PDA

View Full Version : Poop Aspen, Colorado

DaFace
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Has anyone ever been there and actually thought, "Man, I wish I was rich enough to live here"? I went there a few years back with the wife (just driving through), and was underwhelmed. I went back over the past couple days on business, and I honestly don't understand why all the rich people want to live there. The ski resort is reasonably OK I'd imagine, but there a ton in the country that are undoubtedly at least on that level or better.

To me, it's just a really expensive shopping mall with a decent ski slope.

Anyone happen to have a counterpoint? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing. It's such an iconic town, I feel like there's got to be some appeal to the place.

Is there really that much appeal of living someplace purely so that you can say you live there and can live among other rich people?

[/end pseudo-ranty questiony stuff]

KCrockaholic
03-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Last time I went to Aspen, I had a gay guy trying to get all over me. Full of rich people, and pillowbiters.

KurtCobain
03-09-2011, 11:17 PM
If I had money I'd leave the cold not play in it.

Bugeater
03-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Eh, I suppose it's one of those places where rich people go just to be around other rich people, and prices and land values are artificially inflated to keep the poor people away.

JOhn
03-09-2011, 11:22 PM
:thumb:

After this winter I feel the same...

cdcox
I went there the last time I went snow skiing, like 25 years ago. We went to visit my brother and sil, who had just had their their first kid. It was nice but I wasn't wowed. I wonder if it is the isolation that is the big draw for the rich and famous? It isn't the easiest resort to get to. We saw Charles Bronson and Dick Van Patten when we were there. My brother rode a lift with Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr one time and had a nice 10 minute chat.

JOhn
Eh, I suppose it's one of those places where rich people go just to be around other rich people, and prices and land values are artificially inflated to keep the poor people away.

Jackson Hole WY....:shake:

Bugeater
03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
What I'm really saying is, it's likely the type of place that Donger would like to hang out at.

cdcox
03-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Your geography is just challenged in the delta elevation department.

WV
03-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Too liberal.........

stevieray
03-09-2011, 11:59 PM
it's like (they hide it up in)Telluride ...location, it takes awhile to get there...so you've got the seclusion.

Fat Elvis
03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Last time I went to Aspen, I had a gay guy trying to get all over me. Full of rich people, and pillowbiters.

Guess that iswhy they pronounce it "ass-pen."

Chief_For_Life58
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
The skiing is pretty good over all in aspen compared to the other colorado resorts. You have 4 different ski resorts to choose from if youre in the area. Snowmass is definiately almost on par with Vail in terms of enjoyment. They also get a good amount of snow. Definately a "what do you got" mentality in aspen. Town really isnt anything that great. If i was super loaded I wouldnt choose aspen to built my mega mansion.

brorth
08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm going to the Aspen Ruggerfest Sept 14-16 to be an honorary Pitt St Silverback.
Whatever pristine image is held of Aspen is soiled one weekend a year when the town hosts Ruggerfest.
The rugby pitch is at Wagner Park in downtown. It sits between E Hyman & E Durant, and S Mill & S Monarch.
In that park will be 500-600 of the dirtiest, most depraved individuals one can imagine.
They will beat the ever loving piss out of one another for 12 hours a day, and then they'll get drunk.
If ever one needed a photographic definition of juxtaposition, opportunities will abound as drunken ruggers chase the ladies of Aspen through downtown before passing out in front of expensive boutiques, balls fully exposed.

chaotic646
08-28-2012, 08:55 AM
It didn't look that great on Dumb and Dumber...

vailpass
08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
There are a ton of hills in the US that are at least as good or better than Aspen/ Snowmass/Buttermilk? With Vail right down the road a piece?
Don't forget the summer aspect as well.

I wouldn't want to live in any resort and agree with you that Aspen is mighty full of itself. Most don't live there, they just own places there and in several other places as well. Vail fits who I am a whole lot better than Aspen (shocker, I'm sure).

DaFace
08-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Whoa random bump.

