PDA

View Full Version : Life What a Long Strange Trip it's been

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I swear to God this is the worst economic situation that any of us will face in our lifetime. It's just brutal out there, still. Never in my almost 34 years of life on this planet have I ever had a hard time finding a job. I'm good at what I do, and my resume backs it up. For the last year and 3 months I have been unemployed and freaking out. Tried this and that, here and there, and nothing seemed to work for me.

Determined to get out of the field I was in, I moved halfway across the country to Springfield, MO knowing full well that my level of expertise was just not in demand out here. I know times are tough, and people are lucky to have jobs but if you're positively miserable in your day to day existence, what's the fucking point? We haven't starved. We've paid our rent every month. It's been a scratch, kick, and claw existence, but to some degree that can be good for the soul.

Anyways, I ramble. I'm excited. I got a job today. It's not glamorous. It's not glorious, but motherfuck I can pay my bills, and look at myself in the mirror every day while I do it. And while it may not be glamorous, it is in the top establishment in town for it's field. I'll make close to 50k a year doing a not so glamorous job, and frankly, I can live with that.

So congratulate me. I'm Hootie. I'm waiting tables for a fine dining establishment. And I give not a fuck, because Goddammit, I can pay my bills again. What else really matters?

Bugeater
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!

Buck
03-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Congrats.

Do you get free bread and shit like that?

joesomebody
03-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Congrats sir. I'm with you. I just graduated in December and having a tough time finding meaningful work. I feel blessed to have a job, the same job I've had as a part time job while I was in college. I get a lot more hours now that I have open availability, and I'm making ends meet. I've never been this broke from a disposable income point of view in my entire life. I've also never been without a job for more than 3 months since I was 14. I'm working now, just not exactly making it rain anything but ramen noodles.

wutamess
03-07-2011, 11:13 PM
:thumb:

Hammock Parties
03-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Sweet, you can serve me next time I'm in town.

Phobia
03-07-2011, 11:15 PM
I've had glamorous jobs that paid a lot of money. Frankly, I wasn't happy. So, I have a non-glamorous job that pays piddle-fart nada and I'm mostly happy. I've learned not to identify so much what I do for a living because it doesn't matter as much as what I do for life.

luv
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!

LMAO

luv
03-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Anywhere near the Landing?

crazycoffey
03-07-2011, 11:21 PM
congrats flops, nothing but the best for you.

pr_capone
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Grats broseph!

Rain Man
03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Congrats on continuing to swim in a swim-or-dog-eat-sinking-dog world right now.

You moved halfway across the country to Springfield? No offense, but...why Springfield?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Anywhere near the Landing?

Nope. Right on the strip. I'll give you details.

Congrats on continuing to swim in a swim-or-dog-eat-sinking-dog world right now.

You moved halfway across the country to Springfield? No offense, but...why Springfield?

I love it here. I lived here 13 years ago, and the people here are awesome. They're who I strive to be. They're from everywhere but here. They just want something that life couldn't provide them from where they're from. They inevitably go back, but I'm not. I have my family, and that's all I need. Where I'm at doesn't matter as long as I have the people that matter most. This won't last forever. But right now, it is just fine. It will make me happy. Nothing is better than that.

BigMeatballDave
03-07-2011, 11:41 PM
:thumb: Congrats, Flop!

Hootie
03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
good

when I move to KC when my life crashes down before me (like it inevitably will) I'll have a good friend to get me a job!

R&GHomer
03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Congrats:thumb:

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2011, 11:45 PM
good

when I move to KC when my life crashes down before me (like it inevitably will) I'll have a good friend to get me a job!

I honestly think you'd love it here. You have no shame in what you do, and neither do I. If we can live with our day to day existence, fuck everyone else. But you already get that. And yeah, I'll get you a job here any day of the week. You'd love it.

WV
03-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Congrats!

Hootie
03-07-2011, 11:47 PM
and fuck everyone who wants to bash the industry...

I've met dozens and dozens of life long friends, I've been through many a girlfriend (good and bad), and have had a ton of great life experiences in the restaurant industry.

Also, it's not like it's out of the norm, Flop. When I worked in Chicago (away from campuses) the average age of our serving staff was 30-35...

