert my efforts towards players that Pioli definitely is looking for.

Operating with that constraint is difficult, in particular because Pioli and I have different priorities in drafting and it's disappointing to check out the players Pioli would be the most interested in.

The other poster is Hamas, who pinned the tail on the donkey in describing Pioli's preferences in drafting in the 1st, and just drafting in particular: he will almost always go with the player "with the highest floor."

So I am going to list 10 players that I think Pioli would be interested in, IN ORDER, from the player I would be most interested in (#1) to the player I would be least interested in (#10).

Players highly expected to go before the 21st pick, and therefore not mentioned here:

QB Cam Newton, Auburn
QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

WR AJ Green, Georgia
WR Julio Jones, Alabama

OT Tyron Smith, USC

DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama
DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
DE/OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
DE/OLB Robert Quinn, North Carolina
DE Cameron Jordan, California
DE/OLB Aldon Smith, Missouri
DE/OLB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
DT Corey Liuget, Illinois
DE J.J. Watt, Wisconsin

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska

On with the show:

1. NT Phil Taylor, Baylor

Why Taylor: Taylor came onto my radar in a manner much similar to Torell Troup last year. Troup was a blue collar guy from a subpar college program who's personal life all but groomed him into being a desperately passionate nose tackle. The Chiefs likely would have selected him with their "2b" choice. Now they get first dibs at a player who exhibits the same life story -- at this point, we all know it. Taylor, meanwhile, has shown tremendous discipline during draft season, losing at least 30 pounds and keeps talking about losing even more.

D's Grade: A-. We addressed an area of desperate need. I really like this kid a lot, and he has a ton of upside.

2. OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA

Why Ayers: Ayers' terrible showing at the Combine (4.8 40) all but guarantees the Chiefs will get their first crack at him. Ayers played a sophisticated range of positions at UCLA, making him a veritable jack of all trades. While he's not a game-changer in the mold of DJ or Hali, there's nothing he can't do: he can rush the passer, he can drop into coverage, he can play the run. He's very intelligent and was a team captain with great bloodlines.

D's Grade: B. Even if it's not the sackmaster I wanted at the other OLB position, at least it's a blue chip prospect. Ayers will never be a double-digit sack guy, but he won't embarrass himself in coverage and he'll be yet another sterling locker room presense.

3. WR Torrey Smith, Maryland

Why Smith: Smith is known as a tireless worker and a great teammate. He boasts tremendous speed (4.3 40) which the Chiefs obviously need opposite Dwayne Bowe. But Pioli has said himself that he prefers consistent players, players that will work hard day in and day out rather than in peaks and valleys. Smith, though a reach due to his rawness and his small hands, fits the bill.

D's Grade: B-. This is clearly a reach for two things: high character, and a desperate attempt to find a compliment for Bowe. Pioli has shown he will reach for high character, but ultimately Smith would be the first legit deep threat this team has had in a decade.

4. OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College

Why Castonzo: Castonzo is from Boston College, which ultimately seals the deal in the character department. He's agile enough to have a LT roof, but even if that fails to materialize, he could excel at RT. Castonzo is a lighter offensive lineman and works well in space, which fits in very well with the ZBS. He's also pretty much pro-ready with his technique. Scott Wright writes that he is a "fiery leader," which this unit will need after Waters moves on.

D's Grade: C+. With such big holes at receiver and in the front seven, I would not be terribly pleased with going offensive line. But of all the offensive line picks, Castonzo bothers me the least. Boston College prospects are gold hits almost every time. And Castonzo is a legit prospect at either RT or LT. You can literally mix and match Albert and he to determine who works best and where.

5. OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State

Why Sherrod: Yet another leader for the OL if Pioli believes we need one. Sherrod is a left tackle prospect through and through, his specialty is keeping the QB clean. Now, he doesn't have that great arm length you like to see, and he isn't a nasty smasher in the run game. But it's been rumored for three drafts now amongst Chief fans that Pioli wants Albert at RT with a blue chipper at LT. Sherrod would be our best bet with Tyron Smith off the board.

D's Grade: C+. Sherrod projects far more to the LT than he does to the RT. He's a pure pass blocker, which is all fine and dandy but that means he lacks Castonzo's (and Albert's) versatility. If Haley wants to make this a run-first team, Sherrod doesn't make a lot of sense because he's slightly above adequate as a run blocker. Nonetheless, if he pans out, Cassel would have two first rounders blocking for him, translating to a cleaner pocket.