Donger
08-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Other than Maroon Bells, which is fucking gorgeous, Aspen doesn't impress me at all.

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Whoa random bump.

I was very confused about why you were recently in Aspen.

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Other than Maroon Bells, which is ****ing gorgeous, Aspen doesn't impress me at all.

Y'know, I'm with you and DaFace. I've got nothing against Aspen and it's a nice place, but it's not my favorite mountain town, and it's ten times more expensive than others that I find more enjoyable.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Wife and I are heading to Eagle/Vail Co on thursday.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Y'know, I'm with you and DaFace. I've got nothing against Aspen and it's a nice place, but it's not my favorite mountain town, and it's ten times more expensive than others that I find more enjoyable.

That's the point, right? To keep it from going the Telluride route in reverse.

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Are you going to Vail, Eagle, Eagle-Vail, or Eagle County?

(They really need to show a little more imagination in their naming conventions up there.)

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Are you going to Vail, Eagle, Eagle-Vail, or Eagle County?

(They really need to show a little more imagination in their naming conventions up there.)

I fly into KEGE, She airlines in later that afternoon. I guess we are staying in Eagle...

Who knows, its all so confusing.

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I fly into KEGE, She airlines in later that afternoon. I guess we are staying in Eagle...

Who knows, its all so confusing.

Eagle-Vail is the town the slays me. They just took the names of two other towns in the county and added them with a hyphen. Who thought that was a good idea?

BigRichard
08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm going to the Aspen Ruggerfest Sept 14-16 to be an honorary Pitt St Silverback.
Whatever pristine image is held of Aspen is soiled one weekend a year when the town hosts Ruggerfest.
The rugby pitch is at Wagner Park in downtown. It sits between E Hyman & E Durant, and S Mill & S Monarch.
In that park will be 500-600 of the dirtiest, most depraved individuals one can imagine.
They will beat the ever loving piss out of one another for 12 hours a day, and then they'll get drunk.
If ever one needed a photographic definition of juxtaposition, opportunities will abound as drunken ruggers chase the ladies of Aspen through downtown before passing out in front of expensive boutiques, balls fully exposed.

I figured they would have more then 5 -6 hundred donk fans running around there.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Eagle-Vail is the town the slays me. They just took the names of two other towns in the county and added them with a hyphen. Who thought that was a good idea?

That's a whole lost of brand name recognition for free though.

Donger
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
What's the name of that abandoned Superfund mining town near Minturn? I love that place. It's like our own little Chernobyl.

Frankie
08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Has anyone ever been there and actually thought, "Man, I wish I was rich enough to live here"?

I've been to Aspen and I understand your point. My utopia is the Coronado Island off of San Diego. BTW, the ONLY place in California I would live in.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 11:06 AM
What's the name of that abandoned Superfund mining town near Minturn? I love that place. It's like our own little Chernobyl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilman,_Colorado

This place?

brorth
08-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Whoa random bump.

I didn't know what would be worse, ban for random bump or ban for not using the search feature. :)

I was going to start a thread asking about possible TV spots in Aspen, but using your thread gave me WAY more street cred. :usa:

Donger
08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilman,_Colorado

This place?

Yep, that's it.

brorth
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM

I guess the fact that we're not there in ski season helps, but we got a two bedroom condo three blocks from Wagner Park (our destination) for $350 for four nights.
I'm sure the ancillaries will be more expensive ( hello $4.67 a gallon!), but the group I'll be with couldn't contain themselves in Ruth's Chris, so we'll probably end up being dollar menunaires until we're kicked out of every place in Aspen or Snowmass with a value menu.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 11:30 AM
I guess the fact that we're not there in ski season helps, but we got a two bedroom condo three blocks from Wagner Park (our destination) for $350 for four nights.
I'm sure the ancillaries will be more expensive ( hello $4.67 a gallon!), but the group I'll be with couldn't contain themselves in Ruth's Chris, so we'll probably end up being dollar menunaires until we're kicked out of every place in Aspen or Snowmass with a value menu.