My roommate and I (at 22) were the two youngest people there...

We may have to wait on people and take orders and maybe people don't respect that...but I was done being ashamed of what I do for a living a long time ago.

I make more than a lot of people with so called "respectable" jobs so fuck 'em.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2011, 11:48 PM
I honestly think you'd love it here. You have no shame in what you do, and neither do I. If we can live with our day to day existence, fuck everyone else. But you already get that. And yeah, I'll get you a job here any day of the week. You'd love it.

By the way Hootie, I'm working in Branson which is like 200 miles south of KC, so you'll have a ways to go if you're moving to KC.

kysirsoze
03-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Nice! Waiting tables can certainly be humbling and make you lose some faith in your fellow man, but for good money and short hours, it's hard to beat. Fine dining's the best, too, if you can mind the details.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2011, 11:49 PM
and fuck everyone who wants to bash the industry...

I've met dozens and dozens of life long friends, I've been through many a girlfriend (good and bad), and have had a ton of great life experiences in the restaurant industry.

Also, it's not like it's out of the norm, Flop. When I worked in Chicago (away from campuses) the average age of our serving staff was 30-35...

My roommate and I (at 22) were the two youngest people there...

We may have to wait on people and take orders and maybe people don't respect that...but I was done being ashamed of what I do for a living a long time ago.

I make more than a lot of people with so called "respectable" jobs so fuck 'em.

I give not a fuck dude, I swear to God. I love the job, at least I did 12 years ago and I have no reason to believe I won't now. Fuck it, man. I like taking good care of people. It makes me feel good.

Hootie
03-07-2011, 11:53 PM
By the way Hootie, I'm working in Branson which is like 200 miles south of KC, so you'll have a ways to go if you're moving to KC.

I have been to Branson...back when I was 16 and went on a road trip with my dad when he was on business...

Got to take the car (when I first got my license) and hit up some cool places while he was meeting with clients...big leap of faith for the old man to trust me with the keys to his Lexus in Branson when I couldn't drive worth a shit.

Tourist town, right? Can't argue with that...the more business, the more hours, the faster the shifts, the more $$$...

Dunit35
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Congrats bud!!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I have been to Branson...back when I was 16 and went on a road trip with my dad when he was on business...

Got to take the car (when I first got my license) and hit up some cool places while he was meeting with clients...big leap of faith for the old man to trust me with the keys to his Lexus in Branson when I couldn't drive worth a shit.

Tourist town, right? Can't argue with that...the more business, the more hours, the faster the shifts, the more $$$...

Yeah. I got my cousin a job at the place I'm working 12 years ago. The most he made in 1 shift is $700. People can talk shit about that as much as they want. He bought himself a 3000GT working this job, and that was over a decade ago. People want to talk shit, let them. It's good fucking money.

Hootie
03-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Nice! Waiting tables can certainly be humbling and make you lose some faith in your fellow man, but for good money and short hours, it's hard to beat. Fine dining's the best, too, if you can mind the details.

this is kind of what happened to me...

I grew up in the industry...I was 19 when I started waiting tables and I was coming off a hard breakup with my girlfriend of 4 years (all through high school) and my self-esteem was at all all-time low...

Waiting on people has made me feel better and better and better about myself...

when I worked in Chicago I waited on so many terrible, awful, uncivilized people it always made me think, "wow, if I thought I had it bad...geez!"

It doesn't humble me at all, it makes me more confident as a human being.

Met so many people, have made so many friends over the years...

you can fall into the trap like I did...I know if I'm still doing this where I'm at now when I'm 30 I'm going to turn from the "cool older guy" to the "weird creepy old dude"...

so yeah, shelf life is short on campus

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
this is kind of what happened to me...

I grew up in the industry...I was 19 when I started waiting tables and I was coming off a hard breakup with my girlfriend of 4 years (all through high school) and my self-esteem was at all all-time low...

Waiting on people has made me feel better and better and better about myself...

when I worked in Chicago I waited on so many terrible, awful, uncivilized people it always made me think, "wow, if I thought I had it bad...geez!"

It doesn't humble me at all, it makes me more confident as a human being.