6. ILB Martez Wilson, Illinois

Why Wilson: Wilson is more than the position moniker indicates. He is incredibly versatile and that would be the allure for Pioli and Crennel. He can punish and evade blockers at ILB, but he can also stand up offensive lineman like a 5-tech, and can blast around the edges as a situational rusher. He'll even play special teams if we ask him to. Everybody talks about Ayers' insane versatility making him a Chiefs prospect, methinks Wilson is a sleeper to keep an eye on for the exact same reason.

D's Grade: C-. I really like Wilson. The guy plays with a chip on his shoulder, and he is a true sideline-to-sideline player. His skillset is very similar to Derrick Johnson's, however, but he is a truly special bodytype that could play the thumper just as effectively. I would just regret spending a first on this position, ever. Steelers aside, you shouldn't spend 1sts on inside linebackers.

7. OG Mike Pouncey, Florida

Why Pouncey: Pouncey's probably the safest pick in the NFL Draft. If you select Pouncey, you may be picking up a center, but you're at least acquiring a punishing guard with elite bloodlines. Pouncey does benefit some from his brother's success in the NFL, but he exhibits his own brand of intelligence and, yes, leadership.

D's Grade: D+. A guard in the first round is enough to make me puke. I can't stand wasting top picks on positions of least importance like guards. Besides, we've already got a great guard in the wings in Jon Asamoah.

8. OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin

Why Carimi: If Pioli is truly on board with Haley's decision to commit this team as a run-first outfit, than Carimi shoots up his board. Carimi was part of Wisconsin's devastating, NFL-caliber run game. He's very polished, and despite his limited athleticism, he has gotten to where he is by being a tremendous worker.

D's Grade: D+. Selecting a RT in the first round is about as appealing as selecting a guard. Barry Richardson is still improving, and I have high hopes that he can continue to evolve -- he's a better athlete than Carimi anyway.

9. DE/DT Muhammed Wilkerson, Temple

Why Wilkerson: Wilkerson is a vastly underrated candidate by fans simply because he played for Temple. What they must notice are the insane numbers he put up at Temple. What's more, many of those stats were in the backfield. Wilkerson is not a stud passrusher, but he can at least get to the QB. At this point, the Chiefs do not have a starting DE who can.

D's Grade: D-. Too soon to forfeit our investments on Dorsey and Jackson. Dorsey has come into his own, and Jackson came to life in the last month of the season. They need to develop a passrush soon, though, or a pick like this might be necessary.

10. CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado

Why Smith: Pioli holds no allegiance to Brandon Carr, much as we all think he should. It's possible that if Carr demands a payday next offseason, Pioli would know about it now. Smith would be his insurance -- Flowers and Arenas are both good corners but both are shorter. Smith presents a truly tall corner that can opt in for tight ends as well, allowing more versatility for Crennel's schemes.

D's Grade: F. Not only are the Chiefs already stacked up front at the CB position (although they could use some backend depth), I'm not entirely sure Jimmy Smith is that great of a prospect. Smith simply wasn't even challenged in 2010, as QBs had all day with Colorado's anemic passrush, and simply passed it to a wide open receiver 10 seconds later. I don't think Smith has truly been challenged, and has bust potential.

Saccopoo
03-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Nice post Direckshun.

I like the mention of the two dark horses of Wilkerson and Smith.

Dorsey, while improved in 2010, had more than one game where he was invisible. Beadles thoroughly dominated him. I wonder if the Chiefs are going to see any more out of him than he showed last season. If not, the front office is probably going to look at bringing in/drafting another five tech in this next draft. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

Carr was also improved in 2010, but his play is sporadic. There are times when he looks great, and then other times he's getting absolutely torched. Rather than Smith in the first, if the guy is available, I wouldn't mind the Chiefs spending their second round pick on Ras-I Dowling out of Virginia.

I also doubt that Costanzo gets past New England at 17, but he's got the most versatility of all the OT's in this draft. Carimi is not the pass blocker that Costanzo is, but he's an absolutely dominant run blocker. If they go with a tackle at 21, it's going to come down to which tackle they are tired of seeing suck the most between Albert and Richardson. I think that any of the top tier tackles in this draft would provide an immediate upgrade to either spot.

As far as receivers go, Smith is eh. He looked rough in the drills and his footwork coming out of his breaks was really choppy and his 40 time wasn't that impressive for a guy who was supposed to be blazingly fast. He looks more to be a project than a guy that they can just plug in and get immediate production from. If they are looking at a receiver at that spot Jon Baldwin or Hankerson would be a better alternative, though I'm not sure that they give you anything over someone like Austin Pettis in the second or third round.