Dollar menu items are $2.00

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I've been to Aspen and I understand your point. My utopia is the Coronado Island off of San Diego. BTW, the ONLY place in California I would live in.

I could live in Laguna Beach if I was retired and never had to enter Los Angeles. However, it still wouldn't be #1 on my list over several Colorado locations.

My wife and I were in Cambria earlier this year, and we both were quite enamored with it. I don't know if I would put it on my list based on one visit, but it's worth more exploration. It seemed to have a good California vibe without the bad California vibe, and had a nice combination of mountains and ocean and trees.

Buehler445
08-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Do you ever work?

loochy
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Dollar menu items are $2.00

LOL seriously? Even in Vegas the dollar menu is a dollar...

brorth
08-28-2012, 11:58 AM
I figured they would have more then 5 -6 hundred donk fans running around there.

I'm always impressed with the lack of decorum a drunken rugby mob can display.
A group of boys who have standing rules like a set of balls must be visible in every photo of more than one rugger, or all present in the photo are owed a punch in the face. It's a real bitch for those guys if that photo gets passed around.
A group of boys who use the word cunt with a frequency rivaled only by the Smurfs use of their own name. Setting doesn't matter. Ever been in a wedding where someone stood up and said "Don't do it, you stupid cunt! That stupid cunt will cut off your balls and shove them up her cunt and then punch you in the taint until you've got a cunt of your own!"? I have.
The songs that will be sung in downtown Aspen will be heard above all. Profanities will echo off buildings, and bounce down nearby streets. Children will ask their parents to sing them the Titties song. Children will ask their parents why all those nasty men used to Work in Chicago. Children will ask their parents if the S&M Man is real, and if a cheese grater dildo really makes pussy parmesan.
I hear you, Donks fans are scum, I don't get how they can like those colors. But these boys will make Donks fans vomit from nervousness.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Do you ever work?

Its a 5 Day trip... So I flew the wife out... o:-)

Oh its gonna be fun......

vailpass
08-28-2012, 12:36 PM
LOL seriously? Even in Vegas the dollar menu is a dollar...

Yep. Vegas is king of cheap food. Aspen doesn't mind if you go **** yourself.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm always impressed with the lack of decorum a drunken rugby mob can display.
A group of boys who have standing rules like a set of balls must be visible in every photo of more than one rugger, or all present in the photo are owed a punch in the face. It's a real bitch for those guys if that photo gets passed around.
A group of boys who use the word **** with a frequency rivaled only by the Smurfs use of their own name. Setting doesn't matter. Ever been in a wedding where someone stood up and said "Don't do it, you stupid ****! That stupid **** will cut off your balls and shove them up her **** and then punch you in the taint until you've got a **** of your own!"? I have.
The songs that will be sung in downtown Aspen will be heard above all. Profanities will echo off buildings, and bounce down nearby streets. Children will ask their parents to sing them the Titties song. Children will ask their parents why all those nasty men used to Work in Chicago. Children will ask their parents if the S&M Man is real, and if a cheese grater dildo really makes pussy parmesan.
I hear you, Donks fans are scum, I don't get how they can like those colors. But these boys will make Donks fans vomit from nervousness.

Cool. You guys knock the punctuation right out of each other huh?

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Waht is there to do in Eagle/Vail this time of the year?

vailpass
08-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Do you golf?

Graystoke
08-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Fish?

vailpass
08-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Fish?

Mountain bike. Hike.

Find a hot rock in the middle of the stream, sink a six pack on a rope into the water to chill, spread a blanket on the rock, hang in the middle of a rocky mountain stream on a beautiful summer day with the lady.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Do you golf?

Yes, we already have a t-time on friday... Capt Skip took care of that.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Fish?\

any guided trips up there?

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Mountain bike. Hike.

Find a hot rock in the middle of the stream, sink a six pack on a rope into the water to chill, spread a blanket on the rock, hang in the middle of a rocky mountain stream on a beautiful summer day with the lady.