Met so many people, have made so many friends over the years...

you can fall into the trap like I did...I know if I'm still doing this where I'm at now when I'm 30 I'm going to turn from the "cool older guy" to the "weird creepy old dude"...

so yeah, shelf life is short on campus

Heh, I'm almost 34 so be careful bro.

Hootie
03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah. I got my cousin a job at the place I'm working 12 years ago. The most he made in 1 shift is $700. People can talk shit about that as much as they want. He bought himself a 3000GT working this job, and that was over a decade ago. People want to talk shit, let them. It's good ****ing money.

yep

Where I live the cost of living is very cheap...

Pay day was today...looked at my pay period...84 hours (5 overtime) and $1700 (before taxes of course) in two weeks time...and that's claiming 85% of my tips (approx) and not including my other job that I work every Thursday night.

Not every week is that good, and some weeks are better...

but fuck man...yeah I'll never be rich but for being a degenerate P.O.S. student and only 25 I'm not doing too shabby.

Hootie
03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Heh, I'm almost 34 so be careful bro.

I'm talking about campus waiting...

We have a staff of about 15...

full timers are me (25), another guy (32) and another guy (23)...

everyone else is 19-22

Hootie
03-08-2011, 12:04 AM
city waiting is different...

you go to a city like Branson, or Chicago, or any vacation place or big city...

and the average age is probably 30+

Just Passin' By
03-08-2011, 12:06 AM
So congratulate me. I'm Hootie. I'm waiting tables for a fine dining establishment. And I give not a ****, because Goddammit, I can pay my bills again. What else really matters?

I never understood why people bag on other people's jobs (except when joking), and I'm glad you've found one. Good luck with it.

pr_capone
03-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I waited tables for 4 months when I was 20. I don't have the temperament for it. People are fucking rude as hell to waiters. I can completely understand the desire to spit in peoples food.

I never did it... but I can understand why someone would.

-King-
03-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Congrats. A job is a job. If you're putting food on the table and paying bills, who cares what kind of job it is?

BTW...watch out for Dane...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 12:12 AM
I waited tables for 4 months when I was 20. I don't have the temperament for it. People are fucking rude as hell to waiters. I can completely understand the desire to spit in peoples food.

I never did it... but I can understand why someone would.

I can totally get with this. It can be a difficult job. People just don't get under my skin like that. I understand the human condition. I have no problem treating them like royalty. That's what they really want, and I'm good with it.

Reaper16
03-08-2011, 12:16 AM
No shame in being part of the wait staff at a fine dining restaurant. In fact, just the opposite: pride. The wait staff is a critical part of the success of a restaurant, and also of the enjoyment of the diner. I love good waiters so much.

Hootie
03-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't let people get to me very often...where I work now there is just never any complaints...the BOH is just mistake free and the product is famous for generations that went to the university...

so the tips are always 20%+...always

I pull in 25% on a consistent basis...every shift, every time

In all honesty, I think it's ridiculous. I know I'm overpaid.

That said 80% of the people I've ever worked with just aren't wired for the work...most people aren't. You have to have the ability to adjust to the customer...and you have to have common sense and you have to be a multi-tasker.

It's not rocket science or anything...but it does take talent to be good at the job regardless of what people want to say. The people who bash it are the people who have never spent a day working in the industry. That's fine.

|Zach|
03-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I had a blast working at one of the country clubs in Springfield. Made money and had fun.

DaFace
03-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Nice work, man. It's been a long time coming. Kudos for sticking with it for this long, and best of luck in the new gig!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't let people get to me very often...where I work now there is just never any complaints...the BOH is just mistake free and the product is famous for generations that went to the university...

so the tips are always 20%+...always

I pull in 25% on a consistent basis...every shift, every time

In all honesty, I think it's ridiculous. I know I'm overpaid.

That said 80% of the people I've ever worked with just aren't wired for the work...most people aren't. You have to have the ability to adjust to the customer...and you have to have common sense and you have to be a multi-tasker.

It's not rocket science or anything...but it does take talent to be good at the job regardless of what people want to say. The people who bash it are the people who have never spent a day working in the industry. That's fine.

