PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 20

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Another heat where I'll be listening to a lot of youtube. Hopefully I make some discoveries like that wonderful new group I found in the last heat, Rage Against The Machine.

Bugeater
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Layla is the only song worthy of advancing.

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Have you ever heard of a song called Johnny B. Goode? Go watch Michael J. Fox debut it in Back to the Future and then get back with me.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Have you ever heard of a song called Johnny B. Goode? Go watch Michael J. Fox debut it in Back to the Future and then get back with me.

But hurry before he disappears from the picture.

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 05:15 PM

Oh, and what the heck? Born in the USA? One of the great coming of age songs ever written?

patteeu
03-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm going to have a hard time narrowing this field down.

ISUJeff
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
C'mon, gotta vote for the Layla.
Possibly the greatest guitar rock song ever

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 05:36 PM
My reactions after youtubing:

Out Ta Get Me, Guns N Roses - My trash cans are more musical, and they're plastic.

Mississippi Queen, Mountain - Eh. I've heard better, I've heard worse.

Surrender, Cheap Trick - Oh, I know that song. Pretty good. Not great, but good. I'd be fine if it advances.

Check It Out, John Mellencamp - Nice song. Didn't blow my ears off, but nice. I can see people voting for it.

Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry - If this isn't everybody's Vote #1, there's a problem.

Born in the USA, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - I could listen to this forever. Vote #2.

Layla, Derek and the Dominoes - Oh, I know this song. I don't know the lyrics, but the guitar is good. Let's go with it for Vote #3. (However, now that I know this song, I wish "Lola" by the Kinks had beaten "Layla" in the inclusion poll. I like Lola better than Layla.)

You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC - Oh, I know this song. It's an above-average AC/DC song. It's got a good beat and I can dance to it. Not quite vote-worthy, but not bad. Not exactly innovative, though.

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
21 voters and not a single suckage vote yet. That's pretty impressive.

cdcox
03-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Layla and Mississippi Queen were easy votes for me.

I didn't vote for Born in the USA because it was too close to Layla in the poll. Went with Surrender instead.

KurtCobain
03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Hopefully I make some discoveries like that wonderful new group I found in the last heat, Rage Against The Machine.

Awesome.

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Layla and Mississippi Queen were easy votes for me.

I didn't vote for Born in the USA because it was too close to Layla in the poll. Went with Surrender instead.

Hisssss.

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
If you don't vote for Born in the USA, you're voting for the terrorists.

Third Eye
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
By all rights, there are 4 songs that simply should move on from this heat.

patteeu
03-11-2011, 08:12 PM
By all rights, there are 4 songs that simply should move on from this heat.

Which ones? I like 6 of them.

Bugeater
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Just because I deem a song unworthy of advancing doesn't mean I don't like it.

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Just because I deem a song unworthy of advancing doesn't mean I don't like it.

but it's johnny b. goode. it's THE rock and roll song.
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
03-11-2011, 09:00 PM
but it's johnny b. goode. it's THE rock and roll song.
Posted via Mobile DeviceI voted for it. Had to.

Bugeater
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I would've voted for this Chuck Berry song:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ykCYwhfdMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
It hurt me to pass on some of these songs. Mississippi Queen, in particular, was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Layla and You Shook me are also really good songs that I could vote for in a different heat, but I ended up choosing Cheap Trick, Chuck Berry, and Bruce Springsteen here.

Rasputin
03-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Can't understand how Alice Cooper got dissed in any of these polls?

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qga5eONXU_4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qga5eONXU_4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

--

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXZcJojTucg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXZcJojTucg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" widt<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qq4j1LtCdww?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qq4j1LtCdww?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>h="640" height="390"></object>

--

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Shutting it down. Moving on are:

Born in the USA, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
Layla, Derek and the Dominoes
You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC

All posturing aside, I'm really surprised about the demise of Johnny B. Goode. I really figured that was a song that would make it deep, deep into the tournament or even possibly win the whole thing.

Predarat
03-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Can't understand how Alice Cooper got dissed in any of these polls?

--

My gosh id probably vote for both of those.

siberian khatru
03-13-2011, 06:54 PM
All posturing aside, I'm really surprised about the demise of Johnny B. Goode. I really figured that was a song that would make it deep, deep into the tournament or even possibly win the whole thing.

Word

KcMizzou
03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
All posturing aside, I'm really surprised about the demise of Johnny B. Goode. I really figured that was a song that would make it deep, deep into the tournament or even possibly win the whole thing.I voted for it. And I don't know what song could have made me vote against it in future rounds.

Bugeater
03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Shutting it down. Moving on are:

Born in the USA, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
Layla, Derek and the Dominoes
You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC

It's becoming clear to me that some lame-ass AC/DC song is going to win it all.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
It's becoming clear to me that some lame-ass AC/DC song is going to win it all.

That's what's scaring me about this. There's so much good rock and roll out there that there's no excuse for AC/DC even making it to the semi-finals. That song with the bagpipes was actually pretty good, and AC/DC is better than a lot of the hair bands, but they're still not semi-finals material by any means.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I voted for it. And I don't know what song could have made me vote against it in future rounds.

Same here. Johnny B. Goode is kind of the definition of rock and roll. It's like the pyramids - an ancient accomplishment that nonetheless outstrips anything that came after it.

KcMizzou
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
That's what's scaring me about this. There's so much good rock and roll out there that there's no excuse for AC/DC even making it to the semi-finals. That song with the bagpipes was actually pretty good, and AC/DC is better than a lot of the hair bands, but they're still not semi-finals material by any means.I don't think even the members of AC/DC would claim to be the best ever. What they do is admittedly (by them) pretty basic and simple, but they're really good at it, and there's always been a huge market for it.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't think even the members of AC/DC would claim to be the best ever. What they do is admittedly (by them) pretty basic and simple, but they're really good at it, and there's always been a huge market for it.

I'll admit that I like them better after the tournament than before it.

Bugeater
03-13-2011, 07:29 PM
That's what's scaring me about this. There's so much good rock and roll out there that there's no excuse for AC/DC even making it to the semi-finals. That song with the bagpipes was actually pretty good, and AC/DC is better than a lot of the hair bands, but they're still not semi-finals material by any means.
I'm shocked at how insanely popular they still are. I mean, I liked them and all when I was a teenager, but I freaking moved on and I assumed most others did as well. Guess that's not the case at all.

yhf
03-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Mountain did not advance.

This heat had the last chance to restore a bit of credibility to the rocknpoll. I am Pontius Pilate, I wash my hands of it. The blood of the rocknpoll is on the hands of the woefully tasteless. The failure of this poll is equivalent to the unjust crucifixion of Jesus Christ. You have all damned your wretched souls to excruciating auditory hell with nonstop muzak provided by shitty eighty bands and a buncha shit that aint rocknroll.

God have mercy on your unrefined souls.

Bugeater
03-13-2011, 07:35 PM

This heat had the last chance to restore a bit of credibility to the rocknpoll. I am Pontius Pilate, I wash my hands of it. The blood of the rocknpoll is on the hands of the woefully tasteless. The failure of this poll is equivalent to the unjust crucifixion of Jesus Christ. You have all damned your wretched souls to excruciating auditory hell with nonstop muzak provided by shitty eighty bands and a buncha shit that aint rocknroll.

Oh yeah, all that stuff too.

siberian khatru
03-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Preach it, brother.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Maybe I'll have to listen to Mountain again and see why it killed Jesus.