Bears?

vailpass
08-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Bears?

Hell no. At least, not like Alaska where they own the creek side.

DaFace
08-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Mountain bike. Hike.

Did you used to live in Vail? I assume you have some connection with the area, but I've never been sure.

Graystoke
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
\

any guided trips up there?

Get a map, talk to the local fly shop. You don't need no guided trip.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Did you used to live in Vail? I assume you have some connection with the area, but I've never been sure.

Have/had relatives on my dad's side in Colorado all my life. Saw my first game in MileHigh during the Centennial in 1976 while visiting, just a little boy but I was hooked.

Lived in Denver/Golden 4 years early-mid '90s., spent as much time as I could up 70. Love the country, loved to camp in Rifle, Pine, etc. Beers at the bucksnort, condos in vail with a bunch of classmates, etc. etc.
Used to look forward to Sniagrab to gear up for the season, heavy powder days were a sure day to skip class. Had never skiied much before moving there, nickname on slopes was 'yardsale'.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Yes, we already have a t-time on friday... Capt Skip took care of that.

Good then. You could take the wife for lunch/cocktail at Talon's Deck in the Eagle's Nest. Cool gondola ride up and hella view. (if still there?)

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
We have now planned a horse back ride, zip line, atv adventure and golf...

That and some calm quiet R&R should about take care of the weekend.

Donger
08-28-2012, 01:28 PM

My wife's answer is: "Shop in Vail village!" Warning: take a LOT of money.

I do like the village. It's really pretty and there's a trail along Gore Creek, which is nice. Some chair lifts will be open, too.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
We have now planned a horse back ride, zip line, atv adventure and golf...

That and some calm quiet R&R should about take care of the weekend.

You realize there is no way to keep the ice cubes in your drink while on horseback?

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 01:32 PM
You realize there is no way to keep the ice cubes in your drink while on horseback?

Yes I do... I have pretty much everything planned in the morning.

Evening times will be some quailty drinking time.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2012, 01:33 PM
My wife's answer is: "Shop in Vail village!" Warning: take a LOT of money.

I do like the village. It's really pretty and there's a trail along Gore Creek, which is nice. Some chair lifts will be open, too.

ah okay, sounds like a good place for an evening walk.

vailpass
08-28-2012, 01:44 PM
ah okay, sounds like a good place for an evening walk.

Village is the goods.

DaFace
08-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Have/had relatives on my dad's side in Colorado all my life. Saw my first game in MileHigh during the Centennial in 1976 while visiting, just a little boy but I was hooked.

Lived in Denver/Golden 4 years early-mid '90s., spent as much time as I could up 70. Love the country, loved to camp in Rifle, Pine, etc. Beers at the bucksnort, condos in vail with a bunch of classmates, etc. etc.
Used to look forward to Sniagrab to gear up for the season, heavy powder days were a sure day to skip class. Had never skiied much before moving there, nickname on slopes was 'yardsale'.

Cool - I'm kind of the same way. I had never skiied before moving here, and first tried out the bunny slopes back in December '08, but now I'm hooked. I usually aim to get at least 20-25 days in the hills each season, though Rain Man doesn't like it as much when I skip class. :)

vailpass
08-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Cool - I'm kind of the same way. I had never skiied before moving here, and first tried out the bunny slopes back in December '08, but now I'm hooked. I usually aim to get at least 20-25 days in the hills each season, though Rain Man doesn't like it as much when I skip class. :)

:D

Yeah once you realize you live in a place that people fly into ski from all over the world you have to get into it.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I spent some time in Aspen back in the early '90s with one of my buddies, Dex. We were ski instructors. The womens... damn they were fine! I hooked up with this hot blonde radio chick. My buddy got into drugs, though. It was rough going for a while, be he got clean again, and we ended up skiing in the Powder 8.

stevieray
08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
it's on the western range....privacy is the main reason, like Telluride.