People can say whatever they want about you, when it comes to this industry as someone who has experience, I say, you get it. Few people do, and that's why you make money. It's all about the big picture, and very few people understand that.

|Zach|
03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
For Dragon and Flop...

http://waiterrant.net/?p=90

Hootie
03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
personally, I would love to parlay the knowledge I've acquired over the years into starting my own restaurant/bar...

but that's a pipe dream at this point

and yeah yeah, I know...90% failure rate etc. etc. etc.

I still think I could do it with great success.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 12:38 AM
For Dragon and Flop...

http://waiterrant.net/?p=90

LMAO Loved it.

Gonzo
03-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Good for you Flop. I'm happy for you bro!
I know it's been tough. You and I both lost our jobs around the same time. I got lucky and found work within a few months and you've busted ass for nearly 2 years.
I hope you end up loving it and doing well, man.
It's rough out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Congrats. A job is a job. If you're putting food on the table and paying bills, who cares what kind of job it is?

BTW...watch out for Dane...

ROFL, I just want to say that Dane would request me the next time he came into my establishment. :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Hootie and Flopnuts to star in Cocktail 2: The Legend of Callahan's Cock

Thig Lyfe
03-08-2011, 01:13 AM
personally, I would love to parlay the knowledge I've acquired over the years into starting my own restaurant/bar...

Just find somebody with a rich dad and just use the bar as home base for wacky adventures a la It's Always Sunny.

DaneMcCloud
03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Congratulations, Dude! I hope you find both success and happiness in your new gig!

And FWIW, peeps, I don't flip Hootie shit because of his job or his income or anything related.

I flip Hootie shit because he's Hootie.

:D

Thig Lyfe
03-08-2011, 01:32 AM
A couple years ago I read an article in the New York Times about how it was statistically more likely for somebody to get into Harvard than to get a job at an Applebee's in the Bronx. So you're pretty much a genius.

Saccopoo
03-08-2011, 01:58 AM
What? You couldn't find a job in 15 months?

You fucking slacker.

Big Daddy says that everyone can find a job regardless of the economic situation and make 3/4 of what their dad made when he retired when they phone the want ad for the very first time.

On a side note, congrats Flop. Any work is honorable in this economy.

KCChiefsMan
03-08-2011, 02:24 AM
were you one of the fucks that used to make fun of me for waiting tables to pay for my college education? I don't know if you were or not, but there were many here that did. It's an honest living that will drive you into insanity and alcoholism, but it also comes with a lifestyle of heavy drinking, sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Phobia
03-08-2011, 03:04 AM
If you ever see David Glass & Co walk into the restaurant, run. Had a friend wait on them last weekend at a very high end Plaza establishment and he didn't tip worth a crap.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-08-2011, 03:55 AM
You're a lucky dude. Do you know how many people wish they had the opportunity to spit in peoples food without them suspecting it ? I Envy.

Fritz88
03-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Happy news. Good luck bro.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-08-2011, 05:11 AM
If I could do it over, I'd get into the industry rather than go to college right away. I graduated and realized that I don't want to do anything. I have a job, but it's worthless.... And I don't make as much as a waiter/bartender.

J Diddy
03-08-2011, 05:13 AM
If I could do it over, I'd get into the industry rather than go to college right away. I graduated and realized that I don't want to do anything. I have a job, but it's worthless.... And I don't make as much as a waiter/bartender.
but yet you run your mouth as if it has substantial worth

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Jesus, you're a train wreck.

J Diddy
03-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Jesus, you're a train wreck.

Nope it's douche season. I got my sites all lined up.

Chief Pote
03-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Congrats Flop. We dine out often. The restaurant staff can make the experience either a painful event OR they can make the evening flow smoothly. Both extremes get noticed and discussed at our table. This type of work is no different than any other career, do well on the job and you'll make a lot of people happy and you'll make a lot of money. :thumb:

NewChief
03-08-2011, 05:37 AM

Two of this town's most successful, up-and-coming restaurateurs started out waiting and bartending. Both of them now own multiple establishments and have founded a franchise a piece. It's bizarre, because I remember them slinging me drinks and staying up 'til dawn shitfaced together... and now they're in the society pages.

NewChief
03-08-2011, 05:39 AM

We go to Branson periodically (but we usually don't eat out because we're staying at Big Cedar most of the time and cooking in our condo). We do go to Cantina Laredo on occasion, though. Next time we go, I may have to find out where you're waiting and look you up.

bevischief
03-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Congrats.

