PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Starch Madness: Subway Overtakes McDonalds With 5-Footer

orange
03-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Subway Passes McDonald's To Become The World's Largest Restaurant Chain

The Huffington Post Dean Praetorius First Posted: 03/ 7/11 04:12 PM Updated: 03/ 7/11 05:12 PM

McDonald's is no longer the world's largest restaurant chain. That honor now goes to Subway.

The sandwich giant just passed the golden arches in terms of number of locations, according to the Wall Street Journal. Subway had 33,749 restaurants open worldwide at the end of 2010.

McDonald's had just 32,737 locations open by the same point, the corporation disclosed in SEC filings.

According to the WSJ, the chain just opened its 1000th location in Asia, and sees international growth as the future.

Subway, which opened its first international restaurant in 1984, in Bahrain, expects its number of international restaurants to exceed its domestic ones by 2020, says Don Fertman, Subway's Chief Development Officer. The chain currently has just over 24,000 restaurants in the U.S., where it generated $10.5 billion of its $15.2 billion in revenue last year.

The $5 dollar footlong did a lot to fuel Subway's recent growth, according to Bloomberg, and spending a large amount on advertising while rapidly opening shops using a franchise model similar to McDonald's has allowed them to grow quickly.

But don't be surprised if McDonald's comes battling back. The fast-food giant also has a keen eye for international growth, and expansion in Asia, including India.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/07/worlds-largest-restaurant-chain-subway_n_832511.html

Phobia
03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Just goes to show you that people will pay money for crap.

Gonzo
03-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I've always liked Subway. Foot long cold cut on italian herb is good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I'd rather have Goodcents or Lenny's in Lenexa

BigMeatballDave
03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm not crazy about Subway, but they're a shitton better than McD.

BigMeatballDave
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I'd rather have Goodcents or Lenny's in LenexaI miss Mr. Goodcents. That was my lunch on Sundays during football season.

blaise
03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Subway doesn't make a great sub, but they make an ok sub that will do now and again. And I know people will say, "That's not a deli sub, etc." I realize that. I'm talking about chain subs. With them it mostly depends on how fresh their bread is. If it's fresh they're ok, if the bread is at all stale it gets real crappy.

Saul Good
03-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Has anyone from the KC area ever been to Fritz's on 103rd and State Line next to Gates? $3.99 for a half sandwich that weighs about 5 pounds.

Predarat
03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Subway is what it is, a decent cheap sub. I miss Mr Goodcents as well, that was a helluva sub! In Nashville we have Jersey Mikes, similar to Mr Goodcents but not quite as good.

KC Jones
03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm not crazy about Subway, but they're a shitton better than McD.

This.

KC Jones
03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
**** all this missing Mr. Goodcents bullshit. It was just another cheap ass fast food deli. You want to miss a deli, miss New York Bakery and Delicatessen on Troost...

http://www.savethedeli.com/2009/05/01/ny-bakery-and-delicatessen-in-kansas-city-is-closed/

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwoosS2Nljg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwoosS2Nljg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

... or George's Cheese and Sausage shop on Main.

Those were real ****ing deli's.

jspchief
03-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I used to like Subway, but their veggies aren't fresh anymore. Tired of getting sandwiches covered with nasty, slimy lettuce

bowener
03-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Good God, man! That's 66,486 pieces of shit!

bobbymitch
03-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I must be missin sumptin. Bread that is a couple of days old, a V section sliced out of the top with the meat, cheese, and fixin's loaded on top. I just can't get into Subway samitches'.

At least at Mr- Goodcents, the bread was soft.

BigMeatballDave
03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I must be missin sumptin. Bread that is a couple of days old, a V section sliced out of the top with the meat, cheese, and fixin's loaded on top. I just can't get into Subway samitches'.

At least at Mr- Goodcents, the bread was soft.They quit doing the V section.

ClevelandBronco
03-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Can't eat it. It's not even good bad food.

|Zach|
03-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Not a fan of Subway. I prefer McDonalds to it. Sandwhich wise I like Goodcents and Quizons but Quiznos is known to have some bad days when I go in.

Aside from the food Subway employees always seem like fucking assholes.

Bearcat
03-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd much rather have Planet Sub, Da'Bronx, or even Quiznos... too many good choices to settle on Subway, IMO.

I worked in City Center Square about 5 years ago, which was probably the last time I had either Subway or Mr Goodcents. Subway was fine, I guess... and maybe it was just that particular Mr Goodcents, but I didn't like it at all.

|Zach|
03-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd much rather have Planet Sub, Da'Bronx, or even Quiznos... too many good choices to settle on Subway, IMO.

I worked in City Center Square about 5 years ago, which was probably the last time I had either Subway or Mr Goodcents. Subway was fine, I guess... and maybe it was just that particular Mr Goodcents, but I didn't like it at all.

J Bomb at D'Bronx. Love it.

Sure-Oz
03-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Lenny's in Lenexa is awesome if anyone is near 87th st. Addicted to their Italian or Club, and they have this hot pepper relish that is awesome

Chiefs Pantalones
03-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Subway is an ok sub. It's not always fresh but at least it's healthy. The only people I know of that prefer McD's to Subway are fat people.

DTLB58
03-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Not a fan of Subway. I prefer McDonalds to it. Sandwhich wise I like Goodcents and Quizons but Quiznos is known to have some bad days when I go in.

Aside from the food Subway employees always seem like ****ing assholes.

Compared to McD's employee's?
Holy crap....All the Golden arches workers here are like Walmart workers. They look bored, uninspired, could give a crap if you are satisfied or not and when asking is it break time or can I go home?

|Zach|
03-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Compared to McD's employee's?
Holy crap....All the Golden arches workers here are like Walmart workers. They look bored, uninspired, could give a crap if you are satisfied or not and when asking is it break time or can I go home?

Yes. Compared to them. The subway employees I have run into have actual contempt for customers.