Chiefnj2
03-07-2011, 08:03 AM
The only real drawback on Smith (Colorado) is his off field issues.

On field he's a really good bump and run corner, although his tackling isn't as good as his coverage.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Db4x3KRlZEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah, Pioli is going to invest a first rounder in a guy with multiple off the field issues, including several failed drug tests, to replace Carr, who was our best CB last year.

Chris Meck
03-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I didn't see Carr as inconsistent at all. All corners occasionally get beat, it's the nature of the position. I saw Carr as improving nearly every game all season.

Chiefnj2
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd still like to know what "classic Pioli" picks are.

All I read last year before the draft was that Pioli wouldn't take a Safety in the top 10. Nobody guessed that he would go with McCluster and Arenas in the 2nd, and the year before (until Brandt broke the story) nobody on the Planet was guessing T Jax.

Urc Burry
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I didn't see Carr as inconsistent at all. All corners occasionally get beat, it's the nature of the position. I saw Carr as improving nearly every game all season.

Yeah, Carr arguably had a better second half of the season then Flowers

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd still like to know what "classic Pioli" picks are.

I don't think that anyone knows the answer to that question, other than the fact that he likes team leaders and stand-up citizens above all else.

The Bad Guy
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice post Direckshun.

I like the mention of the two dark horses of Wilkerson and Smith.

Dorsey, while improved in 2010, had more than one game where he was invisible. Beadles thoroughly dominated him. I wonder if the Chiefs are going to see any more out of him than he showed last season. If not, the front office is probably going to look at bringing in/drafting another five tech in this next draft. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

Carr was also improved in 2010, but his play is sporadic. There are times when he looks great, and then other times he's getting absolutely torched. Rather than Smith in the first, if the guy is available, I wouldn't mind the Chiefs spending their second round pick on Ras-I Dowling out of Virginia.

I also doubt that Costanzo gets past New England at 17, but he's got the most versatility of all the OT's in this draft. Carimi is not the pass blocker that Costanzo is, but he's an absolutely dominant run blocker. If they go with a tackle at 21, it's going to come down to which tackle they are tired of seeing suck the most between Albert and Richardson. I think that any of the top tier tackles in this draft would provide an immediate upgrade to either spot.

As far as receivers go, Smith is eh. He looked rough in the drills and his footwork coming out of his breaks was really choppy and his 40 time wasn't that impressive for a guy who was supposed to be blazingly fast. He looks more to be a project than a guy that they can just plug in and get immediate production from. If they are looking at a receiver at that spot Jon Baldwin or Hankerson would be a better alternative, though I'm not sure that they give you anything over someone like Austin Pettis in the second or third round.

Jesus mother of fucking god. Carr sporadic? You criticize Dorsey because he had one bad game?

Yes, by all means, let's draft that dime cornerback when we have issues at OLB, MLB and NT above all else.

It's like Saccobullshit likes to play Devil's advocate every minute he's on this message board.

DJ's left nut
03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah, Carr arguably had a better second half of the season then Flowers

Arguably?

I'd like to see anyone argue otherwise.

Carr smoked Flowers over the 2nd half of the season last year. Was Flowers playing hurt? Probably, but that doesn't really change the fact that Carr was more effective than he was; just excuses it.

Saccopoo
03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Jesus mother of ****ing god. Carr sporadic? You criticize Dorsey because he had one bad game?

Yes, by all means, let's draft that dime cornerback when we have issues at OLB, MLB and NT above all else.

It's like Saccobullshit likes to play Devil's advocate every minute he's on this message board.

What issue do we have at MLB?

milkman
03-08-2011, 07:21 AM
I don't think that anyone knows the answer to that question, other than the fact that he likes team leaders and stand-up citizens above all else.

He also like guys with versatility.

Chiefshrink
03-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah, Pioli is going to invest a first rounder in a guy with multiple off the field issues, including several failed drug tests, to replace Carr, who was our best CB last year.

This!!

Chiefshrink
03-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I want Phil Taylor !

BossChief
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Guys, Phil Taylor is a similar player to Cody last year...who we passed on 3 times. I doubt we would take Taylor even in the second. Seems to me like a guy that will disappear until a contract year and after payday he disapears again. Simply put, if we didn't draft Cody at 51, we aren't gonna draft Taylor at 21.

If we draft any corners before the fourth (at earliest) someone should be slipped an aids cocktail.

Costanzo gets pushed around, But I could see it.