Mr. Plow
03-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Congrats man!!

doomy3
03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Congrats on the new gig, Floppy!

milkman
03-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Mr. HootieNuts?

It's about time your lazy ass went to work.

MOhillbilly
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Congrats Nuts! For real dude couldnt be happier for ya.

Old Dog
03-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Congrats.
Doesn't sound like a bad job money wise, but even if it was, having a job you enjoy doing makes a heck of a lot more sense than having one that will fatten your bank account while making you miserable.

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 08:50 AM
JPII:

On the basis of these illuminations emanating from the Source Himself, the Church has always proclaimed what we find expressed in modern terms in the teaching of the Second Vatican Council: "Just as human activity proceeds from man, so it is ordered towards man. For when a man works he not only alters things and society, he develops himself as well. He learns much, he cultivates his resources, he goes outside of himself and beyond himself. Rightly understood, this kind of growth is of greater value than any external riches which can be garnered.... Hence, the norm of human activity is this: that in accord with the divine plan and will, it should harmonize with the genuine good of the human race, and allow people as individuals and as members of society to pursue their total vocation and fulfill it."[79]

There is yet another aspect of human work, an essential dimension of it, that is profoundly imbued with the spirituality based on the Gospel. All work, whether manual or intellectual, is inevitably linked with toil.

Sweat and toil, which work necessarily involves in the present condition of the human race, present the Christian and everyone who is called to follow Christ with the possibility of sharing lovingly in the work that Christ came to do.[85] This work of salvation came about through suffering and death on a Cross. By enduring the toil of work in union with Christ crucified for us, man in a way collaborates with the Son of God for the redemption of humanity. He shows himself a true disciple of Christ by carrying the cross in his turn every day[86] in the activity that he is called upon to perform.

The Christian finds in human work a small part of the Cross of Christ and accepts it in the same spirit of redemption in which Christ accepted His Cross for us. In work, thanks to the light that penetrates us from the Resurrection of Christ, we always find a glimmer of new life, of the new good, as if it were an announcement of "the new heavens and the new earth"[88] in which man and the world participate precisely through the toil that goes with work. Through toil--and never without it. . . .

Groves
03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Awesome perseverance, MFN.

You didn't throw in the towel or go postal.

You'll own that place in a year.

Halfcan
03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Congrats!!

seclark
03-08-2011, 09:07 AM
good luck w/it, floopy.
sec

Over-Head
03-08-2011, 09:12 AM
I swear to God this is the worst economic situation that any of us will face in our lifetime. And I give not a ****, because Goddammit, I can pay my bills again. What else really matters?

Not a fucken thing!! Congrats!!

tooge
03-08-2011, 09:23 AM
good deal man! where are you gonna be working? We go to Branson every june and stay down at Big Cedar with the fam, but we get up to Branson two or three times while were there. Always looking for good grub.

Donger
03-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Congratulations.

R8RFAN
03-08-2011, 09:51 AM
What a Long Strange Trip it's been

If you are just 34, it's only just begun...

Good Luck

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for their support in this thread. I turn 34 next month. I sure didn't think 10 years ago that I'd be in this line of work going into my mid 30's. I had to get drunk last night to even post this thread. Honestly, I'm not proud. It's a sign that things in my life haven't gone the way I had planned.

Oh well, I guess. Shit happens. What I am proud of is the fact that I can support my family again the way that I am supposed too. Thanks again.

SAUTO
03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for their support in this thread. I turn 34 next month. I sure didn't think 10 years ago that I'd be in this line of work going into my mid 30's. I had to get drunk last night to even post this thread. Honestly, I'm not proud. It's a sign that things in my life haven't gone the way I had planned.

Oh well, I guess. Shit happens. What I am proud of is the fact that I can support my family again the way that I am supposed too. Thanks again.

hey man anything is better than nothing.

be proud that you actually have the WANT.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 11:29 AM
hey man anything is better than nothing.

be proud that you actually have the WANT.

Man, pride is good, and it can be a bitch. People on this website have done things for me. And I hate getting something for nothing. I'm looking forward to paying things back, and hopefully never having to feel like a shitball mooch ever again. That killed me. Whatever pride I've lost in taking a job like this, sure as fuck doesn't compare to those feelings of the last few months.

tooge
03-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah MFN, just do the best damn job you can as a server because you never know where it could lead. About 5 years ago, we had our business consultant in town and we were out to dinner. We had the most charismatic waitress I've ever had and she just had that "it" factor. My consultant offered her a job on the spot. She declined later, but it just goes to show you that if you are going above and beyond, in any job, someone just might notice.

seclark
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM

hey floppy...i've kept the same job for 30 years. there's lots of other things i wish i could have done, but i knew i could feed my family and pay my bills doing this. you're no different than most of us here. who really gives a $hit what we do, as long as we're getting by?

you're going to do great, and i'm sure you'll make the most of it, furthering yourself as you go.

again, congrats on the job. you deserve it.
sec

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Man, pride is good, and it can be a bitch. People on this website have done things for me. And I hate getting something for nothing. I'm looking forward to paying things back, and hopefully never having to feel like a shitball mooch ever again. That killed me. Whatever pride I've lost in taking a job like this, sure as fuck doesn't compare to those feelings of the last few months.

And since we're being real here, the above post said, it's not like I gave a fuck enough to take an $8 hr job to prevent it in the first place. Pride. The double edged sword.

Saulbadguy
03-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I couldn't do it, no way, no how. I'd rather be a cook or a dishwasher and get paid less.

Every other dish would have my balls draped across them at some point i'd get so infuriated with customers. I get pissed at listening to dirtbags treat waiters like shit and i've never been a waiter.

seclark
03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I couldn't do it, no way, no how. I'd rather be a cook or a dishwasher and get paid less.

Every other dish would have my balls draped across them at some point i'd get so infuriated with customers. I get pissed at listening to dirtbags treat waiters like shit and i've never been a waiter.

i didn't think i could clean afterbirth out of a sows pen, but when the bills come due, and the kids need to eat, i did it.
a job's a job.
sec

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM

I can totally understand this. I just don't give a shit what strangers think about me. I don't get riled up here when someone runs their mouth unless it's someone I respect, and have known for the last few years. Someone I consider a friend, even if it's just on the internet. Fuck 'em. I know that for every shitty customer that tips for shit and treats me like trash in the process, there will be 5 that are awesome. It's a numbers game.

Saulbadguy
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
i didn't think i could clean afterbirth out of a sows pen, but when the bills come due, and the kids need to eat, i did it.
a job's a job.
sec

I'd rather do that than be a waiter. Waiter is literally at the bottom of the list for me. I'd rather jerk off hogs than be a waiter - I don't have the patience for it.

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I can totally understand this. I just don't give a shit what strangers think about me. I don't get riled up here when someone runs their mouth unless it's someone I respect, and have known for the last few years. Someone I consider a friend, even if it's just on the internet. **** 'em. I know that for every shitty customer that tips for shit and treats me like trash in the process, there will be 5 that are awesome. It's a numbers game.

It still helps to practice on toughening the skin. So:

Your breath smells like cat urine.

Remember, I'm doing this because I care.

Mr. Plow
03-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Fuck that man. It's a job, period. Don't let your pride get in the way of providing for yourself & your family - I know it's easier said than done. I've got a lot of respect for people that do it and do it well....and I show my gratitude by being a high tipper. Just the other day, took my oldest son out to lunch. Waiter brought him a refill and my oldest didn't say thank you - I had to say it. Next time he came to the table, I made my son say it and told him that these guys/girls are busting their butts so he can sit on his.....be polite and use your manners.

Simply Red
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2lixvnn.jpg

Simply Red
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I'd rather do that than be a waiter. Waiter is literally at the bottom of the list for me. I'd rather jerk off hogs than be a waiter - I don't have the patience for it.

I'd just like to jerk off hogs.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Fuck that man. It's a job, period. Don't let your pride get in the way of providing for yourself & your family - I know it's easier said than done. I've got a lot of respect for people that do it and do it well....and I show my gratitude by being a high tipper. Just the other day, took my oldest son out to lunch. Waiter brought him a refill and my oldest didn't say thank you - I had to say it. Next time he came to the table, I made my son say it and told him that these guys/girls are busting their butts so he can sit on his.....be polite and use your manners.