I could see Carimi or Pouncey being the pick and at21 either would be solid

Tribal Warfare
03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Guys, Phil Taylor is a similar player to Cody last year...who we passed on 3 times. I doubt we would take Taylor even in the second. Seems to me like a guy that will disappear until a contract year and after payday he disapears again. Simply put, if we didn't draft Cody at 51, we aren't gonna draft Taylor at 21.

I disagree, Cody didn't even try to get in shape during the combine and Taylor's teammates have said that he's been busting his ass ever since he came to Baylor.

The Bad Guy
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM
What issue do we have at MLB?

So you think Carr is inconsistent and Dorsey is as well, but you think Belcher is an ideal ILB?

Get fucked.

The Bad Guy
03-08-2011, 03:19 PM
I disagree, Cody didn't even try to get in shape during the combine and Taylor's teammates have said that he's been busting his ass ever since he came to Baylor.

That's all well and good, but the Baylor interior defense was so awful.

Chiefnj2
03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
The big problem with Taylor is that he didn't play like a 1st round pick while he was at Baylor. Until the Senior Bowl practices he was regarded as a 3rd rounder. Upgrading a player from the early 3rd to mid 1st round is a big risk.

Bewbies
03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
The big problem with Taylor is that he didn't play like a 1st round pick while he was at Baylor. Until the Senior Bowl practices he was regarded as a 3rd rounder. Upgrading a player from the early 3rd to mid 1st round is a big risk.

We have no idea where Taylor is valued by the people who actually make draft picks. They may see him as a first, or as a 5th, but how they see him has nothing to do with how Mel Kiper or some other drafturbator does.

Chiefnj2
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
We have no idea where Taylor is valued by the people who actually make draft picks. They may see him as a first, or as a 5th, but how they see him has nothing to do with how Mel Kiper or some other drafturbator does.

You are right, all it takes is one GM to feel differently about a player. But, for the most part, the guys who get paid to express their opinions are reasonably reliable.

Bewbies
03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
You are right, all it takes is one GM to feel differently about a player. But, for the most part, the guys who get paid to express their opinions are reasonably reliable.

I tend to think we'll be drafting along the D-line in the first, if we have a 1st round pick. Who knows? I can't point to any players that would likely be around at 21 that are can't miss, must draft, if available type guys.

Maybe one of the QB's falls and someone wants to jump up and grab them? Or one of the DE's...

salame
03-08-2011, 04:33 PM
carimi is a monster

Saccopoo
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
So you think Carr is inconsistent and Dorsey is as well, but you think Belcher is an ideal ILB?

Get ****ed.

Wow. That's a lot of animosity built up right there for Jovan. What's the root of that I wonder?

Yeah, I think Belcher had a pretty good year. He did what he was supposed to do in plug the run and was very effective in taking on blockers. He showed nice strength and the willingness to get into the offensive line in order to make a play. He tackled hard and showed good instincts in diagnosing/following the play. I think he played as well as one could expect from a second year player in a brand new system.

I'm curious as to your opinion regarding his play in 2010 since you obviously have some misgivings about him as a player.

SAUTO
03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Can't believe ANYONE, no matter their agenda, would say or think carr needs replaced.

If he wants paid then pay him god dammit.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
For the 1st time in a LONG time, no one in out secondary needs to be replaced. The group of Flowers, Berry, Lewis, Carr, and Arenas have to be one of the best secondaries in the league.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frankie
03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I'd have no problem with Phil Taylor as our 1st rounder. If we don't get him it looks like we might get Powe in the 2nd.

Chris Meck
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm liking Powe in the 2nd, personally.

Frankie
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm liking Powe in the 2nd, personally.

Like I said. I would like either scenario. I wonder what the rest of the posters think.

Frankie
03-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Guys, Phil Taylor is a similar player to Cody last year...who we passed on 3 times.Did you see Cody's man-boobs? :eek: I doubt PT is that similar.

I could see Carimi or Pouncey being the pick and at21 either would be solidThose are good picks too in the first IMO as long as we get Powe in the 2nd.

Frankie
03-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Maybe one of the QB's falls and someone wants to jump up and grab them? Or one of the DE's...

I doubt Pioli will create a situation where Cassel will keep looking over his shoulder all the time. Not this year, at least. If we pick a QB it'll probably be in 4 through 7.

Frankie
03-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I think Belcher had a pretty good year. He did what he was supposed to do in plug the run and was very effective in taking on blockers. He showed nice strength and the willingness to get into the offensive line in order to make a play. He tackled hard and showed good instincts in diagnosing/following the play. I think he played as well as one could expect from a second year player in a brand new system.