I appreciate that, and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. It's not like I'm waiting at Beth's Cafe (Seattle reference FTW!). It's fine dining. It is the creme de la creme in the town I'm working in, and I weigh over 300lbs. That's not easy, and a guy my size has to be somewhat captivating to even get his foot in the door in a place like that.

So while I am disappoint about how some things in my life have gone, I'm pretty happy to be in the position I'm in. It could be a fuck ton worse, and I think that a lot of people can relate to that. Very few people get everything they want, exactly when they want it. The ability to get back on the horse and keep reaching for the stars is what creates success. amirite?

P.S - I'm in pretty decent shape, so if anyone comes into town and wants to have dinner with me, I promise not to sweat in your food. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 11:49 AM
It still helps to practice on toughening the skin. So:

Your breath smells like cat urine.

Remember, I'm doing this because I care.

The fact that you let that cat pee in your butt and then forced me to eat it is a telling statement in itself Mr. Jenson.

Demonpenz
Everything I do today, is based on my experience on being a waiter. Lowered expectations.

Simply Red
any thoughts on moving out of Missouri ever Floppy? Or do you think you'll stay there for a while?

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
The fact that you let that cat pee in your butt and then forced me to eat it is a telling statement in itself Mr. Jenson.

If you keep making fun of my hobbies, I'm going to make fun of your job.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
any thoughts on moving out of Missouri ever Floppy? Or do you think you'll stay there for a while?

Definitely staying. Lower cost of living, this is a good job down here too. Not only that, but it's a business friendly state, and I have no doubt I'll be running my own business again at some point.

Plus, the Chiefs are a 3 hour drive away. Season tickets this year? Fuck. Yes.

Yeah, I love misery. I'm good. I honestly don't even miss Seattle that much anymore. My family up there, and topography, yes. The politics, and retards? Not even a little bit.

Simply Red
03-08-2011, 12:09 PM
that's cool. That's quite a transition though, you have to admit.

Missouri's cool, if i had to live in KC - i'd definitely live out by the Airport - probably around NKC or maybe ten mis. toward KC working back from the Airport.

I like that area and it's milf-heavy.

SAUTO
03-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Definitely staying. Lower cost of living, this is a good job down here too. Not only that, but it's a business friendly state, and I have no doubt I'll be running my own business again at some point.

Plus, the Chiefs are a 3 hour drive away. Season tickets this year? Fuck. Yes.

Yeah, I love misery. I'm good. I honestly don't even miss Seattle that much anymore. My family up there, and topography, yes. The politics, and retards? Not even a little bit.

its just about time for branson to start hopping too.

Graystoke
03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
So this thread isn't about the Grateful Dead then?

Congrats on the job...Keep on Trucking!

MadMax
03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Hang in there Mikee you are a "WINNER" It is bad out there but you my friend will persevere!!

The Franchise
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
#WINNING

Simply Red
03-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh and I have no doubt, MFN, that you'll kick ass and optimize the 'earning-potential' at this new place.

You really do come across as very genuine and sweet, you are handsome enough too.

*ghosting a humping motion*

Pablo
03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Congrats Flop.

Money is money is money.

If you can make enough of it in this shitty economy to get by, you're in fine shape.

go bo
03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
congrats, flop...

i've waited a few tables in my day and it's good honest work...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Good week. Wife was just hired 10 minutes ago. We're all fucking working again. Thank God.

R8RFAN
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Good week. Wife was just hired 10 minutes ago. We're all ****ing working again. Thank God.

God is great... Good for you and your family.

Hammock Parties
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Good week. Wife was just hired 10 minutes ago. We're all fucking working again. Thank God.

Now you can quit your job. #WINNING

OnTheWarpath15
03-11-2011, 04:04 PM

LMAO

Bi-winning.

mnchiefsguy
03-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Congrats on the wife's job!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM

LMAO

Bi-winning.

#torpedoesoftruth :D She's either in my corner, or she's with the trolls.

Stewie
03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Congrats Floppy! After all this time, two jobs within a week. Awesome!

kc rush
03-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Glad you found something, and something you enjoy. Glad your wife found something too.