I'm curious as to your opinion regarding his play in 2010 since you obviously have some misgivings about him as a player.

Belcher is good, but not great. Eventually his position will be upgraded. We also have last year's pre-season LB wonder we lost to injury right before the season, whose name escapes me now. He was an ILB wasn't he? If he is we may not draft an ILB until next year, unless someone falls and become the steal of the draft at a lower round.

Tribal Warfare
03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Belcher is good, but not great. Eventually his position will be upgraded. We also have last year's pre-season LB wonder we lost to injury right before the season, whose name escapes me now. He was an ILB wasn't he? If he is we may not draft an ILB until next year, unless someone falls and become the steal of the draft at a lower round.

Sheffield is an OLB

Chris Meck
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
I think Ayers makes sense; he's a 'Right 53' type guy, he's a well rounded player (which is what you'd like at the SSOLB spot)...I'm not worried about an iffy combine. He plays football well, as the tape says.
Give Me Ayers in the first and Powe in the 2nd and I'm gettin' happy.

Frankie
03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Sheffield is an OLB

Thanks, as I was typing that post I started remembering that, but I still wasn't entirely sure.

Bewbies
03-09-2011, 12:17 AM
I doubt Pioli will create a situation where Cassel will keep looking over his shoulder all the time. Not this year, at least. If we pick a QB it'll probably be in 4 through 7.

QB available that someone else would like to draft, allowing us to move back.

Tribal Warfare
03-09-2011, 12:28 AM
another thing to think about is the Jets, Houston, and Washington will be looking at DTs also. We have to remember if KC waits too long the Chiefs may lose out on the NTs they are targeting.

Chiefnj2
03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
KC could pursue Gabe Watson from AZ if the draft doesn't fall their way in terms of NT's in the draft. Rotate Watson and Smith for the year.

the Talking Can
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM
nice thread, you win the draft forum

i generally agree with your reasoning on the picks

i just can't get excited about this draft, I'm not as familiar with the players as last year, and they all seem to have some gaping question about either their fit on our schemes or their fit in positional priorities (a RT over a rush backer? do you judge the position or the player)

NT - I've been screaming for one for a couple years, and now when we might actually take one I'm not excited about the options

QB - get over it, we aren't taking one before the 5th

OLB - Houston will be an animal in the right, limited scheme...but in ours?
Ayers...does he do anything great, or just lots of things well? hard to be excited about the latter even if he's a good player...

DE - oh jesus....we just should have taken Raji, then we could get a DE late in the first with every bit the potential of Jackson...this just stirs up bad memories and anger

WR - Smith, Baldwin? I don't know, do they excite you? I just shrug my shoulders...

there's no sex appeal in these players, no OMG talent....which leads us to

OL- ugh.....yeah, just make the pick and don't tell me about it....I can't spend all pre-draft trying to get excited about a RT....

am I stuck in a K-Mart? Where's the Target Draft happening?

The Bad Guy
03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
I think Ayers makes sense; he's a 'Right 53' type guy, he's a well rounded player (which is what you'd like at the SSOLB spot)...I'm not worried about an iffy combine. He plays football well, as the tape says.
Give Me Ayers in the first and Powe in the 2nd and I'm gettin' happy.

Every single UCLA game I watched, and I watched 4 last year, Ayers was about as underwhelming of a player as you can get.

His youtube videos are all a big bowl of 'meh' as well.

Frankie
03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
QB available that someone else would like to draft, allowing us to move back.

OK. I guess I mis-read your post.

The Franchise
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Brooks Reed, OLB/DE, University of Arizona.

BossChief
03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Every single UCLA game I watched, and I watched 4 last year, Ayers was about as underwhelming of a player as you can get.

His youtube videos are all a big bowl of 'meh' as well.
and I dont think he can cover at the next level as effectively as some hope with 4.8 speed.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him last till the first part of the second round.

Chris Meck
03-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Ricki Stanzi in the 4th?:shrug:

Chiefs=Champions
03-09-2011, 07:06 PM

wouldnt mind this too much. if your going to reach for a player...

Chiefnj2
03-09-2011, 09:08 PM

He had the fastest 10 yard split of all the DE's and OLB's.

the Talking Can
03-09-2011, 09:45 PM
really hope we trade down and grab an extra pick....then you can even 'reach' a bit if you need to...

Tribal Warfare
03-10-2011, 02:30 AM
Another thing to keep in mind concerning Studebaker, Pioli's mantra has been developing young talent which would include Andy.